• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm in the middle of putting together a preliminary Edelgard moveset. Once Three Houses comes out and I can flesh it out more, I'll share it here. :p
Mind telling us in advance if she uses any actual mechanics from Three Houses, as you said a few pages back? I'm curious to see what something like that would look like for a FE character instead of them just being a weapon-based fighter.

A bit of Hero treatment, if you will.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Dunno, maybe the Home Run Contest?

Is there any improvements that you want them made ti the mode.
Leaderboards, as well as something like a challenge system. Like, "launch it this far under these restrictions." I'd love that.

Mind telling us in advance if she uses any actual mechanics from Three Houses, as you said a few pages back? I'm curious to see what something like that would look like for a FE character instead of them just being a weapon-based fighter.

A bit of Hero treatment, if you will.
I definitely want to incorporate Battalions into her moveset. They're the thing that sets the combat in Three Houses apart from other games in the series, but I'm still toying with what's the best way to incorporate them. I have ideas, but I'm still ironing out how it would interact with certain stages. :p

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, I was gonna say something about that previous argument, but seeing the above post, I’ll refrain.

Looks like he's been banned anyways.

What new topic should we discuss?
I’m in agreement with talking about new modes that could possibly be added. I don’t expect more than 2-3 more, if that. And I think the 3 that would make the most sense would be a return of Break the Targets (in either its Melee or Brawl variations), Home Run Contest, and some sort of Boss Battles mode.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys need to try harder. Last time I got his reasoning down to "It's not happening and Bayonetta shouldn't have happened either" in one post. ;)

Sorry Irene. I'll drop it now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For new modes, or returning ones, I honestly just want some form of Target Smash/Test back. Part of why I found Smash 3DS' fun is that it let me grind for items too, as well as finding multiple routes that guaranteed to get that particular target. It was a great way for me to perfect a specific character. Target Tests had a similar idea back during 64/Melee.

Generic ones or even have it as an option via Stage Builder seem fine now. Race to the Finish is already partially Board The Platformers like it was during Melee, so it covers both well enough. Though Melee's was far more clearly a combination than Ultimate's.

HRC is a must, imo. It's simple fun and works well. I honestly am still wondering why it was cut. Low priority among the small amount of time they had to make the game packed full of stuff, perhaps? I mean, HRC has been consistently used to unlock things too. But I don't think "too many unlocks" was a reason. I hope if we get it back Sakurai gives a small explanation.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
They should add Smash Tour.
I'd also like to see Boss rush and Home run contest.
And a QoL change, a GSP toggle in preferred rules, free some space in the CSS so it can work like it used to in S4.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
For new modes, or returning ones, I honestly just want some form of Target Smash/Test back. Part of why I found Smash 3DS' fun is that it let me grind for items too, as well as finding multiple routes that guaranteed to get that particular target. It was a great way for me to perfect a specific character. Target Tests had a similar idea back during 64/Melee.

Generic ones or even have it as an option via Stage Builder seem fine now. Race to the Finish is already partially Board The Platformers like it was during Melee, so it covers both well enough. Though Melee's was far more clearly a combination than Ultimate's.

HRC is a must, imo. It's simple fun and works well. I honestly am still wondering why it was cut. Low priority among the small amount of time they had to make the game packed full of stuff, perhaps? I mean, HRC has been consistently used to unlock things too. But I don't think "too many unlocks" was a reason. I hope if we get it back Sakurai gives a small explanation.
Question for y'all. How would you like it if Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish were added, but as part of the Stage Builder?

Like... instead of getting stages, we get to create and share our own stages. Would you like that? And if so, what features would you want it to have?

Superragnol29

Smash Rookie
I think they should add target test/smash and board the platforms,but it'll probably not happen
Home run contest has to be brought back and why haven't they added a boss rush like in brawl that would be unlocked after you finish the story mode

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think they should add target test/smash and board the platforms,but it'll probably not happen
Home run contest has to be brought back and why haven't they added a boss rush like in brawl that would be unlocked after you finish the story mode
Boss rush seems like something so easy to cobble together (I mean it basically already happens in WoL) that I'd be disappointed were it not to return. They could even add tweaked versions of Yellow Devil and Metal Face if they wanted to.

The cherry on top would be bringing back Porky and Rayquaza. Duon can stay in Brawl.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
HRC is a must, imo. It's simple fun and works well. I honestly am still wondering why it was cut.
A dumb theory that I had is that Ridley completely decimated the Home-Run Contest meta.
Skewer is one of the most devastating moves in the series, does minimal knockback, and a relatively short windup. Add in the forcefield to wall-Skewer Sandbag with and Ridley becomes the go-to for dominating Home-Run contest.

I wonder if there's any other character that could potentially dethrone him and send Sandbag even further.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
if you had to give me the choice between SSE and World of Light, I'd have to say Melee's Adventure Mode. if smash run counts it'd be smash run instead

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I still think Boss Rush mode is pretty much a given at this point. The absence of Porky and Mega Rayquaza spirits specifically is pretty suspect and it's kind of weird that the feature isn't already in the base game. Makes me think they're planning a new mode for them along with adding a few extra bosses. Porky and Rayquaza just happen to be the easiest to implement because they already had bosses in Brawl

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Wait
Why are Mii costumes considered deconfirmations anyways?
Several characters in the game were given Mii costumes. I'm not talking a mii costume being of a character who would be added in Ult, I'm talking about the Fox, Samus, etc Mii Costumes.
I can somewhat see the argument if it's DLC mii costumes but I don't think it's nearly a solid deconfirmation as being an assist or even a spirit

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still think Boss Rush mode is pretty much a given at this point. The absence of Porky and Mega Rayquaza spirits specifically is pretty suspect and it's kind of weird that the feature isn't already in the base game. Makes me think they're planning a new mode for them along with adding a few extra bosses. Porky and Rayquaza just happen to be the easiest to implement because they already had bosses in Brawl
Sakurai loves his Boss Rush modes yeah, he always adds them when he can, going all the way back to Kirby Super Star. It'll come eventually, although if they do expand on it I'd like to see some more new bosses instead of reusing old ones, maybe it'll make sense of Vergeben's age old Minecraft boss claim.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wait
Why are Mii costumes considered deconfirmations anyways?
Several characters in the game were given Mii costumes. I'm not talking a mii costume being of a character who would be added in Ult, I'm talking about the Fox, Samus, etc Mii Costumes.
I can somewhat see the argument if it's DLC mii costumes but I don't think it's nearly a solid deconfirmation as being an assist or even a spirit
Mii Costumes are a lot more damning then being a Spirit. Spirits, for all intents and purposes serve as the replacement for Trophies and are the most basic representation for a character/series. For something like a Mii Costume, there's more development put in to it then a simple PNG.

And TBH, I don't think a Mii Costume would exist if a character was DLC. I mean that's my take personally. The cases you mentioned were of previous Mii Costumes returning in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Superragnol29

Smash Rookie
Sakurai loves his Boss Rush modes yeah, he always adds them when he can, going all the way back to Kirby Super Star. It'll come eventually, although if they do expand on it I'd like to see some more new bosses instead of reusing old ones, maybe it'll make sense of Vergeben's age old Minecraft boss claim.
I think they should bring back porky as boss (but I'd love for him to be a character) and instead of Rayquaza we can have a different legendary Pokémon like: ultra necrozma, reshiram or zecrom; yveltal or the legendaries from sword and shield
But bringing back rayquaza would be cool too

andree123

Smash Ace
Could Sakurai give us a DLC tag team fighter like the Ice climbers, maybe with a chance being like the Pokemon Trainer and/or the possibility of three characters in one team?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Question for y'all. How would you like it if Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish were added, but as part of the Stage Builder?

Like... instead of getting stages, we get to create and share our own stages. Would you like that? And if so, what features would you want it to have?
I'd be thrilled, but it would be a nice bonus if they put out the 'official' stages for each character made with the builder, kind of like Mario Maker 2's Nintendo developed stages.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

I’d enjoy that immensely actually. Probably would download more stages than I would make with them but still, that could be really fun.

Boss rush seems like something so easy to cobble together (I mean it basically already happens in WoL) that I'd be disappointed were it not to return. They could even add tweaked versions of Yellow Devil and Metal Face if they wanted to.

The cherry on top would be bringing back Porky and Rayquaza. Duon can stay in Brawl.
That would be fun. Tweaking stage bosses to fit as actual bosses. As for Rayquaza, Porky, and Duon, if they came back as bosses (though I’d REALLY like Porky as a fighter...) I’d very much appreciate it. Just give them some new attacks each, and make them a bit flashier like what they did with Galleom. The only question I feel would be, how likely is it that the team brings them back, or adds new bosses, when we already have 10 of them? Maybe instead of facing Galeem and Dharkon, they just face whichever one was controlling them in WoL at the end of their run and add in 1 new boss to bring it up to 10? And if this were to happen, which of the 6 bosses do you see as most likely to be upgraded/brought back between Metal Face, Yellow Devil, Dark Lord, Rayquaza, Porky, and Duon?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I have to wonder if the "hints" towards Doom Guy are legit. Smash character reveals are such a big thing, and I'm not sure Nintendo would be chill with at least some Bethesda guy saying "oh we might have a Nintendo/Dewm surprise coming up wink wink nudge nudge" (though they did let a box design accurately point towards the number of remaining newcomers for Ultimate, one of which would be placed somewhere near Ryu as an echo). Surely Nintendo would have NDAs in place to if anything, keep certain discussion of the product from happening or whatever? I mean the closest we got out of Rareware was "if that were to happen, we wouldn't be the ones to announce it", but then we'd get Kirkhope deliberately denying Banjo stuff for E3 with "don't hold your breath", right?

Anyways, though not a newcomer, it'd be pretty neat to see some FP characters get returning mode things, if not all of them. Mixing stage builder with mini-games seems like a no-brainer, just look at the character-specific obstacle course custom stages people have made. And it'd fix issues with making individual stages for 80+ characters.

And as said, I don't know if we could do too many more bosses before running into a really long mode run like this game's hypothetical All-Star mode. 10 bosses already, 8 if we doubled up with the hands and eyeballs. Add a Classic Mode mural setting and a minigame for that Master Hand thing and you're golden.

And instead of adding more bosses, they could add in some more enemies to redo Smash Run in addition to a bunch of existing KO-able, non-timed ATs and the Ditto Pokemon ball (and of course, Piranha Plant fighters, maybe...). They didn't have a department for that stuff when making the base game, hence why we got that adventure mode, but they could make some good use out of the ATs. Don't know if technically you could do stuff like, splitscreen TV mode runs, map interactions between players, but you could at least customise it more.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Could Sakurai give us a DLC tag team fighter like the Ice climbers, maybe with a chance being like the Pokemon Trainer and/or the possibility of three characters in one team?
A Pokémon trainer 3-in-1 style character would be 3 times the development work for a single DLC character. The dev team would likely prefer to work on a singular character concept.

An ice climber team character could work better, but they’d have to be a pair that are nearly identical much like Ice Climbers in order to cut down on extra development costs. At the moment I can’t think of many that would fit that mold that I would be interested in playing, Lolo and Lala? Billy and Jimmy Lee? Ikari Warriors? Bubble Bobble?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they did add new bosses I'd like to see at least one boss per franchise like:
Super Mario: Giga Bowser
Donkey Kong: ???(There aren't really any good candidates here since the notable ones are invulnerable for most of the fight)
The Legend of Zelda:Ganon
Metroid: Phantoon
Yoshi: ???
Star Fox: Andross
Pokémon: Rayquaza
EarthBound: Porky
F-Zero: ???
Ice Climber: Polar Bear?
Fire Emblem: That dragon dude from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. (I think his name was Malechi or something.)
Game & Watch: Duon
Kid Icarus: Medusa from Kid Icarus (the first one)
WarioWare: The Shake King
Metal Gear: ???
Sonic The Hedgehog: Dr. Eggman
Pikmin: Water Wraith
R.O.B.: Labo Mech?
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
Mega Man: Yellow Devil from Mega Man: The Power Fighters
Wii Fit: ???
Punch Out!!: Mr. Sandman
Super Smash Bros.: Master Hand & Crazy Hand and Galeem & Dharkon
Pac-Man: ???
Xenoblade Chronicles: Metal Face
Duck Hunt: ???
Final Fantasy: No one because Square Enix
Splatoon: DJ Octavio
Castlevania: Dracula
DLC: I don't expect any DLC series bosses.
Not that I expect 30 bosses, but it would be cool to have a good 12-16 of them.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If they did add new bosses I'd like to see at least one boss per franchise like:
Donkey Kong: ???(There aren't really any good candidates here since the notable ones are invulnerable for most of the fight)
Fire Emblem: That dragon dude from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. (I think his name was Malechi or something.)
"Yoshi:???"

Not even Raphael the Raven or Naval Piranha, two of the most popular bosses? :yoshi:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I’d actually really love to see what they could do with DJ Octavio as a boss. Lots to pull from already from Splatoon 1 and 2, and maybe they could even add a few things too.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
"Yoshi:???"

Not even Raphael the Raven or Naval Piranha, two of the most popular bosses? :yoshi:
I knew about Raphiel the Raven, but he doesn't really do much in the source material, and his inclusion would require pushing the limits of the gravity mechanic from Mario Galaxy. He would be amazing if they made him work though.

I didn't remember the Naval Piranha's name. I also didn't want to pick Baby Bowser because Giga Bowser is also a thing. (That and he's in the background during the entire fight.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That would be fun. Tweaking stage bosses to fit as actual bosses. As for Rayquaza, Porky, and Duon, if they came back as bosses (though I’d REALLY like Porky as a fighter...) I’d very much appreciate it. Just give them some new attacks each, and make them a bit flashier like what they did with Galleom. The only question I feel would be, how likely is it that the team brings them back, or adds new bosses, when we already have 10 of them?
Even though bosses are presumably not that intensive to create, it's probably not very likely. Like you said, there's already plenty to work with. It would just be neat if it happened.

Maybe instead of facing Galeem and Dharkon, they just face whichever one was controlling them in WoL at the end of their run and add in 1 new boss to bring it up to 10? And if this were to happen, which of the 6 bosses do you see as most likely to be upgraded/brought back between Metal Face, Yellow Devil, Dark Lord, Rayquaza, Porky, and Duon?
Ten would be a nice parallel to Brawl's mode, which also had ten. Though by my count, there are that many possible bosses already in Ultimate, even without the stage bosses, if one splits up both Dharkon and Galeem and the Hands, as Brawl's mode did.

Though were they to add one more... Yellow Devil seems the easiest of those six, as few changes would have to be made, and his area already seems conducive to a regular boss battle. Though I can't even remember the last time I played Find Mii with hazards on, so I can't really speak on Dark Lord. I forgot he was even in the game until you listed him, haha.

That said, I'd go so far as to pay for the Boss Rush mode if they added a few brand new or returning bosses.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I knew about Raphiel the Raven, but he doesn't really do much in the source material, and his inclusion would require pushing the limits of the gravity mechanic from Mario Galaxy. He would be amazing if they made him work though.

I didn't remember the Naval Piranha's name. I also didn't want to pick Baby Bowser because Giga Bowser is also a thing. (That and he's in the background during the entire fight.)
You could also use Burt the Bashful and Cloud N' Candy :yoshi:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have to wonder if the "hints" towards Doom Guy are legit. Smash character reveals are such a big thing, and I'm not sure Nintendo would be chill with at least some Bethesda guy saying "oh we might have a Nintendo/Dewm surprise coming up wink wink nudge nudge" (though they did let a box design accurately point towards the number of remaining newcomers for Ultimate, one of which would be placed somewhere near Ryu as an echo). Surely Nintendo would have NDAs in place to if anything, keep certain discussion of the product from happening or whatever? I mean the closest we got out of Rareware was "if that were to happen, we wouldn't be the ones to announce it", but then we'd get Kirkhope deliberately denying Banjo stuff for E3 with "don't hold your breath", right?
Well, Slayer or no Slayer, a cryptic answer and a vague tease don't actually disclose anything. Nothing unrevealed has been revealed. That is what NDAs are implemented to enforce. It would be very atypical to construct an NDA so austere that a complete moratorium on even referring to the subject was negotiated. Were that the case, then the Banjo folks would've broken theirs by replying to people who broached the topic.

Pete Hines is the head of PR at Bethesda. If anyone knows how to dance around NDAs, it'd be him.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I noticed there is no mention of Bayonetta on the list. Aside from that:
I think Metal Gear RAY would be the best choice as a boss representative for the Metal Gear series. I believe RAY had the most appearances of all of the metal gears (MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, and MGR: Revengence.) It also has the movement and attack options necessary for a Smash Bros boss (especially if we include most of its attacks from MGR: Revengence.

blackghost

Smash Champion
ok finally that crap is over. somethings to consider in regards to resident evil in smash
1. survival horror is already represented in the four of fatal frame.

2. survival horror in a fighting game is extremely weird to represent. resident evil at its best is a game where often the correct approach is to not fight and conserve resources for emergencies or surprises. So when capcom has put these characters in fighting games (outside of wesker) they have ignored this themselves resulting in characters that dont represent the genre very well. (jill in mvc2, re 5 ninja jill in umvc 3, wesker, and chris). the alternative option is to drop a character like nemesis in the game and i doubt that would happen as a playable character as nemesis appearance may be a little much and unlike bayonetta his design can't be both faithful and toned down so subtly only a fan would notice.

3. because of the restrictions as i pointed out above the character would LIKELY turn out just just be a normal human dude or woman with a gun. and thats not a character i like to endorse for smash because i find it boring. Sakurai could pull off a miracle but it would have to be impressive imo.

with all that considered if capcom gets another rep I'd look to chun-li, monster hunter, ace attorney, or dante. chun-li always translates to other crossover game better than ryu becuase she isnt a grounded fighter and ussually has a crazy combo game in crossver games. moves like spinning bird kick and her lighting legs practically beg for smash bros.

monster hunter worked extremely well in infinite and theres plenty to adapt from the source series. it would likely be a mashup of abilities and weapons.

dante just would work. from his costumes references the other children of sparda, his various weapons, taunt canceling is already in the game, he just had a massive game come out, he has personality, he has the lore, and he has the fanbase.

ace attorney is a good capcom rep and sakurai likes to flex and show how he can make a moveset out of the strangest sources added phoenix wright would be a great chance for him to do so. (literally my only reasoning and the game is popular)

i think i'll wirte another post for SE eventually sephiroth, laura croft, and lloyd all Merrit heavy consideration.

only other new Nintendo game i'd consider is astral chain. but thats mostly only if we get a second season of dlc

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

I would be okay with since it can bring new ideas to stage builder, and also it would be a living nightmare to make 80+ individual stages for 80+ characters if they decide go to with the melee route.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
ok finally that crap is over. somethings to consider in regards to resident evil in smash
1. survival horror is already represented in the four of fatal frame.

2. survival horror in a fighting game is extremely weird to represent. resident evil at its best is a game where often the correct approach is to not fight and conserve resources for emergencies or surprises. So when capcom has put these characters in fighting games (outside of wesker) they have ignored this themselves resulting in characters that dont represent the genre very well. (jill in mvc2, re 5 ninja jill in umvc 3, wesker, and chris). the alternative option is to drop a character like nemesis in the game and i doubt that would happen as a playable character as nemesis appearance may be a little much and unlike bayonetta his design can't be both faithful and toned down so subtly only a fan would notice.

3. because of the restrictions as i pointed out above the character would LIKELY turn out just just be a normal human dude or woman with a gun. and thats not a character i like to endorse for smash because i find it boring. Sakurai could pull off a miracle but it would have to be impressive imo.

with all that considered if capcom gets another rep I'd look to chun-li, monster hunter, ace attorney, or dante. chun-li always translates to other crossover game better than ryu becuase she isnt a grounded fighter and ussually has a crazy combo game in crossver games. moves like spinning bird kick and her lighting legs practically beg for smash bros.

monster hunter worked extremely well in infinite and theres plenty to adapt from the source series. it would likely be a mashup of abilities and weapons.

dante just would work. from his costumes references the other children of sparda, his various weapons, taunt canceling is already in the game, he just had a massive game come out, he has personality, he has the lore, and he has the fanbase.

ace attorney is a good capcom rep and sakurai likes to flex and show how he can make a moveset out of the strangest sources added phoenix wright would be a great chance for him to do so. (literally my only reasoning and the game is popular)

i think i'll wirte another post for SE eventually sephiroth, laura croft, and lloyd all Merrit heavy consideration.

only other new Nintendo game i'd consider is astral chain. but thats mostly only if we get a second season of dlc
People in the Jill thread have proposed a few interesting mechanics. There are ways to do it - the thing is whether or not Sakurai would want to.

Aside from that... horror is weird to rep in fighting games, but I think if we got a character from any horror series, I feel like it would be Resident Evil.

With Chun-Li as a Spirit, Dante deconfirmed and Monster Hunter having base game content... the main Capcom options are either Resident Evil or Ace Attorney.

I feel both could bring all-new mechanics to Smash, so I think I'd receive either one well.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am playing through Brawl and SSE this week. Wow, it was a really good adventure. The variety of enemies and stage designs were very creative. I really wish Sakurai would have given us SSE2. It would be fun to see the new characters in the mix.

A port of the original SSE to Smash Ultimate would be cool (they can cut the movies).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I noticed there is no mention of Bayonetta on the list. Aside from that:
There's always one series I skip over when I read the series list. :/

Bayonetta would also be listed as ??? because I know pretty much nothing about the games...Now that I think about it I think I accidentally skipped Street Fighter too. (would have picked Bison)

I am playing through Brawl and SSE this week. Wow, it was a really good adventure. The variety of enemies and stage designs were very creative. I really wish Sakurai would have given us SSE2. It would be fun to see the new characters in the mix.

A port of the original SSE to Smash Ultimate would be cool (they can cut the movies).
I loved The Subspace Emissary. I wonder how they would handle a second adventure mode styled like it. Would they start over story wise or try to continue the previous one?

Aside from that... horror is weird to rep in fighting games, but I think if we got a character from any horror series, I feel like it would be Resident Evil.
Yeah, the biggest issue with horror characters in fighting games is that most horror protagonists can't fight, and placing the monster in the fighting game would make it not scary. Resident Evil would definitely be able to sidestep this since all its protagonists have guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom