• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think there's an assumption that Game Freak/The Pokemon Company march to the beat of their own drum, somewhat separate from Nintendo in terms out output and/or reveals. Whatever one can say about the innovation or polish of Pokemon titles (or lack thereof), the brand does seem to put out news or updates at a decent pace and consistency.
I know. A large part of the reason why TPC was still able to reveal stuff to us in June is because they operate mostly separate from Nintendo anyways. Nintendo has several different studios and third-parties that are causing them to struggle with their marketing.

Regardless, new games are still being developed, and despite what the awful marketing seems to have made people think, I doubt the rest of 2020 will be barren. I think people are confusing the lack of news with a lack of content to reveal to us. The only thing we've gotten so far is Origami King, and I highly doubt that was the extent of Nintendo's presence at E3 2020.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think it's safe to say that the movies aren't stopping either. Though to be fair, what's the last Sun/Moon movie? Haven't they cut down on the advertisement movies a bit?
As far as I know there isn't one. There were a few Gen 1 movies with Gen 7 product placement, but there wasn't a Solgaleo and the Eater of Light or anything like that. I believe this is because the box legendaries, Meltan, and Ultra Beasts were all a part of the anime's plotline.

I think the last legendary movie was for Magearna.

But you're going to need a lot of Pokemon to justify an entire year long filler arc.
They do have the entire locations of Isle of Armour and Frozen Tundra, and along with the face legendaries, they do have the galarian bird and regi trio as well as the other galarian forms. It could be a bit of a stretch, but I could see it working.

Realistically they're not going to try and give the main series games any more time as we've proven that they don't need to, but I think there are definitely ways of doing so.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As far as I know there isn't one. There were a few Gen 1 movies with Gen 7 product placement, but there wasn't a Solgaleo and the Eater of Light or anything like that. I believe this is because the box legendaries, Meltan, and Ultra Beasts were all a part of the anime's plotline.

They do have the entire locations of Isle of Armour and Frozen Tundra, and along with the face legendaries, they do have the galarian bird and regi trio as well as the other galarian forms. It could be a bit of a stretch, but I could see it working.

Realistically they're not going to try and give the main series games any more time as we've proven that they don't need to, but I think there are definitely ways of doing so.
I think the only chance is a second full team. Anything else, nope.

That said, those all sound like core stuff and not filler anyway.

And yeah, if they don't use the DLC campaigns as the regular anime, they'll be movies. They really don't come off as a filler arc but a third game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know. A large part of the reason why TPC was still able to reveal stuff to us in June is because they operate mostly separate from Nintendo anyways. Nintendo has several different studios and third-parties that are causing them to struggle with their marketing.

Regardless, new games are still being developed, and despite what the awful marketing seems to have made people think, I doubt the rest of 2020 will be barren. I think people are confusing the lack of news with a lack of content to reveal to us. The only thing we've gotten so far is Origami King, and I highly doubt that was the extent of Nintendo's presence at E3 2020.
This then begs the question of how the **** Sony managed to pull off an hour long presentation of brand new announcements, how Microsoft has a similar presentation in a week or two and how every major publisher is releasing multiple trailers yet Nintendo is only able to show Paper Mario. It's them deliberately doing **** all

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No, I was saying that was workable.

It just wasn't going to work to fix the anime factor. It will help the games, yes. But it won't completely fix "everything" either.
Well if it works around the anime's deadlines to give the games the time they need I'd say it would fix quite a lot. Then all we'd need is for Game Freak to stop replacing good features with paper thin gimmicks for the sake of "surprising" players.

This then begs the question of how the **** Sony managed to pull off an hour long presentation of brand new announcements, how Microsoft has a similar presentation in a week or two and how every major publisher is releasing multiple trailers yet Nintendo is only able to show Paper Mario. It's them deliberately doing **** all
Leads me to believe that they don't have much to show. I wouldn't be surprised if the Super Mario remake rumours are false, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel was a 2021 game, and there isn't really a big holiday title they can fall back on.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Why do I have a feeling they're going to shadowdrop the ARMS presentation tomorrow?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well if it works around the anime's deadlines to give the games the time they need I'd say it would fix quite a lot. Then all we'd need is for Game Freak to stop replacing good features with paper thin gimmicks for the sake of "surprising" players.
To be fair, innovating is nice, but the way they did it this time around hurt the game due to the "models" excuse. If they didn't use the excuse, it wouldn't be a big deal. I think the innovations are cool and I like dynamix/gigantimax.

Leads me to believe that they don't have much to show. I wouldn't be surprised if the Super Mario remake rumours are false, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel was a 2021 game, and there isn't really a big holiday title they can fall back on.
It's worth remembering that Japan also had a very hard lockdown while the US did not.

Nintendo is actually a lot more delayed than Sony and Microsoft are. So it makes sense. Yeah, the rumors are likely false.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I have a feeling the content is there. It's just that Nintendo is taking forever to present it to us.

I'm not saying this holiday will have BotW 2, Prime 4, and the next Gen of Pokemon all together, but I feel like it's premature to assume that they have nothing left to show.

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Tbh, I don’t even know why I came back with another account. That post earlier really had me questioning that.

I come back after a few months of disengagement (For obvious reasons), and literally nothing has changed. Same tired arguments, same radio silence from Nintendo, same cooked up theories to pass time, ect. And the payoff will be what, a Gen 8 Pokemon? Seems likely so.

The ARMS reveal kicking off the pass was already a warning for me not to get invested in this game anymore (Especially after Byleth, even though I warmed up to him a bit), but the fact is that its the same song and dance over and over again in this community, and it really makes you wonder.

And the worst part is the few glimmers of hope like the Vergeben DM (Which is why I even made another account in the first place), that *may* be true or false, or a carrot dangling like PapaGenos saying ARMS WAS going to be revealed with a potential hype third party, but nope, we won’t tell you whether or not that fell through.

All of this for a game that, tbh, isn’t even fun to play anymore and has outlived its novelty. The single player modes are lacking, the online is garbage, its pretty telling that a game HAS to rely on roster reveals to maintain hype in the community, and for me at least, so far this year that hasn’t even been accomplished.

What I’m trying to say is, for me at least, the hype is over. And if Imran’s statements indicate anything, it is highly unlikely it will return anytime soon. The hype was very low in the past few months, but now, it has truly bottomed out. There is absolutely no reason for me to invest my time and energy in this game anymore. There are other games beside Smash that exist. Next gen consoles are dropping this fall. My country literally caught on fire everywhere a few weeks ago and unrest is still rampant. The pandemic is still creating uncertainty in this country even though studies have implied a far less mortality rate than originally feared. The China situation is at a boiling point, as they are taking over Hong Kong and sending sleeper cells to the Southwest. My point is, for me, there are other things to pay attention to aside from Smash, and the latter has given me no reason to stay invested in the long term. And it’ll likely stay that way from now on.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be fair, innovating is nice, but the way they did it this time around hurt the game due to the "models" excuse. If they didn't use the excuse, it wouldn't be a big deal. I think the innovations are cool and I like dynamix/gigantimax.
"You know that really slick online interface we made?"
"Yeah. It seems people really liked it."
"Let's replace it with that small side feature we had in Pokémon Black 2/White 2."
"It seems people did not like that."
"Ok then, let's replace it with a feature that's too ambitious for us to finish so it just flat out won't work most of the time and drops the framerate through the floor."
Innovation at its finest.

I like that Dynamax works with all Pokémon but the way it's handled just amounts to saving your super effective Pokémon for their last Pokémon and hope that they didn't give their Charizard Grass Knot of all things so you can take it down. Same issue I had with Z-moves except you just had to worry about tanking the one hit.

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I have a feeling the content is there. It's just that Nintendo is taking forever to present it to us.

I'm not saying this holiday will have BotW 2, Prime 4, and the next Gen of Pokemon all together, but I feel like it's premature to assume that they have nothing left to show.
I don't doubt that there isn't anything for them to show, but I'd be willing to bet it's all smaller titles like a hypothetical Pikmin 4 than larger ones like a mainline Super Mario or The Legend of Zelda game. If there was one like that, I feel like they would have made some kind of an effort to at least tease it already.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Why do I have a feeling they're going to shadowdrop the ARMS presentation tomorrow?
Smash doesn't seem like the type of thing that would be shadowdropped, but neither was a new Paper Mario that releases next month, so I'm going to join in cautious optimism.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
i wouldn't be surpised if part of the reason why the arms character was delayed is because they are finishing the trailer for FP7 to be revealed alongside with the arms character.

D

Deleted member

Desperation and wishful thinking. I feel it too, I really just want to see who the ARMS character is and move on be it an upgrade or not.

Would love for it to be an upgrade like Spring-Man or Min Min but even then there's no guarantee we'll get more so who knows. I'd also love for Max Brass to get in cause he's just a fun character.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What qualifies as "hype" differs depending on who you ask.

After more than a year of, "What third-party do you think they'll add next?", ARMS was a nice change of pace for me. It may have been mostly limited to one game, but I like ARMS, so naturally I'll enjoy participating in those conversations. It also opened up more discussion to first-parties, which is something that I felt was neglected during the first pass.

Regardless, there's nothing stopping people from speculating what we'll get in the future. We still have 5 characters left, and I doubt all 5 of them are SwSh and XC2 reps. Surely they have more up their sleeves.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Question: When 6 releases, regardless of which ARMs character it is, will you play them or nah? Especially for those who have played ARMs and understand the mechanics to have an idea of how they would translate to smash, do you think their hypothetical moveset and playstyle would be interesting enough to try maining?
I'm not planning on it, but I also wasn't planning on maining Hero or Dark Samus, so you never know.
So with Ring Fit Adventure having sold 1mil retail in Japan (and apparently being the first new IP to hit that mark since Splatoon) even with supply problems, and going multi-million worldwide, what’s your take on Ring Fit Trainer in Smash? They had a spirit event a while back, which probably hinders a bit and they may have just missed the mark with Ultimate... but then again we have ARMS happening.
I think the post-launch spirit event rules it out. If there's a Vol. 3 (which I doubt) she's a lock, but other than that, no. I think it's massive success was a surprise.
There's absolutely no reason why whatever is being shown on the 24th couldn't have been part of this direct. It was 15 minutes for ****'s sake. Unless The Pokemon Company is announcing they're on the war path and are going to start seizing small states for additional territory, it would've blended in fine.

At least we're getting a new Pokemon Snap.
Masuda, June 24th 2020:

D

Deleted member

Another pokemon presentation on the 24th and today's already gave us the Isle of Armor AND a new Pokemon Snap announcement! Next week's is probably a bit more on Crown Tundra, but what else? There anyone else hoping for the announcement of Rillaboom or someone else from gen 8 (though I'll accept Zerora) making it into Smash?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Another pokemon presentation on the 24th and today's already gave us the Isle of Armor AND a new Pokemon Snap announcement! Next week's is probably a bit more on Crown Tundra, but what else? There anyone else hoping for the announcement of Rillaboom or someone else from gen 8 (though I'll accept Zerora) making it into Smash?
There's the rumored Pokémon game being developed by...Tencent, I think? As well as Detective Pikachu 2 and Pokémon Sleep. I don't think we'll see much on the Crown Tundra until later.

They wouldn't do a Super Smash Bros. announcement in a Pokémon livestream even if we got a Pokémon newcomer. At most they'd tell us to watch the next Super Smash Bros. presentation. Besides, they're not going to reveal the 7th pass DLC character before the 6th.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know what really scare me.
It's the idea that we might get News on the ARMS fighter and nothing else.
Complete silence until the next Direct that could be whenever but probably september.
I think that’s the most likely outcome. However, I feel like July is going to be a big month. Probably a really great direct.

I mean I hope. Because this year is looking... uh, hoo boy.

D

Deleted member

Heck no. neither is the Pokemon Company
I mean I'll settle for another Gen 8 guy, but I feel like Rillaboom would be fun. They probably could just modify DK's frame data a bit to create him if they wanted to (and just give him some different moves of course).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean I'll settle for another Gen 8 guy, but I feel like Rillaboom would be fun. They probably could just modify DK's frame data a bit to create him if they wanted to (and just give him some different moves of course).
I think Rillaboom would be the most interesting of the three starters due to his whole drummer motif, but I've been convinced that if we're going to get a Generation 8 Pokémon, it would unquestionably be Cinderace as the marketing favorite.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Don't know why everyone's getting so upset.

Silence is literally what I expected from Nintendo with them scattering bits of news and information throughout the summer. So far that's exactly what's been happening.

Just another example of people projecting expectations from their own heads, then getting mad at Nintendo for not meeting these expectations.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
All I'm saying is that if this **** drops on the 23rd like the GGStrive stuff, I'm paying NO attention to it, can't believe this is the most demand people have had for ARMS either
Man... That and potentially KOFXV and more Atlus stuff being revealed on the 23rd is already making me hyped as all heck for that day. If there's a Smash announcement I think I might have a heart attack!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Question: What’s the highest number you can possible see the roster getting to without being just outright ridiculous?
The roster can become outright ridiculous?

Well I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say a Pokemon XD remake will be shown off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom