• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You know I was joking when saying Dark Link gets his own slot, but now I wonder how it'd have been had we preserved Smash 4 Link as that.

Oh welp, Young Link shall suffice.

As used as I am to the current Zelda we have in Smash, I can relate. She's the second best Zelda we've had in the series.

Best is Spirit Tracks Zelda. You can't change my mind.
The best Zelda is clearly Hilda.

H comes before Z, look it up!

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
A big part of me just wishes that the ARMS character was revealed already so the debate on wether it'll be one or multiple as alts can end.
Gotta catch all 'em waifus and husbandos.
*Gotta catch all Camillas and... -quickly checks the FEH wiki to see which male has the most alts- Hectors/Chroms/Ikes/Marths!

If you wanna count the TMS Mirages of the characters, then Chrom has the most.
Hero's Spirit/Ancient Hero/Hero's Shade?
-Ahem- :ultyounglink:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A big part of me just wishes that the ARMS character was revealed already so the debate on wether it'll be one or multiple as alts can end.
Well if Sakurai's workaholism outpowers corona, they very well could be on schedule for when E3 was, the 9th of June.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
This fighter's arms can extend.png

Now that I look back on the presentation, the wording seems to imply that it'll only be one character.

If it was multiple characters, wouldn't it say "these fighter's arms can extend"?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I got a decent game. I hope it's good.

Make a fighters pass using the top six "gun wielding" characters you'd like to see in Super Smash Bros Ultimate so anyone who fights using guns or any kind of weapon that shoots bullets or lasers beams (Like Samus, Joker, Bayonetta or Inklings) is fair game. I'll give you all an example.

1. Cormano (Sunset Riders)
2. John Raimi (Geist)
3. Doom Guy (DOOM)
4. Gunstar Red/Blue (Gunstar Heroes)
5. The Dude (Postal 2)
6. SGT. CORTEZ! (TimeSplitters)

YEAH! IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!
View attachment 273039
This is pretty easy for me, since four of the six characters in my signature use some kind of gun.

1. Geno
2. Doomguy
3. Dante
4. Elma
5. Chell (Portal, at least if Still Alive is any indication)
6. Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness)

If I have to leave out the characters in my signature...

1. Chell
2. Alexandra Roivas
3. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra - also, as close as we'll ever get to having Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger in Smash)
4. Master Chief
5. Joanna Dark
6. John Raimi (Geist)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If it was multiple characters, wouldn't it say "these fighter's arms can extend"?
Um ackshuallay, it would say "These fighters' arms can exteeeend!".

More seriously though, alternate costumes aren't counted as separate fighters, so the wording still holds up regardless of which route they take.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Well if Sakurai's workaholism outpowers corona, they very well could be on schedule for when E3 was, the 9th of June.

This pretty much tells me it could go either way, but that development is still going.
View attachment 273064

Now that I look back on the presentation, the wording seems to imply that it'll only be one character.

Yeah, I'm part of the people that thinks it'll be just one character.

The most I can see in the multiple alts situation is Springman with Springtron and maybe, just maybe, Ribbon Girl, only because she's also basic and her special ability isn't so special in Smash.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
The Geno thread wouldn't be so bad if the users there would (1) learn how to ignore trolls, and (2) realize that there's a world outside of Geno.

I can't remember the last time they had a positive, supportive reaction to a new character. The best they could say about ARMS is that Spirits may not be deconfirmations, and Geno would be more likely if that were true.
After some drama, mods clamped down on any topics that weren't strictly related to Geno in the Geno thread a while back. So the thread being Geno-centric is just users using the thread correctly.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Um ackshuallay, it would say "These fighters' arms can exteeeend!".

More seriously though, alternate costumes aren't counted as separate fighters, so the wording still holds up regardless of which route they take.
Doesn't Hero count as more than one fighter? I mean I know they're just reskins but they're different characters with different voices.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Doesn't Hero count as more than one fighter? I mean I know they're just reskins but they're different characters with different voices.
Nope, if so the Koopalings and Alph would also count as separate fighters.

And the gendered alts if you're generous.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
No. All four of them are considered to be fighter #72.
Nope, if so the Koopalings and Alph would also count as separate fighters.

And the gendered alts if you're generous.
Wait! I know that! I mean ignoring being fighter #72 and just in general like maybe if Hero was introduced the same way as ARMS! I don't know but I swear I wasn't trying to say somethng dumb.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wait! I know that! I mean ignoring being fighter #72 and just in general like maybe if Hero was introduced the same way as ARMS! I don't know but I swear I wasn't trying to say somethng dumb.
I'm not saying you're logic is dumb (it makes perfect sense), just that since any number of alts will be considered to be the same fighter (or more accurately, the same moveset) the singular wording still applies regardless of how many ARMS characters are alts.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean ignoring being fighter #72 and just in general like maybe if Hero was introduced the same way as ARMS!
Then that would just be having alt skins like Hero, it's not anything brand new or spectacularly never done before. They are counted as separate characters, but not in a way that matters. They divide them in the files (or sound files at least).

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
View attachment 273064

I mean, you're right with that but to be fair they wouldn't be so dumb to say that in plural and give away the surprise, if there's a surprise to begin with, of course.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm not saying you're logic is dumb (it makes perfect sense), just that since any number of alts will be considered to be the same fighter (or more accurately, the same moveset) the singular wording still applies regardless of how many ARMS characters are alts.
Then that would just be having alt skins like Hero, it's not anything brand new or spectacularly never done before. They are counted as separate characters, but not in a way that matters. They divide them in the files (or sound files at least).
Alright I think I've figured out what I'm trying to say. Hypothetically if the Hero's were to be introduced the same way (with us not knowing if they were going to be a singular hero or multiple heroes) like the ARMS fighters are, would they be announced as "This fighter's" or "These fighters'"?

I mean, you're right with that but to be fair they wouldn't be so dumb to say that in plural and give away the surprise, if there's a surprise to begin with, of course.
To be fair, it'd still be a surprise since we don't know which fighters will be picked. It'd just make it clear that we're getting multiple characters while now it most likely refers to one character getting in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hypothetically if the Hero's were to be introduced the same way (with us not knowing if they were going to be a singular hero or multiple heroes) like the ARMS fighters are, would they be announced as "This fighter's" or "These fighters'"?
If it was done "the same way", then just rewatch the Hero trailer and watch how they did it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright I think I've figured out what I'm trying to say. Hypothetically if the Hero's were to be introduced the same way (with us not knowing if they were going to be a singular hero or multiple heroes) like the ARMS fighters are, would they be announced as "This fighter's" or "These fighters'"?
My guess would be that if they showed us the entire roster of heroes, they'd probably still say something like "This fighter casts a lot of spells!" with the reasoning that they count all four alts as one fighter.

We still could get just a single ARMS character, but I don't think the singular wording gives this away.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
View attachment 273064

Keep in mind, Japanese as a language is very tricky when it comes to plurals. There's no way to really denote whether a noun is singular or plural purely using language, you have to instead rely on the context of the situation to determine how many of said noun there are. As such, unless the Direct's translator(s) knows exactly what's going on with the ARMS character, they're making a judgement call on whether to use a singular or plural for this sentence. Something similar happened at the Smash E3 Tournament, where Sakurai was mistranslated to imply that only one character would be revealed at the E3 event.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
When it comes to the ARMS character I know obviously they haven’t told us who it is and everyone is speculating who is the most likely and all that, but have we ever gotten a character for a new series that wasn’t the “face” of the series?

I’ve never played ARMS before, but doesn’t everyone associate the series with Spring Man? Do people mostly just think he’s unlikely because he’s an AT?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
When it comes to the ARMS character I know obviously they haven’t told us who it is and everyone is speculating who is the most likely and all that, but have we ever gotten a character for a new series that wasn’t the “face” of the series?

I’ve never played ARMS before, but doesn’t everyone associate the series with Spring Man? Do people mostly just think he’s unlikely because he’s an AT?
People here don't think he's unlikely, just that there's a chance he won't be picked.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Sure, but people also need to stop being dismissive toward those who want more Zelda characters just because they personally believe the stages and Spirits should be enough for fans. It's also unfair for people to automatically lump anyone who wants more Zelda characters with those who complain about the amount of FE content just for the sake of making an argument. Not everyone falls in both categories.

I'm grateful that Zelda has a lot of content outside the roster, but I believe we're long overdue for another character. We haven't gotten a truly unique character since Melee, and that feels odd for such a large and successful franchise with so many unique options. I don't consider that unappreciative or selfish, and I'm tired of people presenting it as such.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I'm just terrible at putting it into words that don't come off as abrasive. Then people strart that same song and dance about "this is better" and " look at all this" while not so subtlety implying that "you're an ingrate" routine they've done since Brawl.

That's usually when things start to flying into the fan for me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Do people mostly just think he’s unlikely because he’s an AT?
They're hoping for a character they think is cooler, even though Smash has never gone for such a character as rep number 1.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984

The thing with ARMS is that rather than a full fledged series, it's so far a sole game that could develop into a series. Now it's clear that Springman was intended to be the game's Ryu: the most basic character who would serve as a mascot and be used in advertisements; I don't doubt his current position as both an Assist Trophy and a costume are due to that.

But... We have no clue how it'll develop in the future, for all we know, it could either keep Springman as such, or become a Darkstalkers case, where Demitri was meant to be the main character but Morrigan overtook the role thanks to popularity.

And if you want to stretch things out, pun not intended, in-universe the macot of the ARMS tournament in Max Brass.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

They also very blatantly say "a fighter from ARMS" in numerous occasions, iirc.

Bowser jr treatment is alt not separate characters
It's more or less the same thing when it comes to marketing the character, because the alt itself is still a character who isn't the one considered the "default"

If Richter was just an alt of Simon rather than an Echo, the trailer likely wouldn't have changed that much from what we got.

Bowser Jr.'s trailer from Smash 4 is also a good example, because the Koopalings were given their own little time in the spotlight to showcase that yes, you can play as Larry. :p

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Little did we know that Ganondorf spent all of his time studying the blade so that he could dominate the competition with it in Smash Ultimate smh.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind, Japanese as a language is very tricky when it comes to plurals. There's no way to really denote whether a noun is singular or plural purely using language, you have to instead rely on the context of the situation to determine how many of said noun there are. As such, unless the Direct's translator(s) knows exactly what's going on with the ARMS character, they're making a judgement call on whether to use a singular or plural for this sentence. Something similar happened at the Smash E3 Tournament, where Sakurai was mistranslated to imply that only one character would be revealed at the E3 event.
As an addendum to your argument, isn't this the reason why Pokemon plurals are so strange? I've always assumed the reason we call multiples of Rattata the same thing and not "Rattatas" is because the translations are based on how they handle multiple units in Japan.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As an addendum to your argument, isn't this the reason why Pokemon plurals are so strange? I've always assumed the reason we call multiples of Rattata the same thing and not "Rattatas" is because the translations are based on how they handle multiple units in Japan.
I always thought it was just a moose kinda situation. No meeses. No mooses. Just moose. I wouldn't be surprised if it was on a name by name basis: one Mr. Mime, two Mr. Mimes. One Stantler, two Stantler. That kinda thing. Or they could have just not bothered. I don't really know.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I haven't been posting much here for the past two days given I've been too busy thinking and posting ideal Lost Tapes synopsis' on DeviantArt. What have I been missing out on discussion?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Yes.

That and because "they wouldn't have made us guess if it was Spring Man"

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Yes.

That and because "they wouldn't have made us guess if it was Spring Man"
I mean, I mostly agree with you. But I could also see Sakurai totally doing something like that to.

“An ARMS character is coming guys! Who could it possibly be!? Spring Man!!! I bet you guys didn’t think it would be someone so simple and who is already an AT!”

Hell, I could see Sakurai thinking it’s pretty clever because some people would automatically discount him because of his AT status.

And for the record I don’t really care which ARMS rep gets in, but I’m just leaning towards Spring Man because he’s the face of the franchise. At some point I’ll get around to playing that game.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
All I know is, whoever the ARMS character is, people will say it was extremely obvious to anyone with half a brain, which totally includes me. Ignore all the posts I deleted, of course I could tell it was [REDACTED] all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom