• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I've said it before, but here's hoping we get a Direct soon. It's been ten months now, close to a year, since we've had a full-fledged Direct. Since then, we've had a single "mini" Direct that was shadow-dropped, the occasional update on games that have already been out (Pokemon Sword and Shield DLC, Smash DLC, etc.), an Animal Crossing Direct, and a Paper Mario game suddenly being announced on Twitter with information slowly being drip-fed to us since then.

I get that the Coronavirus is throwing things out of order, but that's been going on for the past four months or so - it doesn't explain the other six months (September 2019 to February 2020) where we basically got no news from Nintendo. I understood the information droughts in the Wii U era - third party support for the Wii U dropped insanely quickly, and Nintendo seemed to write the system off as a lost cause, moving on to Switch development and occasionally releasing a game that seemed to be hastily thrown together like Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash or Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival.

I understand that, given everything that's going on, giving specific release dates for anything is difficult because we have no idea if/when things are going to go back to normal, but you'd think they would have had something planned for E3 before it was cancelled, at the very least. It's just frustrating that we basically seem to be having a Wii U era drought when the Switch is doing extremely well.

Basically, I get why we haven't had updates, but the almost complete radio silence is frustrating.
This is pretty much how I feel about this.

Like, I get why things are probably tricky for them right now, but the complete radio silence on just...anything is a bit confusing, especially when others in the industry seem to have things under control now and are going ahead with things in their content pipelines. The irony of it all is that everyone is doing Directs this year to get news about their games out...except for the company that created the concept of Directs in the first place, lol.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For those of you looking for something to do while waiting for the next Nintendo Direct.

I hear there's this game...it's called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For those of you looking for something to do while waiting for the next Nintendo Direct.

Very funny, wise guy! I must admit, that is all too true, but that probably won't stop some people from wanting more news, since Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC is still in the works.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Imagine actually playing Smash Bros. We all know it's all about staring at that CSS, and if my character isn't on there within an hour, I'll throw a hissy fit til Sakurai and crew heed to my demands.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Okay, in all seriousness, here’s something you can do; go to 2-player Classic Mode and select two characters, but let the P2 character do the dirty work on the P1 character’s route.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

There's so many options and pieces of content in Ultimate to explore that I think it's the perfect game to play if you're in a lull of Nintendo content. It's kind of hard for me to imagine getting bored with it.

I'd recommend for people who are bored to really explore all of the game's casual options. Lots of wacky fun to be had there. Plus, if you really wanna kill time...try doing WoL challenge runs like Lightlockes and stuff. That'll easily take up some time.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

But how can I play Smash Ultimate, when I'm already playing Xenoblade?

life is just not fair sometimes :c

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman

Sonething I really recommend from experience as a good challenge: try to use the spirit rematch without any spirits. It really feels like a event mode (though some feel really unfair)

As for what's coming up, here's what I have to say: Remember that E3 is never considered a "Direct". The cancelled Mario presentation falls into this category. You guys are right about the next General being in September (though I think), but we'll get a showcase video from them next week. Plus, the Ping-Pong game of Sony and Microsoft is about to begin in full force, and it will go for a month and a half, starting with the Xbox showcase and ending on the rumored Lockhart reveal. Nintendo will be the one to strike first. [insert shameless plug for my theory of why it's happening on my signature]
But how can I play Smash Ultimate, when I'm already playing Xenoblade?

life is just not fair sometimes:c
I know, right? I try to mix between them, though Xenoblade always takes more of my time at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Some of you guys give up too early lol

That Hotchick person was full of it as usual, but there's still reliable rumors that we may get a Direct this month. For example, a guy who knew the date of the March 26 Direct.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...han-video-games.221071/page-230#post-38650771

One of my friend told me Nintendo is "planning something this month", I don't have a precised date (and I don't know if it'll be a direct or mini, I asked for more informations), I can't be 100% sure with the second round of covid19 incoming, but the probability is very high
Also from John Harker, another reputable source.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...han-video-games.221071/page-211#post-38575177

yea but last i heard its still not locked yet

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Plebians, why play that stinky Smash brothers game when you can instead play....
jump rope.jpg

The pinnacle of interactive media.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
There's so many options and pieces of content in Ultimate to explore that I think it's the perfect game to play if you're in a lull of Nintendo content. It's kind of hard for me to imagine getting bored with it.

I'd recommend for people who are bored to really explore all of the game's casual options. Lots of wacky fun to be had there. Plus, if you really wanna kill time...try doing WoL challenge runs like Lightlockes and stuff. That'll easily take up some time.
Since online is crap and I don't have lan to help, I usually play 5-character Squad Strike against CPUs. I recommend it if you like playing a lot of characters like I do :3

SKX31

Smash Master
Heh. I knew of the games, but even less about them.

Though at least you're soft-confirming that I got Jade right, then? XD
Yes. Jade's the main character of Beyond Good and Evil 1. The 2nd game is looking like it'll be a prequel set before she's born.

Plebians, why play that stinky Smash brothers game when you can instead play....
View attachment 277491

The pinnacle of interactive media.
I'm starting a petition to have it be called a utility too. Jump Rope Challenge is now classified as a utility in China, so why not?

Heoj

Smash Ace
So it seems hotchick has fallen, though it seems we still have that person with the buizel profile picture.
Heres hoping we get something in july

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Thanks.

Now then, let’s talk about something else. What kind of existing character do you want to see featured in the reveal trailer for your most wanted?
Master Chief - :ultsamus::ultsnake::ultfox::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultmario::ultbanjokazooie:

Crash - :ultmario::ultsonic::ultdk:

2B - :ultrob::ultmegaman::ultsamus:

Claire Redfield - :ultluigi::ultsimon::ultrichter:

Dante - :ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultken:

Steve - :ultisabelle::ultvillager:

Sora - :ultlink: :ultcloud::ulthero::ultduckhunt::ultganondorf:

Ryu Hayabusa - :ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultpit:
I've said it before, but here's hoping we get a Direct soon. It's been ten months now, close to a year, since we've had a full-fledged Direct. Since then, we've had a single "mini" Direct that was shadow-dropped, the occasional update on games that have already been out (Pokemon Sword and Shield DLC, Smash DLC, etc.), an Animal Crossing Direct, and a Paper Mario game suddenly being announced on Twitter with information slowly being drip-fed to us since then.

I get that the Coronavirus is throwing things out of order, but that's been going on for the past four months or so - it doesn't explain the other six months (September 2019 to February 2020) where we basically got no news from Nintendo. I understood the information droughts in the Wii U era - third party support for the Wii U dropped insanely quickly, and Nintendo seemed to write the system off as a lost cause, moving on to Switch development and occasionally releasing a game that seemed to be hastily thrown together like Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash or Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival.

I understand that, given everything that's going on, giving specific release dates for anything is difficult because we have no idea if/when things are going to go back to normal, but you'd think they would have had something planned for E3 before it was cancelled, at the very least. It's just frustrating that we basically seem to be having a Wii U era drought when the Switch is doing extremely well.

Basically, I get why we haven't had updates, but the almost complete radio silence is frustrating.
I really don’t think the pandemic is an excuse anymore when multiple companies have been able to put together digital productions. I have no idea what Nintenfo

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ah ****, here we go again.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Hint: flip the image

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I have news on when the next Nintendo Direct will be announced, along with hints towards what's in it. But first, you must figure out the meaning of this message:

please don't actually try to figure out the meaning of this message; it's from the Zodiac killer

Alternatively, Riddle Me This! What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree, and is very dangerous? The answer might not make sense now, but you'll be able to figure out what I'm referring to after the Direct airs.

This just seems like a distraction to draw people's attention away from the apparent fact (barring a sudden announcement of a mini-Direct in the next few hours) that she got this wrong.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that we are getting absolutely nothing this month in terms of news aside from Paper Mario.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I have news on when the next Nintendo Direct will be announced, along with hints towards what's in it. But first, you must figure out the meaning of this message:

please don't actually try to figure out the meaning of this message; it's from the Zodiac killer

Alternatively, Riddle Me This! What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree, and is very dangerous? It might not make sense now, but you'll be able to figure out what I'm referring to after the Direct airs.

This just seems like a distraction to draw people's attention away from the apparent fact (barring a sudden announcement of a mini-Direct in the next few hours) that she got this wrong.
That is a whole load of nonsense! I'm the only one who has real legit information here. But I'll only tell you if you can solve. . . this!

Edit: God damn it Boards won't load the image unless you quote. It's a picture of Great Bay Temple from Majora's Mask.

I think that we are getting absolutely nothing this month in terms of news aside from Paper Mario.
Guess that means we'll get something this month after all, considering how accurate your predictions have been thus far :4pacman:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbf tho we are due for a direct. There’s nothing lined up for the latter half of this year

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm telling ya, Nintendo ninjas caught wind of the leak. So now any announcement we were supposed to get today has been postponed til tomorrow!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Alternatively, Riddle Me This! What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree, and is very dangerous? The answer might not make sense now, but you'll be able to figure out what I'm referring to after the Direct airs.

Inb4 a Smash fan solves the Zodiac killings in a desperate search for leaks.

Inb4 also someone ties this to Geno, Geno's the Zodiac killer you heard it here first

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm telling ya, Nintendo ninjas caught wind of the leak. So now any announcement we were supposed to get today has been postponed til tomorrow!
In all seriousness, they'd probably want to avoid rescheduling if possible. That could potentially require them to go back and quickly edit the dates and times for anything that was releasing the same day or the following day.

Even if the leak was real, they'd probably go through with the Direct anyway.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
listing all the ultimate newcomers so far for each generation of gaming
1980s: :ulthero3: :ultpiranha::ultsimon::ultridley::ultdaisy::ultken:
1990s: :ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ulthero4::ult_terry:
2000s: :ulthero2::ultdarksamus:
2010s: :ulthero::ultincineroar::ultminmin:ultjoker::ultchrom::ultinkling::ultbyleth::ultisabelle:
its seems we need more 2000s characters to balance it out
MIDNA COMFIRMED GUYS!!!!:drflip:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom