• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
The amount of people generalizing the Smash community or giving up faith on the community is kind of astounding to me. Not that was has transpired isn't awful, but it involved, what, a handful of people out of god knows how many Smash fans?
The Smash community being whiny isn't anything new to be fair.

And they're not *Wrong* is the thing. This community has always come to blows with the greater FGC at large over the dumbest ****.

Of course, it's not the entire community, it's almost never an 'entire' community that's to blame, but there's a reason that the FGC doesn't like us, and they kinda have every right to be blunt.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As much as the FGC hates the Smash community, I'm convinced there's no one that hates the Smash community as much as the Smash community.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
There was a super small wants poll just for the 5chan speculation thread.
They did it quick and secretly to avoid outsiders so not many votes there but I'll just throw the result here for anyone who's interested,

http://whitecats.dip.jp/up/download/1593942304/attach/1593942304.zip
Password: DLC (It's a pdf file)

Total of 479 valid votes

Wanted characters got more than 10 votes
1. Rex (& Pyra) - 43 votes
2. Arle - 30 Votes
3. Crash - 21 Votes
3. Reimu - 21 Votes
3. Hunter - 21 Votes
6. Ryu Hayabusa - 18 votes
7. Phoenix Wright - 13 votes
8. Dante - 12 votes
8. Sora - 12 votes
8. Cinderace - 12 votes
11. Bandana Waddle Dee - 10 votes
11. Geno - 10 votes
11. Sol Badguy - 10 votes

Wanted franchises got more than 10 votes
1. Xenoblade - 46 votes
2. Puyo Puyo - 31 votes
3. Monster Hunter - 26 votes
3. Pokemon - 26 votes
5. Super Mario - 23 votes
6. Crash Bandicoot - 21 votes
6. Touhou Project - 21 votes
8. Kirby - 19 votes
9. Ninja Gaiden - 18 votes
10. Ace Attorney - 13 votes
10. Tales of - 13 votes
12. Devil May Cry - 12 votes
12. Kingdom Hearts - 12 votes
14. Guilty Gear - 10 votes

Other Notables compare to the west
15. Steve - 7 votes
16. Lloyd - 6 votes
18. Master Chief - 5 votes (they miscalculated him in the pdf)
34. Waluigi - 2 votes
34. Rayman - 2 votes
34. Dovahkiin - 2 votes
34. 2B - 2 votes
66. Dr. Eggman - 1 vote
66. Lara Croft - 1 vote
66. Layton - 1 vote
--. Doomguy - 0 vote
--. Scorpion- 0 vote

Never seen them in west polls but I see their names here and there among Japanese communities
25. Ryza - 3 votes
34. Estelle - 2 votes
34. Shiren - 2 votes
34. Gran & Djeeta - 2 votes
34. Gespenst - 2 votes
34. Cybuster - 2 votes
34. Pawapuro-kun - 2 votes

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Wait.

Is this Estelle from Tales of Vesperia?

They voted her and not Yuri? The guy who was banned from popularity polls cause he won every one?
Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky.
Yuri got only 2 votes. Adol got 4 votes btw.

Probably most people here never heard of Gespenst and Cybuster, they are mecha originated from Super Robot Wars. Technically, they aren't anime characters.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The amount of people generalizing the Smash community or giving up faith on the community is kind of astounding to me. Not that was has transpired isn't awful, but it involved, what, a handful of people out of god knows how many Smash fans?
The problem is that those handful of people comprise some of the top players that the rest of the Smash community looks up to/puts on a pedestal.

When the supposed figureheads of a community turn out to be doing awful things in the background, people are going to look at those figureheads as representing the community as a whole, which isn’t always warranted, but still leads people to believe that way.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky.
Yuri got only 2 votes. Adol got 4 votes btw.

Probably most people here never heard of Gespenst and Cybuster, they are mecha originated from Super Robot Wars. Technically, they aren't from anime.
Ah I see.

Well, it stands to reason that Rex and Pyra are far and away the most wanted characters in that poll. I know the poll is relatively small, but it just goes to show that they're a popular request everywhere.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Low key a Super Robot Wars character or other mecha would be sick as hell in Smash. I guess there's Custom Robo, or maybe the Vic Viper...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Low key a Super Robot Wars character or other mecha would be sick as hell in Smash. I guess there's Custom Robo, or maybe the Vic Viper...
:ultbowserjr:: Do I count, Papa?

:ultbowser:: Sure ya do, son. Just one question.

:ultbowserjr:: What, Papa?

:ultbowser:: What's a mecha?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ah I see.

Well, it stands to reason that Rex and Pyra are far and away the most wanted characters in that poll. I know the poll is relatively small, but it just goes to show that they're a popular request everywhere.
There's a really easy joke I can make here considering the reason 5chan exists and XB2, so I wouldn't cheer just yet

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
this is why we need ray mk III, he'd be the closest thing in smash to a gundam

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking in terms of 3rd parties, what companies would you say Nintendo is close with? And on the flip-side, what ones do you think they're unlikely to partner with?

On the likely side, Nintendo made two Warriors games with Koei Tecmo and partnered a lot with Ubisoft.
On the unlikely side, EA never forgave Nintendo for cutting them out of WiiU online.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Thinking in terms of 3rd parties, what companies would you say Nintendo is close with? And on the flip-side, what ones do you think they're unlikely to partner with?

On the likely side, Nintendo made two Warriors games with Koei Tecmo and partnered a lot with Ubisoft.
On the unlikely side, EA never forgave Nintendo for cutting them out of WiiU online.
On the likely side, Nintendo has allowed plenty of games featuring Disney (most recent example being Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory) to be on their consoles.
On the unlikely side, ditto EA.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Not to mention if memory serves, EA actually bad mouthed Nintendo a few times during the Wii U era, so I can't say that they've had positive relations in the past decade now, lol.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not to mention if memory serves, EA actually bad mouthed Nintendo a few times during the Wii U era, so I can't say that they've had positive relations in the past decade now, lol.
Strange to think that Mario, Luigi, Peach and SNES Little Mac were once guests in EA Sports games.

SKX31

Smash Master

Close to:

* Koei Tecmo
* Ubisoft
* Tencent (the Chinese Switch, the coming wave of ports from Tencent's NeXT Studios and Pokemon Unite)
* Microsoft (Not just B-K in Smash and Minecraft, but also Ori and Cuphead)
* Marvelous (Story of Seasons is continuing to be a Nintendo mainstay).

Not close to:

* EA (Their recent pledge to port 7 games to the Switch might've be too late for FP2's window.)
* 2K (Likewise, the BioShock Switch ports might've been too late. Beyond that, the two haven't been interracting much until recently.)
* Sony (Obvious)

...Struggling to come up with any more really.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Close to:

* Koei Tecmo
* Ubisoft
* Tencent (the Chinese Switch, the coming wave of ports from Tencent's NeXT Studios and Pokemon Unite)
* Microsoft (Not just B-K in Smash and Minecraft, but also Ori and Cuphead)
* Marvelous (Story of Seasons is continuing to be a Nintendo mainstay).

Not close to:

* EA (Their recent pledge to port 7 games to the Switch might've be too late for FP2's window.)
* 2K (Likewise, the BioShock Switch ports might've been too late. Beyond that, the two haven't been interracting much until recently.)
* Sony (Obvious)

...Struggling to come up with any more really.
I think I would add Level-5 and Falcom to the "close" list. Maybe Activision Blizzard and Arcsys, though these 2 seem to be relatively recent partnerships.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Among the ones that don't have playable representation, I'd say they have pretty close connections to Activision/Blizzard, Koei-Tecmo, Ubisoft, and Level 5. I'm probably forgetting a few.

TriggerX

Smash Ace

Probably any company they’ve been willing to lend their Ips to for starters.
-Square Enix
-Ubisoft
-Disney
-Platinum( I could be wrong but isn’t dragon lost created by them?)
-Tecno Koei

Not sure if there are more

SharkLord

Smash Hero

The obvious cooperator would be Koei-Tecmo, given how many games they've produced for Nintendo. Ubisoft, too; They've had crossovers like Starlink and Mario+Rabbids, and they basically kept the Wii alive for the entire 8th generation with Just Dance games. Ubisoft seems pretty likely at this point.
I'd say Cygames as well. They developed Dragalia Lost, after all. That game did pretty well, and I could see a Dragalia/Granblue fighter in Smash happening.

MooMew64

I go back and forth on Rayman. Like, I could see it, but we've already gotten Ubisoft costumes for Miis and you'd think they'd wait for the Ubisoft character if one was in the pipeline.

On another note, I think Crash is looking pretty good right now, tbh.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I go back and forth on Rayman. Like, I could see it, but we've already gotten Ubisoft costumes for Miis and you'd think they'd wait for the Ubisoft character if one was in the pipeline.

Just depends on whether or not the Mii costumes for the first pass can be counted toward the second. Definitely not as concerning as Namco and Bethesda getting costumes, but still something to consider when going forward with Rayman.

As for Crash, I don't know. Ever since Ultimate was first announced, the needle hasn't really moved for Crash. Nothing has seemingly hurt his chances, but there's not much that points to him being more likely either.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm trying to remember what studios that didn't care much about the Wii or WiiU but jumped all in the Switch there are.

CD Projeckt Red bringing over the Witcher 3 comes to mind as does 2K bringing over all of Borderlands, all of Bioshock and one specific part of X-Com.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just depends on whether or not the Mii costumes for the first pass can be counted toward the second. Definitely not as concerning as Namco and Bethesda getting costumes, but still something to consider when going forward with Rayman.

As for Crash, I don't know. Ever since Ultimate was first announced, the needle hasn't really moved for Crash. Nothing has seemingly hurt his chances, but there's not much that points to him being more likely either.
There's also the fact that the Miis danced around the two main characters of Ubi's two main franchises. Rabbids started as a spin-off that grew into it's own thing, and even though Altair is the first protagonist, the face of the series is Ezio. I'm leaning towards Rayman, but I could see Ezio happening too.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice

I've said this before, but it is worth noting that back in smash 4, we got Megaman costumes released in the game before Ryu was even announced, even though in theory they should have saved them for when the Capcom rep was released. How Nintendo releases mii costumes is weird, especially considering the last 2 DLC mii costumes had very little to do with the characters they were released with. It might be a deathblow for Rayman, it might not. Honestly who knows with Nintendo.

Last edited:

MooMew64

I've said this before, but it is worth noting that back in smash 4, we got Megaman costumes released in the game before Ryu was even announced, even though in theory they should have saved them for when the Capcom rep was released. How Nintendo releases mii costumes is weird, especially considering the last 2 DLC mii costumes had very little to do with the characters they were released with. It might be a deathblow for Rayman, it might not. Honestly who knows with Nintendo.
An excellent point.

Honestly, outside of hunches or guesses, I'm not sure we can really make too many educated guesses as to what's coming until we see the next fighter. There's just too many unknowns at this point, IMO.

I do think Pokemon is pretty doggone likely, Crash just fits in well with timing as a crowd pleaser, and Dante has a lot of little things that make me raise an eyebrow. Other than that, though? I got no idea where this DLC is going; I certainly would've never guessed Min Min was gonna be our opener, and I have a feeling this pass is gonna throw a lot of our expectations for a loop.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There's been 1 consistent thing about every DLC character within the Fighter Passes, and it's the use of a cinematic Final Smash. Whether if it's to make the DLC Fighters have more pizazz to them or it's less difficult to develop than most other Final Smashes, it's pretty much the only pattern within DLC speculation so far that has remained unchanged (unless you want to include Piranha Plant).

People be like Well All Patterns Are Meant To Be Broken, but that isn't going to be the point right now. What sort of cinematic Final Smash would you want/expect to see from a character if they were to be included to Smash?
Bandana Dee - Star Allies Sparkler. The enemy is transported to the middle of space, as seen in the cutscene in Star Allies. Bandana Dee fires a lazer from the Sparkler, with all the dream friends and many generic enemies behind him.

Grovyle - Monster House. Dusknoir appears from a time rift and grabs directly in front of Grovyle. He grabs the captured fighter and brings them to the destroyed future. Dusknoir and a horde of Saybleye repeatedly hit the opponent, finishing off with a horrifying roar as the silhouette of Primal Dialga appears in the distance.

Maxwell -
maxwell.png

...pretty much what it says on the tin.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There's been 1 consistent thing about every DLC character within the Fighter Passes, and it's the use of a cinematic Final Smash. Whether if it's to make the DLC Fighters have more pizazz to them or it's less difficult to develop than most other Final Smashes, it's pretty much the only pattern within DLC speculation so far that has remained unchanged (unless you want to include Piranha Plant).

People be like Well All Patterns Are Meant To Be Broken, but that isn't going to be the point right now. What sort of cinematic Final Smash would you want/expect to see from a character if they were to be included to Smash?
Isaac:
This summon except redone with a high-poly model. And a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

On the likely side, Activision seems to like the Switch and has collaborated with Nintendo in the past using Skylanders. It also seems that, with the 7 unknown EA games coming to Switch, EA and Nintendo are finally burying the hatchet.

On the unlikely side, Sony seems about as much of a longshot as ever. Sony is finally dipping its toes into collaborating with Nintendo through the likes of crossplay and making MLB The Show multiplat, but they're still pretty lukewarm about the whole thing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regarding Crash. He's one of those picks I can see Nintendo choosing not just for his popularity and demand but for his legacy and the icon he is given how big he was in the 90s with Mario and Sonic. This is the biggest gaming crossover in history, doesn't seem like something Nintendo would like to pass up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On the likely side, Activision seems to like the Switch and has collaborated with Nintendo in the past using Skylanders. It also seems that, with the 7 unknown EA games coming to Switch, EA and Nintendo are finally burying the hatchet.

On the unlikely side, Sony seems about as much of a longshot as ever. Sony is finally dipping its toes into collaborating with Nintendo through the likes of crossplay and making MLB The Show multiplat, but they're still pretty lukewarm about the whole thing.
Sony is the most resistant to collaboration overall. Seems to be because they're on top of the food chain right now and they don't wanna share that pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom