• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Quake shows that Doomguy can be Doomguy without the extreme violence.
If promotion came into play, I feel Nintendo would want to "promote" third parties based on iconic status or game quality, first and foremost. Draconian Nintendo from the 80s/90s may have thought differently... but not the current, new administration.

Much as I think some people are jumping the gun with Doom and Bethesda in general... you can't take those things away from them.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Quake shows that Doomguy can be Doomguy without the extreme violence.
Again, I don't know how you figure that, but it doesn't matter to me either way, because extreme violence is not the only thing barring Doomguy in my mind.

Regardless of whether you could somehow pull it off, it will never change the fact that the latest Doom game does prominently feature intense, brutal, gory violence, and by putting Doomguy into Smash, they are essentially endorsing a game like that next to characters like Kirby and Isabelle. They wouldn't do it.

I'm well-aware that Doom is already available on Switch, but that doesn't mean they'd ever give it the Smash bump.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
From what I can tell, Persona and Bayonetta also have brutal/extreme stuff but they included the characters in Smash just fine.
Yeah, ultimately, they ended up focusing on characterization through gameplay mechanics rather than the more violent or risqué aspects. Which... works just fine to me. I'm all for different aesthetics in Smash, even if toned down.

Vrbtm

From what I can tell, Persona and Bayonetta also have brutal/extreme stuff but they included the characters in Smash just fine.
They're stylized. That means they don't try to be realistic. They're purposefully over the top or cartoonish about it to a point where it's difficult to take seriously, and anyone can recognize that.

The violence in Doom and Halo is handled a lot more seriously and with a lot more realism, because that's their appeal.

Not all violence is equal, it can't all be measured with the same stick.

Yeah, ultimately, they ended up focusing on characterization through gameplay mechanics rather than the more violent or risqué aspects. Which... works just fine to me.
With games like Doom and Halo, you cannot "focus" on any other aspects without completely throwing away what makes them appealing for so many people.

Just because you could do it with Metal Gear, Bayonetta, and Persona doesn't mean you can do it with everything.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They're stylized. That means they don't try to be realistic. They're purposefully over the top or cartoonish about it to a point where it's difficult to take seriously, and anyone can recognize that.

The violence in Doom and Halo is handled a lot more seriously and with a lot more realism, because that's their appeal.

With games like Doom and Halo, you cannot "focus" on any other aspects without completely throwing away what makes them appealing for so many people.

Just because you could do it with Metal Gear, Bayonetta, and Persona doesn't mean you can do it with everything.
If you'd opened the Persona spoiler, I think you'd stop saying Persona's violence is "cartoony and stylized."

It's really not.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm neutral-ish on Doomguy, but I'm pretty sure nothing he can do can be can be any more violent than this.
1563468870410.png

Except maybe the chainsaw, but if that was where Sakurai drew the line, he would have never added Corrin.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I mean from what Opossum said there’s at least a couple of messed up things regarding Joker.

And Bayonetta has torture and demonic stuff so...and from what I know about Doom, you’re killing demonic aliens...?

I haven’t played these games but I find it a bit much for my tastes despite thinking Doomguy seems cool. I haven’t played Halo either but it doesn’t seem any “worse” than the others.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

The violence in Halo and Doom are completely different. The most realistic thing about Halo's gunplay are the sound effects. Which are identical to sound effects used in games like Metal Gear Solid.

You're not applying any nuance to your argument, instead saying all FPS games can't be in Smash, and then rejecting Metroid Prime. Which does feature you killing creatures which are just as humanoid as the ones in Halo, the only difference is a little bit more blood splatter.

I actually agree with you that the violence in Doom would be a barrier. But that's an 18 rated game where I live, Halo is a 16, which is a lower rating than Bayonetta and Metal Gear Solid.

And I'm sure you'll break down my comment and call me an idiot for engaging with you or having a different opinion, because you don't actually want a discussion, you want everyone to accept your opinion as correct. But guess what, the replies you're getting seem to imply you're in the minority so just take the L?

Edit: Obviously I shouldn't have sunk this low, I let the heat of the moment get to me and did not mean to stoop to personal accusations and apologise for any offence that I caused.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Dunno... reducing Halo and Doom to just those aspects is pretty much ignoring the legacy those series have.

People weren't talking about Halo anymore in speculation because Chief was deconfirmed. Else, he would have been a contender for Banjo's slot, along with Steve, until the very end, because of how iconic his series is.

I don't think violence is the only thing people love about those games. Far from it.

Vrbtm

If you'd opened the Persona spoiler, I think you'd stop saying Persona's violence is "cartoony and stylized."

It's really not.
What exactly is spoiled? A boss? The final boss? A plot detail? Depending on what it is, I might not care and would be able to check it.

I'm neutral-ish on Doomguy, but I'm pretty sure nothing he can do can be can be any more violent than this.
...Yes.

He can.

I mean, come on. That doesn't even rank at a 3/10 on the violence scale.

I can't even post a counterexample from Doom, because the last time I tried that, I was given an infraction point. That's how extreme it was. I didn't even directly link it, and I was warned for posting gore, even though I gave fair warning.

Just google "Doom chainsaw kill gif" if you're not squeamish if you need to see what I'm talking about. It's way worse than a ****ing baby-tier silhouette shot of a robot getting impaled in a very stylized and cartoonish way.

The violence in Halo and Doom are completely different. The most realistic thing about Halo's gunplay are the sound effects. Which are identical to sound effects used in games like Metal Gear Solid.
And the graphics, and the first person perspective, and the physics engine, and the tone...

You're not applying any nuance to your argument, instead saying all FPS games can't be in Smash, and then rejecting Metroid Prime. Which does feature you killing creatures which are just as humanoid as the ones in Halo, the only difference is a little bit more blood splatter.
I never said "all FPS." I specifically acknowledged Metroid Prime as an acceptable example because of its LACK of realism and violence.

That's because I AM applying nuance.

But that's an 18 rated game where I live, Halo is a 16, which is a lower rating than Bayonetta and Metal Gear Solid.
So you see my point that ratings are arbitrary and don't mean anything. It's the content that matters.

And I'm sure you'll break down my comment and call me an idiot
I haven't called anyone an idiot, so I'm not sure why you'd make that assumption.

I would say that you're being very obtuse and uncharitable towards my point of view, though.

I don't think violence is the only thing people love about those games. Far from it.
And I never ONCE said that it was. Not one time.

In fact, I've frequently stated that violence is NOT the only factor! Yes. Numerous times. All ignored.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
doomguy: "too violent"

sakurai:

1563470665274.png

"Too violent!" is absolutely no issue, we got three M-Rated monsters so far no problem. Doomguy shouldn't be a problem either.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
And the graphics, and the first person perspective, and the physics engine, and the tone...

I never said "all FPS." I specifically acknowledged Metroid Prime as an acceptable example because of its LACK of realism and violence.

So you see my point that ratings are arbitrary and don't mean anything. It's the content that matters.

I haven't called anyone an idiot, so I'm not sure why you'd make that assumption.

I would say that you're being very obtuse and uncharitable towards my point of view, though.
The tone of Halo is definitely not realistic. The physics also aren't realistic. Halo is a game where you fight space aliens and half the weapon set is made up of completely unrealistic weaponry.

You're a massive guy in a suit of armour who outside of multiplayer almost exclusively kills aliens, in a way which is not all that much worse than Metroid Prime.

If you think that the world and gameplay of Halo are more "realistic" than Metroid Prime then I'm not sure what to say.

I get what you're saying with Doom. But the word you're looking for is not realism.

And I am being uncharitable to your point because you're being uncharitable to everyone elses. Don't come off as so aggressive and maybe people won't do the same back to you.

I think Halo has a perfectly fine violence level to be in Smash. It won't be because in the game Banjo is in.

I do think Doom is across that line, but I also think the older games and its relevance to gaming culture help bring it back across. Especially because as you say, context matters and those early Doom have actually come down in rating over the years.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Have a big post to why I think Ninja Gaiden, Doom, and Resident Evil are the three most likely DLC franchises:

Ninja Gaiden
- Koei Tecmo already has content in Smash in the form of the Fatal Frame assist trophy.
- Koei Tecmo helped developed multiple titles for Nintendo including Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. They also helped with Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
- Ryu Hayabusa is arguably Koei Tecmo's most iconic character.
- Ryu Hayabusa is also one of the most, if not the most iconic ninjas in gaming, only rivaled by Scorpion and Sub-Zero.
- Is arguably the last big 80s gaming franchise not yet in Smash in some form.
- Is one of the most influential franchises in the hack n' slash genre.

Doom
- "Hints" that might mean Doom is coming to Smash (Mick Gordon's secret project, Pete Hines's comments on Smash, his more recent comment on Nintendo fans and DOOM, Nintendo people saying Doom is a like a Nintendo franchise, Bethesda visiting Japan last year (not Tango related)).
- Doomguy/Doom Slayer is arguably Bethesda's most iconic character (even though he's not originally a Bethesda character).
- Both Doom 2016 and the upcoming Doom Eternal are on Switch.
- Represents First Person Shooters, a genre not yet in Smash.
- Is the most influential franchise in that genre.

Resident Evil
- Resident Evil is the biggest Japanese franchise not yet in Smash.
- A bunch of RE games have released or will be released on Switch.
- Nintendo had a big advertising segment for the series during the E3 Direct, similar to the Dragon Quest one in the February Direct.
- Is Capcom's best selling franchise.
- Represents Survival Horror, a genre not yet in Smash.

All three, of course, been on Nintendo consoles through the generations as well. And the three companies that own them, Bethesda, Capcom, and Koei Tecmo, have been supporting the Switch a good amount.

I really think the three are the most likely choices for the remaining two DLC slots. While I lean on Resident Evil and DOOM, I believe Ninja Gaiden has a good shot of getting in over one of them.

Vrbtm

The tone of Halo is definitely not realistic. The physics also aren't realistic. Halo is a game where you fight space aliens and half the weapon set is made up of completely unrealistic weaponry. You're a massive guy in a suit of armour who outside of multiplayer almost exclusively kills aliens, in a way which is not all that much worse than Metroid Prime.
You realize that just because something is science fiction doesn't mean the writers can't try their best to make it SEEM realistic?

And that's what I'm talking about. It's not complicated.

Obviously plasma weapons and angry armored space aliens aren't real, but they're designed to SEEM plausible. It's not like Kirby, where nothing about it is plausible or made to seem real. Are you really saying that Halo is like Kirby?

Metroid Prime is a great deal more realistic than most Nintendo games, but it's still not on Halo's level. It's still a little further back on the sliding scale, just enough for me to consider it acceptable, because none of the weapons you use are real, and there's no point where you kill humans. It's not even a game about killing or war. It's about exploration, so more emphasis is placed on that.

It's so frustrating that I have to explain this stuff.
If you think that the world and gameplay of Halo are more "realistic" than Metroid Prime then I'm not sure what to say.
It's not what I think, it's what I know. I don't even think it's a matter of opinion.

At what point in Metroid Prime does Samus wield a pistol or an assault rifle? Never. It never happens.

At what point in Metroid Prime does an all-out war break out where you experience it firsthand? Never.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Doomguy/Doom Slayer is arguably Bethesda's most iconic character (even though he's not originally a Bethesda character).
I don't know about that one, man. Todd Howard would like a word, maybe to ask you to buy Skyrim for the 27th time.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Violence is still violence no matter how "over-the-top" it is. Trying to argue that any shooty game is somehow more violent than the series where two of your main means of summoning your Cool Demon Friends™ are ripping your face off and shooting yourself in the head is just false. While I can kind of understand the Doom concern, the violence in Halo really isn't any less fantastical than the stuff you'd find in Metal Gear since you're mostly shooting alien dudes with made-up sci-fi weapons. Regardless of how silly Metal Gear can be at times, it's still a war drama with mostly realistic weapons, so the whole "war games can't be in Smash" thing doesn't hold any water. I can't believe we're still having the M-rated argument in the year of our lord 2019 when it's been shot down three times

Vrbtm

Doom
- "Hints" that might mean Doom is coming to Smash (Mick Gordon's secret project, Pete Hines's comments on Smash, his more recent comment on Nintendo fans and DOOM, Nintendo people saying Doom is a like a Nintendo franchise, Bethesda visiting Japan last year (not Tango related)).
- Doomguy/Doom Slayer is arguably Bethesda's most iconic character (even though he's not originally a Bethesda character).
Funny, everything you just said is a reason why I don't think he's happening.

Vrbtm

Violence is still violence no matter how "over-the-top" it is.
Hoooooooooooo boy.

So, just to be 100% clear with what you just said, you think that THIS...

is comparable to Doom Slayer ripping an alien's face apart by its open mouth until it explodes into bloody giblets with a tongue left sticking out.

It doesn't matter how over the top it is, it's ALL violence, so it's all the same. That's what you're saying.

the series where two of your main means of summoning your Cool Demon Friends™ are ripping your face off and shooting yourself in the head is just false.
These summoning methods are presented in a stylized way that isn't shocking and looks cartoonish. It can't be taken seriously, because it's not meant to be.

Doom's way of presenting a face-ripping is much more intense.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't know about that one, man. Todd Howard would like a word, maybe to ask you to buy Skyrim for the 27th time.
True, but wasn't it Doom that technically began the joke about running on almost literally everything?

... God, if a Bethesda rep makes it, imagine the jokes about making Smash playable on weird appliances...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
is comparable to Doom Slayer ripping an alien's face apart by its open mouth until it explodes into bloody giblets with a tongue left sticking out.
It's simple. They downgrade the violence. He can still do the violent actions in a way that it's more slapstick, but there isn't any blood gushing or demon guts anywhere. Snake does military chokeholds for his grab. You can kill with those in every MGS. I want to take Fortnite as an example. Definitely has immenese amounts of gun violence, but it maks that by making it a lot more slapstick and no blood is shown during any of the games. That's how it gets away with only a T Rating. The same applies to Doomguy, especially more so since DLC is an option and the ESRB, AFAIK, can't touch most aspects of it.

Vrbtm

They’re anime dudes with realistic proportions and there’s still blood.

It’s still disturbing.
I just don't agree, and even if I did, I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible, as well as from Nintendo's perspective.

Would Nintendo want to endorse cartoony stylized violence, or realistic gory violence? What are they KNOWN for?

The answer is quite obvious.

It's simple. They downgrade the violence.
"It's simple. They downgrade the essence of the character, completely changing what they are."

Yeah okay. Sure thing.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
You realize that just because something is science fiction doesn't mean the writers can't try their best to make it SEEM realistic?

And that's what I'm talking about. It's not complicated.
Not at all what I'm saying. I just don't think you've actually seen what the gameplay in Halo looks like.

Obviously plasma weapons and angry armored space aliens aren't real, but they're designed to SEEM plausible. It's not like Kirby, where nothing about it is plausible or made to seem real. Are you really saying that Halo is like Kirby?
False equivalency, not even going to bother.

Metroid Prime is a great deal more realistic than most Nintendo games, but it's still not on Halo's level. It's still a little further back on the sliding scale, just enough for me to consider it acceptable, because none of the weapons you use are real, and there's no point where you kill humans. It's not even a game about killing or war. It's about exploration, so more emphasis is placed on that.
That's fair. But that doesn't change the realistic weapons that Snake uses and that the entirety of Metal Gear Solid is based on. But you're going to dodge this by saying that it's stylised and not in first person aren't you? Because those are the only two arguments that you have.

Nuance would mean you acknowledge that these things aren't absolute. If Metal Gear Solid and Halo are at similar levels of violence, being a FPS doesn't push Halo over the line just by virtue of it's perspective. But you'll say it does, so I guess we're at an impasse.

It's so frustrating that I have to explain this stuff.
It's not what I think, it's what I know. I don't even think it's a matter of opinion.
Remember when I said you'd call me an idiot? This is what I'm referring to. You're condescending and think you're better than people. But guess what, we're both losers because we're fighting on the internet about which shoot-y gun game is more violent on the basis of completely arbitrary reasoning. The difference is is that I'm going to be done with this conversation after this comment and you'll probably reply to the void.

At what point in Metroid Prime does Samus wield a pistol or an assault rifle? Never. It never happens.

At what point in Metroid Prime does an all-out war break out where you experience it firsthand? Never.
Is this where I tell you to look at Metroid Prime 3 and Other M? It's not all out war, but there's definitely large scale battles with human soldiers fighting on your side that are just as brutal as things in Halo. But again, I eagerly anticipate you hand waving this away to make the same two points you've already made ad nauseum.

Have a nice day!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What exactly is spoiled? A boss? The final boss? A plot detail? Depending on what it is, I might not care and would be able to check it.

...Yes.

He can.

I mean, come on. That doesn't even rank at a 3/10 on the violence scale.

I can't even post a counterexample from Doom, because the last time I tried that, I was given an infraction point. That's how extreme it was. I didn't even directly link it, and I was warned for posting gore, even though I gave fair warning.

Just google "Doom chainsaw kill gif" if you're not squeamish if you need to see what I'm talking about. It's way worse than a ****ing baby-tier silhouette shot of a robot getting impaled in a very stylized and cartoonish way.

And I never ONCE said that it was. Not one time.

In fact, I've frequently stated that violence is NOT the only factor! Yes. Numerous times. All ignored.
The first one I listed isn't really a spoiler since it happens at basically the start of the game, in the first palace. The second, though, is a pretty massive story spoiler, but it's incredibly violent.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Have a big post to why I think Ninja Gaiden, Doom, and Resident Evil are the three most likely DLC franchises:

Ninja Gaiden
- Koei Tecmo already has content in Smash in the form of the Fatal Frame assist trophy.
- Koei Tecmo helped developed multiple titles for Nintendo including Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. They also helped with Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
- Ryu Hayabusa is arguably Koei Tecmo's most iconic character.
- Ryu Hayabusa is also one of the most, if not the most iconic ninjas in gaming, only rivaled by Scorpion and Sub-Zero.
- Is arguably the last big 80s gaming franchise not yet in Smash in some form.
- Is one of the most influential franchises in the hack n' slash genre.

Doom

Resident Evil
- Resident Evil is the biggest Japanese franchise not yet in Smash.
- A bunch of RE games have released or will be released on Switch.
- Nintendo had a big advertising segment for the series during the E3 Direct, similar to the Dragon Quest one in the February Direct.
- Is Capcom's best selling franchise.
- Represents Survival Horror, a genre not yet in Smash.

All three, of course, been on Nintendo consoles through the generations as well. And the three companies that own them, Bethesda, Capcom, and Koei Tecmo, have been supporting the Switch a good amount.

I really think the three are the most likely choices for the remaining two DLC slots. While I lean on Resident Evil and DOOM, I believe Ninja Gaiden has a good shot of getting in over one of them.
Still think people are jumping the gun a bit about the Pete Hines thing, but yeah, all three series are strong contenders. I'd say RE is the strongest out of those three, simply because Capcom loves their crossovers and is already in contact with Ninty.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I just don't agree, and even if I did, I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible, as well as from Nintendo's perspective.

Would Nintendo want to endorse cartoony stylized violence, or realistic gory violence? What are they KNOWN for?

The answer is quite obvious.
I don’t think they care.

In one of the Metal Gear games, a woman gets bombs shoved up her...you know what, and she has a spirit battle in Smash that references this.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Still think people are jumping the gun a bit about the Pete Hines thing, but yeah, all three series are strong contenders. I'd say RE is the strongest out of those three, simply because Capcom loves their crossovers and is already in contact with Ninty.
I did put "hints" in quotations.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
remember how ace attorney was M-Rated for a while

Vrbtm

Not at all what I'm saying. I just don't think you've actually seen what the gameplay in Halo looks like.
I've probably been playing Halo before you were even born, actually.

False equivalency, not even going to bother.
It's the false equivalency that YOU'RE making. So, thank you for admitting that.

But that doesn't change the realistic weapons that Snake uses
You keep trying to pin these singular factors on these games, as if I'm only concerned about singular factors. With respect to Metal Gear, you're right, it does have realistic gun violence. But you're missing several other factors.

For two more, Metal Gear isn't first person, and it doesn't take itself seriously. Those are kind of important to have for the point you're trying to make.

You keep accusing me of lacking nuance when I'm the most nuanced person in the thread right now.

But you're going to dodge this by saying that it's stylised
It's actually not stylized in Metal Gear, no. It's presented quite realistically. But yes, the fact that it's a third person game still makes all the difference. It's still a game that discourages violence and encourages you to use stealth to avoid all conflict. It's the most peaceful war game ever made.

being a FPS doesn't push Halo over the line just by virtue of it's perspective. But you'll say it does
The REASON it does is because of the immersion. First person games are designed to make you feel like you're the one on the scene committing every action. It makes violence that much more personal and that much more intense as a result.

What other reasons might you think there's so little FPS representation in Smash? I wonder (I actually don't).

Is this where I tell you to look at Metroid Prime 3 and Other M? It's not all out war
You're right. It's not.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I did put "hints" in quotations.
Oh, I'm aware. That part wasn't about you specifically. Could have worded it better, probably.

There's also Sakurai's mysterious robot figure with a gun. We don't know what it was used for yet.

Hayabusa also had that weird conversation with the DoA director where people asked about him being in Smash and he changed the subject. Not very much "hints" either, but I figured I'd add these to the points you've already made.

I think the only thing going against Hayabusa is that we don't know if Nintendo would give a slot to another retro franchise, after Banjo and (technically) Dragon Quest. But it's still possible. Only played the NES original game, but I think he could be interesting.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

The first one I listed isn't really a spoiler since it happens at basically the start of the game, in the first palace.
Yeah, just as I thought, it's not realistic or violent enough. Certainly not Doom-tier. Acceptable for Smash.

In one of the Metal Gear games, a woman gets bombs shoved up her...you know what, and she has a spirit battle in Smash that references this.
You don't SEE it happen, so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

But I guess Nintendo and Sakurai are still “endorsing” this.
Goofy and stylized cartoon violence?

Yep, have been since the '70s. Never denied that.

If you're referring to the stupid Metal Gear thing, it was clearly just a little gag that only a few people would even understand. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I've probably been playing Halo before you were even born, actually..
I know I said I wouldn't respond to you anymore. But I just wanted to say that's my real age on my profile and if that's your real age on yours, then that's physically impossible and the rest of your post is just you ranting about the exact things I said you would.

Oh and you included a "I know you are but what am I" response which really reinforces your maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom