• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, most people only really push it because "haha byleth shill haha shillmon," which is the only reason Urshifu has any ground, and I'm just going "We get it, Nintendo is a business that wants to make money, that was very clear the first time you said it." Urshifu makes the least amount of sense anyways, because why push a single DLC pack when you could either A: Push the base game, or B: Push the next DLC pack? Going by that logic, we would've gotten Yuri instead of Byleth.
And Urshifu isn't even the only way they could get Pokebucks if they so desire. While they'd never go for Skiploom regardless of how many gens are on the table, the newest batch of fully evolved starters/Toxitricity/Urshifu aren't the only notable Pokemon in existence that still aren't playable.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
TBH multiple sources that we were trusting on the Mario remasters were all saying that Nintendo wasn't planning anything big for the rest of summer. Twitter shadow drops and small videos pretty much fit what was described by those sources.

Real talk? I really, really think we should stop expecting Nintendo to do some big "E3 replacement Direct"; Odds are, it's probably not coming, and we're just gonna set ourselves up for disappointment all over again.
I am not expecting something E3 related. Just a Direct in general, whenever that is.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I am not expecting something E3 related. Just a Direct in general, whenever that is.
More minis and small first party showcases are what I'm personally expecting. I just don't see us getting a traditional 30+minute Direct right now when they seem pretty keen to tweet out news and do mini showcases. Obviously I could be wrong, but none of what they're doing right now really indicates they have a huge plethora of stuff to show. :drshrug:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
From the looks of it, September would be fairly logical for a direct. By the time Nintendo was beginning to get their stuff together after COVID hit, it would already be time for the next scheduled direct. It would make sense to spread out their smaller content throughout the Summer, then show what they've next+Big E3 stuff in September. Nintendo's pretty slow to change, so it might take them until September to get themselves back together.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
More minis and small first party showcases are what I'm personally expecting. I just don't see us getting a traditional 30+minute Direct right now when they seem pretty keen to tweet out news and do mini showcases. Obviously I could be wrong, but none of what they're doing right now really indicates they have a huge plethora of stuff to show. :drshrug:
I understand, hence the “whenever that is” part, which could be anytime, and that would be fine.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm honestly inclined to agree with the sentiment that a big, significant Direct isn't like coming for a good long while. Even those who have started to write off much of the rest of year in terms of releases or news are ones I'm far less inclined to label as cynical given the nothingburger the summer has largely been.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of Directs and leakers, did leakers get leakbait about when Directs would happen and were fooled? Because I think they did.

MooMew64

Speaking of Directs and leakers, did leakers get leakbait about when Directs would happen and were fooled? Because I think they did.
If you're talking about the recent Partner Showcase, nah, I don't think there was leak bait. I think they heard there was a presentation coming up and, like us, assumed it was this big thing because "other companies are doing big things, so surely Nintendo will too". They were just as surprised as we were about what we got.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If you're talking about the recent Partner Showcase, nah, I don't think there was leak bait. I think they heard there was a presentation coming up and, like us, assumed it was this big thing because "other companies are also doing big things, so surely Nintendo will too". They were just as surprised as we were about what we got.
I meant leakbait as in leakers having sources saying it was an actual Direct when it was an Nintendo Partners Showcase Direct Mini. Some of the same leakers were confused why it was a Mini Direct even, if I recall correctly. Not many said it was a Mini Direct, if any.

MooMew64

I meant leakbait as in leakers having sources saying it was an actual Direct when it was an Nintendo Partners Showcase Direct Mini. Some of the same leakers were confused why it was a Mini Direct even, if I recall correctly. Not many said it was a Mini Direct, if any.
There's no way to know for sure. My best guess is "no", though, because Nintendo doesn't really have anything to gain by getting leakers to hype people up for something big, only to be let down when the final product is much more low-key.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There's no way to know for sure. My best guess is "no", though, because Nintendo doesn't really have anything to gain by getting leakers to hype people up for something big, only to be let down when the final product is much more low-key.
My guess is not yes; but I do think I remember that presentation was thought to be a Direct. Plus, since this was supposed to be a big presentation was false in the end as the Mini Direct was not big. Even if it is episodic, all of I was not on the same date, but separate, making it less big on the date it embassy’s revealed.

Can’t say I blame the leakers, but still...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't think Nintendo cares so much about fan hype as much as they do about discrediting leakers and preventing them from gaining access to internal information.

MooMew64

I don't think Nintendo cares so much about fan hype as much as they do about discrediting leakers and preventing them from gaining access to internal information.
With how much Nintendo hates their stuff being touched from people who aren't themselves, I could see this, yeah. But I'm still not entirely convinced that what happened was because of leak bait, and TBH we'll probably never know for sure. :drshrug:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I do da thing

Safe bet: Johnny Knoxville-lookalike lightsaber assassin otaku
Risky bet: The shrine maiden with enough raw firepower to blow-up several planets
Dream pick: Pants-wearing orange marsupial
Nightmare pick: iCarly's Nevel Papperman
Nevel? Nononono. No way Nevel happens. Why would they add Nevel when they could add Gibby and he'd be a way better addition.

Look, the dude's dripping with moveset potential:

and he's even got a Final Smash right here:

He'd be perfect.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
With how much Nintendo hates their stuff being touched from people who aren't themselves, I could see this, yeah. But I'm still not entirely convinced that what happened was because of leak bait, and TBH we'll probably never know for sure. :drshrug:
Perhaps not. Perhaps now. What do we know? Still, whatever happened, either way, I guess Nintendo did not like the idea of others getting their hands on secret information from them. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something about it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Perhaps not. Perhaps now. What do we know? Still, whatever happened, either way, I guess Nintendo did not like the idea of others getting their hands on secret information from them. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something about it.
And that "something" probably involved ninjas, based on what I heard...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It sounds like they're low key admitting they don't know anything.
That what I am guessing. They probably are trying to hide that they know nothing.

So what if something doesn't happen on Sunday in terms of Nintendo Direct announcements? Granted, I won't complain, as this is nothing to complain about, but maybe it will have an impact on how we think the Partners Showcase Direct Mini series will happen? Just curious.

MooMew64

That what I am guessing. They probably are trying to hide that they know nothing.

So what if something doesn't happen on Sunday in terms of Nintendo Direct announcements? Granted, I won't complain, as this is nothing to complain about, but maybe it will have an impact on how we think the Partners Showcase Direct Mini series will happen? Just curious.
They're probably gonna be a once a month thing if anything, so I wouldn't expect anything this week. Probably sometime next month, maybe in about 3 or so more weeks.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
They're probably gonna be a once a month thing if anything, so I wouldn't expect anything this week. Probably sometime next month, maybe in about 3 or so more weeks.
No kidding, if last Sunday getting nothing is anything to go by. I am not getting my hopes up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hot take: I’d rather wait longer for LEGIT game announcements than have them pique my interest with a padded announcement and SURPRISE ***** IT’S SHOVELWARE.

SKX31

Smash Master
Nightmare bets? Not counting non-video game characters: Bubsy, Fortnite Jonesy, and... that’s it really
Nightmare bet? So, here we go. Basing this on how the fanbase in general would react:

* Most of EA's catalog. Most of EA's characters would not escape the general distaste against EA that has been built over the years. I doubt Shephard's hypotheoretical inclusion would escape comments about Andromeda, for example.

* Knives Out: Mobile Fortnite, huge in Japan but practically unknown outside of Japan. Yeeaah, those three factors would be enough to start a firestorm elsewhere. I'd imagine that Knives Out would also cause a major stir within the Japanese Smash fanbase.

* Arena of Valor: Mobile LoL, very much a China / SEA thing (it floundering in the West is probably a major reason why Pokemon Unite exists), and its origins would combined make for an incredibly unpopular representative. Likewise, AoV (Honor of Kings in China) would probably be a heavily contested pick within China because Tencent is not popular amongst the Chinese hardcore.

While I don't have any objections against a mobile rep per se, I fully believe that Euden / Dragalia Lost should be the first not just because it's first party but also since it would reassure the Smash fanbase at large (as much as possible anyway - Dragalia's not as microtransaction-y as a lot of other mobile games IIRC - *looks at Mario Kart Tour.*).

That honestly sounds like a good solution here - if Nintendo does do this it gives them more time to prepare any trailers and other material that they might want to show off.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hot take: I’d rather wait longer for LEGIT game announcements than have them pique my interest with a padded announcement and SURPRISE ***** IT’S SHOVELWARE.
To be honest at least big shovelware announcements give us something to talk about. I'd rather have another abysmal partner showcase than radio silence til September. At least we get some John Cena memes or whatever.
* Knives Out
Why are you so against Chris Evans in a sweater?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Guys, I'm so Charged up Right Now. I just got back from the "Rate that Character Thread" and one of the characters being rated today is my Hedgehog Shadow the Hedgehog. I was speaking truth in there, I was Telling the real message, like I was back at war in the Smash Community during the Base game speculation. I Love Debating people about Shadow. Like i said, it's some of the most fun I've had in my entire life

However instead of just speaking about Shadow in here, I wanna ask. What Character Drives you the most to speculate about? what character are you the most passionate Speaking about in Speculation? and this doesn't even have to be a character you want, It could even be a Character you love hating on.
Reimu, for sure. Aside from being my most wanted, she has a lot of history behind her and is a lot less known in the West, which gives me a fair bit to argue about.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Admittedly, I feel a little bad for asking this given the circumstances, but how would you guys feel if we had two Directs in August: one being another Partner Showcase, and the other being a General Direct with nothing but first-party titles? I know thag isn't very likely, but given that the world as a whole doesn't make sense anymore, I just wanted to throw it out there.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Admittedly, I feel a little bad for asking this given the circumstances, but how would you guys feel if we had two Directs in August: one being another Partner Showcase, and the other being a General Direct with nothing but first-party titles? I know thag isn't very likely, but given that the world as a whole doesn't make sense anymore, I just wanted to throw it out there.
Wouldn't bug me, I did like the fact that the Switch is getting some Shin Megami Tensei games in the last Partner Showcase.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
For nightmare picks

Crash, Doomguy, Master Chief, any Mortal Kombat rep, Adachi Toru, Jin Kisaragi

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nightmare picks:

Siegfried from Soul Calibur or a Kirby villain
Rimshot

I see what u did there

anyway guess what today is

Either we get a new spirit event, a themed recurring spirit event or another tourney

what’s it gonna be?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Rimshot

I see what u did there

Either we get a new spirit event, a themed recurring spirit event or another tourney

what’s it gonna be?
If it's a Spirit, I'm half-expecting it to take out a major request. Actually, I'm expecting a massacre with at least one of the Mii reveals. Bonus points if it's with a hotly-requested character, like Isaac or Dante-We won, but at what cost?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If it's a Spirit, I'm half-expecting it to take out a major request. Actually, I'm expecting a massacre with at least one of the Mii reveals. Bonus points if it's with a hotly-requested character, like Isaac or Dante-We won, but at what cost?
Every time Tuesday rolls around and a new Spirit Event looms on the horizon, I fear that Sakurai will finally decide to put Ace Attorney on the chopping block.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Rimshot

I see what u did there

what’s it gonna be?
My bet is on Paper Mario if it's a spirit event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom