• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
How about Neku for Square? TWEWY was born on Nintendo after all
Perhaps, they do seem interested in reviving that series recently. It’s sort of crazy how much competition there is with Square characters. I haven’t played TWEWY yet, but he seems cool from what I’ve seen of him in Kingdom Hearts.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I kinda like the wild west feel that DLC speculation has relative to the base game. In a launch roster, it always feels like there's a handful of characters everyone and their mother can see coming (even if they don't always come to fruition). DLC though? Who would've thought we'd get Corrin and Bayonetta closing out Smash 4? Or that Joker would be our first character in the Fighter's Pass? Or that Min Min would get in in general?

The only thing I'm relatively confident on is a promotional pick similar to Byleth and Corrin, a character from a game that released after the first pass ended. Even then, we can't really predict that unless we have a time machine.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I kinda like the wild west feel that DLC speculation has relative to the base game. In a launch roster, it always feels like there's a handful of characters everyone and their mother can see coming (even if they don't always come to fruition). DLC though? Who would've thought we'd get Corrin and Bayonetta closing out Smash 4? Or that Joker would be our first character in the Fighter's Pass? Or that Min Min would get in in general?

The only thing I'm relatively confident on is a promotional pick similar to Byleth and Corrin, a character from a game that released after the first pass ended. Even then, we can't really predict that unless we have a time machine.
Due to Nintendo's lack of recent new titles, we might not get one unless we get a new Fire Emblem game between now and 2021.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Due to Nintendo's lack of recent new titles, we might not get one unless we get a new Fire Emblem game between now and 2021.
As slow as this year has been, I have relative confidence that Nintendo will release a game sometime in the next fifteen months that has a new character suitable for Smash.

Even if that character is most likely looking to be BOTW Zelda right now.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As slow as this year has been, I have relative confidence that Nintendo will release a game sometime in the next fifteen months that has a new character suitable for Smash.

I don't really think so at this point.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Low-key, if those Golden Sun Remasters are true, Isaac could be that character , and unlike Corrin and Byleth, he won't be controversial

I.D.

Smash Lord
As much trash as I talk about Byleth, at least we knew about his and his game's existence by the time the fighters pass was announced. It's genuinely difficult even for me to imagine Nintendo shilling a hypothetical game that nobody even knows exists 8 months after the announcement of the second fighters pass.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
As much trash as I talk about Byleth, at least we knew about his and his game's existence by the time the fighters pass was announced. It's genuinely difficult even for me to imagine Nintendo shilling a hypothetical game that nobody even knows exists 8 months after the announcement of the second fighters pass.
Imagine though if the character got in before a hypothetical game came out.

No one would know who the character is, and they would at first be a Smash original character.

7NATOR

Smash Master
They barely if ever use Smash characters to promote remakes.
There's a First for everything. Even then if the Remake is real and it's very different from the GBA version, one could say it's like a new game

In any case I don't see a Promotional character being a character we don't even know exists. I don't know of any games announced that could be used as Promotion. all the reasonable games have been released for awhile now, or had spirit events that imply they may not be in. Pokemon could be an exception, but honestly it's not like they need any promotion anyway

Min-Min could honestly count as a Promotional character anyway. She's Promoting the ARMS IP.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There's a First for everything. Even then if the Remake is real and it's very different from the GBA version, one could say it's like a new game

In any case I don't see a Promotional character being a character we don't even know exists. I don't know of any games announced that could be used as Promotion. all the reasonable games have been released for awhile now, or had spirit events that imply they may not be in. Pokemon could be an exception, but honestly it's not like they need any promotion anyway

Min-Min could honestly count as a Promotional character anyway. She's Promoting the ARMS IP.
Plus, Isaac is an AT. He's gonna have to wait until Smash 6.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I’m more confident in character types than specific characters. I’m thinking something like this:

Another Switch era character - I’m leaning towards Rex here (maaaaybe another Xenoblade character). But Cinderace or a BOTW2 character would make sense too.

Another Square Enix character - Square is too friendly with Nintendo recently & they have too many options to ignore. Geno, 2B or a Bravely Default character are the choices I see. Geno is an easy way to please Smash fans. 2B would excite modern gamers. A Bravely Default character would be there to promote BD2 & it’d be a great represent to Nintendo/Square’s reignited partnership.

A Japanese Centered Pick - I think we’ll see another Hero type character that’s geared more towards Japanese fans. Honestly some of the characters Ayumi mentioned like Arle & Yuri would make a lot of sense. Maybe Reimu as a dark horse pick.

A Western Character - With all of the western content we’ve gotten since Banjo was revealed, I think another western character is all but guaranteed. I think it’s down to Master Chief , Crash & Steve. Master Chief would bring the most attention to Smash/FP2. Crash is the most wanted. Steve would bring in a lot of younger fans.

For the 5th character, I’m not too sure. It could be a Capcom character like Dante, it could be another Western character, another Switch era character or a pick that blindsides everyone like Joker & Terry.
Crash Bandicoot is my most wanted, But I would also throw in Rayman as another significant western candidate.

I'm not as confident in his chances as much as I was before, But he's still a solid contender with the other potential characters.

My Most Wanted Western Character List

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Master Chief
3. Rayman

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Plus, Isaac is an AT. He's gonna have to wait until Smash 6.
You know, Speaking of which, as someone that believes Assists Don't Officially Deconfirm, cause it hasn't been officially stated, I actually could kinda get behind the Assist Deconfrim train

I don't know how Sakurai and the Team and Nintendo see Assists, but depending on which It could mean certain thing for Assist Characters

If they feel Assists are enough of an honor for the characters that are in the role, that may not be good for Assist Characetrs. Unlike Spirits they do have 3D Models and actually do stuff on the battlefield. It's kind of in that area of Mii Costumes, just different

Mii costumes give you a little of the feeling of playing that character through a Costume. Assists while not Playable are the actual character doing stuff on the Battlefield

I Know games like Dragon ball fighterZ make assist characters playable (17) but as far as Smash is concerned, since there are so many options for characters they could go for, I could see them thinking Assists are enough for the characters and leaving them be

There definitely stuff implemented in the game so characters and Assists can co-exist if one got promoted, so I don't think the Deconfirm thing as any merit from a Coding standpoint. but from a Perspective point form Sakurai and the team that could be a different scenraio

It's not good for me if that scenario is true Because Shadow is my Most wanted character, but Like I've been doing with Geno for the Past days, I think it's best to look at the opposite side going against them you know. really take in all the info to come to a natural conclusion...or something

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
When we just started going foot deep in Western content? Whyyyy?!
Mostly due to various factors, especially the language barrier and travel restrictions due to COVID-19. It's overall a lot harder for Sakurai to contact international developers now. Banjo and Kazooie would never have even gotten in if it wasn't for fan demand, Microsoft being all buddy-buddy with Nintendo, and Phil Spencer openly claiming that he was fine with it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They barely if ever use Smash characters to promote remakes.
The difference here is that Isaac was already a massively popular request long before the potential remakes, unlike, say, Alm or a Hoenn starter.
Mostly due to various factors, especially the language barrier and travel restrictions due to COVID-19. It's overall a lot harder for Sakurai to contact international developers now. Banjo and Kazooie would never have even gotten in if it wasn't for fan demand, Microsoft being all buddy-buddy with Nintendo, and Phil Spencer openly claiming that he was fine with it.
COVID doesn't change anything besides maybe some release dates. The picks were already chosen before November, long before lockdown took effect. I'm expecting at least one Western pick; Crash is the safe option, but the recent potential leak for the Prince of Persia remake means I can't help but wonder if he could be a potential darkhorse.

Last edited:

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice

This is how we get Sylux to promote Metroid Prime 4. Hey, it's a possibility at least. If not a particularly likely one.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They might just go for a different GS character.
I don't see that happening. Isaac is the Golden Sun character. He headed the first game, he held a major role in the second, and was one of the few to come back for the third, with his son being almost a clone of him anyways. He's the one to get an Assist Trophy in Smash, and is the one everyone is requesting. If it's not Isaac, I highly doubt we're getting a Golden Sun fighter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
...You do realize that Season 2 had been all chosen since E3 last year right?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't see that happening. Isaac is the Golden Sun character. He headed the first game, he held a major role in the second, and was one of the few to come back for the third, with his son being almost a clone of him anyways. He's the one to get an Assist Trophy in Smash, and is the one everyone is requesting. If it's not Isaac, I highly doubt we're getting a Golden Sun fighter.
And it's because of his AT status that he's not getting in.
...You do realize that Season 2 had been all chosen since E3 last year right?
But still, the coronavirus might have changed their plans.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think it’s pretty apparent that the language barrier isn’t an issue anymore with how much western content we’ve seen in the past year.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I stand by saying Rex would the next most logical first party character and even the most logical character for CP7.

Xenoblade still only has 1 rep and ever since Shulk got in we had multiple games in the series (X, 2, Torna)

Unlike say Mario, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, or Fire Emblem. Xenoblade didn't get any new characters in the base roster and in fact very little new content outside of some tracks from XB2 and Spirits from X and 2.

Unlike say Golden Sun or Mother, Xenoblade is an active franchise and is probably one more installment away from being just major as something on level as say Fire Emblem or Metroid.

Sakurai stated that the reason why Arms and Xenoblade 2 don't have characters in the game was due to those games being in development along side Ultimate and we all saw what happened with the former when Sakurai had the opportunity to add more fighters after the initial fighters pass.

The only con against Rex right now is the Mii fighter costume for FP1, but an easy excuse can just be that when it was made Sakurai and his team hadn't planned FP2 just yet and with FP2 took this opportunity to add him properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom