• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Today's the day if the stars will align tonight............. again!

It's going to be crushed probably but I'm used to that.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Oops, I posted the wrong thing here so ignore that.
This is a newcomer speculation thread, why we return to cuts talk every other page?

Makes me wonder how surprising the last two characters will be. Unlike Smash 4, this time DLC seems to get increasingly safer with each reveal.
Yeah because licensing one of your competitor's characters, not even the most profitable one mind you but one that's been inactive for almost a decade, it totally a safe pick...
EDIT: Could Roll or Protoman/Bass (if you were to go the Chrom route...) work as an echo of Megaman, maybe that used scrapped custom moves from Smash 4 that were based on other Megaman attacks?

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
My curve ball Konami pick would definitely be Goemon from Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon.

Please Nintendo and Konami. PLEASE?!?!

KillerCage

Smash Master
Anyway, what character would prove to be a huge surprise to you if they’re announced? Barring popularly talked about and therefore “expected” characters like Doom Slayer, Hayabusa, Lloyd, RE/PW character, and Porky.

Who would be the surprise curveball for you?
Anyone who is already in Ultimate as a Assist Trophy or Spirit would surprise me, but the BIG one is Master Chief.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, what character would prove to be a huge surprise to you if they’re announced? Barring popularly talked about and therefore “expected” characters like Doom Slayer, Hayabusa, Lloyd, RE/PW character, and Porky.

Who would be the surprise curveball for you?
Battletoads?
Teenage Murant Ninja Turtles?
Bimmy and Jimmy Lee?
At this point I just hope it’s a character I can get excited for. I never played Persona or Dragon Quest, and I’ve played Banjo-Kazooie but it came out when I was a teenager so I don’t have as much attachment to them as some others might.

I still expect something like Ryu Hayabusa/Ayane and a Resident Evil character, but even I admit those are still within the speculation circuit and I’m hoping to get thrown for a loop.

D

Deleted member

Honestly regarding the cuts talk, I'm going to be honest and seriously don't take it personally. You have no idea how relieved I am that Sakurai is in charge of making the decisions.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It's practically a miracle that all of these guest characters are in the same game. There's usually around 3 Guest fighters per fighting game and they don't return in the next installment but here we have over 10 of them with several of them being returning characters. But with all of the licenses that Nintendo is juggling with right now, several of them are going to get cut next game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
EDIT: Could Roll or Protoman/Bass (if you were to go the Chrom route...) work as an echo of Megaman, maybe that used scrapped custom moves from Smash 4 that were based on other Megaman attacks?
I don't think they would do Roll since she doesn't have the same abilities as Mega Man. In her only playable appearance in the main series games, she has an attack called Roll Swing (a melee strike with her broom) and doesn't gain any Robot Master weapons. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 did have Roll as a clone of Mega Man though (even down to giving her the Mega Buster) so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Proto Man & Bass can fit into Mega Man's playstyle really easily with a few tweaks to account for the lack of a Mega Upper, the differences in the Proto Buster and Bass Buster, and the fact that Proto Man and Bass don't have as many incarnations of themselves to do Mega Legends with.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I understand that nobody wants to a lose a character they like, but it's not personal. Neither is speculation on who might get cut. Cuts are typically a big part of how rosters change from game to game. Getting precious about it won't change that.

My two favourite characters, Cloud and Banjo, are at among the highest risk of getting cut going forward, and I don't relish that, but I accept it. Were the topic revolving around the likeliest cuts, I'd definitely volunteer those two. This site is a lot more reticent to entertain the notion of losing characters than others, as if it weren't "fair" to that fanbase. Idk, maybe it's because other sites aren't solely dedicated to Smash, and therefore see how most rosters wax and wane. Who knows. This site tends to treat the roster as more infallible than other places.

Because the "fairness" is, to me, a strange perspective from which to judge it. Firstly, that character actually got in. The fanbase always has the option to play the game(s) with those characters. Many perfectly qualified characters never get in. And it's not like a lot of these characters are ensured tenure. I could understand if Sakurai said "we added x and they're never ever ever getting cut!" and then they get cut. That's unfair. This is just... how rosters tend to work. So discussion reflecting that seems, ironically enough, fair.

Though I understand "Newcomer Speculation" isn't exactly the optimal place to bring it up, but honestly people malign wherever it gets raised, and at this point, this is the closest thing to a general Smash thread we have.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
People hate cut talk because it’s irrelevant now. A new Smash game is probably really far off, and most cut talk is 99% thinly-veiled Fire Emblem whining anyway.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thinking about the placeholder slots for a second

I know the PSP game Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy had some DLC placeholder slots but they were never filled. To be fair though that may be because: 1. There was a LOT of region locked/other DLC that wasn’t available by normal means, 2. The PSP wasn’t the best system for DLC. Not a lot of games on the platform had it. And then there was that 2011 PSN breach which didn’t help things either. and 3. It’s Square Enix, I’m not surprised they’d screw over their own DLC like that

I don’t think that will be the case with Ultimate thankfully. The Switch has been super successful and a LOT of purchases are made on eShop daily, and it may be a long time before a true successor to the Switch is made, so during that time, I think all placeholders might be filled, and we’ll know the fate of the next Smash when the Switch’s successor is announced a good... seven years from now.

D

Deleted member

Frankly my issue with cut talk is that most of the time people talking about it just want to cut **** seemingly just to cut **** either because they dislike it or because they don't think it's worth, and let's be honest that most people like talking about cuts since that means something they like better seemingly has more chances.

Overall, I can see that who is cut and how many are cut (if any) in the next game is heavily dependent on the next Smash director.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We’re talking about cuts huh? How about I make this topic a bit more difficult for you guys? Who would you say are the most likely characters to be cut outside of clones, guest characters, characters who were cut in the past, and Mii Fighters?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People hate cut talk because it’s irrelevant now. A new Smash game is probably really far off, and most cut talk is 99% thinly-veiled Fire Emblem whining anyway.
That'd be true if they were fine with it when it was actually relevant. I can tell you that's not the case. There's still much bellyaching, even when it's not directed just at FE.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
I don't see Olimar getting cut if Miyamoto cares, or if they finally get Pikmin 4 out.
Big "if", at this point. Pikmin 4 is either going thru BOTW syndrome (devs kept delaying game because "oh this is cool, let's add this too!", which led to an amazing game) or more realistically put aside and forgotten. Once Miyamoto steps down you bet yourself that Pikmin is stepping down too.

Before I get attacked for these statements, be aware they are not made by a hater but a frustrated fan.
Erm...What's everyone's favorite dark horse picks?
We talking like regular dark horse or deep dark horse? Cuz Quote for the first choice, and Hat Kid for second. Neither are gonna get in, but I can hope

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Frankly my issue with cut talk is that most of the time people talking about it just want to cut **** seemingly just to cut **** either because they dislike it or because they don't think it's worth, and let's be honest that most people like talking about cuts since that means something they like better seemingly has more chances.

Overall, I can see that who is cut and how many are cut (if any) in the next game is heavily dependent on the next Smash director.
I agree, but people generally speak favourably about characters because they have a personal affinity for them as well. It regularly is partiality that drives the conversation. Yet if people can speak impartially about additions, which many can, then speaking impartially about cuts not only seems possible, but, ostensibly, should be fine as well, right?

I'm not dismissing the large swath that speak from a biased place, but there are a good number who can reason past their personal inclinations.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm, you know what? I said Goemon, but I'll go into reaching mode with curve balls.

Slash Kamei from Snowboard Kids 1 & 2 (with both 1 & 2 skins). :2gud:

Idea for Slash Kamei reveal

Trailer starts off with a bird's-eye view of a snowy mountain hill. Point of view suddenly fixes at Sonic descending the snowy hill on a snowboard. Jumping off a jump panel, Sonic pulls off awesome air tricks. Sonic grins once landing. The camera then fixes at a silhouette that jumps off the same jump panel pulling another set of tricks. Sonic takes a quick look back and sees someone approaching. The silhouette descends, out-pacing Sonic (on snowboard). The character looks back at Sonic and makes a thumbs-up sign. SLASH KAMEI slides to battle!!!

One can dream.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It would be interesting to talk about the purpose of cutting characters on a roster is. In the context of Super Smash Bros. I think it serves two purposes:
  1. To make the roster less overwhelming. Making a sizable chunk of it unlockable helps a little, but it can still be intimidating to new players.
  2. Resource management. I don't think money is a huge issue here, but time is, and there's so much more to develop than just the characters.
In this case I firmly believe that "more is more" so I'm fine with completely ignoring purpose 1.

One interesting way of tackling the second issue would be to have an abnormally long development (5 years minimum), and provide a demo with online support, but only a few characters and stages are playable, and it's just Smash mode. Depending on how extensive the demo is you could make it free or a pre-order bonus of sorts. You could even keep up the hype by saying "This character we just revealed is now being added to the demo!".

ze9

Smash Ace
We just had a game that focused on bringing back as many older characters as possible (every single one, in fact) and prioritized that over adding as many new characters as possible.
Sure, that may partially be a result of circumstances, but it's not like Smash has ever been a particularly cut-happy series. They're not going to do a reboot or anything like that. Next game will aim for 100 playable characters. It's the only way to top Ultimate.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We just had a game that focused on bringing back as many older characters are possible (every single one, in fact) and prioritized that over adding as many new characters as possible.
Sure, that may partially be a result of circumstances, but it's not like Smash has ever been a particularly cut-happy series. They're not going to do a reboot or anything like that. Next game will aim for 100 playable characters.
If all the DLC placeholders for Ultimate are filled, we may well hit 100 fighters if not come close to it

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I seriously refuse to believe Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff of all characters are bigger priorities than big names like Peach or Zelda just because they were added in the first game.
Well, I'm afraid Captain Falcon probably is, because he's kind of like a face of the Smash franchise at this point. Despite the irrelevance of his own franchise.

And even then the next Smash game director could easily say "The only reason Jigglypuff keeps being added is because it existed in the first game. This is not reason enough. Let's cut it".
Nobody is getting cut! EVERYONE IS HERE FOREVER!!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So... he's probably arriving in August then? That would be the next day.

That's pretty neat either way. I'll have to catch it later that night~ Or super early in the morning. I'm not sure what time it is for me. It's about 8 PM right now in my timezone.
It would be July 31st.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Don't I wish...
if nobody was cut, then we'd have an amazing roster next game. We could potentially get newcomers from every series since the threat of being cut is gone, potentially resulting in such amazing characters like Alucard or Dixie or anything of that sort, the list goes on and on (far beyond my examples).

The only issue with this I fear is that it has such a low chance of happening that we shouldn't count on it, but pray that it do. #AlucardMain baby!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It would be July 31st.
I can never remember which months have which dates bar December, February, and October. Last one is cause I'm born on Halloween, heh.

Anyway, it could be July 31st or this coming Friday, the 1st of August. That all makes a lot of sense.

D

Deleted member

This wait has almost drove me mad, ngl.

Discord didn’t help make it better either.

But at least these 10 years of wait for the DQ8 Hero will finally come to fruiction soon.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Anyone find it weird that the Presentation is 22 minutes. Joker's was only 15 minutes, and that presentation Showed his Trailer, Gameplay Explantion, Stage, Stage Builder, Mii Costumes, etc

We already saw Hero's Trailer too, so what's with the 7 minute increase

My theory is either we gonna see Sakurai Play a match With Hero in the Presentation.... A Extensive New mode...or
We getting Geno

D

Deleted member

Anyone find it weird that the Presentation is 22 minutes. Joker's was only 15 minutes, and that presentation Showed his Trailer, Gameplay Explantion, Stage, Stage Builder, Mii Costumes, etc

We already saw Hero's Trailer too, so what's with the 7 minute increase

My theory is either we gonna see Sakurai Play a match With Hero in the Presentation.... A Extensive New mode...or
We getting Geno
Not sure what to say about that, tbh.

But time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom