• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Min Min doesn't seem like she'd be E3 material. She's a cool character, but she's not a big, influential icon, nor is she highly requested. Usually, we've had big characters for E3, especially when DLC is involved. Who knows, maybe they'll push a new reveal forward to fill the gap.
That being said, only one new character seems logical, especially since this isn't the E3 Direct anymore.

You mean Calyrex?
I think it’s pretty clear that Nintendo has further plans for the Arms franchise. I think announcing Min-Min alongside a bigger character is a smart idea because it’d get people who come for the big character to take a look at Min-Min & thus the Arms series.

who do you guys think will be the retro rep of this pass? similar to how terry was, at least thats what i see him as.
I know DQXI’s Luminary is the default, but I count Hero as the retro rep tbh. Mainly because Dragon Quest originated on NES. My guess for a retro rep is either Ryu Hayabusa or a Beat Em Up character like Haggar, Billy/Jimmy, Axel or Rash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Maybe, say, Sakura Shinguji?
Not gonna lie, I partly want this just to confuse western anime fans.

Since we never got the game she was the actual star in, we just got an English dub of the anime adaptation of said game. So people in the west would probably only recognize her as an anime character not a game one.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
"Isn't it so cool that Mario can fight Sonic, Cloud Strife, and Banjo & Kazooie in one game? It's the console wars come to life!"

The guest stares at you, obviously confused, and honestly asks, "Don't you have any other hobbies? You've been talking about this game for 20 minutes."

To which you respond, voice laced with the regret of countless summers lost to petty arguments on online forums, "Who needs hobbies when I have Smash Bros?"

From the sheer-faced cringe of your guest, you come to the bitter realization that there's more to life than a character selection stage, but it's far too late to change.

"Get out. I want to be left alone." You say. Your guest understands, and promptly leaves. You sink to your knees, and sob. Your phone buzzes in your pocket. It's a notification.

"HOTGIRLVIDEOS69 POSTED ON TWITTER?! WE MIGHT GET A DIRECT SOON? YES!"

Ė̵͖v̶͉̽̽é̷̩̈ṟ̵͎͋ÿ̵͉t̵̼̕h̷͍̐i̴̗̼̓̐n̴̮͑̾ͅg̶͙̔̔ ̴̟̾̾i̵͓̒́s̷͍͒ ̴̳̻̍f̸̧̑͠i̶͈̲̊n̴̔͜e̸̛͖͇͠.̶͈͛̉
Posts like these are why I keep coming back to this thread.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
If I had actual drawing or photoshop skills, this would've turned out better. Alas, I present thee with:
abomination.jpg

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Not gonna lie, I partly want this just to confuse western anime fans.

Since we never got the game she was the actual star in, we just got an English dub of the anime adaptation of said game. So people in the west would probably only recognize her as an anime character not a game one.
Oh, God…the amounts of “See? Goku is totally possible now!” would be insufferable.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
There won't be one.

Terry represents a series with a long history, but still represents an active series.
It's a shame that Ultimate doesn't have a "pure" retro rep (with absolutely no other appearances) in the vein of :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::pit::ultrob::ultduckhunt:, but also not a big surprise - you're never going to get any kind of mass appeal with Takamaru or Mike Jones, and Melee is now older than the Ice Climbers were when they were first added. They went for some Nostalgia Picks instead which is a bit of a middle ground.

Excitebike is the closest thing I could see as the highest selling unrepresented NES game (not even having the AT anymore is a big miss) - and even that has modern entries that noone really remembers. Most third-party retro reps would be in the same boat, I guess.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Clearly they're going to add Waluigi to revitalize interest in Mario Tennis Aces like they did with ARMS. They're even doing the Gold Point Tournament thing! It's SO obvious!

Just wait until they add Daisy again to promote Super Mario Party. This pass is gonna be lit.
I wouldn't even be mad if it meant that we're getting Waluigi.
But I feel like the fact that Spring Man wasn't FP6 is damn good evidence that Assist Trophies (and possibly Mii Costumes) are out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's a shame that Ultimate doesn't have a "pure" retro rep (with absolutely no other appearances) in the vein of :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::pit::ultrob::ultduckhunt:, but also not a big surprise - you're never going to get any kind of mass appeal with Takamaru or Mike Jones, and Melee is now older than the Ice Climbers were when they were first added. They went for some Nostalgia Picks instead which is a bit of a middle ground.

Excitebike is the closest thing I could see as the highest selling unrepresented NES game (not even having the AT anymore is a big miss) - and even that has modern entries that noone really remembers. Most third-party retro reps would be in the same boat, I guess.
Wouldn't Banjo or K.Rool be the perfect fit for the term? Banjo fits all the criteria except that he was on the N64 instead of the NES, which friendly reminder, was over 20 years old when he got in Smash and just like K.Rool, hadn't appeared in anything for a decade when they appeared. For some reason people never like calling these two retro picks but will gladly slap it onto Terry and the Belmonts despite those series having being way more active

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I'm pretty sure the retro pick was either banjo or Simon.

Both of them fit the bill

Shroob

Sup?
But yeah.

With good indication a Direct of some sort's on the horizon, and the website removing the NEW thing, which has always meant a new character is coming relatively soon, it's pretty safe to put 2 and 2 together.

It'll be fun to see who it is, and the copious amount of reactions that come from whoever. It was going to be the E3 reveal, so this character will be very interesting in seeing who the Big-N chose for E3.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
But yeah.

With good indication a Direct of some sort's on the horizon, and the website removing the NEW thing, which has always meant a new character is coming relatively soon, it's pretty safe to put 2 and 2 together.

It'll be fun to see who it is, and the copious amount of reactions that come from whoever. It was going to be the E3 reveal, so this character will be very interesting in seeing who the Big-N chose for E3.
No doubt if this was the E3 character then this character is season 2's big guns. So thatll be interesting.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But yeah.

its sora

sora time

if i keep saying it then it has to come true

please

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well, don't forget that this pass is going into next year as well, which means it could also attend next year's E3......... if there even is one.
Or one big gun this year and the second big gun next year.

"Big gun" being a subjective term here, used to refer to a more widely popular character (i.e. Joker, Banjo, Hero for Japan)

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
We didn’t know that there would be an arms

Then came the shock when in came Min Min

3 weeks of no news really did no harm

To let her sit there with her win win

Only now we got rumors like the Christmas elf

And Nintendo and Microsoft still got no beef

All I can say is prepare yourself

For Master Chief
View attachment 278350
So I've been doing some model ripping, and my interest in Halo is finally getting piqued. I don't think I'll be able to play through all of the games to form an opinion, but maybe at least a few. I was just wondering which iteration of Master Chief design-wise fans generally consider to be the best, since I hear some contention akin to Samus and Doomguy's suits, and I'm interested in adding a third to this image.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So I've been doing some model ripping, and my interest in Halo is finally getting piqued. I don't think I'll be able to play through all of the games to form an opinion, but maybe at least a few. I was just wondering which iteration of Master Chief design-wise fans generally consider to be the best, since I hear some contention akin to Samus and Doomguy's suits, and I'm interested in adding a third to this image.
IIRC Halo 2’s Master Chief design is probably the most iconic look for him, so I would use that.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

They just deleted this tweet.
It's a stationary set you can get via My Nintendo Store from August.
Smash related news is coming soon hopefully.
I know I'm about a day late, but...

"YOU join the battle! YOU join the battle! EVERYONE joins the battle!!!"

or

"You've joined the battle, HE'S joined the battle! Is there anyone else who's joined the battle that I don't know about?!" *Meow* "I'm out of here."

In all seriousness, I REALLY wish this would be released over in the West. I wonder how many would use these as their wedding invite letters...

By the way... considering the concepts of these letters... Well, isn't this kind of what Mii Fighters are for?:p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Any character that NEVER had a good game, doesn't deserve to be in Smash. That means Ice Climbers. That means ROB. That means G&W.

Duck Hunt is...ehhh...it's charming, but I'm not sure it's actually a good game.
Personal opinion aside.

Is it really fair to call the Game and Watch games bad? For their time, they were very impressive and high quality.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Is it really fair to call the Game and Watch games bad? For their time, they were very impressive and high quality.
How so?

Those games all came out post Atari 2600. And they were still coming out well into the NES era. And arcades were still a thing. I'm not sure what was impressive or high quality about games that were glorified calculators when there were real game systems in existence at the time.

Like, okay, the 2600 version of Donkey Kong sucks. But the G&W version is even worse.

Maybe they're impressive if you add the qualifier "for a handheld". But outside that, no, they weren't impressive compared to other video games that existed at the time.

Last edited:

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
Sure Simon is kind of the retro rep of Ultimate but Castlevania kept making games and such, while Duck Hunt, ROB and Ice Climbers were one-offs for the NES. So to have an Excitebiker, or Balloon Fighter, or DK Jr. or... someone who has been completely irrelevant for decades.

But as entrenched as we are in third parties now, perhaps such a character is no longer desirable...

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Any character that NEVER had a good game, doesn't deserve to be in Smash.
Aren't you the guy who wants Arthur from Ghost 'n Goblins in Smash? Cause that game looks so brutally unfair I'd hesitate to even call it "good".
Then again, I'm a zoomer who knows little about it's sequels, it's legacy or it's general reception so it might just be an unpopular opinion of mine. Still, while those retro games might be a bit dated, if they're important enough to Nintendo's history (G&W and R.O.B especially) I don't mind them being there, even if their games of origin don't really hold up.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
How so?

Those games all came out post Atari 2600. And they were still coming out well into the NES era. And arcades were still a thing. I'm not sure what was impressive or high quality about games that were glorified calculators when there were real game systems in existence at the time.

Like, okay, the 2600 version of Donkey Kong sucks. But the G&W version is even worse.

Maybe they're impressive if you add the qualifier "for a handheld". But outside that, no, they weren't impressive compared to other video games that existed at the time.
By that logic every console and computer game before the 5th gen of consoles sucks because arcades existed and had better hardware.

Which is a weird point of view for a dude whose support list is just a bunch of NES characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom