• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
These are the three most likely scenarios at this point regarding the ARMS rep.

1. An shadowdrop anytime.

2. Last week of June on the 29th or 30th.

3. There's been an delay and will be eventually announced.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace

I still think we could possibly get an announcement and presentation next week. But its more so that i just dont want a shadowdrop as that would lead to majority of people getting spoiled. For example i had the arms reveal from the mini direct spoiled.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH I'm feeling June 30th. It's still technically June, and it allows Nintendo to do their favorite thing: Tick everyone off and do things that make so little sense, it's almost comedic. :p

Bonus points if FP7 isn't discussed at all. :4wario2:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
On the bright side, we have a maximum of 13 days until we actually get info that is if there's no delay.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They just tweeted AGAIN about the new paper Mario

low key hope it’s the last time

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
TBH I'm feeling June 30th. It's still technically June, and it allows Nintendo to do their favorite thing: Tick everyone off and do things that make so little sense, it's almost comedic. :p

Bonus points if FP7 isn't discussed at all. :4wario2:
Then SNK and Arcsys pop up and show how you're supposed to hype up fighting games, expanding KoF and GG's audiences significantly while Smash fans still wait on FP7's announcement by the time both Strive and XV are out and best sellers

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My guess is that the character will be released the 23rd or the 30th.

Every DLC character to date, PP included, has been released on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Next Wednesday is the last Wednesday of the month, and that's already occupied by Pokemon. Two things on the same day is possible, but I think they'd prefer having the two separate. That just leaves us with next Tuesday, the 23rd, and the last day of the month, the 30th.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
At this point I think it's entirely possible they don't say anything about Challenger Pack #7. They have never revealed the next Fighter in one of these presentations, and considering the circumstances we've seen transpire with a major lack of announcements halfway into the month, I think it's possible we get the ARMS character in typical Smash presentation fashion, and that's it.

However, I think getting the ARMS pack out of the way for now may be for the best. Even if the wait itself goes until September, that's less time than the current transition from Byleth to ARMS, and in this time frame, we can play as the long-awaited ARMS character.

I've kinda...sorta...made peace with the fact that we may not actually get the ARMS fighter until June 30th. It sucks, I think that's lame to draw it out for so long with no transparency, but I think that could very well be what we're looking at.

As I said earlier, I'm usually pretty positive or optimistic. I just think Nintendo dropped the ball here. They were clearly hit harder than some other companies, so I can understand not being ready necessarily to promote or market games. That said, it shows a profound weakness is adaptability in such a scenario, and it's clearly a major one. They need to fix it.

I think it would be great if they closed out the ARMS presentation with some sort of transparency as to when we'll hear more about Volume 2, but for now I'll look at it as wishful thinking.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I still think we could possibly get an announcement and presentation next week. But its more so that i just dont want a shadowdrop as that would lead to majority of people getting spoiled. For example i had the arms reveal from the mini direct spoiled.
Man thank god I woke up in time for the mini Direct to appear on Youtube, so I basically watched it unspoiled.

ZelDan

Smash Master
>Time is 11:58 PM on 6/30/2020
>Nintendo sends out a late night tweet
>"Oh yeah BTW guys the ARMS character is Barq and Byte!"

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
At this point I think it's entirely possible they don't say anything about Challenger Pack #7. They have never revealed the next Fighter in one of these presentations, and considering the circumstances we've seen transpire with a major lack of announcements halfway into the month, I think it's possible we get the ARMS character in typical Smash presentation fashion, and that's it.
Wasn't Terry revealed during the Banjo presentation? Or am I misremembering?

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
They can easily just do what they did with the mini direct and say fighter from "series/company". Not much effort there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wasn't Terry revealed during the Banjo presentation? Or am I misremembering?
He was announced on the Direct right before it, but no gameplay was shown. Banjo's presentation showed off Terry using Power Wave and Burn Knuckle though
They can easily just do what they did with the mini direct and say fighter from "series/company". Not much effort there.
God, I can't imagine how stockholders would react after seeing that after only having Paper Mario, Pokemon, more Pokemon and mystery ARMS character announced in terms of future releases to have another mystery character announced when Sony and Xbox go "YO HERE'S OUR NEW **** AND LIKE 20 GAMES YOU CAN PLAY ON IT" while gaming companies that don't do hardware go "AY LOOK AT THESE NEW GAMES WE HAVE THAT YOU CAN ENJOY SOON". Someone needs to tell Nintendo that in order to make people want to buy their ****, they need to tell us what we can buy

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If they ever have to do a "Next character is from X franchise". I lowkey hope they just take a franchises with like, multiples ACTUALLY possible characters so it doesnt stop with "yeah it's X or a Hero situation."

Or even better. It it's a guest characters they just tell us the company and nothing more.

But no more of this ARMS specifics bull**** with like 1/4 of the characters realistically having a chance

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Or y’know next week. A Pokémon Direct doesn’t mean there can’t be an announcement.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Or y’know next week. A Pokémon Direct doesn’t mean there can’t be an announcement.
Pokemon Directs are never held in the same week as any other Nintendo-related announcement, due to the fact that Pokemon handles their own reveals separately and Pokemon might overshadow anything Nintendo announces because it's Pokemon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pokemon Directs are never held in the same week as any other Nintendo-related announcement, due to the fact that Pokemon handles their own reveals separately and Pokemon might overshadow anything Nintendo announces because it's Pokemon.
Then again, this technically wasn’t a direct...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we can go back to the topic of music. I'd really like MadWorld's music to reach a wider audience, tho no way in hell it would ever get in Smash. I don't think Nintendo would be okay with Mario being in a game with a line as hard as...

"See Solider, that man's a problem, but ain't a mutha****a on the earth that can solve 'em."

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's still a Pokemon themed showcase. And Pokemon would easily overshadow the ARMS character because it's Pokemon.
And to be fair, Smash can also overshadow Pokémon. Just because it's Smash. Even more if there a FP7 tease.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it can’t happen. People just like patterns to have something to hold on to when Sakurai and Nintendo are constantly breaking those patterns left and right.

Edit: plus the only thing that would hurt getting overshadowed is the isle of DLC and that’s already out.

I don’t get this conjecture that all Nintendo fans can only focus on one game at a time. If you’re a Nintendo fan you’ll be excited for both and neither will overshadow the other. Also, not every Pokémon fan is a Smash fan and vice versa. This thinking that one will overshadow the other is a bit flawed.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And to be fair, Smash can also overshadow Pokémon. Just because it's Smash. Even more if there a FP7 tease.
This showcase might reveal a new main series game, whether it be Sinnoh remakes, Let's Go Johto, or something else entirely.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I love Nintendo but they gotta be the least translucent video game company and it's frustrating. I don't think there will be a delay as at this point it would be quite late to say anything and it will just make people mad. But since it's Nintendo I guess I wouldn't put it pass them to possibly do this.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This showcase might reveal a new main series game, whether it be Sinnoh remakes, Let's Go Johto, or something else entirely.
This is like saying they won’t show a Smash character in a Direct because the other games will overshadow the Smash character or vice versa. You do realize that right?

ZelDan

Smash Master
If they ever have to do a "Next character is from X franchise". I lowkey hope they just take a franchises with like, multiples ACTUALLY possible characters so it doesnt stop with "yeah it's X or a Hero situation."

Or even better. It it's a guest characters they just tell us the company and nothing more.

But no more of this ARMS specifics bull**** with like 1/4 of the characters realistically having a chance
Imagine if they pulled a "Guess the Capcom character!" stunt.

All the various Capcom fanbases would be at eachothers' throats as I'm just sitting in the sidelines watching with popcorn, happy that I got Megaman in Smash 4.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

All the various Capcom fanbases would be at eachothers' throats as I'm just sitting in the sidelines watching with popcorn, happy that I got Megaman in Smash 4.
Max carnage scenario: Character from EA Games.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

See.
This is the good kind of Tea and drama we need in the smash speculation. The kind of kick in the ass to not make it boring. Great minds think alike.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing about this week is that Pokemon DLC is dropping. Smash DLC can clash with that. That's why it made sense to separate them. They're now on the same system and that's bad for business.

Pokemon had a very short presentation(and no, it's not a Direct) to give a few cool things There's nothing to overshadow next week, since the DLC week is over with. So there's no issue outright with announcing and releasing the Smash character. They may have it so ARMS released the last week of June instead, and just have the announcement next week. Either way, there's no clashing.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is like saying they won’t show a Smash character in a Direct because the other games will overshadow the Smash character or vice versa. You do realize that right?
That's only for Nindie directs or franchise-specific directs. General Nintendo Directs are fine.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
"Hey guys, guess which Capcom rep it will be!"

This would be such a headache. Personally and in general. Capcom has one of the biggest pool of potential characters and personally I have a lot of stakes in this too as it would make me be like "Is it Phoenix's time or will it be someone else like Dante or maybe Monster Hunter, Amaterasu or even Frank West?"

Just like ZelDan said, there would be several fanbases yelling at each other and people are already anxious about speculation as it is. So they better not do anything like this again.

"We will include a Square Enix rep!"

oh boy.........

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Imagine if it's a company with a lot of different genres and titles under their belt, like Sega, Capcom or Namco.

Or even better: "it's a LoL/Dota 2 character" - both of which have over a hundred characters each. Boy, that would be a fun speculation period. :4pacman:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That's only for Nindie directs or franchise-specific directs. General Nintendo Directs are fine.
P-pardon? Not sure you’re getting what I’m saying. If they decided to shove the announcements from the Pokémon Direct and the Smash presentation into a Direct and just called it a Nintendo Direct Mini there would be no discussion or worry about one overshadowing the other. What makes this situation different?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
P-pardon? Not sure you’re getting what I’m saying. If they decided to shove the announcements from the Pokémon Direct and the Smash presentation into a Direct and just called it a Nintendo Direct Mini there would be no discussion or worry about one overshadowing the other. What makes this situation different?
It's meant to focus exclusively on Pokemon and throwing in a Smash reveal, even if it is for a Pokemon character, would suck attention away from any new Pokemon content.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's meant to focus exclusively on Pokemon and throwing in a Smash reveal, even if it is for a Pokemon character, would suck attention away from any new Pokemon content.
I’m not saying they’re revealing a character during the Pokémon presentation. I’m saying it’s plausible to have both the Pokémon Presents and the ARMS character reveal next week without cannibalizing the other. Will it happen? Who knows but it’s a possibility.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You are aware that Pokemon presentations(note we've had Pokemon directs before. They used a completely different word here, and it was a quick short one) don't get Smash announcements, right?

Because what would happen is a Smash direct on a different date, probably a day after or so, and it would reveal all of the latest Patch, ARMS, amiibo stuff(if possible), Mii costumes, and then announce a Pokemon.

Because here's something you're forgetting; the reason the Smash presentation or direct was not a good move this week is because it would overshadow the Pokemon DLC, not the presentation.

...When did NSG say a single thing about a Pokemon character being in the presentation? Where are you getting this from? Nobody said that.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You are aware that Pokemon presentations(note we've had Pokemon directs before. They used a completely different word here, and it was a quick short one) don't get Smash announcements, right?

Because what would happen is a Smash direct on a different date, probably a day after or so, and it would reveal all of the latest Patch, ARMS, amiibo stuff(if possible), Mii costumes, and then announce a Pokemon.

Because here's something you're forgetting; the reason the Smash presentation or direct was not a good move this week is because it would overshadow the Pokemon DLC, not the presentation.

...When did NSG say a single thing about a Pokemon character being in the presentation? Where are you getting this from? Nobody said that.
Next week we might be getting a new main series game announcement.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if they only announced small things today, they could still do a smash announcement this week if next week really is Pokémon’s “big guns” aka a new major game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom