• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was brainstorming how they could make Urshifu work as a stance fighter. What if there was a Galarian trainer who'd switch when certain moves were used? It's be like a more seamless pokemon switch, except the two Urishu forms are clones of eachother rather then completely different characters, like Ken to Ryu or Mario to Doc. This hypothetical moveset would work best if it learns moves switching moves like U-turn and Parting Shot.
If you really wanted to, you could cut out the middle man and just have two of them working together.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This conversation made me remember when people argued that Robin and Lucina weren't the protagonists of Awakening.

Pretty sure, Chrom, Lucina and Robin are a trio of main characters. The story is about all three of them.
At the same time, those three are absolutely not treated as equal thirds by the story. They're all protagonists, but Chrom is 100% still the main protagonist of the three.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That still doesn't mean it's correct to say that at least Robin isn't a protagonist.
Which, if you read what I said, I addressed. My point is that there's still absolutely a pecking order among them.

SKX31

Smash Master
That still doesn't mean it's correct to say that at least Robin isn't a protagonist.
Which, if you read what I said, I addressed. My point is that there's still absolutely a pecking order among them.
Are we gonna commit to more technical terms like Deuteragonist / Tritagonist? Those terms kind of fit the conversation, but it's not that easy to "rank" them in terms of importance.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I read what you said. The fact that you were saying that Chrom is the only main protagonist was where I misinterpreted you.

Rex has missed his chance. He's unlikely.
He said after the previous two characters were revealed to be from ARMS and Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I read what you said. The fact that you were saying that Chrom is the only main protagonist was where I misinterpreted you.

He said after the previous two characters were revealed to be from ARMS and Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
That doesn't mean that Rex has any chance. XC2 is old news now with no attempt by Nintendo to revive interest. There's basically no reason to make Rex DLC, especially considering that there will probably be a XC3 in the future and that game's protagonist will become more pleasing for Nintendo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That doesn't mean that Rex has any chance. XC2 is old news now with no attempt by Nintendo to revive interest. There's basically no reason to make Rex DLC, especially considering that there will probably be a XC3 in the future and that game's protagonist will become more pleasing for Nintendo.
that, or a potential Definitive Edition of Xenoblade X. Maybe even Xenoblade X 2, both of which would be in Elma's favor

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That doesn't mean that Rex has any chance. XC2 is old news now with no attempt by Nintendo to revive interest.
Again. ARMS.

There's basically no reason to make Rex DLC, especially considering that there will probably be a XC3 in the future and that game's protagonist will become more pleasing for Nintendo.
that, or a potential Definitive Edition of Xenoblade X. Maybe even Xenoblade X 2, both of which would be in Elma's favor
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is very likely a ways out, and Xenoblade Chronicles X/Xenoblade Chronicles X 2 are completely unknown variables airing on the side of "not happening right now". They might could have picked a Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition character instead, but I don't think Rex is completely out of the running just yet, especially if he makes an appearance in the new Future Connected storyline.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Again. ARMS.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is very likely a ways out, and Xenoblade Chronicles X/Xenoblade Chronicles X 2 are completely unknown variables airing on the side of "not happening right now". They might could have picked a Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition character instead, but I don't think Rex is completely out of the running just yet, especially if he makes an appearance in the new Future Connected storyline.
ARMS is different, as Nintendo has shown clear interest in supporting that game long term, which they aren't doing the same for XC2.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
ARMS is different, as Nintendo has shown clear interest in supporting that game long term, which they aren't doing the same for XC2.
Uh...No they haven't. ARMS received nothing after the Dr. Coyle update, and the game wasn't pushed until the fact that the next fighter is from ARMS was unveiled. And even so, it was just a short Demo.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Uh...No they haven't. ARMS received nothing after the Dr. Coyle update, and the game wasn't pushed until the fact that the next fighter is from ARMS was unveiled. And even so, it was just a short Demo.
Rex is also a DLC Mii Fighter costume, which was literally put in because he couldn't be playable because of timing.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I highly doubt Xenoblade X Definitive or 2 will be pumped out within the DLC's timeframe. It'd be cool, but there's nothing suggesting that will be the case.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I highly doubt Xenoblade X Definitive or 2 will be pumped out within the DLC's timeframe. It'd be cool, but there's nothing suggesting that will be the case.
A Xenoblade X port is highly feasible imo. Especially between now and December of 2021

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Considering it took the original Xenoblade 10 years before getting a remaster, I highly doubt they would do a Definitive Edition of Xenoblade X after only 5 years. For that matter, most remasters take at least 10 years before they get remastered, with the exception of Persona games. Someone correct me if there is another series I forgot. And also considering they JUST put out the Xenoblade Definitive edition out last week, I doubt they have another Xenoblade game ready to be released in the next 2 years. Just 2 cents though.

Edit: Also for those wondering about a direct port, Takahashi from Monosoft in an interview has stated that it would be very difficult to port the game to switch, which is usually PR talk for its not happening.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...ade-chronicles-x-on-the-switch-anytime-soon/#5199e9a3811e

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Shower thought:

We're so bloody lucky before the game launch that assist trophy footage wasn't leaked of say Isaac/Waluigi/Bomberman attacking/grabbing/being K.O.ed. People would've seen Nintendo remove the footage and confidently assumed the character was in only to be crushed.

The backlash and salt would be significant even by Smash fanbase standards.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
And the same is the case with ARMS content, but it's still getting DLC from the game.
But ARMS is a new IP that didn't release any games since base game, Xenoblade did release new things, which could take priority.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
'That doesn't mean ARMS has any chance. ARMS is old news with no attempt by Nintendo to revive interest. There's basically no reason to make ARMS DLC especially considering that there will probably be an ARMS 2 in the future and the games mascot would be more pleasing for Nintendo '. And yes I am fully aware the last part about the ARMS 2 crap makes little to no sense but I wanted to alter the whole post so ignore that if you don't agree.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But ARMS is a new IP that didn't release any games since base game, Xenoblade did release new things, which could take priority.
And again, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Addition could get a character instead, but I don't think Rex is out of the running, especially if he makes an appearance in the Future Connected storyline.

EDIT: I also think it's worth noting that while someone like Riki or Fiora could boost the sales of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Rex & Pyra/Mythra could boost the sales of both Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and it's DLC/standalone prequel Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
At the same time, those three are absolutely not treated as equal thirds by the story. They're all protagonists, but Chrom is 100% still the main protagonist of the three.
I'd argue Chrom and Robin are equally the main protagonist.

I'll agree that Lucina is a little lower on the totem pole, but she's still a protagonist of the game.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Honestly, if any Xenoblade character didn't get unfairly pushed aside, that would not be Rex. Again, he was too late for the base game, and no, Byleth doesn't counts since they're DLC and their game released post Ultimate so there was an actual planning window.

Instead the one who really got nothing was Elma. Or you could argue the avatar, but either of the two.

X was already out for years then and thus was the latest Xenoblade at the moment. Then again, I guess unlike Splatoon, not having anything on Switch didn't give them as much of a chance.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, if any Xenoblade character didn't get unfairly pushed aside, that would not be Rex. Again, he was too late for the base game, and no, Byleth doesn't counts since they're DLC and their game released post Ultimate so there was an actual planning window.

Instead the one who really got nothing was Elma. Or you could argue the avatar, but either of the two.

X was already out for years then and thus was the latest Xenoblade at the moment. Then again, I guess unlike Splatoon, not having anything on Switch didn't give them as much of a chance.
Um. Yes it does. It still appeared way too late for character consideration for the base roster, and both Byleth and Rex & Pyra/Mythra were available for consideration for DLC, with the latter's game not still being in development upon the DLC roster's consideration.

Really, both games got snubbed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Considering it took the original Xenoblade 10 years before getting a remaster, I highly doubt they would do a Definitive Edition of Xenoblade X after only 5 years. For that matter, most remasters take at least 10 years before they get remastered, with the exception of Persona games. Someone correct me if there is another series I forgot. And also considering they JUST put out the Xenoblade Definitive edition out last week, I doubt they have another Xenoblade game ready to be released in the next 2 years. Just 2 cents though.

Edit: Also for those wondering about a direct port, Takahashi from Monosoft in an interview has stated that it would be very difficult to port the game to switch, which is usually PR talk for its not happening.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...ade-chronicles-x-on-the-switch-anytime-soon/#5199e9a3811e
that was in 2018. things may have changed since then. also, Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore found a workaround for the gamepad, who's to say an X Remaster can't do the same?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

As awesome as Elma would be, I don't think she got unfairly pushed aside. She was just out-prioritized for base roster (remember there were only six unique newcomers), and now that DLC is an option, Rex is arguably the more monetarily profitable choice.

Like many awesome characters, its just bad timing. That's really it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Rex has missed his chance. He's unlikely.
If that was the case we wouldn't be getting a Arms rep. Rex is still alive for now.

A Xenoblade X port is highly feasible imo. Especially between now and December of 2021
It would just be better for Monolith Soft to make a Xenoblade X: Definitive Edition at this point since all the Chronicles games are already on the Switch in this format.

Shower thought:

We're so bloody lucky before the game launch that assist trophy footage wasn't leaked of say Isaac/Waluigi/Bomberman attacking/grabbing/being K.O.ed. People would've seen Nintendo remove the footage and confidently assumed the character was in only to be crushed.

The backlash and salt would be significant even by Smash fanbase standards.
That would have been Ridley bad. I'll see my self out now.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
that was in 2018. things may have changed since then. also, Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore found a workaround for the gamepad, who's to say an X Remaster can't do the same?
I wouldn't say it can't (Frontier Nav could just be a menu), but Tokyo Mirage Sessions # FE Encore wouldn't really change the decision on whether or not to port Xenoblade Chronicles X, and we have no indication that the decision has changed. For now, the official word is that it's a remaster or bust.

EDIT: There's also no guarantee that it would be finished this or next year.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, the only Wii U games that couldn't be ported to Switch are Star Fox Zero and Nintendo Land because both titles are built around the gamepad.

Which is a real shame cause, Nintendo Land is ****ing baller!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wouldn't say it can't (Frontier Nav could just be a menu), but Tokyo Mirage Sessions # FE Encore wouldn't really change the decision on whether or not to port Xenoblade Chronicles X, and we have no indication that the decision has changed. For now, the official word is that it's a remaster or bust.
so...remaster it is, I say. there's a lot of cut content from the vanilla version they can expand on in a remaster. like, the time attack boss Neilnail Furvus has no context in vanilla, you can give it context in a DE. same for
Celica and Lao having cut post battle banter. this is impossible to hear in game without hacking as Lao leaves long before Celica joins

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Um. Yes it does. It still appeared way too late for character consideration for the base roster, and both Byleth and Rex & Pyra/Mythra were available for consideration for DLC, with the latter's game not still being in development upon the DLC roster's consideration.

Really, both games got snubbed.
No.

XBC2 was released before Ultimate, but it's development was still too late for Sakurai's planning of the base roster. Three Houses was a game released post-Ultimate's launch, of a series that sells more and thus gets more prioritized than most; development window is simply more beneficial from both a commercial and time standpoint.

2 was snubbed by being too late, X has not much reason why it got as such besides the little likelihood of it appearing on Switch.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
X has not much reason why it got as such besides the little likelihood of it appearing on Switch.
I wonder if X's rumored bad reception in Japan is to blame for it being out prioritized.

That said, when you have to compete with :ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar: for a slot, its hard not to be out prioritized.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, Elma may of had a better shot at getting in if it wasn't for "Everyone is here!".

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
so...remaster it is, I say. there's a lot of cut content from the vanilla version they can expand on in a remaster. like, the time attack boss Neilnail Furvus has no context in vanilla, you can give it context in a DE. same for
Celica and Lao having cut post battle banter. this is impossible to hear in game without hacking as Lao leaves long before Celica joins
I personally think the game deserves a remaster more than any of Nintendo's other Wii U exclusives/former Wii U exclusives. The gameplay is solid, but there are various glaring issues such as Overdrive being explained poorly, stats not being explained at all, high level enemies next to low level story quest objectives, Hope Springs Eternal being set in freaking Cauldros, etc.

No.

XBC2 was released before Ultimate, but it's development was still too late for Sakurai's planning of the base roster. Three Houses was a game released post-Ultimate's launch, of a series that sells more and thus gets more prioritized than most; development window is simply more beneficial from both a commercial and time standpoint.
That doesn't change the fact that the games were in similar situations (neither existed during Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's planning stages), and that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was pushed aside. Same thing with ARMS, except now it's in.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I'm not personally sold on Rex just yet, I do think it's still possible. I don't see Nintendo promoting XC2 to the same extent as ARMS and Splatoon 2, but they might want to add Rex for the sake of keeping the momentum going for the next Xenoblade game.

With all that said, it's either Rex or nothing. The hard truth is that there's very little reason for them to choose a character from a Wii U game that wasn't exactly beloved by fans in Japan. The only way I see XCX getting a character is if there's some kind of remake for the Switch within the next two years, and that by itself is a long shot.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
That doesn't change the fact that the games were in similar situations (neither existed during Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's planning stages), and that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was pushed aside. Same thing with ARMS, except now it's in.
It does, because one was available for a post-launch DLC window and thus it would get prioritized, while the other didn't.

And ARMS is a recent IP with moderate success that Nintendo has been interesting to promote more in recent times, Xenoblade doesn't requires that as much post-Shulk in Smash, and the time and financial window just wasn't favorable for XBC2 at the time of both Ultimate's development and the first Fighters Pass.

Not saying Rex can't be in FP2, Sakurai would have after all had time been better, but it all falls on Nintendo's choice right now, and wether they're interested to invest more on XBC2 at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom