• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
If we're talking about massive hypothetical rosters, I have to present this classic:
View attachment 273713
It's crazy to think Smash Ultimate will only have 10 less characters than this image when all's said and done with FP2.
Pretty nuts. Let's not forget all the other crossovers we have and will see. Even if not in playable form, spirits and Mii costumes to represent new series's really do go a long way to emphasise how large the scope of the crossover is. Tbf I hope most of the well known video game series get represent eventually in Ultimate. Although Ultimate has undeniably gotten most of the big fish, there are still some left to catch.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If we're talking about massive hypothetical rosters, I have to present this classic:
View attachment 273713
It's crazy to think Smash Ultimate will only have 10 less characters than this image when all's said and done with FP2.
Petition to make Super Giga Tera Koopa a real thing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So as we near the ARMS reveal? What do you guys think the chances are of FP7 as well or do you think its going to only be said ARMS fighter?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So as we near the ARMS reveal? What do you guys think the chances are of FP7 as well or do you think its going to only be said ARMS fighter?
Depends. If it is announced a day in advance we will probably have a good idea then. Sakurai showcase, probably not, a direct , we will almost definitely get more than one. If it doesn't get scheduled then it's either more 'where is the arms character' or it's shadowdropped like Joker and we know we aren't getting a new reveal just things coming in the update

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It does feel like Smash reveals typically happen on average about every three months so Fighter 7 in June and Fighter 8 in September (in a Fall Direct?) feels like it makes sense.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Pretty nuts. Let's not forget all the other crossovers we could see. Even if not in playable form, spirits and Mii costumes to represent new series's really do go a long way to emphasise how large the scope of the crossover is. Tbf I hope most of the well known video game series get represent eventually in Ultimate. Although Ultimate has undeniably gotten most of the big fish, there are still some left to catch.
I do too, but there’s a decent amount left. I know it’s not the only reason why we get characters/series in Smash, but it’s interesting to me how many more of the top selling game series ever have gotten Smash representation recently.

In the past year we’ve gotten:
Dragon Quest (81 mil), Resident Evil (100 mil) & Assassin’s Creed (140 mil). I’d love if they went back & added playable characters for RE/AC though. They’re huge/important series that have fun character potential.

When it comes to big fish I’d say we have:
Minecraft (200 mil), Tomb Raider (77 mil), Halo (70 mil), Elder Scrolls (58 mil), Mortal Kombat (52 mil), Crash (50 mil) & Tekken (49 mil).

There’s also series that haven’t sold as well as those big guns but are still super recognizable like Doom, Half-Life, Kingdom Hearts & Devil May Cry. As well as PC series that don’t really have any known sales data like World of Warcraft, Starcraft & Team Fortress 2.

There’s also series like Call of Duty (300 mil) & The Sims (200 m), that I don’t think could support playable characters but could work as Mii costumes, Spirits or a stage. A Captain Price or Ghost costume alongside Crash as a playable character would be perfect. GTA is at 310 mil, but I can’t see that series being in Smash at all; the situations & themes it deals with are too mature IMO.

I got my info from here. I’m sure some of the numbers are out of date but it’s good enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

I just love video games & want to see Ultimate become as much of a gaming hall of fame as it can be.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It goes feel like Smash reveals typically happen on average about every three months so Fighter 7 in June and Fighter 8 in September (in a Fall Direct?) feels like it makes sense.
I think there’s a high chance we get another character alongside the Arms character. This was supposed to be the month that E3 happened, they usually have more than 1 reveal at E3. The fact they revealed the Arms character instead of keeping it a complete surprise makes me think that even more.

The only way we don’t get another one is if the Coronavirus effected production that much, but it doesn’t seem so judging by Sakurai’s statements.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
This would be my dream Smash roster with semi-realistic choices. What do you guys think?
View attachment 273645
>Impa
>Dixie
>Master Chief
>Jill
>Sora
>2B
>DoomGuy
>Scorpion
>Kratos
>Shovel Knight

My only issue is Shadow being the other Sonic character, it should be Eggman or Tails instead. I’d have added an Undertale character too.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
View attachment 273713
It has aged pretty well all things considered, we got:

Pit
An Animal X-ing Villager
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool
Banjo & Kazooie
Wolf
Megaman
Sonic
Wario
King Dedede
Daisy
Olimar (With Pikmin)
And even predicted Sheik would be her own character

You think Sakurai took some pointers from this image?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
It has aged pretty well all things considered, we got:

Pit
An Animal X-ing Villager
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool
Banjo & Kazooie
Wolf
Megaman
Sonic
Wario
King Dedede
Daisy
Olimar (With Pikmin)
And even predicted Sheik would be her own character

You think Sakurai took some pointers from this image?
yep he did that's why the gerudo guard from ocarina of time is going to be the next character part of Challenger Pack 7 in Fighter Pass Volume 2 in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
yep he did that's why the gerudo guard from ocarina of time is going to be the next character part of Challenger Pack 7 in Fighter Pass Volume 2 in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch.
At least it's not another Link.:ultpacman:

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm honestly expecting FP7 to be revealed this month with a release in either August or September.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm at least hoping CP7 is revealed with the ARMS presentation. No offense to ARMS fans, but this is probably one of the more boring periods of discussion we've had in awhile.

We boiled it down to a few different scenarios, but then what? We've been here for 2 months where nobody really budges. Hopefully we get another pick to shake things up wholesale and can shift the discussion.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Smash Fans: Well we got our ARMS character confirmed. Finally that long speculation is over and we'll get a definitive reveal.
Announcer: The next fighter will be... someone from Pokemon to be named later!

*Smash fans throw their keyboards off their desks*

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm at least hoping CP7 is revealed with the ARMS presentation. No offense to ARMS fans, but this is probably one of the more boring periods of discussion we've had in awhile.

We boiled it down to a few different scenarios, but then what? We've been here for 2 months where nobody really budges. Hopefully we get another pick to shake things up wholesale and can shift the discussion.
TBF I'd personally take this period over the Brave period. Because that wasn't good for discussion either. But I do agree that it'd be way more fun if something budged. Even if it was something mundane like leaks being proven fake or whatever.

Smash Fans: Well we got our ARMS character confirmed. Finally that long speculation is over and we'll get a definitive reveal.

*Baboom intensifies.*

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For now, I'm just looking forward to playing as the new character.

A reveal would be nice, but I have a feeling that whoever they end up choosing is going to have a really wacky and enjoyable moveset. It also helps that I've played ARMS before, so it'll be fun listening to the remixes and seeing all the little references they sprinkled here and there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Even crazier:

“The next fighter is from the Xenoblade series!” *shows Riki, Rex, Lora, Mecha-Fiora in all her spoilery glory, Elma, and Cross*
Most ppl’s expectation: Rex
Everyone else’s expectation: Cross
Reality: Elma

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I swear to god if they pull this bull**** again I may end up not buying the pass
Even crazier:

“The next fighter is from the Xenoblade series!” *shows Riki, Rex, Lora, Mecha-Fiora in all her spoilery glory, Elma, and Cross*
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Everyone knows Elma but even people who played X need to be reminded Cross exists

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I think I'd be more angry at the fact that they decided to add an 11th Pokemon in general over any kind of mystery fighter reveal.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
*Announces ARMS fighter*
Sakurai: As for FP7. Its announced it'll be yet again another Fire Emblem character, stay tune in September to find out who it is.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Even crazier:

Alternatively: surprise, it's KOS-MOS!

I feel like "The next fighter is from Capcom!" would be even crazier, because people would be divided between so many characters. You'd have people pushing for Mega Man X or Tron Bonne, others wanting a unique Street Fighter newcomer like Chun-Li or M. Bison, people who want a Resident Evil character to get promoted from spirit status (or Claire Redfield or Nemesis, I suppose), Dante fans, Morrigan fans (or people who want Demitri or Jon Talbain), people who want Strider Hiryu, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Viewtiful Joe, Zack and Wiki, the Smith Syndicate from Killer 7, Captain Commando, Amingo...

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Even crazier:

Tbf if they were to do another guess who and actually show the characters, chances are they'd show the list of plausible candidates from the game not necessarily the series.

Honestly atm Rex is probably the front runner due to him being the most relevant but what other characters could they show? Aside from the main character from Torna I ain't got nothing. They probably wouldn't do that for something so painfully obvious though so this is purely hypothetical.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Oh that'd be 10x worse. It'd be the Cinderace vs. Urshifu wars and nobody would want either.

Well then they just straight up lied.

I feel like "The next fighter is from Capcom!" would be even crazier, because people would be divided between so many characters. You'd have people pushing for Mega Man X or Tron Bonne, others wanting a unique Street Fighter newcomer like Chun-Li or M. Bison, people who want a Resident Evil character to get promoted from spirit status (or Claire Redfield or Nemesis, I suppose), Dante fans, Morrigan fans (or people who want Demitri or Jon Talbain), people who want Strider Hiryu, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Viewtiful Joe, Zack and Wiki, the Smith Syndicate from Killer 7, Captain Commando, Amingo...
At least there'd be a case for more than 4 options.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

I feel like "The next fighter is from Capcom!" would be even crazier, because people would be divided between so many characters. You'd have people pushing for Mega Man X or Tron Bonne, others wanting a unique Street Fighter newcomer like Chun-Li or M. Bison, people who want a Resident Evil character to get promoted from spirit status, Dante fans, Morrigan fans, people who want Strider Hiryu, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Viewtiful Joe, Zack and Wiki, the Smith Syndicate from Killer 7, Captain Commando, Amingo...
Amingo would be a cool rep for the vs. Capcom series in general. Even though he only appeared MvC2, he could still bring songs from other Marvel vs Capcom games, the SNK vs Capcom series and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. If I recall correctly, Capcom owns the rights to all of these tracks.

Though honestly, from the patterns we're seeing, it looks like Sakurai just doesn't like to recognize other crossovers in his big hit crossover game. The only thing as close to recognition we've gotten is the mention of superheroes in Ryu's Palutena Guidance.

I could (and really want to) see Amingo and the other MvC2 original characters as Mii Costumes however. They could bring some really great MvC2 tracks with them. Desert Stage and Clock Tower Stage being my favourites.

I wonder what implications the sheer mention of "Marvel" in the info section of the track would bring though.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter what the series is, another guess who would suck so much. It only really works as a one time deal because it sets a pattern. Right now we can't tell if they would seriously go for the protagonist after all this time or go for a surprising pick that would warrant the whole ordeal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hot take: to me, there is no “protagonist” of ARMS. There’s an antagonist, sure (Dr. Coyle) but anyone else can be the protag.

Now, the poster boy and girl (aka on the game’s cover art) are Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. They’re an Assist Trophy and Mii Costume respectively so I doubt they’d make them playable after all this time since their “consolation prizes”.

I do however think it could set a precedent for a promotion (like a Spirit). Min Min is the most popular worldwide and won the final Party Crash, and if it IS her, or even Twintelle or Ninjara, it would mean Spirits are no longer “off the table” chances wise. say hello to Elma and Veemo babey

and DOUBLE hot take: even if it IS somehow Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, it does not in ANY way mean Rex is a lock. Or Dixie. Or Decidueye. Or anyone else who was “considered”. “Considered” doesn’t always mean “guaranteed to be revisited”. Some considered candidates have been revisited like Villager and Chrom, but don’t expect it to be the norm all the time.

drops mic

SKX31

Smash Master
Even crazier:

...Are we going to reach the point where Nintendo teases a League of Legends character and shows a picture of all 148 playable characters in that game? That would also be "Next fighter is from Capcom" caliber if not a bit crazier / heated. Because LoL has ca. 25 popular characters or so, Capcom would at least be (somewhat) expected, and League would likely be a promotional 3rd party for a franchise with no prior Nintendo presence (wouldn't be surprised personally if such a character was tied to a Switch game / port).

Though honestly, from the patterns we're seeing, it looks like Sakurai just doesn't like to recognize other crossovers in his big hit crossover game. The only thing as close to recognition we've gotten is the mention of superheroes in Ryu's Palutena Guidance.
Not sure about that personally. Sakurai might simply prioritize the series of origin and focus on that. Terry's trailer did show him face off against Ryu, Ken and Guile - so I don't get the impression that he ignores past crossovers.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
...Are we going to reach the point where Nintendo teases a League of Legends character and shows a picture of all 148 playable characters in that game? That would also be "Next fighter is from Capcom" caliber if not a bit crazier / heated. Because LoL has ca. 25 popular characters or so, Capcom would at least be (somewhat) expected, and League would likely be a promotional 3rd party for a franchise with no prior Nintendo presence.

Not sure about that personally. Sakurai might simply prioritize the series of origin and focus on that. Terry's trailer did show him face off against Ryu, Ken and Guile - so I don't get the impression that he ignores past crossovers.
Speaking of we never did hear back about that LoL rumor did we? It’s probably fake by this point anyway

SKX31

Smash Master
Speaking of we never did hear back about that LoL rumor did we? It’s probably fake by this point anyway
Not heard from that in a while. I still stand by my sceptical post in the LoL thread:

It's a really curious leak due to timing. What with Riot really likely to have something for the Nintendo Switch and all.

It'd also - as I've stated in the main thread - make sense due to a couple reasons: A) Riot's owner Tencent is Nintendo's partner in China. and B) It would come at a major sweet spot: Riot's expansion beyond the computer sphere.

However, the leak is still too dependent on stuff going its way for me to leap onto it. Not just Hollow Knight (Mii costume), but Riot's / Tencent's Switch plans also being related to Smash. There's no conclusive proof on either factor at the moment, nor strong hints.
LoL is possible, when Riot seriously made a Project M mod (that takes dedication), Tencent's hugging Nintendo like crazy at the moment and both Riot and Tencent likely have plans for the Switch. But as said, I won't count it as likely in the slightest unless we see actual movement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom