• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I really don't think trying to determine who the most and least hyped characters are is the best way to speculate on DLC because of how subjective hype is. I know many people brought up Bayonetta as an example of ending on an underwhelming character, but she was the character I was looking forward to the most out of Smash 4's DLC, and a lot of other people were excited for her as well. It's important to remember that what's popular in the general gaming landscape is different from what's popular in Smash speculation bubbles. While a Resident Evil character might not be as popular in Smash speculation as Geno or Shantae, your average joe is more likely to know who Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine are than Geno or Shantae. Online polls from within Smash circles aren't the most reliable way to gauge who is and isn't popular in the current gaming landscape, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Joker or Hero

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I really don't think trying to determine who the most and least hyped characters are is the best way to speculate on DLC because of how subjective hype is. I know many people brought up Bayonetta as an example of ending on an underwhelming character, but she was the character I was looking forward to the most out of Smash 4's DLC, and a lot of other people were excited for her as well. It's important to remember that what's popular in the general gaming landscape is different from what's popular in Smash speculation bubbles. While a Resident Evil character might not be as popular in Smash speculation as Geno or Shantae, your average joe is more likely to know who Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine are than Geno or Shantae. Online polls from within Smash circles aren't the most reliable way to gauge who is and isn't popular in the current gaming landscape, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Joker or Hero
I think people underestimate how much Bayo meant at the time of her reveal. Can't say I was too excited back then (hadn't played the games yet), but she still added an all-new studio and game genre to Smash and helped show that M-rated characters could be done justice, among being interesting to play overall.

I do think her being OP played a role on the Bayo hate train, though. :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think a few supposed leaks got all the ones so far but I think they were going off other leaks

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Nobody, because I don't care nor cry over other people's happiness.

I just want a character, feel disappointed if they're not in, and carry on while finding whoever is in "cool" or "okay whatever."

personally I get annoyed by the Steve haters if they strawman arguments against him, and say things that just make them look incredibly ignorant, but at least the people here are reasonable and just dislike him, except for one or two dudes that just had to come into the Steve thread just to be scumbags and push their ideas as facts or tell us to stop crying when nobody was; neither of them post in this thread though. Then of course there's all the other toxic people that argue against characters by simply using their own opinions and act like jerks. Don't even ask me why some people seem to group all Steve fans together as trolls when he's obviously a legitimate choice and you can easily find thousands and thousands of genuine fans by looking at how good the positive Steve in Smash-related youtube videos do alone, with the small minority of trolls that use the deformed render obviously being fakers. Basing a fanbase off of some people is stupid anyway, we may as well assume every game/character and its/their fanbase are horrible at that point.
I agree with both points. While I was initially bummed by E3 (Banjo and Hero are both "who"s to my dumb genz brain) seeing my friends excitement for both perked me up. Steve was actually my no. 1 among realistic characters, still kinda bummed about Banjo deconfirming him ngl. It's always good to recall w these reveals that there's someone who wanted these characters.
Or how the last Brawl non unlockable character was Olimar...
jokes aside, Smash has a bad track record of showing the hype-r characters prior, regardless of DLC or no. Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr were the last two base roster characters in 4 revealed, for an example. It'll continue here, whether you like it or not, as it is now

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
However, we have two characters, those being Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B, who aren't from traditional video games.
Looks at both of my mains.

Who said that was ever a bad thing though?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Heihachi was briefly considered to be a playable character. Now, it has been decided that he becomes a sprite during Pac-Man's Namco Roulette taunt. Sakurai has probably thought about many characters. This doesn't increase the chances, Heihachi in Ultimate being a proof.

In the present, you will be able to verify that Tekken is already in Ultimate, but that Tekken has never been the favorite series of its kind according to the readers of Famitsu:
- Top 10 favorite video games on each console (2016). Street Fighter appears 2 times. Tekken 0.
-
Top 20 favorite fighting video games (2017). Street Fighter has 980 votes (not including crossovers). Tekken 136.
By being invited into other Bamco games (SoulCalibur, Project X Zone [Bamco+Monolith] and Sm4sh), Tales and Tekken give the illusion of being legitimate choices. But Tales is at JRPG what Tekken is at fighting games, series below preferences.
By accepting that Tekken/Tales will not have Fighter in Ultimate, the unnecessary energy of mockery (denial), strong opposition (anger), debate (bargaining) could be invested collectively to predict the last two DLC.
First off, nobody cares about these Famitsu stats you keep bringing up. They're arbitrary and meaningless.

Second, none of what you just said is akin to a disconfirmation.

Third, if Tekken is a sub-preference, why is it that it was the best selling fighting game franchise until Smash overtook it?

Fourth, the energy spent debating fallacies and invalid logic is energy well spent.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Digimon Virtual Pet ( Tamagotchi ) are called LCD Games by Bandai Namco.
It's a franchise that started with games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Digimon was always a game series first. The games weren't even made to promote the anime/manga by default. Those came way later after the Virtual Pets.

It's just that the anime is far more known(it also has had more overall consistent quality while the games are all over the place). It's like the opposite of Pokemon, where the anime for that franchise is nowhere near as good as the games. Both franchises are very popular anime-wise regardless.

Though if we did get Digimon, the anime is intertwined with it far more heavily than with Pokemon, even having characters debut in the games at times. It also is a master of the palette swaps, that give some RPG's a run for their money. There's over 10 different versions of regular Agumon, and almost all of them have their own palette swaps. Anyway, I could see maybe a Digidestined(like Ryo) among it, and maybe the transformations for Agumon more resembling one of the anime, the most popular style. But beyond that, it'd probably be more game-based too(especially since that's where they expanded a bunch of movesets, via the fighting games and all).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Digimon Virtual Pet ( Tamagotchi ) are called LCD Games by Bandai Namco.
It's a franchise that started with games.
You're right. The Digimon V-Pets first launched in 1997. The original Digimon World was released in 1998. The original Digimon Adventure did not premiere until 1999.

Ornl

Smash Ace
First off, nobody cares about these Famitsu stats you keep bringing up. They're arbitrary and meaningless.

Second, none of what you just said is akin to a disconfirmation.

Third, if Tekken is a sub-preference, why is it that it was the best selling fighting game franchise until Smash overtook it?

Fourth, the energy spent debating fallacies and invalid logic is energy well spent.
- The Famitsu magazine, for which Sakurai participates each month, was one of the few indicators to capture the importance of Persona 5, in addition to Dragon Quest series. The polls reveal an idea of trend, and free to everyone to share others polls about fighting games.

- Not having upgraded the Mii Costumes of Tales and Tekken from Sm4sh into the Ultimate basic game could be akin to a disconfirmation. Because there have already been many upgrades in the basic game (Inkling, Daisy, Chrom, Isabelle and K. Rool) and because Tales and Tekken wouldn't really be "new to the series".

- A preference isn't evaluated only by sales, which is visible without contest in the example of the Famitsu poll. The age of a series can also be taken into account in its reputation.

- To arbitrarily judge an idea as fallacy or invalid doesn't make it a fallacy or invalid idea.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
- The Famitsu magazine, for which Sakurai participates each month, was one of the few indicators to capture the importance of Persona 5, in addition to Dragon Quest series. The polls reveal an idea of trend, and free to everyone to share others polls about fighting games.

- Not having upgraded the Mii Costumes of Tales and Tekken from Sm4sh into the Ultimate basic game could be akin to a disconfirmation. Because there have already been many upgrades in the basic game (Inkling, Daisy, Chrom, Isabelle and K. Rool) and because Tales and Tekken wouldn't really be "new to the series".

- A preference isn't evaluated only by sales, which is visible without contest in the example of the Famitsu poll. The age of a series can also be taken into account in its reputation.

- To arbitrarily judge an idea as fallacy or invalid doesn't make it a fallacy or invalid idea.
We didn't get any of the 3rd party Mii Costumes back outside of DLC, though. That hardly counts as a deconfirmation.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Let me highlight a few key words in your phrases. "One of", "trend", "could be akin to a disconfirmation". The point is none of the evidence you provide is conclusive at all. So the fact that you speak as if these characters are disconfirmed without a doubt feels very unfounded.

Yes, Sakurai has his column at Famitsu. Can you provide evidence that he agrees with what's published there? Can you provide evidence that those polls in any way affect his decisions? Can you provide evidence that those polls are representative of Japan's population? Because if you can't, then you should be aware that you're hinging your entire argument on multiple hypothesis, and also that for most people those are flimsy as hell.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Last Two Fighters this pass will be Heihachi and Crash Bandicoot. Echo Fighters Pass will be Dixie Kong, Octoling, Black Shadow, Jeanne, and Proto Man. The Nintendo Pass will be Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Porky, Rex, and Toad.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Last Two Fighters this pass will be Heihachi and Crash Bandicoot. Echo Fighters Pass will be Dixie Kong, Octoling, Black Shadow, Jeanne, and Proto Man. The Nintendo Pass will be Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Porky, Rex, and Toad.
Citation needed.

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
I would gladly accept this, as Dixie Kong and Crash Bandicoot are basically my two most-wanted characters left that aren't already in the game.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I would gladly accept this, as Dixie Kong and Crash Bandicoot are basically my two most-wanted characters left that aren't already in the game.
Same I'm happy with this. Tbh Heihachi is the character Im least hyped about but other than that the incoming roster is fantastic.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can I get a source on this?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Digimon was always a game series first. The games weren't even made to promote the anime/manga by default. Those came way later after the Virtual Pets.

It's just that the anime is far more known(it also has had more overall consistent quality while the games are all over the place). It's like the opposite of Pokemon, where the anime for that franchise is nowhere near as good as the games. Both franchises are very popular anime-wise regardless.

Though if we did get Digimon, the anime is intertwined with it far more heavily than with Pokemon, even having characters debut in the games at times. It also is a master of the palette swaps, that give some RPG's a run for their money. There's over 10 different versions of regular Agumon, and almost all of them have their own palette swaps. Anyway, I could see maybe a Digidestined(like Ryo) among it, and maybe the transformations for Agumon more resembling one of the anime, the most popular style. But beyond that, it'd probably be more game-based too(especially since that's where they expanded a bunch of movesets, via the fighting games and all).
If Digimon got into Smash the biggest shame about not getting anything from the anime would be with the music, the games don't have awful soundtracks by any means, but when it comes to iconic tracks that define Digimon, they pretty much all come from the anime. I couldn't tell you what the most popular Digimon game song is, maybe the Machinedramon theme from DW1 or something from DW3? Either way, Butterfly and Brave Heart are far more iconic.

Other than that it would fare just fine I think, there are plenty of games to pull from when it comes to stage options and spirits, and Pokémon has already shown that it's okay to draw the personalities from the anime.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Digimon got into Smash the biggest shame about not getting anything from the anime would be with the music, the games don't have awful soundtracks by any means, but when it comes to iconic tracks that define Digimon, they pretty much all come from the anime. I couldn't tell you what the most popular Digimon game song is, maybe the Machinedramon theme from DW1 or something from DW3? Either way, Butterfly and Brave Heart are far more iconic.

Other than that it would fare just fine I think, there are plenty of games to pull from when it comes to stage options and spirits, and Pokémon has already shown that it's okay to draw the personalities from the anime.
Part of the issue is the music is dub-specific in a lot of cases. That means multiple licensed songs would be the options from different artists. Not everybody was happy that Tri didn't use the dub theme songs either, as it was only nostalgia for Japanese fans while leaving everyone else in the dust. It doesn't help that Digivolution's own music is different too.

Which is unfortunate, and we don't really get anime music anyway. Though no real reason is given to begin with. Pokemon's own anime has lots of background music that'd fit fine in Smash. There's way too many dub and sub themes to really pinpoint something to add to Smash. Not as much of an issue in 64 and Melee, but now there's over 20 different ones. Falls into a similar issue I noted above.

D

Deleted member

I didn't say it was a bad thing, I said that in response to someone claiming that Agumon shouldn't be in because he debuted as a virtual pet.
I never made that claim, my response is in regards of people saying Digimon was being slept on.

I said that I was on the fence with Digimon as the series is normally more asociated with other media (like the anime) especially in comparison with other Bamco franchises.

I would say that while I really dunno about the chances of Agumon, I would say putting it above other Bamco franchises is overblowing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
If(And this is a big IF) we had 1 more retuning studio for fighters pass instead of 2 more, who do think is more likely.
1:Capcom.
or
2:Bandai Namco.
My own answer is Bandai Namco consider that they haven't got a character for a very long time since smash 4's release with :ultpacman:.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Smash has never ended on the most hype inducing characters.
Smash 4's DLC did for me - Bayonetta was a lot like Banjo, where I had wanted to see her in Smash, but I didn't think it would ever happen. Though I realize that a lot of people would dislike her inclusion since we had a ballot where thousands of characters were voted on and only one could make it into Smash 4.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If(And this is a big IF) we had 1 more retuning studio for fighters pass instead of 2 more, who do think is more likely.
or
My own answer is Bandai Namco consider that they haven't got a character for a very long time since smash 4's release with :ultpacman:.
Capcom. I think Bandai Namco doesn't want to get developer privileges so they're overcompensating by not getting characters at the same pace as other devs. Capcom, meanwhile, have shown themselves to be great sports, and if someone understands the value of a good crossover it's Capcom.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Capcom. I think Bandai Namco doesn't want to get developer privileges so they're overcompensating by not getting characters at the same pace as other devs. Capcom, meanwhile, have shown themselves to be great sports, and if someone understands the value of a good crossover it's Capcom.
Its Namco. Its Heihachi. He'll be announced in the fall.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I never made that claim, my response is in regards of people saying Digimon was being slept on.

I said that I was on the fence with Digimon as the series is normally more asociated with other media (like the anime) especially in comparison with other Bamco franchises.

I would say that while I really dunno about the chances of Agumon, I would say putting it above other Bamco franchises is overblowing it.
The series is massive now, and it's doing the best it's ever been since the Adventure days. The Switch is already getting four Digimon games and possibly more in the future.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Its Namco. Its Heihachi. He'll be announced in the fall.

If you’ve got ACTUAL SOLID PROOF let’s hear it, otherwise please don’t dress up speculation as an actual leak, it’s misleading

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That doesn't translate to success, and it could fail.
Exhibit A: ARMS
The series is massive now, and it's doing the best it's ever been since the Adventure days. The Switch is already getting four Digimon games and possibly more in the future.
Why haven't I been hearing about these? *goes and looks for them*
EDIT: The new one looks weird.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
or
3.SEGA
They're not gonna pretend Arle hasn't been highly requested in Japan for years and Puyo Puyo isn't ridiculously popular in Japan.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
3.SEGA
They're not gonna pretend Arle hasn't been highly requested in Japan for years and Puyo Puyo isn't ridiculously popular in Japan.
Sega doesn't have to do anything because Nintendo picked the DLC, and methinks they picked ol' Joker.

D

Deleted member

or
Capcom for sure. While Bandai Namco has an ok amount of characters that could potentially be added to Smash as DLC, Capcom's got a lot more characters to choose from. With the amount of IPs they own, Nintendo definitely could've made an entire Fighter Pass of just Capcom characters if they wanted to, and considering Capcom has always had a thing for crossovers, it would not be surprising at all to see them have a part in the DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom