• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
amigo representing marvel vs.would just be wierd. someone like dante could be marvel vs and have his own series repped as well.

what people seem to forget is that theres no point in suggesting characters that don't have a musical library as well as some type of stage to pull from.

if capcom were to get someone its pretty easily narrowed down to chun-li. dante, phoenix wright, monster hunter, resident evil (easily the least likely), morrigan, or (if spirits are on the table) zero.

in terms of other big games getting in doom or halo are plausible.I don't think mk is due to how little mk is liked in japan. im just septic when it come to how fun a character like doomguy will be to play and use. Killer instinct went with arbiter as its halo character over chief becuase arbiter can do more. but killer instinct is also the most creative and diverse 2d fighter ive ever seen. they made general raam cool in a fighting game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hot take: to me, there is no “protagonist” of ARMS. There’s an antagonist, sure (Dr. Coyle) but anyone else can be the protag.
It's not so much of a hot take as it is a fact. Saying ARMS has a protagonist is like saying Smash has a protagonist. The words "protagonist" and "mascot" are not synonymous with one another.

Dr. Coyle is an antagonist, but only in the context of the Grand Prix. By definition, Max Brass is also an antagonist since he's a character who opposes the challenger; an antagonist isn't awarded that title based on how awful they are. Actually, I'm not even sure if Dr. Coyle would qualify as a villain either. They try to present her as one, but it doesn't seem like she's actually done anything that can be considered malicious or evil. The worst we see of her is a grudge toward Max Brass and an obvious hatred of losing.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
amigo representing marvel vs.would just be wierd. someone like dante could be marvel vs and have his own series repped as well... what people seem to forget is that theres no point in suggesting characters that don't have a musical library as well as some type of stage to pull from.
Stage:

Only song necessary:
Bonus song (to right past wrongs):

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Not sure about that personally. Sakurai might simply prioritize the series of origin and focus on that. Terry's trailer did show him face off against Ryu, Ken and Guile - so I don't get the impression that he ignores past crossovers.
I personally believe that he doesn't flat-out ignore past crossovers, for example we do get to see them referenced in the aforementioned Palutena Guidance and Character Trailer. It's just the fact that there's really no attempt to properly represent them. I think the issue lies in the fact that contact of more than one party is needed for them, thus making it harder. The fault isn't really on Sakurai himself, but the implications surrounding featuring something that is owned by two companies and not one.

We kinda see this with SNK's representation already. King of Fighters is technically one big SNK crossover, and even then Sakurai made sure to create an entire stage surrounding it. This was possible, because KOF is by nature a crossover between IPs of one singular company, being SNK. I feel like if he really did prioritize the series of origin, we would've seen way more Fatal Fury content instead of KOF. (like Terry's logo suggested)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
amigo representing marvel vs.would just be wierd. someone like dante could be marvel vs and have his own series repped as well.
I completely disagree. Dante being classified as a Marvel Vs. Capcom character would ignore Devil May Cry's history, and there's a very low chance that much of Marvel Vs. Capcom's music would even fit on Dante's stage were we to focus on Devil May Cry. If we weren't going to have an original character represent the series, Street Fighter would make a ton more sense to use tracks from them.

what people seem to forget is that theres no point in suggesting characters that don't have a musical library as well as some type of stage to pull from.
Well as far as Amingo goes, he's one of the few characters to have his own stage in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (the others being Ruby Heart, SonSon, and the final boss. Go figure.), and there are a decent bevvy of music to pull from the series even without going for the Marvel (or even other Capcom) character's themes. Though you do run into the Kingdom Hearts dilemma of "do we allow the use of the series's non-video game related elements and if we don't are we being disingenuous?"

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Alternatively: surprise, it's KOS-MOS!

I feel like "The next fighter is from Capcom!" would be even crazier, because people would be divided between so many characters. You'd have people pushing for Mega Man X or Tron Bonne, others wanting a unique Street Fighter newcomer like Chun-Li or M. Bison, people who want a Resident Evil character to get promoted from spirit status (or Claire Redfield or Nemesis, I suppose), Dante fans, Morrigan fans (or people who want Demitri or Jon Talbain), people who want Strider Hiryu, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Viewtiful Joe, Zack and Wiki, the Smith Syndicate from Killer 7, Captain Commando, Amingo...
Well, if you're going to include Amingo, don't forget Ruby Heart and Sonson too.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
-Cough- Those that really thought Byleth would get in by being in the background and swapping between the House Leaders when that makes no sense -Cough-
Forcing the Pokemon Trainer gimmick onto TH because people didn't want favoritism, or they didn't want Byleth going solo was dumb. It's not even a thing in Three Houses. Not to mention the dev team would've had to develop 3 fighters. It's hard for me to say how that could've played out in a DLC environment, but with Corona ****ing over everyone indiscriminately, probably not too well. And yet people kept pushing the concept until Sakurai revealed Byleth and I'm glad it was nothing like that.
There was also people limiting Byleth's moveset to just their skill strengths despite Byleth not even starting with Faith magic, or trying to make sense out of Divine Pulse which wasn't even touched upon. The former's limitations didn't appeal to me at all. I only really remember one guy on Youtube suggest Byleth using the TH lord's Hero Relics. Not sure how accurate the guy got it right compared with the official moveset.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
She's not from the Xenoblade Chronicles series though, and they probably wouldn't be able to advertise her as such.

Also that's a spoilery image.
My apologies; I'm not very far into Xenoblade 2, so I'm not sure which part's the spoiler. (Smash already revealed every single party member through the spirits, Shulk and Elma are DLC, KOS-MOS is a blade in the base game (albeit a rare one), and Rex has a different outfit than normal, but I know that characters and some blades like Pyra and Mythra get alternate costumes in the game)

I was trying to find an image that had KOS-MOS with Rex, Shulk, and/or Elma.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Surprisingly, there's actually another reference to the Vs. series beyond Ryu's Guidance. Ken's Shinryuken is based on its appearance in X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Sakurai even mentioned the Vs. series when discussing this move in the November Smash Ultimate Direct.

The April Smash for Wii U Direct also credits Mega Man's Mega Upper to Marvel vs. Capcom, but it's really from Mega Man: The Power Battle.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's not so much of a hot take as it is a fact. Saying ARMS has a protagonist is like saying Smash has a protagonist.
:ultkirby:*sad poyo*

My apologies; I'm not very far into Xenoblade 2, so I'm not sure which part's the spoiler. (Smash already revealed every single party member through the spirits, Shulk and Elma are DLC, KOS-MOS is a blade in the base game (albeit a rare one), and Rex has a different outfit than normal, but I know that characters and some blades like Pyra and Mythra get alternate costumes in the game)

I was trying to find an image that had KOS-MOS with Rex, Shulk, and/or Elma.
It's Rex's different outfit. The image didn't really show what it means (and it's certainly not as big of a deal as, say, Mecha-Fiora or some of Rex's other Blades), but I thought it was worth pointing out.

The April Smash for Wii U Direct also credits Mega Man's Mega Upper to Marvel vs. Capcom, but it's really from Mega Man: The Power Battle.
Oof. Between this, the Bright Man platforms being the wrong color (the green ones go back and fourth, the red ones drop you after moving in one direction), and the Mega Arm from Mega Man World V being referred to as the Hard Knuckle, Sakurai needs to play more Mega Man games.

EDIT: To be fair to him though, Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man World V aren't exactly the most well known Mega Man titles.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's not so much of a hot take as it is a fact. Saying ARMS has a protagonist is like saying Smash has a protagonist. The words "protagonist" and "mascot" are not synonymous with one another.

Dr. Coyle is an antagonist, but only in the context of the Grand Prix. By definition, Max Brass is also an antagonist since he's a character who opposes the challenger; an antagonist isn't awarded that title based on how awful they are. Actually, I'm not even sure if Dr. Coyle would qualify as a villain either. They try to present her as one, but it doesn't seem like she's actually done anything that can be considered malicious or evil. The worst we see of her is a grudge toward Max Brass and an obvious hatred of losing.
Not in-game. But in the game's lore she's pretty much the antagonist. Spying, stealing, infiltrating, experimenting. If she's not the antagonist she's atleast the most unethical scientist ever.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Looks like we are getting closer to the Arms reveal. Does anyone think we’ll get another Smash reveal? If so who?

Due to the pandemic, I don’t think they’ll be another reveal. Delays can be thanked for that me thinks. However, if there would be a reveal, I honestly could see Crash or another Nintendo character. Maybe the Gen 8 Pokémon? Time to start putting down our predictions.

My official prediction is Springman and no second reveal. Just a simple Sakurai presents video with a disclaimer about COVID-19

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well then they just straight up lied.
Not if you just consider Xenoblade a smaller part in the giant Xeno trend Monolith makes. :nifty: Gears, saga, blade, you could put "Xeno" in front of any word and Monolith will make a modern classic RPG with it.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Coyle is definitely a villain, which is why she's not likely in my book. A shame considering she is one of the only ARMS characters with somewhat of a backstory. Also we need more females and villains, so what would be better than a female villain?

I feel like "The next fighter is from Capcom!" would be even crazier, because people would be divided between so many characters. You'd have people pushing for Mega Man X or Tron Bonne, others wanting a unique Street Fighter newcomer like Chun-Li or M. Bison, people who want a Resident Evil character to get promoted from spirit status (or Claire Redfield or Nemesis, I suppose), Dante fans, Morrigan fans (or people who want Demitri or Jon Talbain), people who want Strider Hiryu, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Viewtiful Joe, Zack and Wiki, the Smith Syndicate from Killer 7, Captain Commando, Amingo...
If this happened the anticipation would probably kill me

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not if you just consider Xenoblade a smaller part in the giant Xeno trend Monolith makes. :nifty: Gears, saga, blade, you could put "Xeno" in front of any word and Monolith will make a modern classic RPG with it.
They are only the same series in that they are a series of spiritual successors made by the same company. Xenogears and Xenosaga have nothing else to do Xenoblade Chronicles, and more importantly, Monolith Soft doesn't own them.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

hey you know what

sure

we'd be spending months talking about the best characters

now who else is jin saotome gang?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
ARMS may not have a “protagonist” in game, but promotional materials at least suggest that Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the co-cover stars or “mascots”.

A protagonist is not always the mascot, nor is the mascot always the protagonist. That said, it’s relevant because of how characters have been selected for literally every series so far.

It may change, but why would it? Because Spring Man is an AT? Those circumstances may not be as relevant given the decision to make a 2nd wave, and the fact that Chrom can clap for Chrom posing with Robin after Robin calls Chrom to Final Smash Chrom for the win.

Thank you for coming to my abbreviated TED talk.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm suspecting that Sakurai is going to point out during an supposed presentation how it was easy to use Spring Man by disabling him as an assist trophy when playing as him such as Alucard on the Wii Fit stage or Knuckles on the Green Hill Zone.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
My top 5 guesses right now for the ARMS rep:

1. Springman
2. Min-Min
3. Biff
4. Helix
5. Ribbon Girl

Also saying no reveal this month although I think we're really close to seeing the next one

I'm suspecting that Sakurai is going to point out during an supposed presentation how it was easy to use Spring Man by disabling him as an assist trophy when playing as him.
Still thinking they'll just reskin it as Springtron personally

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
hey you know what

sure

we'd be spending months talking about the best characters

now who else is jin saotome gang?
Sorry. I'm Amaterasu all the way.

Neither would get picked anyway. The only less big characters they'd feasibly pick are Arthur and Morrigan but even then it's highly unlikely. I guess we'll get our chance...another day.

>Fap Favorite
We are just gonna keep proving @Madame Lesley point huh
Not sure what you mean, or that it was necessary to summon her over it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Surprisingly, there's actually another reference to the Vs. series beyond Ryu's Guidance. Ken's Shinryuken is based on its appearance in X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Sakurai even mentioned the Vs. series when discussing this move in the November Smash Ultimate Direct.

True, but the animation matches the MVC Mega Upper more, since it's even more similar to an SRK. Power Battle's version is a little more unique.

I fail to see the issue here. We stay Hunting Mavericks. And only the X-Buster in our hands knows when it stops.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don’t even remember the last time I was on this thread. Came back to see what’s changed around here, which I assume isn’t too much. But then again, with the current change from third party characters to first party, maybe this thread has changed a bit too.

I guess I’ll put my thoughts out on who I’d like to see as the ARMS character. And please, don’t take what I’m about to say too personally, none of us know more than the other.

So, the way I see it, there are 2 scenarios. One where some “rules” get broken and another where those “rules” don’t. By “rules” I mean, ATs and Spirits deconfirm characters (Which I don’t really follow this “rule”, but we have yet to see it broken so I might as well address it).

Scenario 1: The “rules” get broken, and we get our first fighter which also already has a Spirit in the base game, Min Min.
Scenario 2: The “rules” don’t get broken, and our ARMS representative is Kid Cobra. I know, not a popular pick. But honestly, I feel it would be par for the course. I can see them throwing us someone we didn’t expect (as if we expected an ARMS character at all after Spring Man was made an AT). So my gut instinct went with an unpopular pick out of left field.

Now I wouldn’t be surprised at all if I’m far off base from the correct character. This is just my clueless guess/pitch at who I think we could see. Honestly though, I have a feeling I’ll enjoy whichever member of the ARMS cast gets picked. There really aren’t many bad choices, so I’m just excited to see what happens.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ARMS may not have a “protagonist” in game, but promotional materials at least suggest that Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the co-cover stars or “mascots”.

A protagonist is not always the mascot, nor is the mascot always the protagonist. That said, it’s relevant because of how characters have been selected for literally every series so far.

It may change, but why would it? Because Spring Man is an AT? Those circumstances may not be as relevant given the decision to make a 2nd wave, and the fact that Chrom can clap for Chrom posing with Robin after Robin calls Chrom to Final Smash Chrom for the win.

Thank you for coming to my abbreviated TED talk.
This conversation made me remember when people argued that Robin and Lucina weren't the protagonists of Awakening.

Pretty sure, Chrom, Lucina and Robin are a trio of main characters. The story is about all three of them.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I was brainstorming how they could make Urshifu work as a stance fighter. What if there was a Galarian trainer who'd switch when certain moves were used? It's be like a more seamless pokemon switch, except the two Urishu forms are clones of eachother rather then completely different characters, like Ken to Ryu or Mario to Doc. This hypothetical moveset would work best if it learns moves switching moves like U-turn and Parting Shot.

Now I don't see this approach as at all likely when it'd be so much simpler to pick one form and stick with it, but hey, its less convoluted then the Cubfu idea at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom