• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pikmin 3 is an absolute gem of a game.

If you haven't, go play it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Kinda surprised they didn't port Pikmin 3 sooner.

And before anyone asks, no, I don't think Alph, Brittany, or Charlie are one of the remaining five characters.

SKX31

Smash Master
They should see if Rockstar is able to get back all the radio songs for GTAV on PS5 first. And trust me, that's not gonna be cheap. Just look at Los Santos Rock Radio and Non-Stop-Pop in particular, those are large stations full of hit songs.
That's true - still though, GTA V's making like $200 million per quarter currently and 2K's the kind of corp that eagerly spends quite a lot on their games... most of the time. Not saying that they're going to get all the songs in the PS5 / XSX versions, but find it likely that they'll get a lot of them at least.

TPC has high quality models of every Pokemon, it wouldn't be hard to recreate Poke Floats. Yeah it'd be asset reuse, but remember when Sakurai bragged about how much of the DQ11 overworld he managed to fit into that stage? Asset reuse is already a big time thing. Even Min Min is asset reuse.

The reason they didn't was probably because they don't put as much value in the "so bad its good" factor as the internet seems to. Maybe they just saw it as "so bad its bad" like all those other scrolling/moving stages that didn't return.

FD/Battlefield being Avalugg with Stunfisks will never not be funny though.
Now that you mention it, it does make a lot of sense.

Poke Floats had a lot of strange clipping issues (as alluded to when I responded re: it being played in Melee tournaments) so there would need to be some collision fixes.

There's also a really strange (potentially game freezing) glitch with Melee's version 1.0. It can't be performed in later versions of Melee (1.01 and onwards). But still: It happens if one uses the Name Entry glitch to play as Master Hand, and uses the same glitch to start a single character / 0 second match (with the match ending as soon as it starts). Thus...

Behold, the All-Floats Glitch:

231c04bad4bb1d2119f5f8051e19713b.gif

What a majestic sight.

Maybe those two things contributed to Sakurai and HAL seeing Poke Floats as a bad stage? I'm spitballing here (and there's no way of telling if Sakurai was aware of the Name Entry glitch to begin with - it was discovered in 2008 / 2009)...

...But the All-Floats glitch and a number of other glitches (like one of :marthmelee:'s / :roymelee:'s attacks not working properly when Whispy Woods blinks. No seriously.) were removed in subsuquent versions. So while I'm personally not 100 % sure if the All-Floats glitch is a reason why Sakurai considers Poke Floats a bad stage, I personally wouldn't discount the possibility.

If anything, the unfinished collision is more likely the reason why Sakurai saw it as a bad stage.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:ultalph:Make Alph an actual echo. :ultalph:

Right the wrongs of the past!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For real though. We now know another Nintendo first party game on the horizon.

I mean, its a port but its something....

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they do anything to promote Pikmin in Super Smash Bros. it'll be one of two things:
  1. Alph is removed from Olimar's costume set, and is turned into an Echo Fighter around the time of Pikmin 3 Deluxe's release. This is a feasible option because:
    • creating adding back in 4 of Olimar's previous pallet swaps (and making 4 more for Alph as well) wouldn't take very much effort.
    • Alph is already modeled in the game, and you don't technically have to alter Alph in any way aside from like 10 or less animations (I think 6 would be the minimum).
    • You wouldn't even have to give Alph Rock Pikmin, but if you did, it could just be an aesthetic change. Even if you did give them a different property from Purple Pikmin, they likely wouldn't be that different.
  2. Pikmin 4 is on the horizon, and it's getting a premotional character to go with it.

I honestly don't think either situation will happen, but they are both realistic ways to promote the Pikmin franchise assuming Nintendo wants it to grow.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I honestly always thought in terms of ideal Pikmin representation, would be to give Alph his own echo slot (possibly with Rock Pikmin) and have Brittany and Charlie occupy costumes 5/6 and 7/8 respectively. And also give Olimar's second half of costumes to Louie and the President in the same fashion, since none of the captains ever had special abilities to their own it would be perfectly natural a la the Koopalings to put every captain in the series there with minimal effort.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
This is a bit worrying if true. Posted by Zell:

This is a sad year for the Switch and a strange one for Nintendo.

Usually we expect having ports in the first 2 years in a console life and it peaks in its third and after, never in my life saw a console getting this much ports nearing its 4th year in the market?

its not about covid19, thats the lineup since the beginning of the year, with only 1 consloe to support and with all the success its having!?!? what is Nintendo doing with it? most games are even not developed by Nintendo? "Smash, Fire Emblem etc"

just by looking at Wii U Nintendo games and the Switch lineup it makes me wonder what in the blue hell Nintendo doing on the Switch.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ed-direct-is-forever-bad.261825/post-41681919

I mean, obviously games take some time to develop. But I don't really think most of Nintendo games are extremely demanding in terms of resources and budget.

D

Deleted member

Whats wrong with keeping Alph as an alternate costume? Its not like in game they function any differently than one another. Technically speaking, the Koopalings have more of a right to be separate since their attacks differ from one another in their Original debut game, though I dont think anyone has a problem with them being Alts to Bowser Jr (even though his Smash ult is only an association of Bowser Jr).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
XC:DE didn't even get a Spirit event, so I could see the same thing happening to Pikmin.

Honestly, there's no need for them to do anything. Pikmin 3 already has Alph as an alt, a stage, some music, and several Spirits. Just reference some of that if they want to promote it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ed-direct-is-forever-bad.261825/post-41681919

I mean, obviously games take some time to develop. But I don't really think most of Nintendo games are extremely demanding in terms of resources and budget.
I don't know if anyone knew about release dates, but it felt like quite a few people had some stuff to say about Mario, Metroid, and a few other franchises being shown off at E3.

Regardless, I doubt Zell ever knew the full lineup for 2020. For now, let's just enjoy the new announcement and stop twisting good news in to something to complain about.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Going to be honest, I think Smash Ultimate kind of spoiled me with all the returning characters and stages that I'd be reluctant to buy the next instalment. I'm already not convinced that Banjo & Kazooie are going to return so they'll have to impress me with some good single player content and cooler stages to keep me hooked to Smash Bros, otherwise I'll just stick to Ultimate. Even then I'd still be on the fence whether I'll buy it or not because I know that not every single character and stage will return.

An Ultimate deluxe sounds like a good thing but wouldn't they have to get the rights to all the characters again to let them appear in an Ultimate deluxe?
if the next game cut Heroes, Joker, Villager, Terry or Byleth, Id probably just stick to ult

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

As I've said before, there's been a general pattern in the last 10 decade of Nintendo's smaller first party IP's (and even spin-off's to the main franchises) gradually disappearing or a at best going into deep hibernation:

-Wario Land
-Advance Wars
-Mario & Luigi
-Chibi Robo
-F-Zero
-Golden Sun

And that's not even getting into franchises that are lucky to get a game a decade even if such titles are strong or have far less releases in general compared with the 90s and aughts:

-Pilotwings
-Punch Out
-Kid Icarus
-Non Tennis Mario Sports Games
-Donkey Kong
-Star Fox
-Metroid

And the thing is, the higher cost of HD development on Switch vs that of the DS/3DS means that smaller IP's don't have the relative safety of those platforms to release on. In terms of a business model it feels more like Nintendo relies on the sales of indie releases to buoy up its library more than its own titles. Something like Golf Story would have had competition with a Mario Golf 10 years ago, but essentially dominates that lane due to the lack of similar releases from Nintendo now. The overwhelming sales from a few select big AAA releases on Switch if anything has led to a first party library feels more conservative and strict that generations previous.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Whats wrong with keeping Alph as an alternate costume? Its not like in game they function any differently than one another. Technically speaking, the Koopalings have more of a right to be separate since their attacks differ from one another in their Original debut game, though I dont think anyone has a problem with them being Alts to Bowser Jr (even though his Smash ult is only an association of Bowser Jr).
Here's the difference: People actually like Alph.

No but seriously, the Koopalings are at least able to convey personality through their expressive voice acting, but Olimar and Alph only use mannerisms (which, after Pikmin 3, is a bit odd) and since Alph's animations don't differ at all, his character isn't quite as well portrayed as it should be.

Personally, I don't think the Koopalings as alternate costumes are all that great either since they stop Bowser Jr. from digging deep into his history in terms of moveset, and don't really contribute to it themselves since Bowser Jr. can't do what they do either. That and the Super Mario World bodies of the characters mixed with the New Super Mario Bros. heads is just the ugliest.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
As for the comment about all the ports from Zell

I understand the sentiment on this, or even his concern about it. On the slip side though, the Switch is popular and has decent specs to play some popular "older" games. It's a portable "console," so people would want to play certain games they did not get to play if it was on a system they didn't have.

So I guess, I kinda get the "Port Overload" for the switch, but that wouldn't have worked with the WiiU or other systems.

Now if this is the "main" feature of the Switch instead of new games, then yes, that would be a problem.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't know if anyone knew about release dates, but it felt like quite a few people had some stuff to say about Mario, Metroid, and a few other franchises being shown off at E3.

Regardless, I doubt Zell ever knew the full lineup for 2020. For now, let's just enjoy the new announcement and stop twisting good news in to something to complain about.
I mean, I doubt he or anyone else knew 100% the line up, but he's not precisely a random guy, and I don't think he's saying this to gain some kind of traction and generate drama or something.

Rumours about Mario were about a collection, which would probably be a bunch of remastered games to celebrate the anniversary. Metroid, there are rumours about the Prime games being ported to the Switch, but yeah, there's the supposed new 2D Metroid game. If it exists, though, I don't think it's gonna release this year seeing the landscape.

For me isn't a big deal but there are people who isn't really a fan of remasters and ports. I'd agree with them that remasters should be a complement and never the main thing for a year. And besides Animal Crossing and Paper Mario, all we got so far has been precisely that: remasters of different types, but remasters.

I don't know, I don't think being critical is bad or anything. If you have legitimate points and arguments to bring, then the complains, right or wrong, are valid. And Nintendo's 2020 is for sure far from perfect.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It's true though. Covid has exacerbated the situation, but even without it, this would've been a weak year for Switch. Which is kind of baffling, because this is right in the middle of the lifespan of a highly successful system - there shouldn't be a dearth of games. Ports are nice to buttress the gaps, but it shouldn't be them driving the system forward. This isn't something like 2018, where the year prior Nintendo went hard playing all its big guns, or the twilight years of the system where all the resources are being put towards the successor. In fact, Nintendo consolidated its handheld and console divisions and streamlined its output basically to one platform, and yet, there are fewer original games and EPD-developed titles than ever.

I understand most people didn't own a Wii U or whatever system the port may have stemmed from, but if you did, and you don't feel like buying those games again, or if you have no desire to grab games you didn't pick up the first time, you can almost cut down the first-party library by half.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I get that it sucks to get no announcements but aren't Nintendo working on Metroid Prime 4, Breath of the Wild "2" and Bayonetta 3? I think they have their hands full right now.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
yo imagine if our next first party shill pick is viridi for kid icarus uprising hd

that'd be sick

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I get that it sucks to get no announcements but aren't Nintendo working on Metroid Prime 4, Breath of the Wild "2" and Bayonetta 3? I think they have their hands full right now.
The first two, yes. But if I'm not mistaken, Bayonetta 3 is being made by Platinum Games.

EDIT: Actually, Metroid Prime 4 is being made by Retro Studios so I don't know if that counts as in-house or not.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Alpha is super fun! But in a perfect world they'd end up adding Louie as the second Pikmin rep (with Brittany as an Alph-style alt), and he makes sense too since he promotes a major selling point of the port.

Either way I'm extremely happy to see people talking about Pikmin in a positive light!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The first two, yes. But if I'm not mistaken, Bayonetta 3 is being made by Platinum Games.
I mean it's not like EPD is making MP4 either.

BotW2 is, what? The Zelda team and one of the Monolith teams? Maybe another support team? EPD itself still has like nine other divisions.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

EDIT: Actually, Metroid Prime 4 is being made by Retro Studios so I don't know if that counts as in-house or not.
Oh right. I was thinking more on the lines of publishing games. my bad.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
With Pikmin coming out in October and no September game in sight, I think its best to write this year off over. Every industry is a mess right now due to covid, with the video game industry all of the events except arguably the PS5 reveal have been disappointing. My country is being hard by the pandemic due both my government and at least a good 70% of my fellow citizens being complete morons. Japan right now is also seeing spikes in cases, that will likely effect all of its industry especially the video game industry.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
With Pikmin coming out in October and no September game in sight, I think its best to write this year off over. Every industry is a mess right now due to covid, with the video game industry all of the events except arguably the PS5 reveal have been disappointing. My country is being hard by the pandemic due both my government and at least a good 70% of my fellow citizens being complete morons. Japan right now is also seeing spikes in cases, that will likely effect all of its industry especially the video game industry.
Agreed. COVID upended pretty much everything and we can't really pin down anything at the moment. The lack of games and transparency sucks, but we're in the middle of a global pandemic and things aren't the same as before.

I.D.

Smash Lord

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So just out of curiosity I decided to do a search for games made by Nintendo & Nintendo EPD. This may not be all of them, but according to Wikipedia, they've made:
  • 1-2 Switch March (launch title)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (launch title, and technically a port)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (port)
  • ARMS
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • The Nintendo Labbo stuff
  • Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (port)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (port)
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (Unreleased in North America)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  • Jump Rope Challenge
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
And we know they're making The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel, which makes 8 games (+ one upcoming game) since the Nintendo Switch's launch. I don't really have the knowledge to say if that's good or bad (or if there are more in-house divisions of Nintendo to consider) so I'll just leave it at that.

EDIT: It's actually more like 17 games for the Switch, which I don't think is all that bad honestly. There are also a few mobile games that are still being updated, so I don't think they're just twiddling their thumbs over there.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
In other news, Akira from Rival Schools just got confirmed for Street Fighter V. If any of you want an RS character in Smash, that's probably how we'll get it.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
So just out of curiosity I decided to do a search for games made by Nintendo & Nintendo EPD. This may not be all of them, but according to Wikipedia, they've made:
  • 1-2 Switch March (launch title)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (launch title, and technically a port)
  • ARMS
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (port)
  • Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (Unreleased in North America)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons March
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
  • Jump Rope Challenge
And we know they're making The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel, which makes 8 games (+ one upcoming game) since the Nintendo Switch's launch. I don't really have the knowledge to say if that's good or bad (or if there are more in-house divisions of Nintendo to consider) so I'll just leave it at that.
You forgot some, like Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Maker 2, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Ring Fit Adventure, and even some of their mobile games like Mario Kart Tour, Dr Mario World, and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In other news, Akira from Rival Schools just got confirmed for Street Fighter V. If any of you want an RS character in Smash, that's probably how we'll get it.
Of course! We'll put the Street Fighter V game, in out Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game!

More seriously though, it is cool that Rival Schools is getting some mainstream attention. If people like Akira enough, they might even do a new game.

Also, RIP Batsu as the series's mascot.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
For his Final Smash, he'll take his Squad Strike teammates and they attack alongside him like his TvC level 3
yo imagine if our next first party shill pick is viridi for kid icarus uprising hd

that'd be sick
Ngl Uprising HD would be significantly more hype than Smash

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You forgot some, like Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Maker 2, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Ring Fit Adventure, and even some of their mobile games like Mario Kart Tour, Dr Mario World, and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp.
Wikipedia's list didn't feature a single Super Mario game. All the more reason as to why Wikipedia suuucks. I'll add 'em to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom