• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Anyone find it weird that the Presentation is 22 minutes. Joker's was only 15 minutes, and that presentation Showed his Trailer, Gameplay Explantion, Stage, Stage Builder, Mii Costumes, etc

We already saw Hero's Trailer too, so what's with the 7 minute increase

My theory is either we gonna see Sakurai Play a match With Hero in the Presentation.... A Extensive New mode...or
We getting Geno
Agree we're getting
mii costume of Geno again, seriously why do people keep making expectations like this?

kylexv

Smash Master
The Japanese Trailer says it is a gameplay demo done by Sakurai. Personally, I find additional content unlikely.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Version 4.0 is also releasing, so I guess they'll go over the other new content. Home run contest most probably, but maybe something else too. Dunno.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Anyone find it weird that the Presentation is 22 minutes. Joker's was only 15 minutes, and that presentation Showed his Trailer, Gameplay Explantion, Stage, Stage Builder, Mii Costumes, etc

We already saw Hero's Trailer too, so what's with the 7 minute increase

My theory is either we gonna see Sakurai Play a match With Hero in the Presentation.... A Extensive New mode...or
We getting Geno
Being some of this is a demo ala a Treehouse kind of thing. There's a good chance a full match is played (or even 2 or 3). And that can take at the very least 5-7 minutes of the time away. And Hero has lots of moves to explain how they work compared to Joker. Also please keep expectations in check otherwise you end up with a situation where people thought the 40 minute Smash direct in November only added to the proof that the 7 characters of the Grinch Leak were true.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Anyway, what character would prove to be a huge surprise to you if they’re announced? Barring popularly talked about and therefore “expected” characters like Doom Slayer, Hayabusa, Lloyd, RE/PW character, and Porky.

Who would be the surprise curveball for you?
Sony characters. After Joker, I’ve finally realized that damn near everyone is on the table. Banjo only helped to confirm that. Hell, Master Chief is a legitimate pick now, not just a joke/crazy dream; that’s insane & just a year ago no one would’ve believed he had a shot.

But I still think Sony characters are in the “Definitely Not Happening” side of things. Sony doesn’t like playing with others. Sony had to be bullied by the entire gaming community to join in on Cross Play. & from what I’ve heard there’s still bad blood between Sony/Nintendo on the Japanese side of things.

A Sony character is the one thing that would make my mouth drop down in shock. Not to mention that I think Ratchet & Clank, Kratos, Nathan Drake & Sly Cooper would all be great fits for Smash. With the former 3 being the faces of PlayStation & Sly just being a cool character/series.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Sony characters. After Joker, I’ve finally realized that damn near everyone is on the table. Banjo only helped to confirm that. Hell, Master Chief is a legitimate pick now, not just a joke/crazy dream; that’s insane & just a year ago no one would’ve believed he had a shot.

But I still think Sony characters are in the “Definitely Not Happening” side of things. Sony doesn’t like playing with others. Sony had to be bullied by the entire gaming community to join in on Cross Play. & from what I’ve heard there’s still bad blood between Sony/Nintendo on the Japanese side of things.

A Sony character is the one thing that would make my mouth drop down in shock. Not to mention that I think Ratchet & Clank, Kratos, Nathan Drake & Sly Cooper would all be great fits for Smash. With the former 3 being the faces of PlayStation & Sly just being a cool character/series.
A Sony character would break the internet more than any other character I can think of.
Its not happening right now, that's for sure.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I'm glad we're finally getting some news on when Hero will drop. I'm mostly expecting this to be a Treehouse kind of deal where Sakurai plays a few matches with Hero and then goes into detail about additional Dragon Quest content, Mii costumes, and possibly Home Run Contest. Expecting anything more would just be setting yourself up for disappointment tbh. Given how early this presentation is taking place, I wouldn't be all too surprised if Hero dropped that night, since Smash DLC usually drops at around 8-9 in the evening.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Nintendo really should be more transparent with their DLC schedule. And likewise with Netherrealms as well.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo really should be more transparent with their DLC schedule. And likewise with Netherrealms as well.
Could very well be an issue with development in regards that not even them are sure when it is expected to drop aside from a vague window of when it is projected to end. Software development and projects are kinda complicated to determine exact dates from the get-go.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

I'm kinda interested in the whole bad blood between Sony and Nintendo thing if only because I don't know the story

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Finally getting news? Wasn't this character revealed last month?

This is one of the quickest reveals to (probable) release.

Consider that the duration between E3 and now is probably the amount of time we'll still have to wait for the Banjo info dump.

I'm kinda interested in the whole bad blood between Sony and Nintendo thing if only because I don't know the story
Nintendo and Sony were going to partner on a CD-based peripheral for the Super Nintendo and a hybrid cartridge/disc system, but Nintendo were displeased with the how Sony would retain rights of the hardware and revenue of the software, so they covertly made a deal with Philips instead (spawning those legendarily awful Zelda games and Hotel Mario), thus breaking contract with the uninformed Sony, who then took the existing partial assets and created the Playstation.

Sometimes Yamauchi sounds like he was a real sunovabich. :/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

勇者 early August (like first week, before or during EVO for sure).
Banjo-Kazooie in mid-October
No.4 for December (before Xmas)
No.5 for Feb

reveals for 4 and 5, probably simultaneously in Nov. If not, 4 reveal at TGS in September (doubtful), and 5 reveal at the Game Awards.

Methinks

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So the Hero video is 7 minutes longer than the Joker video? I can't imagine that his moveset would take more time to explain than Joker's unless they do a deep dive into the nitty gritty of the magic system. So where do we reckon that time is going? More time devoted to a new mode? A 5 minute apology to Geno fans for being a costume? Surprise character 4 reveal? All of the above?

EDIT: Just saw Sakurai's tweet that this will be unscripted. So I'm not sure what that means for new information outside of Hero...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So the Hero video is 7 minutes longer than the Joker video? I can't imagine that his moveset would take more time to explain than Joker's unless they do a deep dive into the nitty gritty of the magic system. So where do we reckon that time is going? More time devoted to a new mode? A 5 minute apology to Geno fans for being a costume? Surprise character 4 reveal? All of the above?
Hero has at least 10 specials along with their own meter, so I can see their moveset taking more time to explain than Joker's. Not to mention we'll appearently have some streamed gameplay, so it's not like they have to reveal new things nonstop.

A new mode being revealed is likely, but I don't think another franchise stealing the spotlight from Dragon Quest. Which, I hope is the case, I wasn't a fan of how Banjo overshadowed it.

D

Deleted member

EDIT: Just saw Sakurai's tweet that this will be unscripted. So I'm not sure what that means for new information outside of Hero...
Yeah, the 22 mins thing is a mistranslation from NOA. It says 22時 which means it's a 22 o clock Japan time.

D

Deleted member

I’ve been waiting this day for around ten years.

Hopefully I manage to kill some time before it happens.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
After seeing Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo Italy leak the release date of July 31st I could see Hero dropping at the same time Joker did. That would mean Hero will be released tomorrow night on July 30th for us in America. I say this because in Europe the CEST time that Joker dropped was 3AM on April 18, but in America it was around 9PM EST on April 17. I think it's highly likely Hero will drop in around 12 hours after Sakurai's video presentation. This is all just speculation on my part.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After seeing Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo Italy leak the release date of July 31st I could see Hero dropping at the same time Joker did. That would mean Hero will be released tomorrow night on July 30th for us in America. I say this because in Europe the CEST time that Joker dropped was 3AM on April 18, but in America it was 9PM EST on April 17. I think it's highly likely Hero will drop in around 12 hours after Sakurai's video presentation. This is all just speculation on my part.
That would be freaking awesome if I don’t lose my bet tomorrow.

But I feel I may win it anyway.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
After seeing Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo Italy leak the release date of July 31st I could see Hero dropping at the same time Joker did. That would mean Hero will be released tomorrow night on July 30th for us in America. I say this because in Europe the CEST time that Joker dropped was 3AM on April 18, but in America it was around 9PM EST on April 17. I think it's highly likely Hero will drop in around 12 hours after Sakurai's video presentation. This is all just speculation on my part.
My guess is that it will drop tomorrow, and will be fully available on Wednesday after the servers restart after what is essentially a DDOS attack from so many fans wanting to download the patch.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
While we discuss Hero...
It's probably too early to discuss his competitive viability, but why don't we?

Personally, I see a few cool gimmics being found at launch, which makes everyone think he's broken, and then nerfs hit and he's one of those "midteir that should be higher but is too technical for most player, thus artificially low placements in teir lists". Either that, or he's eventually heavily slept on until some cool techs are found and he gets a devoted player base (like Pac Man or Duck Hunt).
Banjo will probably be super popular as mains not for his cool techs but for actual popularity as a character, but he'll be a mid-high or mid teir I presume. He reminds me a lot of Link, a semi-heavy with some zoner tenancies, from what I've seen.
It's far too early to accurately pin them on lists, but these are just my predictions.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My guess is that it will drop tomorrow, and will be fully available on Wednesday after the servers restart after what is essentially a DDOS attack from so many fans wanting to download the patch.
You're probably right, but, man, it'd be so dumb to release a character the week before EVO...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
do you expect the mii costumes will just be square-enix or rpg-themed characters.
RPG-themed with the majority being Square Enix. Remember when the Lloyd Costume was added in 4? It was with Cloud, despite him being Square and Lloyd being Namco. Which is why I don’t put a lot of stock into Mii Costume theory to begin with. Including Sonic costumes with Joker was just a coincidence imo.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
RPG-themed with the majority being Square Enix. Remember when the Lloyd Costume was added in 4? It was with Cloud, despite him being Square and Lloyd being Namco. Which is why I don’t put a lot of stock into Mii Costume theory to begin with. Including Sonic costumes with Joker was just a coincidence imo.
What? Only the Geno and Chocobo costumes were added with Cloud in December. Lloyd was added in August with two of the N64 stages along with K. Rool, Chrom and some others.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What? Only the Geno and Chocobo costumes were added with Cloud in December. Lloyd was added in August with two of the N64 stages along with K. Rool, Chrom and some others.
Oh was it? I don’t really remember at this point

But you don’t have to have Mii Costumes as the same company as a third party character with their releasd

D

Deleted member

do you expect the mii costumes will just be square-enix or rpg-themed characters.
I expect the Chocobo hat, Geno costume, 2 DQ themed Mii costumes representing characters (Alena and Yangus please) and an additional Slime hat. Any additional costume would be based on another SE property.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Speaking of 4chan posts, it looks like that one post that has Joker, Banjo, Edel, Sylux, and a Square Rep started getting posted a bit more often. Anyone know where I can find that post that pointed out how the picks were based on rumors, missing spirits due to the datamine, and a surprise pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom