• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what we're down to Super Mario 3D World and Xenoblade Chronicles X as far s Wii U exclusives worth anything?
Well there's Five Nights at Slippy's, and the original Splatoon and Super Mario Maker

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So what we're down to Super Mario 3D World and Xenoblade Chronicles X as far s Wii U exclusives worth anything?
Fatal Frame V too, you’d have to give up the GamePad as camera mechanic but I just wanna see ppl give Yuri Kozukata’s game a second chance

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well there's Five Nights at Slippy's, and the original Splatoon and Super Mario Maker
This reminds me of Smash Ultimate's first trailer, a friend of mine thought it'd be a port of the first game to which I said "It already exists it's called Splatoon 2"

Anyway smh y'all not mentioning the ultimate gaming experience known as Nintendoland

SKX31

Smash Master
Going to be honest, I think Smash Ultimate kind of spoiled me with all the returning characters and stages that I'd be reluctant to buy the next instalment. I'm already not convinced that Banjo & Kazooie are going to return so they'll have to impress me with some good single player content and cooler stages to keep me hooked to Smash Bros, otherwise I'll just stick to Ultimate. Even then I'd still be on the fence whether I'll buy it or not because I know that not every single character and stage will return.

An Ultimate deluxe sounds like a good thing but wouldn't they have to get the rights to all the characters again to let them appear in an Ultimate deluxe?
That would depend on if Ultimate DX is considered a new project or not, which is a gray area in itself.

One could make the argument for either - on one hand it would not be a new project because it's fundamentally the same game as vanilla Ultimate (like MK8 DX is fundamentally the same as Wii U MK8), but on the other hand an Ultimate DX would be a a project on another console and thus a "contract extension" of sorts.

Either way, Nintendo's likely to take the safe approach: they would probably want to be sure they can get all the rights before comitting to an Ultimate DX.

Lost World (which was an exclusive) and Rise of Lyric had some potential... but then again, the former had some strange inconsistencies in both story and gameplay, and the latter... yeah. They're reasons if anyone's morbidly curious.

At least Eggman shot a tree in Rise of Lyric and was insanely proud about that. (Linked commentary / playthrough starts just a little before Eggman shoots the tree, where the commentators question why water-based turrets are being destroyed by water.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Small Battlefield? Holy crap, does this mean Small Mario is getting added?
Geez man, I'm not sure. After all, Dr. Mario didn't come with Dr. Battlefield, but maybe we'll get that now. :V

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well lookit that! Pikmin 3 outta nowhere!!

*sits quietly waiting for Xenoblade X and Prime Trilogy*

....anytime now...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Wasn't it also Zell who said something like "One more stop before the main event"? Could this Pikmin 3 Deluxe count?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Okay, hear me out: Yoshi's Woolly World Definitive Edition. It has content from both the Wii U and 3DS versions.
That and a similar Donkey Kong Country Returns Deluxe release with elements from the Wii & 3DS games would both be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Either way, Nintendo's likely to take the safe approach: they would probably want to be sure they can get all the rights before comitting to an Ultimate DX.
They should see if Rockstar is able to get back all the radio songs for GTAV on PS5 first. And trust me, that's not gonna be cheap. Just look at Los Santos Rock Radio and Non-Stop-Pop in particular, those are large stations full of hit songs.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's good to see Hey! Pikmin didn't bury the franchise.

That being said, I think this is a sign from the Nintendo gods that a full Direct is happening in November at the absolute earliest. This announcement kinda strikes me as "Hey, we'd normally put this type of thing in a standard direct, but its releasing in just under three months and we have no direct in that time, so have it here instead", similar to how Paper Mario had no real direct to carry it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's also a couple of indie games that are exclusive to the WiiU. Armillo which is kind of like Pac-Man meets Mario Galaxy and there's meme run that is... errr... yeah...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, I heard somewhere that there was some kind of law in Japan that you have to announce a product at least 30 days in advance to give people time to pre-order it or something along those lines. Does anybody mind factchecking that for me? Because that may explain a few things with these announcements.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I find kind of funny that we've reached the point of such unknown speculation about news that a prediction of small shadowdrops and/or mini directs in August and no formal significant stuff till September/October is either too optimistic or too cynical depending on which segment of the fandom is hearing about it.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
More Wii U ports huh. That reminds me, we still do not have our yearly major Zelda release...

...Wind Waker or Twilight Princess port in September??

I'd say it is possible but also why wouldn't they announce that before an October release?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's pretty funny to me that we learned a surprising amount of plans for the Switch today, we got Pikmin 3 DX, SMTV being implied to be an early 2021 title and Travis' VA spreading around the NMH leak on his twitter
oh and Baby Battlefield too

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
TPC has high quality models of every Pokemon, it wouldn't be hard to recreate Poke Floats. Yeah it'd be asset reuse, but remember when Sakurai bragged about how much of the DQ11 overworld he managed to fit into that stage? Asset reuse is already a big time thing. Even Min Min is asset reuse.

The reason they didn't was probably because they don't put as much value in the "so bad its good" factor as the internet seems to. Maybe they just saw it as "so bad its bad" like all those other scrolling/moving stages that didn't return.

FD/Battlefield being Avalugg with Stunfisks will never not be funny though.
I mean, would they really take issue with it, when they've already done it in Melee with the N64 models from Pokemon Stadium?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yup. Unceremonious twitter drop. As expected, lol. Well, at least it's out there now.

Not like there was a very short, fairly lacklustre recent Direct that could've benefitted greatly even with just the announcement of a Pikmin port. Nope. Nothing comes to mind...

I mean Nintendo always gonna Nintendo, but some of their calls are so head-scratching I could wear my nails down.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, would they really take issue with it, when they've already done it in Melee with the N64 models from Pokemon Stadium?
I think by her saying that they saw the stage as "so bad, it's bad" was referring to its overall design rather than how it was made. It is quite a silly stage in terms of design.

Then again Brinstar Depths is also a silly stage and that one got remade so...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yup. Unceremonious twitter drop. As expected, lol. Well, at least it's out there now.

Not like there was a very short, fairly lacklustre recent Direct that could've benefitted greatly even with just the announcement of a Pikmin port. Nope. Nothing comes to mind...

I mean Nintendo always gonna Nintendo, but some of their calls are so head-scratching I could wear my nails down.
Another slightly less headscratching example was when they did an Indies World presentation... and then dropped the Silksong trailer the day after - keep in mind that the Switch trailer was the very fist trailer that game got, or at least the first console one.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Based on Tsubasa, I'm thinking two more shadowdrops for the rest of the year, followed by a September Direct that details the beginning of 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom