• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Welp, I never thought I was gonna post this meme I did long back here, but oh welp.
I fully understand that playable characters aren't the only content that represents a franchise. I'm like the only person left here that believes spirits and assist trophies deconfirm and believe that game would be ruined if one were to be promoted. Still, it would've been nice to at least have one Zelda newcomer since the series is full of interesting and lovable characters that would have been a celebrated addition.

Zelda is more based around items and exploration.
This again? Do you people actually play Zelda or did I play different games?

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
The Geno rights situation seem weird to me. Obviously Square owns the character, but he’s also a Mario character.

So if Square wanted to just make a game starring Geno would they even be allowed to do that as long as there are no other Mario connections in that game, or is he only allowed to be used in a Mario game? Because as far as I know besides SMRPG his only other appearance was in Mario and Luigi, which obviously is a Mario game.

Poor Geno is just stuck in some weird limbo. Nintendo seems pretty content in creating their own Mario RPG games and not getting other third party companies involved anymore.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Did you even read MeteoRain's post all the way? That "luxurious content we take for granted" is the non-fighter stuff.
That image illustrates just exactly what that "luxurious content we take for granted" is.

FE's equivalent is
- 4 stages (down from 9)
- 3 assists (1 less)
- 1 item (down from 8)
- no boss fight
- no dedicated WoL area
- about 90 spirits (there's no significant trade-off here)
- two mii costumes (down from five full fledged costumes and three hats)
- 52 music tracks (up from 45)

trading Zelda's content for FE's just makes Zelda's representation even worse

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This again? Do you people actually play Zelda or did I play different games?
So literally the core point of the series? It's always been about items and exploration.

That doesn't mean they implement it well every time. The DS games, especially Spirit Tracks, had awful exploration. It's why the game series gets labeled as an RPG, since that's a big part of what RPG's are, exploration of the world. Final Fantasy 13 got panned specifically for being so linear you couldn't explore the world. It had other issues too, but that's one reason people didn't like it.

Story is a secondary thing and it didn't feature much of one till ALTTP. That's important too, but the series was clearly built on items and exploration. BOTW is practically a 3D Zelda 1 in many ways, to further emphasize that. Even the linear games still require some exploration regardless. It's why every dungeon has all kinds of nooks and crannies, secret passages filled with items.

I've played the series from the start. Only spin-offs deviate from the core formula of items + exploration. Even the worst overworld of all time, Spirit Tracks, still has exploration there. Items are clearly more important, though.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Ehhhhhhh hard disagree, I may not be too invested about Zelda Newcomer arguments as most, but this gives off "Metroid only having Samus is very good because the games are about isolation" vibes
To be fair the only reason why it took so long for us to get Ridley was more because the devs were wondering how to implement him while keeping his intimidating boss nature. It's why he was a boss in Brawl and Smash 4 and where the "too big" meme came from.
Yeah, Zelda is about the items; but there's no reason all 3 Link's can't be completely unique from each other in terms of arsenal. Adult Link is fine, Young Link should have gotten a moveset based on Majora's Mask, Toon Link could totally have Deku leaf and controlling the wind with Wind Waker. They all have enough differences to have completely unique items, but instead they stick with bombs/arrows/boomerangs.
Problem is Sakurai's philosophy of not changing the characters moveset too much.

The thing is that Young Link isn't based on Majora's Mask because he was a late addition to Melee to pad the roster, and Toon Link had a similar thing in Brawl, being a low priority semi-clone who barely made the cut. I'd rather have them more based on their respective games as well, even if I get why they're the way they are.

It's why we've been stuck with Captain Falcondorf for long.
And yet the Links got copy pasted custom specials in Smash Wii U instead of using their various unique equipment. You know, the ones the games are all about.
See my reply above.

I agree the playable representation could be better, but calling Zelda underrepresented in general is quite untrue.

Droodle

Smash Lord
The Geno rights situation seem weird to me. Obviously Square owns the character, but he’s also a Mario character.

So if Square wanted to just make a game starring Geno would they even be allowed to do that as long as there are no other Mario connections in that game, or is he only allowed to be used in a Mario game? Because as far as I know besides SMRPG his only other appearance was in Mario and Luigi, which obviously is a Mario game.

Poor Geno is just stuck in some weird limbo. Nintendo seems pretty content in creating their own Mario RPG games and not getting other third party companies involved anymore.
Who even knows at this point?

The Geno thread insists that Square fully owns the character, but they can't use him outside of Mario stuff. But that's the Geno thread. It's equally as likely that Square could use Geno in their own stuff, but they choose not to.

Let's be honest, Geno isn't this huge paragon of gaming like a lot of people believe. Square really has no reason to put out Geno content on their own, other then appeasing a loud group of fans; and outside of Smash Geno has barely any demand to be in anything.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I think some users can be too cocky, but it’s not much different from how some conversations go in this thread to be honest. I do think people should have more of an open mind, though. I remember a few dudes being assuming of you and being rude, though, and that was very much unneeded.

Otherwise I think the Geno thread gets too much crap. Sometimes people can be overly defensive in there when a new dude comes in asking “why Geno?” I guess (tbh I don’t remember many cases of this, maybe one or two at most), though usually they’ll happily answer and only get mad when the person starts seeming rude or keep asking the same question over and over as if the answers they got, explaining exactly why people like Geno, weren’t enough, while seeming to word things rudely themselves.

Yes, people should ignore trolls, but it’s sometimes hard to resist even if you’re aware of that...and it doesn’t help that plenty of rude people have come in there before so personally I don’t really blame anyone in there for being on-edge (except in the case of being rude to someone for not talking about Geno much I guess, like how you were since I don’t recall you being rude to anyone, and it tends to be off-topic a lot anyway but still related to Geno’s chances and stuff mostly) even if I do think they should be calm about things. The “on-edge” people are just a few of them though and they still don’t deserve to be treated as a laughing stock or cult or whatever bullcrap people have come up.
and as I said, Im sure there are nice people there and I understand them but that still doesn't give them an excuse to act like that. That kind of attitude comes off and rude and can easily make a person or group extreamly unlikeable. I have told them several time that even tho I want Sora, Ill support them for Geno only to get hit with something along the lines of "Why are you even here if you dont want Geno?"

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think I got a decent game. I hope it's good.

Make a fighters pass using the top six "gun wielding" characters you'd like to see in Super Smash Bros Ultimate so anyone who fights using guns or any kind of weapon that shoots bullets or lasers beams (Like Samus, Joker, Bayonetta or Inklings) is fair game. I'll give you all an example.

1. Cormano (Sunset Riders)
2. John Raimi (Geist)
3. Doom Guy (DOOM)
4. Gunstar Red/Blue (Gunstar Heroes)
5. The Dude (Postal 2)
6. SGT. CORTEZ! (TimeSplitters)

YEAH! IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!
It's time to split fast.gif

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
IMO, the problem is that Zelda isn't underrepped; it's just not diverse.

Yeah, Zelda is about the items; but there's no reason all 3 Link's can't be completely unique from each other in terms of arsenal. Adult Link is fine, Young Link should have gotten a moveset based on Majora's Mask, Toon Link could totally have Deku leaf and controlling the wind with Wind Waker. They all have enough differences to have completely unique items, but instead they stick with bombs/arrows/boomerangs.

It could stand to gain 1 more character, but the focus should be giving all the link's their own identity. They play differently, but that's mostly due to speed rather then there actual moveset. Remote bombs were super refreshing.
I remember back in Brawl how shocked I was that Toon Link had not only few unique moves and the same items.

He didn't even have his signature Hurricane Spin for a canon Final Smash. It was perfectly flashy and he had it since his debut in Wind Waker.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing is that Young Link isn't based on Majora's Mask because he was a late addition to Melee to pad the roster, and Toon Link had a similar thing in Brawl, being a low priority semi-clone who barely made the cut. I'd rather have them more based on their respective games as well, even if I get why they're the way they are.

Fun fact: In JP Melee, Young Link's trophy states OOT and MM as Young Link's games he's from. This is however only represented by his stage and smaller tidbits like trophies/songs/etc. But MM was lightly kept in mind.

It's too bad he doesn't have any changes in his aesthetic from MM in Ultimate though. Could've used the Mirror Shield from it, some taunts. But this might be exactly why Tingle only appears in his MM incarnation as a Spirit, since he's a stage element(not really a hazard?) in Great Bay.

...I'd take Tingle as a MM rep, though, if Young Link has no chance.

Another fun fact: Toon Link used some of Young Link's assets too, not just regular Link. I don't know how much was even retooled from Link either. The only thing of note besides data SourceGaming found is that Toon Link's page on the Brawl website is he has the same special moves out of "tradition". I forget if it said it was clone-related or not, though.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair the only reason why it took so long for us to get Ridley was more because the devs were wondering how to implement him while keeping his intimidating boss nature. It's why he was a boss in Brawl and Smash 4 and where the "too big" meme came from.

Problem is Sakurai's philosophy of not changing the characters moveset too much.

See my reply above.

I agree the playable representation could be better, but calling Zelda underrepresented in general is quite untrue.
Ok but people said that for more than just Ridley, they said it for literally any Metroid suggestion, saying Zelda's not about the characters therefore it's current characters are plenty just doesn't vibe with me as it's the same argument

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I haven't posted in here before, but I've been lurking and I'd like to say that I don't see the problem with wanting at least one or two more Zelda characters. I get that the games are usually based more around exploration, solving puzzles and dungeons, but it's not like there's no interesting enough characters that you interact with.
Looking at Midna for example, one character that I see tend to get brought up when a "new Zelda rep" comes up, is, while not playable, someone that sticks with you through the whole game in TP, so of course people would get attached to her. In Hyrule Warriors, she's already playable, and going from that game and TP I think she'd have a pretty fun moveset to boot. Speaking of HW, that game is full of characters that could be nice in Smash, and aren't just variations of Link, Zelda or Ganon(dorf). Point is, rather than just getting more characters to "get more rep", it'd be cool to see these for their own right as individual characters.
I'll say though, I'm glad there's a lot of stuff in the game regardless. It'd just be cool to play as another one, you know?

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
That image illustrates just exactly what that "luxurious content we take for granted" is.

FE's equivalent is
- 4 stages (down from 9)
- 3 assists (1 less)
- 1 item (down from 8)
- no boss fight
- no dedicated WoL area

That an opinion.

Speak for yourself.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Make a fighters pass using the top six "gun wielding" characters you'd like to see in Super Smash Bros Ultimate so anyone who fights using guns or any kind of weapon that shoots bullets or lasers beams (Like Samus, Joker, Bayonetta or Inklings) is fair game. I'll give you all an example.

2. John Raimi (Geist)
3. Doom Guy (DOOM)
5. The Dude (Postal 2)

View attachment 273039
  1. Min Min (ARMS) AAAYYYYY GETTING BY ON A TECHNICALITY! :p
  2. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
  3. Master Chief (Halo)
  4. Jill (Resident Evil)
  5. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  6. Octoling (Splatoon)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
and as I said, Im sure there are nice people there and I understand them but that still doesn't give them an excuse to act like that. That kind of attitude comes off and rude and can easily make a person or group extreamly unlikeable. I have told them several time that even tho I want Sora, Ill support them for Geno only to get hit with something along the lines of "Why are you even here if you dont want Geno?"
Yeah I understand, tbh I really don’t understand why those dudes were mad at you. They had no good reason from what I saw, what I said about me not blaming them for being “on-edge” or whatever was for some other stuff, though I do think they should be calmer about those things but admittedly I’ve been hot-headed towards trolls and seemingly rude people in the past even if I try to stay calm...

Honestly I’m just scared people are gonna generalize everyone in there again (which would include me since I also want Geno and lurk in there and say some stuffs) and start with the “lol Geno thread cultists” and whatever again.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Who even knows at this point?

The Geno thread insists that Square fully owns the character, but they can't use him outside of Mario stuff. But that's the Geno thread. It's equally as likely that Square could use Geno in their own stuff, but they choose not to.

Let's be honest, Geno isn't this huge paragon of gaming like a lot of people believe. Square really has no reason to put out Geno content on their own, other then appeasing a loud group of fans; and outside of Smash Geno has barely any demand to be in anything.
This is probably closer to the Bayonetta 2 clause, really. Bayonetta 2 itself cannot be sold on another system besides Nintendo, but they don't own the actual character. Geno is still a Mario character, so the agreement is most likely "must be in a Mario game" overall. Or at least a Nintendo-specific cameo. There might be more to it than that.

Basically, you can hold the rights to a distribution of a game without holding the rights to a particular character. This could also apply for SMRPG, and considering it stars Mario, it's rather expected it's "Nintendo-only". But that's just my theory on what it could possibly be.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I had this on my mind a bit: I think ATs and Spirits are looked at too strictly when it comes to whether characters can get in or not.

Personally I think it doesn’t matter at all. The DLC was being planned and stuff sometime after Ultimate’s basegame was finished, and we already have cases of characters taking on multiple roles. Would it be weird if the AT showed up while the fighter was on stage? Sure, but they could just have the AT be disabled when the fighter is chosen, like Toon Link on Spirit Tracks becoming Alfonso when you play as Toon Link. Or do what other games do, if they don’t just do the same thing.

Really, I think the only reason why we didn’t get any AT promotions in Smash 4 was because other characters were prioritized; meaning, even if the AT characters weren’t ATs, they wouldn’t have been added anyway. We didn’t get any in Pass 1 because it was planned alongside part of the basegame’s development as well as the priority reason (plus I believe ARMS just helps strengthen this line of thinking since they could’ve put it in Pass 1 but no).

Could the same happen here? Of course, I’m not arguing against that, but it feels a bit too simplified and not very thoughtful or whatever (not exactly sure what words to use here) to say AT and Spirit characters can’t get in because “they’re already an AT and/or a Spirit.”

I think some users can be too cocky, but it’s not much different from how some conversations go in this thread to be honest. I do think people should have more of an open mind, though. I remember a few dudes being assuming of you and being rude, though, and that was very much unneeded.

Otherwise I think the Geno thread gets too much crap. Sometimes people can be overly defensive in there when a new dude comes in asking “why Geno?” I guess (tbh I don’t remember many cases of this, maybe one or two at most), though usually they’ll happily answer and only get mad when the person starts seeming rude or keep asking the same question over and over as if the answers they got, explaining exactly why people like Geno, weren’t enough, while seeming to word things rudely themselves.

Yes, people should ignore trolls, but it’s sometimes hard to resist even if you’re aware of that...and it doesn’t help that plenty of rude people have come in there before so personally I don’t really blame anyone in there for being on-edge (except in the case of being rude to someone for not talking about Geno much I guess, like how you were since I don’t recall you being rude to anyone, and it tends to be off-topic a lot anyway but still related to Geno’s chances and stuff mostly) even if I do think they should be calm about things. The “on-edge” people are just a few of them though and they still don’t deserve to be treated as a laughing stock or cult or whatever bullcrap people have come up.

Geno has had fans before Brawl, and iirc Sakurai didn’t say anything about Geno until Smash 4. He said he wanted him in Brawl in that same column. People like Geno because they genuinely like him, not because Sakurai said something about him and now they have to push for him. Sakurai’s comments did give people more hope and make them more confident in Ultimate speculation, but they genuinely want him. Not much different from Phil Spencer giving Banjo-Kazooie fans more hope and enough faith to feel it worthwhile speaking up and campaigning.

There are other Mario characters people including Geno fans would like as well, but still. SMRPG has also become better known nowadays even if it’s still not near as big as other Mario games.

Also, he does legally belong to the Mario series, he just isn’t owned by Nintendo due to weird rights stuff; but he’s still exclusive to the series, even in Smash where he and Mallow have the mushroom icon. He’s not just a standard side-character, either, being a party member and important to the plot.

Regarding Zelda stuff, a lot of people just want a new, unique Zelda character as a fighter, not caring about the series’ representation elsewhere when it comes to fighters. Most of these people also each want a specific character or multiple; for me, I’d really like Skull Kid and Midna.
Open mind is the right word, everyone could use a bit of that.

The other day in the Geno thread, a ton of people got upset because I suggested that there is a possibility that character 7 won't be revealed in the ARMS presentation. I said it's unlikely (and that I personally do expect 7 to show up), but just keep an open mind and realize we're in a pandemic; sure Sakurai said that character development is going smoothly, but that doesn't mean things like potential reveal trailers are going to plan (or that Character 7 was planned to be in the ARMS presentation in the first place). It's completely possible we see the ARMS presentation, and then 2 weeks later we see the fighter 7 reveal. And somehow suggesting this possibility was a completely absurd thought.

Then someone else suggests that we may get 3 reveals, and the thread just states that that's unlikely "but completely reasonable".
duwang.jpg

The thread is fine for the most, but like others have suggested they need to learn how to ignore trolls and that there is a world outside of Geno and Smash (and Nintendo for that matter). Someone else brought up that every character thread needs to learn that; and while I do agree with it, as a Geno thread regular, I'd say it's doubly true for the Geno thread. Whenever a troll comes in or someone asks "why Geno?" instead of ignoring the user, the thread gets derailed for multiple pages before a thread regular inevitably posts "You know who should be in Smash, Geno!" and everyone forgets about it until another troll comes in.

This is probably closer to the Bayonetta 2 clause, really. Bayonetta 2 itself cannot be sold on another system besides Nintendo, but they don't own the actual character. Geno is still a Mario character, so the agreement is most likely "must be in a Mario game" overall. Or at least a Nintendo-specific cameo. There might be more to it than that.

Basically, you can hold the rights to a distribution of a game without holding the rights to a particular character. This could also apply for SMRPG, and considering it stars Mario, it's rather expected it's "Nintendo-only". But that's just my theory on what it could possibly be.
Yeah and I'm not denying that, but unlike Bayonetta we have 0 proof of that. There's literally no way to know until Square/Nintendo state it publically. It may be because they aren't allowed to, or it may be because Square doesn't want to bother with him.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I haven't posted in here before, but I've been lurking and I'd like to say that I don't see the problem with wanting at least one or two more Zelda characters. I get that the games are usually based more around exploration, solving puzzles and dungeons, but it's not like there's no interesting enough characters that you interact with.
Looking at Midna for example, one character that I see tend to get brought up when a "new Zelda rep" comes up, is, while not playable, someone that sticks with you through the whole game in TP, so of course people would get attached to her. In Hyrule Warriors, she's already playable, and going from that game and TP I think she'd have a pretty fun moveset to boot. Speaking of HW, that game is full of characters that could be nice in Smash, and aren't just variations of Link, Zelda or Ganon(dorf). Point is, rather than just getting more characters to "get more rep", it'd be cool to see these for their own right as individual characters.
I'll say though, I'm glad there's a lot of stuff in the game regardless. It'd just be cool to play as another one, you know?
I don't think anyone's against a Zelda newcomer so much as it is that the more vocal support is just loaded with toxic attitudes. Like, people can campaign for a Zelda newcomer without having to whine about anything else and it'd be far more constructive to do that than to have yet another FE vs Zelda debate.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Yeah I understand, tbh I really don’t understand why those dudes were mad at you. They had no good reason from what I saw, what I said about me not blaming them for being “on-edge” or whatever was for some other stuff, though I do think they should be calmer about those things but admittedly I’ve been hot-headed towards trolls and seemingly rude people in the past even if I try to stay calm...

Honestly I’m just scared people are gonna generalize everyone in there again (which would include me since I also want Geno and lurk in there and say some stuffs) and start with the “lol Geno thread cultists” and whatever again.
I honestly dont want them to be known as cultists and I 100% wish some of the users all the luck in the world on getting their character in smash but I only wish the nice folk luck. I know how petty that sounds and im sorry

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's kinda like how Alpharad puts it: FE is more focused on character investment and interactions, Zelda is more based around items and exploration. So it having the second most items, stages and Assist Trophies seems well enough.
This reminds me of the argument from the Smash 4 days that Metroid's based around exploration and a sense of isolation, so that means that Samus should be the only playable Metroid character.

Either way, it seems like a poor way to justify a pretty major Nintendo series not getting any new playable characters in Smash Bros., especially when (in this case) Hyrule Warriors showed that there are a ton of possibilities outside of the Triforce trio.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah and I'm not denying that, but unlike Bayonetta we have 0 proof of that. There's literally no way to know until Square/Nintendo state it publically. It may be because they aren't allowed to, or it may be because Square doesn't want to bother with him.
Agreed. The only thing we know is SE is blatantly involved and that's it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That an opinion.

Speak for yourself.
I mean, it's still hard facts that some numbers are bigger and some are smaller and when tallied, it's less overall, that's not an opinion
One issue is that for some reason nobody can think of who they'd want for one offs, which is especially true for Nintendo, they can re-use Vaati, Ghirahim, Midna, Fi, anyone, but they don't like doing that for some reason

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's fine if you don't feel like the lack of Zelda newcomers is a pressing issue, but please don't be that person who says, "Look at all the stages and items it has. It's fine as is and it doesn't really need any more characters."

Characters have always been what people cared the most about, and it's not fair to act like everyone should feel like the current cast is "good enough".

Heoj

Smash Ace
look fam I understand, but no, that doesnt excuse the passive agressive attitudes. Im sorry, im sure some of them are good people But they are really cocky and such but they fail to understand that they are. And I dont know a single person on earth that Likes overly cocky and passive agressive people
Okay, so from what ive seen from your interactions with the geno thread, some people get annoyed at the fact that you barely really talked about geno like... ever. I dont think theres anything wrong with you not directly ever talking about the character(though you probably should since why else do you even visit the thread) but the way you are painting the thread is just plain wrong imo.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
It's underrepresented in the way most people care about.
6 characters is definitely not underrepresentation, especially with how they're not covering just one instalment like previous games:
  1. Link represents the recent titles with Breath of the Wild
  2. Zelda represents both A Link Between Worlds and A Link to the Past
  3. Toon Link represents a frequently used art style in the series
  4. Ganondorf and Young Link represent the N64 games.
  5. Sheik is... Sheik.
That the execution has been lacking, on the other hand, that is something to agree. Link stuck with N64 moveset just updated with Remote Bombs, Toon Link and Young Link stuck as semi-clones barely having stuff from their source material, Zelda with Link's OoT spells and only one thing related to an incarnation of her, Ganondorf stuck as a Captain Falcon semi-clone and Sheik being almost fully made up.

It's less quantity and more how it's been done.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Okay, so from what ive seen from your interactions with the geno thread, some people get annoyed at the fact that you barely really talked about geno like... ever. I dont think theres anything wrong with you not directly ever talking about the character(though you probably should since why else do you even visit the thread) but the way you are painting the thread is just plain wrong imo.
I mean, I just said it. I come to the thread to support yall. Yeah I talk about bull**** that isnt directly connected to Geno and thats my fault but The one time I did, I was freaking mocked indirectly from someone saying "Omg, for the first time ever, professor actually typed the word "geno"!"

How am I supposed to stay on yalls side if you do that

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wait hold up, am I reading this right, the Geno thread complained about someone not having voiced opinions on Geno prior to posting there?

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone's against a Zelda newcomer so much as it is that the more vocal support is just loaded with toxic attitudes. Like, people can campaign for a Zelda newcomer without having to whine about anything else and it'd be far more constructive to do that than to have yet another FE vs Zelda debate.
Ah, yeah, I understand; it doesn't help much to just compare its "representation" to other franchises. It'd work to just go for the characters that you wanna see, rather than bring down others for not much reason.

I mean, it's still hard facts that some numbers are bigger and some are smaller and when tallied, it's less overall, that's not an opinion

One issue is that for some reason nobody can think of who they'd want for one offs, which is especially true for Nintendo, they can re-use Vaati, Ghirahim, Midna, Fi, anyone, but they don't like doing that for some reason
I agree with that too, a lot of the times I see people just going for a "new rep" rather than deciding on just one character to support. I guess it happens with all the characters there are.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, I just said it. I come to the tread to support yall. Yeah I talk about bull**** that isnt directly connected to Geno and thats my fault but The one time I did, I was freaking mocked indirectly from someone saying "Omg, for the first time ever, professor actually typed the word "geno"!"

How am I supposed to stay on yalls side if you do that
This so much. Driving supporters out isn't cool.

Also, while I know you have sometimes been off-topic, people harassing you like that isn't cool either. You should report any post attempting to drive you or others out. The mods definitely respond.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ah, yeah, I understand; it doesn't help much to just compare its "representation" to other franchises. It'd work to just go for the characters that you wanna see, rather than bring down others for not much reason.
I feel like this hasn't happened yet because the answer is any and all of them, and absolutely none of them are even remotely likely to be added.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's fine if you don't feel like the lack of Zelda newcomers is a pressing issue, but please don't be that person who says, "Look at all the stages and items it has. It's fine as is and it doesn't really need any more characters."

Characters have always been what people cared the most about, and it's not fair to act like everyone should feel like the current cast is "good enough".
People should probably stop saying the series is "poorly represented" when they actually mean "The playable cast is underwhelming" then

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

2. John Raimi (Geist)
3. Doom Guy (DOOM)
5. The Dude (Postal 2)

View attachment 273039
  1. Min Min (gonna echo Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku and put her down by a technicality :-P)
  2. Dante
  3. KOS-MOS
  4. Lara Croft
  5. Doom Slayer
  6. Gunvolt

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

2. John Raimi (Geist)
3. Doom Guy (DOOM)
5. The Dude (Postal 2)

View attachment 273039
1. Min Min (again, technicality)
2. Elma
3. KOS-MOS
4. Octoling (ink guns count right?)
5. Gunvolt
6. Master Chief

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
  1. Doomguy
  2. Octolings
  3. Crash Bandicoot (technicality due to the Wumpa Bazooka :p)
  4. Lara Croft
  5. Sora (technicality because he uses his Keyblade as a counduit for magic spells, iirc :p)
  6. For the final one, just pick either Master Chief or KOS-MOS

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm going to laugh very hard when Min Min breaks the spirit rule and five minuts later, Sakurai announces Neku as the Square rep to promote TWEWY2.

Just imagine...

And one year later, challenger pack 11 its Sora, as DISNEY (no Square rep) :joyful::joyful:

And Nomura happy becuase his three babies are in Smash :p

(I dont think this happening, but just imagine, the salt...)
At first I read this as the three Nomura babies being Sora, Neku and Min Min. Now I can't get the image of Min Min covered in belts out of my head.

FE's equivalent is
- 4 stages (down from 9)
- 3 assists (1 less)
- 1 item (down from 8)
- no boss fight
- no dedicated WoL area

If we're comparing one of the biggest series of all time to Fire Emblem then that just proves there's a problem, these two shouldn't be in the same league.

Compare Zelda to Mario and Pokemon and it's clear that the latter two are getting treatment that the former isn't. When nearly every Mario and Pokemon character functions as a representative for X game, the argument that every Zelda game can be represented by just Link is bull****.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If we're comparing one of the biggest series of all time to Fire Emblem then that just proves there's a problem, these two shouldn't be in the same league.
Congrats, you missed the point and should direct your ire at people who actually made the comparison in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom