• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Is that you, L from Xenoblade X?!
Sorry, could someone get our party started?

People here keep bringing this up as a "don't get too excited" warning for those who want Assist Trophy/Spirit promotions... but even if Spring Man is the only Assist Trophy promotion this time around, that still doesn't change that, from that point on, the floodgates will have been opened. For any future Smash game that still features them, Assist Trophies will no longer be a straight-up death sentence that forbids second chances after the base game (or they were just never death sentences to begin with, depending on how the developers feel)... and I for one think that's worth at least a little bit of excitement.
Agreed. But I also know that every Smash reveal going forward is going to be full of Waluigi and Isaac predictions....and ultimately salt

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
New famitsu column translations
Here's the big takeaways:
  • About 75% of the Smash team prefers working at home for relatively common reasons: less time commuting, more to take care of family, etc.
  • Communication seems to be the biggest issue due to internet speeds and the difficulty of ensuring no one's family hears confidential info.
  • For staff that don't have proper set-ups to conduct work at home, Sakurai and Namco Bandai are reimbursing them for any purchases to get this set-up.
EDIT: Got a detail wrong speed reading, it's actually Sora Ltd. that's reimbursing the employees. Either way, Sakurai's a pretty great guy.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
  • Communication seems to be the biggest issue due to internet speeds and the difficulty of ensuring no one's family hears confidential info.
Now I'm imagining one of the DLC characters getting leaked because one of the developers' kids heard a name offhand, then telling all their friends about it, then one of the friends' parents who happens to be a Smash fan overhears it, and then going onto a message board and saying *insert character here* is one of the DLC fighters, and unironically using the explanation "my kid overheard it from another kid whose parent works for Nintendo".

SKX31

Smash Master
According to this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

The new Pokémon project probably isn't Let's Go at all. iirc the Daniel Ahmad guy is an insider, and he liked the person's quote-retweet too.

Of course, I guess Let's Go could still be a thing they're working on too. Just probably not the "big project."
Yeah Ahmad's an insider. The firm he works at - Niko Partners - sells their data on the Asian gaming market (specifically China) to companies such as Nintendo, Square-Enix, SEGA etc. (The Clients section at the bottom of their page). Nintendo uses this data for marketing, strategies etc.

If Zhuge's on the money, then it is the Tencent mobile game. He talked about it last July when Tencent and TPC first announced the collab. If it a Pokemon MOBA it would be fully expected from Tencent - they not only own Riot (LoL) but also have their own mobile LoL already (which wasn't successful at all in the West, but massive in China).

Also, this tweet is worth highlighting:

Here's the big takeaways:
  • About 75% of the Smash team prefers working at home for relatively common reasons: less time commuting, more to take care of family, etc.
  • For staff that don't have proper set-ups to conduct work at home, Sakurai and Namco Bandai are reimbursing them for any purchases to get this set-up.
Glad to hear they're doing their best to allieviate the issues. Those small things can add up.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Something extra:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Now I'm imagining one of the DLC characters getting leaked because one of the developers' kids heard a name offhand, then telling all their friends about it, then one of the friends' parents who happens to be a Smash fan overhears it, and then going onto a message board and saying *insert character here* is one of the DLC fighters, and unironically using the explanation "my kid overheard it from another kid whose parent works for Nintendo".
"Trust me, my uncle works for Nintendo"

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
People here keep bringing this up as a "don't get too excited" warning for those who want Assist Trophy/Spirit promotions... but even if Spring Man is the only Assist Trophy promotion this time around, that still doesn't change that, from that point on, the floodgates will have been opened. For any future Smash game that still features them, Assist Trophies will no longer be a straight-up death sentence that forbids second chances after the base game (or they were just never death sentences to begin with, depending on how the developers feel)... and I for one think that's worth at least a little bit of excitement.
IDK, I think it still would be unless we dip into a 2nd round of DLC again. The argument of why were they put in as an AT at all if they were planned to be playable still exists before we get to that not matter where it is. The ATs deconfirm argument didn't start for no reason.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Imagine if they pulled a "Guess the Capcom character!" stunt.

All the various Capcom fanbases would be at eachothers' throats as I'm just sitting in the sidelines watching with popcorn, happy that I got Megaman in Smash 4.
I got my main in Mega Man as well. And I'd be happy with nearly any more Capcom character because they've got some of the coolest characters in the industry. But I'd shill for some more than others, that's for sure.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone outright dislike Phoenix Wright, so he might make people the happiest.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
53F86DB0-1D57-47DE-B552-F8FDE6E0AFE3.jpeg

The discussion a while back about the extra 4 slots after FP2, got me thinking about if they’ll use it & what the game could look like when it’s finished. I excluded the Arms character, obviously.

Crash - One of the two biggest game characters not in Smash yet. He holds a significant place in gaming history for being the original PlayStation’s icon, rivaling Mario & Sonic at the time. He’s recently made a comeback with the remasters of his first 4 games, all of which have been super popular.

2B - NieR: Automata is one of this gen’s most beloved games; the sequel to an obscure 360/PS3 game that managed to get amazing reviews & has sold 4.5 million copies. One of Sakurai’s goals is to show the world how great Japanese games are & 2B would be a great way to do that.

Cinderace - Everyone is expecting a Sword/Shield Pokemon; despite a mixed reaction from hardcore fans, the game has sold very well & is on track to become one of the biggest in series history. Cinderace is the Pokemon being pushed in the anime & I just think he’d be fun in Smash.

Minecraft Steve - Minecraft is the highest selling game of all-time, not sure if there’s much reason needed beyond that. It’s been one of the most influential games of the last decade, introducing many people to the world of gaming. It’s impact is only rivaled by the likes of Mario & Pokemon.

Rex & Pyra - Before he got Mii Costumed, Rex was one of the biggest requests in the community; Sakurai even wanted to include him in. With Arms getting a chance to join Smash, then I don’t think it’s impossible for Rex to join too. Nintendo also seems to want to make Xenoblade one of their biggest franchises too, this would certainly help that.

The Champions - Breath of the Wild is one of the most celebrated games of the past decade, maybe of all-time. The fans want another Zelda character. Nintendo will want to promote Breath of the Wild’s sequel. Sure, Ultimate’s Link is from BOTW but I don’t think anyone would be mad at a character specifically from it; or maybe a new character from BOTW2. I imagine the Champions could be like Pokemon Trainer or perhaps Captain Commando from Marvel vs Capcom.

Claire Redfield - Resident Evil is the biggest Japanese series not in Smash yet (it’s the 6th biggest overall). It’s the grandfather of the horror genre. RE is the only horror genre to stand the test of time; while there’s been other popular horror series, they’ve all died while RE keeps reinventing itself to scare new generations. It’s crazy that this series is possibly Spirited Away, but I’m hoping that if we get 4 more characters then RE can get another shot. With Claire, they wouldn’t even have to change the RE spirits already in the game.

Sora - One of the most requested characters currently. The Kingdom Hearts has been incredibly popular ever since it’s debut in 2002. Kingdom Hearst’s weird blend of Eastern & Western cultures would be a perfect fit for gaming’s ultimate crossover. It seems like Disney might be a roadblock in getting Sora into Smash, but Smash has constantly given us characters that were thought to be impossible; anything is possible with Smash.

Master Chief - Alongside Crash, he’s the most iconic game character not in Smash yet. Halo is an incredibly important series to the history of gaming; it put Xbox on the map, it’s one of the highest selling franchises ever & it’s what made the FPS genre/online gaming as popular amongst the masses as it is today. Yes, he’s “Mr Xbox” but Microsoft is already apart of Smash & Sakurai said that Ultimate is a “celebration of gaming”, not just Nintendo. Master Chief is perhaps THE character to prove that point.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I get being tired of waiting, but for the most part, I'm chillin'. Still, I hope for other people, the news gets shown off as soon as possible. We're about halfway through the month, so we'll see how it plays out. The character themselves doesn't worry that much anymore, so long as the moveset is neat. And I think ARMS' gimmick should be pretty fun in Smash's context.

Doing a guessing game with Capcom is one thing.

Doing it with Square Enix would probably result in this entire website being locked down and other Smash forums becoming (bigger) warzones. Nobody would be safe.
I'mma throw it out now then, Lara Croft gang. Crono would be dope too.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean, doing the whole "this next character is from this series/company" thing might be the way to really breathe in some life in the speculation scene. This place has felt like a bore fest for so long and having something like "which SE/Capcom/Namco character will it be" is a sure fire way to breathe life in this place. Much more so than it did with ARMS seeing as people (myself included) had little interest of doing that.

That being said, this might be a Nintendo thing and maybe third-parties won't want to do that. If there's another 1st party or two, maybe we'll get it again.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, doing the whole "this next character is from this series/company" thing might be the way to really breathe in some life in the speculation scene. This place has felt like a bore fest for so long and having something like "which SE/Capcom/Namco character will it be" is a sure fire way to breathe life in this place. Much more so than it did with ARMS seeing as people (myself included) had little interest of doing that.

That being said, this might be a Nintendo thing and maybe third-parties won't want to do that. If there's another 1st party or two, maybe we'll get it again.
I would just much rather the knowledge that its a "SE/Capcom/Namco character" come from a leak or SNK style slip up than an official announcement.

When Nintendo speaks, I want a form of closure.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, doing the whole "this next character is from this series/company" thing might be the way to really breathe in some life in the speculation scene. This place has felt like a bore fest for so long and having something like "which SE/Capcom/Namco character will it be" is a sure fire way to breathe life in this place.
Not really. It's enough information to narrow down the choices quite a lot without being sure who it is so we just hyper-focus on a few options.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I would actually be alright with this considering I’m more so looking forward to first parties rather than third parties. Just come out and announce who the third parties are when you’re ready to reveal them, but have a game of “Guess Who from franchise/series X” for first parties. Though if we’re being honest, some first party series that are already represented have clear characters for who would be next...

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

I'd rather do what we're doing now over the "Let's speculate about characters because one leak had it and 45 others piled on" which gives people the idea that randoms like Reimu and KOS MOS are front runners when it's just a crap ton of fake leaks going for them. Same deal goes for Doom Guy and Hayabusa but those two have more in their favor.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
With ARMS, it's an actual franchise with under 10 options(looking at it, there's maybe about 7 that seem to be in a good position). We have some clarity and something to chew on. And even then, it lasted too long. The trailer would've been nice a while ago, with how they played later on. It was announced early to gather interest in ARMS.

Companies can vary, but a lot have a much bigger list of characters to look at. And we have to look at the trends of the time too, along with any current situations that come up(like CERO making Mai impossible).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ehh, I just think it would be interesting if it was something as broad as a company rather than a franchise. For Namco, obviously you would have Lloyd, Heihachi, Dark Souls character and then for something like SE, you have Sora, 2B, Geno, Crono, & Sephiroth as contenders. That's not even taking in to account the amount of contenders there would be for Capcom (i.e. Phoenix, Dante, MH, another SF character, etc).

Of course, having a reveal outright is also welcome to. Hopefully we get that Fighter 7 reveal sooner rather than later.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
yes

do that

that is the final piece i need to finish my magnum opus.....THE AMINGO SUPPORT THREAD.
It's done. There's probably a bit more fighting game flair I could have put in so he could be more consistant with Ryu, Ken, and Terry, but I don't own a copy of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and there isn't a visual move list for the guy so I don't really know what his buttons are. A few of his special moves have the same command inputs so I didn't include them either. So yeah, improvements can be made, but not by me. Here's the end result:

Like the other fighting game characters, Amingo has trouble getting a hit in, but when he does, he blows you up with a cool combo. Unlike the other fighting game characters however, his combos are much easier in exchange for each individual hit doing less damage. If the player presses down and jumps (a simple down up motion with tap jump on will work as well), Amingo will super jump. This is the highest jump and fastest in the game, and allows Amingo to surprise opponents in the air, and do big aerial combos even on stages without the aid of platforms. Amingo also has a super meter that fills up when dealing damage to opponents, when it’s full, Amingo can use command inputs to do super moves. Like all of the fighting game characters, Amingo will always face his opponent.
Neutral attack
A short ranged punch in which Amingo’s arm turns into a spike ball followed by a clap attack if the player presses the button again. Both attacks can be canceled into Amingo’s Down Smash.
Forward tilt
Amingo’s arm flowers as he does a corkscrew punch. This is a long range, multi-hit attack that is incredibly difficult to punish if spaced correctly.
Up tilt
An uppercut.
Down tilt
A short ranged kick in which Amingo’s foot turns into a spike ball. If the move hits and the attack button is pressed again, Amingo’s foot turns into a plant mouth that does a bite attack. Otherwise, it can be canceled into Amingo’s Down Smash.
Dash attack
A shoulder tackle.
Forward smash
Amingo thrusts his arms into the ground. They come up as a carnivorous plant that chomps, goes underground, then comes back up and chomps again. Both hits will happen when Amingo uses this attack, so it is quite laggy if it misses, but it is Amingo’s most powerful K.O. move.
Up smash
Amingo grows spikes on his back as he flips over and thrusts himself upward. This is Amingo’s best K.O. move as it is the fastest.
Down smash
Amingo plants his feet in the ground, and roots come out right in front of him. This attack is one of if not the fastest Down Smash attacks, but has fixed knockback. Amingo can cancel this attack with a super jump if it hits, allowing him to combo off of it.
Neutral aerial
Amingo’s body squashes, and grows spikes around its midsection as he spins around. This is a multihit attack.
Forward aerial
Amingo’s hands turn into spiked fruit as he raises them above his head. He then swings them down. This attack either combos or spikes depending on how you hit with it.
Back aerial
Amingo’s hands turn into spiked fruit, and he swings them behind him. This attack has two hits to it.
Up aerial
An uppercut.
Down aerial
Amingo’s foot turns into a drill like thing, doing multiple hits. This is Amingo’s go to poke in the air, and it is safe on shield when spaced properly.
Grab
Amingo’s leg turns into a vine and grabs the opponent. A long ranged grab, but not a disjointed or particularly quick one.
Pummel
Squeezes the opponent with the vine.
Forward throw
Amingo punches the opponent three times. The third hit send the opponent flying.
Back throw
The vine shoots the opponent behind Amingo like a spring.
Up throw
The vine shoots the opponent upward like a spring.
Down throw
Amingo jumps up and does a huge haymaker on the opponent’s heard. The opponent flies straight up after bouncing on the ground, allowing for combos.
Floor attack (front)
Amingo’s foot turns into a spike ball as he swings his legs around.
Floor attack (back)
Floor attack (trip)
Edge attack
Amingo does a straight punch before he gets up.
Neutral special
Assist
Amingo calls in either Ruby Heart or SonSon to assist him. Tapping the button calls in SonSon, holding the button calls in Ruby Heart.
  • SonSon blows a kiss that turns into three monkeys. These monkeys travel forward slowly.
  • Ruby Heart throws an anchor upward. If the anchor hits it will drag the opponent back into Ruby Heart’s cannon, which is then fired.
Side special
Cactus Dash
Amingo transforms into an onion, and dashes forward a short distance. This attack mostly functions as a combo ender.
Up special
Cactus Bounce
A carnivorous plant appears around Amingo, and spits him out forwards in an upward arc. When Amingo lands, another carnivorous plant will catch him in its mouth, damaging nearby opponents before disappearing. Amingo grows spikes as he flies, creating somewhat of a protective hitbox. This is a pretty poor recovery move, as it doesn’t go all that high, and only goes a modest way forward. It is safe on shield when used on the ground, however, and can be used to pressure opponents.
Down special
Child of the Earth
Plants a seed that quickly grows into a small cactus child. The cactus child will happily hop forward, and will do a punch attack if an opponent gets close. There can be two cactus children out at once, and if a cactus child gets hit by any attack it will be stunned for a bit, then die. If the button is held while planting the seed, Amingo will water it. Watered cactus children will instead grab an opponent, which cannot be blocked. Cactus children will jump off of ledges. Oftentimes to their death. In the air, Amingo will simply drop the seed straight down.
Super Move 1
Law of Vegetation (:GCD::GCDL::GCL:, :GCA:+:GCB:)
Amingo puts his arm into the ground, and it comes back up as a bulb with a mouth that will travel forward slowly. If it reaches an opponent, it will grab them, and stick them into Amingo’s head. Amingo will then dance around with some maracas before launching them straight up out of his head. This is a powerful K.O. move.
Super Move 2
Sun’s Blessing (:GCD::GCDR::GCR:, :GCA:+:GCB:)
Amingo disappears, and large vines erupt from the ground. The hitbox is decently tall, and the attack is a deals a ton of damage if it hits. Once hit, it is difficult to escape from this multi-hit attack.
Final Smash
Cross-Over Combination
Amingo disappears, and huge vines erupt from the ground. Any opponent that gets hit with it will be dropped in a cutscene where SonSon punches them to the ground while in her super form, and breathes fire on them. Ruby Heart follows up by slamming a treasure chest in front of the opponent that opens, releasing a huge swarm of ghosts that repeatedly damage the opponents before ending the cinematic.
No fluff stuff this time. My creativity has been spent for the day.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Almost happened with Banjo & Kazooie--Grant mentioned how he was working on the piece in his office and his son was able to guess what he was working on being a fan of Smash, and luckily they didn't tell anybody. I was surprised that didn't happen more often, but now that we're seeing a bit behind the curtain, it's far more clear that's the benefit of working in an office when having sensitive information. Makes Sakurai's original hesitancy of working with people long distance that much more clearer why, and why I'm even more thankful he took those risks with Grant, and is now doing his best to help those now working from home. Must be a struggle, which is why I'm content however long it takes (though quietly I'm screaming inside for an announcement).

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It feels like we've weighed basically every viable option from Capcom, Namco, and Square, so it really wouldn't add much new to say in terms of speculation. At least ARMS was a curveball that had largely gone undiscussed, so the first few weeks gave us something to chew on. If Nintendo were to announce the next fighter was from one of those three companies, it would be pretty easy to predict how things would go just based on past precedent:
  • Capcom would produce the most diverse discussion, but 75% of it would be bickering between Dante and Phoenix Wright. Amaterasu and Monster Hunter would be occasionally brought up, but they'd be seen as Darkhorses at best. There may be some attempts to bring RE back from the dead (:4pacman:) but they likely wouldn't go anywhere.
  • Namco would be like Capcom, but more extreme. Expect 3 months of fighting over Lloyd vs. Heihachi. KOSMOS and other options from Tales and Tekken would have a dedicated fanbase but they'd largely be a side-act to the Great Lloyd-Heihachi War.
  • If I can be honest, knowing there's another Square character coming but not knowing exactly is a borderline worst case scenario. People would move quickly into the Geno, Sora, 2B, and Lara Croft camps on day 1 and stay there while trying to discredit the other candidates. Expect hundreds of posts about how Sora's not technically a Square character and how impossible negotiating with Disney is, how Geno's little more than the product of an echo chamber that no one really cares about, how 2B is deconfirmed because Sakurai first met Yoko Taro after FP2 was finalized, etc.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Capcom would produce the most diverse discussion, but 75% of it would be bickering between Dante and Phoenix Wright. Amaterasu and Monster Hunter would be occasionally brought up, but they'd be seen as Darkhorses at best. There may be some attempts to bring RE back from the dead (:4pacman:) but they likely wouldn't go anywhere.
It's all pointless, everyone knows Amingo wins in the end anyway. :4wario2:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
75% of it would be bickering between Dante and Phoenix Wright. Amaterasu and Monster Hunter would be occasionally brought up, but they'd be seen as Darkhorses at best.
Disagree 149%.
Phoenix Wright is more niche among the general public. Monster Hunter is AT LEAST 10 times more likely. Phoenix Wright is one of those characters like Isaac, Takamaru, and Geno where his popularity among the core crowd is bigger than his popularity in general.
Had we been told in 2017 that FP2 was a Square Enix character (assuming no leaks), everyone would have jumped to Geno instead of the far more popular Erdrick (or Hero now, I guess).
Leon, Dante, and Monster Hunter are Capcom's premier characters. And since we had a Resident Evil Spirit Event, Leon seems unlikely.
For the record, I think Geno is coming, but remember that his supporters have been vocal since Brawl.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pokemon is one of the only franchises where a "Guess who it is?" reveal would work out fairly well, and that's only because we pretty much do that anyway during the base game of every Smash. We all know it's getting a character in each game's base roster; we just don't know who that Pokemon is.

It's also not tied down by mascots or main characters, so that gives people a little more freedom to speculate compared to a majority of the franchises we discuss.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I don't see any Monster Hunter rep mainly because it already has substantial content and the music is in the Other section.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's also not tied down by mascots or main characters, so that gives people a little more freedom to speculate compared to a majority of the franchises we discuss.
*Look at how all of the Pokémon in the rosters were or are Mascots once or another. Or had a big part in the Anime.*

I mean. Yeah, when you have 900+ candidate, that can be cool, but it's like a Presidential election where there 2 real contender and the rest fight to get that remaining 1 or 2%.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I've ever heard anyone outright dislike Phoenix Wright, so he might make people the happiest.
I like Phoenix Wright, but I just don't see him at all in a fighting game. There's too little from his franchise to make movesets, so most of it would have to be invented. And the Capcom vs Marvel footage I've seen is downright wacky, in the bad sense, as in low quality just patched up together.

Amaterasu on the other end would fit majestically.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Look at how all of the Pokémon in the rosters were or are Mascots once or another.
Nah they just picked a random gen 4 Pokemon that just happened to be one TPC was heavily pushing :4pacman:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
This place has felt like a bore fest for so long and having something like "which SE/Capcom/Namco character will it be" is a sure fire way to breathe life in this place.
I'm imagining them doing this and then the company ends up being Falcom or something and 90% of all Smash fans just go "who?"
...and then they spend the proceeding months of radio silence actually looking into their games and realizing they really like some of the characters as Smash fighters.
...and they get just well acquainted enough to be disappointed when none of their picks get in and complain that Popful Mail or Parin from Gurumin would've been way better than Adol Christin.
But at least they get to try out some neat v i d e o g a m e s.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I like Phoenix Wright, but I just don't see him at all in a fighting game.
He's been in one before though.
There's too little from his franchise to make movesets, so most of it would have to be invented.
:ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultisabelle::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpiranha::ultrob::ultsheik::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf:
And the Capcom vs Marvel footage I've seen is downright wacky, in the bad sense, as in low quality just patched up together.
Why? Everything fits the character and does a great job of replicating both the gameplay and sheer absurdity of the Phoenix Wright series. It may look a bit odd due to attack canceling but that effect is present with every character to some extent.

noooooo you cant have multiple weapons its already been done before no one else is allowed to do it only byleth can

haha funny new sword so schwing
Later...

"Ugh! Byleth is such a waste of a slot! His whole weapon gimmick isn't even unique!"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
*Look at how all of the Pokémon in the rosters were or are Mascots once or another. Or had a big part in the Anime.*

I mean. Yeah, when you have 900+ candidate, that can be cool, but it's like a Presidential election where there 2 real contender and the rest fight to get that remaining 1 or 2%.
Despite this, the Smash fanbase has a horrible track record predicting the winners of these "elections". Zoroark and Mewtwo were two of the most popular candidates during Smash 4, but Greninja was chosen. There were more people rallying behind Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc than Incineroar (and Decidueye and Lycanroc didn't get a single reference when all was said and done.)

I have no doubt that if Nintendo were to reveal a Pokemon newcomer the same way they did with ARMS, everyone would just consider it a competition between Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Urshifu, call it a day, and rarely acknowledge other options. There's not much reason for people to be so confident in their predictions, or at least not nearly as confident as they are with ARMS, but that's what I expect to happen.

Regardless, I do think Pokemon has way more ambiguity compared to most of our other options. We could have some interesting debates and discussions if people looked beyond starters and the current "promotional" Pokemon.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Also Byleth stole their gimmick
Not necessarily. The only thing that Byleth has in common with MH would be their Axe -> Hammer and the fact that they both can use bows. Monster Hunter has 12 additional weapons that they can pull from, some of which are pretty unique mechanically. Not to mention that they also have stuff like traps and bombs.

Basically if Nintendo wanted MH in, they would not have to struggle to make their moveset unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom