• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You sure you want June to come? Because now we have murder hornets to deal with.

I won't be surprised if June is the magnetic poles flipping or dragons emerging from underground and setting the world ablaze on fire.
This legitimately made me laugh a lot outloud brashly.

The plagues are all here, folks!
Anyone know if all the Corona deaths are of the first born?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I've never gotten an answer to this...

If Chrom can be a character, a mii costume, and a final smash (in a world where a new final smash means it has to be a new, echo character)
... why does anyone think it matters if a character is a spirit?

It truly is baffling to me. Are people trying to find reasons to be unnecessarily skeptical?
Partially that I suppose. And that Chrom can be considered more of an exception than the rule at the moment. So with that in mind, people don't want to get their hopes up too much that a character can pull it off. Though I do agree Chrom's multiple roles should show that other characters have a chance to do something similar, although just don't expect it to happen all the time.

Others see it as "opening the floodgates" but ****** might as well get over it. Whatever happens, happens. Either secondary characters get the spotlight, or ATs get to potentially become playable to some extent.

I would say it'd be cool to see that happen with one of the dude's in Mega Man's Final Smash. But that's very obvious with me. So I'll also say I'd shill Bomberman some more, cause he's got a pretty long-standing legacy and could be fun.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The Chrom seen in Robin's assist is his future self that died in his debuted game.

The Chrom we play as is the present one.

;P

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've never gotten an answer to this...

If Chrom can be a character, a mii costume, and a final smash (in a world where a new final smash means it has to be a new, echo character)
... why does anyone think it matters if a character is a spirit?

It truly is baffling to me. Are people trying to find reasons to be unnecessarily skeptical?
I said that I don't think the Spirits disconfirm... My question has nothing to do with which ARMS character it is based on the Spirits which are in the game.
Don't get me wrong - I fully expect it'll be an upgrade. I'm betting on Springman with alts...
On the 14th of February, Smash ran a Spirit event called "Ready? Wallop!" with Cuphead Spirits. The Spirit battle for Cuphead was represented by a red Mega Man, and Mugman was represented by two Mega Men, one red one blue. However, if someone purchased the Cuphead Mii costume, those spirit battles were instead fought by Miis with the Cuphead outfits. So they changed the Spirit battle based on what DLC was purchased.

Now Tails' spirit battle has always been represented by a yellow Fox, even though he got a Mii costume. His didn't change with DLC. Neither did Zero, Megaman.exe, or Akira. And Piranha Plant is featured in no battles, even though it'd make loads of sense to be the Nipper Plant's puppet.

Currently, Springman's battle is against a Mii with his outfit. There's also a Min Min battle against a yellow Corrin. If either get in as a character, it would seemingly make more sense for the Spirit battle to change to the character in question, but we haven't seen much precedent of that; it's only happened with Cuphead. Then again, we'll likely get a Spirit board with ARMS, which will probably be the rest of the ARMS characters, at least one of whom will probably have the ARMS character representing them.

So would you like to see them update older battles now that we have the DLC? If we assume the character is Springman, would it seem odd to you if the existing 'Springman (ARMS)' Spirit is still repped by a Mii when the character is right there? Especially if someone like Max Brass gets a DLC Spirit and uses Springman as a fighter?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They could swap out the current surrogate for the actual character in the spirit battle should that character become playable, but whether they consider that a priority worth addressing remains to be seen. I don't imagine it's among the most pressing aspects of creating the character.

So would they? The answer right now is a conclusive maybe. Would I like to see them update the battle? I honestly couldn't care less. I'm not going to do the fight again, I already have the spirits.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Something you guys should probably think about is what audience this game attracts. Considering it's a game that's been a staple of Nintendo systems and features a wide array of Nintendo characters, it stands to reason that most of Smash's audience is primarily familiar with Nintendo games. But for some reason people on here are still flabbergasted that a lot of Smash players are more familiar with stuff like Mario RPG or Golden Sun than games like Yakuza or Guilty Gear or Danganronpa or whatever else. Sure, in the grand scheme of things, those games may be more popular, but Smash's audience, by nature, is more accustomed to Nintendo games. It's not even a first-party thing specifically, a lot of the third parties people have been rooting for, like Phoenix Wright and Travis Touchdown are really mostly popular within Nintendo fan circles, whereas other games that are inarguably more popular, like Fortnite or Minecraft are barely ever seriously considered and mostly just treated as a joke. It's just the way things are.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Everyone else:
"It's Min Min because she won the Party Crash."
"It's Twintelle because ass."
"It's Max Brass because Spirits deconfirm characters."
"It's Ribbon Girl because Assist Trophies deconfirm characters."

Me:
"It's Spring Man because no ****; he's the main ARMS character."

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All I know is the public opinion will shift to whichever ARMS character does get in being the "only obvious choice" faster than you can say "revisionism".

And I'd give Spring-Man the odds on that one. Or Spring-Man plus alt(s).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All I know is the public opinion will shift to whichever ARMS character does get in being the "only obvious choice" faster than you can say "revisionism".

"It's kind of sad no one saw Spring Man coming. It was so obvious."

*Two months earlier

"My gut is telling me the second pass will be all third-parties. Nintendo knows what sells."

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I'm going all in on the ARMS character being someone that's not in the game already because the concept of spirits and/or assist trophies would be ruined if it's one of the 5 characters that is in and also because I still want to be able to enjoy the game without thinking about the fact that 80% of the content is pointless.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

I try to be consistent with myself.
I remember telling Lesley back when she and I were still friends that Sakurai successfully stumped me with Byleth.
I was just so damn sure that after 4 third parties in a row that FP5 would obviously follow the trend, but it was the most unexpected left turn to reveal the most completely expectable newcomer in Byleth.
But if FP6 is not Spring Man, I will be legitimately surprised.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
whereas other games that are inarguably more popular, like Fortnite or Minecraft are barely ever seriously considered and mostly just treated as a joke. It's just the way things are.
Yet other popular third-parties including ones that aren’t on Nintendo aren’t treated as jokes :S

though Minecraft has been around for over a decade and actually has been seriously considered for a good amount of time now. Most people either like it or don’t care either way; I assume this is how it is with every decent and major IP tbh.

And it’s still rude for people to see others suggesting/wanting a character or liking a new addition, assume they’re joking, and make fun of them, acting like children. I think people are mainly just wanting others to be a little more considerate; no need to play the games or like them, but people should do a little research before shouting “literal who?” and acting like no one wanted a character.

Though tbh sometimes people do seem a little harsh on others who aren’t even being that way, and sometimes seem to actually want them to play some games they may find no interest in...I don’t think people should be expected to actually buy new games and play them, tbh they really don’t have to do any research either if they don’t want to, just act more considerate instead of acting like only their opinion matters...

I'm going all in on the ARMS character being someone that's not in the game already because the concept of spirits and/or assist trophies would be ruined if it's one of the 5 characters that is in and also because I still want to be able to enjoy the game without thinking about the fact that 80% of the content is pointless.
How would they be ruined though? If it’s a lore reason, that’s already in the trash for Spirits at least (though it really could or should be that way for ATs too since some are also spirits).

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
This isn't the first time they've done a free trial though. I'm pretty sure they've had at least one every year ever since launch. They've also had Party Crashes until they ended last year.

Haven't really seen XC2 brought up that much after the DLC was all released. Last time Nintendo of America tweeted about it was in December 2018.
There wasn't any trial in 2019, and a 1 week trial format is obviously a lot more suited for an online arena fighter than a 70 hour RPG.

Also you're sidestepping my point, which is that people act NOW like "oh man it's so obvious that Nintendo wanted to promote ARMS all along" when in fact, prior to the mini Direct, people downplaying ARMS and saying Nintendo had abandoned it were extremely common, including here in Smashboards. Appropiate since revisionism is being discussed right now.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Something you guys should probably think about is what audience this game attracts. Considering it's a game that's been a staple of Nintendo systems and features a wide array of Nintendo characters, it stands to reason that most of Smash's audience is primarily familiar with Nintendo games. But for some reason people on here are still flabbergasted that a lot of Smash players are more familiar with stuff like Mario RPG or Golden Sun than games like Yakuza or Guilty Gear or Danganronpa or whatever else. Sure, in the grand scheme of things, those games may be more popular, but Smash's audience, by nature, is more accustomed to Nintendo games. It's not even a first-party thing specifically, a lot of the third parties people have been rooting for, like Phoenix Wright and Travis Touchdown are really mostly popular within Nintendo fan circles, whereas other games that are inarguably more popular, like Fortnite or Minecraft are barely ever seriously considered and mostly just treated as a joke. It's just the way things are.
The fact that hardly anyone recognized the FF7 intro homage in Clouds reveal trailer should be enough evidence that Smash fans by and large don't play non Nintendo games.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There wasn't any trial in 2019, and a 1 week trial format is obviously a lot more suited for an online arena fighter than a 70 hour RPG.

Also you're sidestepping my point, which is that people act NOW like "oh man it's so obvious that Nintendo wanted to promote ARMS all along" when in fact, prior to the mini Direct, people downplaying ARMS and saying Nintendo had abandoned it were extremely common, including here in Smashboards. Appropiate since revisionism is being discussed right now.
Well, you know what they say: history is written by the winners.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I guess we'll have to champion the fact that while the pick made sense, it wasn't the obvious choice, and everyone was debating on a bunch of choices that made sense and a few that didn't.

I don't make character predictions; I rate their chances.
I did this one time in list format in the Smash 4 DLC speculation thread and I was told I was off topic because that was what the Rate Their Chances thread was for...

Still don't understand why. EDIT: They're both the same thing. One's just a gamified version.

Why would a Spirit upgrade make 80% of the game pointless?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

A majority of that stems from the AT, Mii costumes, and Spirits though. Most people had written it off entirely because popular fan rules prevented it from being viable.

Even if ARMS didn't get squat after the final update, I still think there'd be a decent amount of people predicting it if there were no AT. If anything, no ARMS content might convince people it was a lock.

7NATOR

Smash Master
After looking at tournament discussions and seeing people calling Sonic lame (which they've done for multiple games now), both in how he's designed and in terms of moveset, That could be 1 reason we could get another Sonic character Like Shadow or Knuckles, who would have more interesting moves than the current Implementation of Sonic

I Fully admit it's a Far out idea, and I'm not saying this is only reason, or even an important reason another Sonic Character gets in, After seeing Many people complain about Sonic Spining all the time and the fact they took the time to give Ganondorf a Sword, 1% of me could see it. Sonic is only 3rd party character i see many complaints about in terms of moveset (well there's also Banjo, but he was just added)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Source code for the N64, Gamecube and Wii all got leaked by the same source that leak the gen 2 beta sprites

Will be interesting too see what we find.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
After looking at tournament discussions and seeing people calling Sonic lame (which they've done for multiple games now), both in how he's designed and in terms of moveset, That could be 1 reason we could get another Sonic character Like Shadow or Knuckles, who would have more interesting moves than the current Implementation of Sonic

I Fully admit it's a Far out idea, and I'm not saying this is only reason, or even an important reason another Sonic Character gets in, After seeing Many people complain about Sonic Spining all the time and the fact they took the time to give Ganondorf a Sword, 1% of me could see it. Sonic is only 3rd party character i see many complaints about in terms of moveset (well there's also Banjo, but he was just added)
Sonic's design is weird. He took the speed of a rushdown character so far he accidentally became a sort of keepaway zoner. Top that off with two special attacks that are basically the same, and it's no wonder why people don't like this character.

I highly doubt this would influence the addition of another Sonic the Hedgehog character though. In fact, I'm willing to say that if we get a Sonic the Hedgehog character in this pass, and you remind me to do so, I will put a dunce cap on my avatar until I stop being too lazy to take it off.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Actually I do gotta ask everyone here

How Confident are you guys in your predictions, or how right do you think you will be in the end?
Hard to say to be honest. I can definitely see maybe at least one of them happening, especially if it's a high-profile want like Dante or Phoenix Wright that has good company ties through Capcom. ARMS I'm giving myself four possible bets because any of them would be fun. On the other hand, there's also some characters I want that may or may not get their chance because they're not as prolific in the Smash speculation scene like Kiryu or they've only seen a more noticeable rise in Smash discourse like Reimu.

At the moment, I'd just like to see who the ARMS fighter is gonna be. Is it Spring Man and he'll overturn the "Assist Trophies and Spirits can't be promoted in the same game" argument? Or will it be a welcome surprise like Max Brass or Dr. Coyle?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
They already did

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/p...rvers-steal-video-games-and-other-proprietary

He used phishing to get the credentials of one NoA employee and dumped everything he could. He then shared the file with other people before being arrested.
> Gets caught hacking by the FBI and they leave him with only a warning
> Proceeds to hack some more and even brags about it on the same websites where he was originally discovered
> Gets caught again and the FBI also find illegal pictures in a folder titled "Bad Stuff"

I've seen some stupid people in my life but damn this guy takes it to a new level.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Actually I do gotta ask everyone here

How Confident are you guys in your predictions, or how right do you think you will be in the end?
There's only two things I'm relatively sure of. First, I'm 90% all in on Spring Man at this point. We always get the protagonist/mascot for a series first and Spring Man undeniably fits that roll. Second, I'm almost certain we'll get a promotional character ala Corrin or Byleth somewhere down the line. Who will this character be? I have no idea, seeing how we know almost nothing of Nintendo's 2020/2021 releases.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
> Gets caught hacking by the FBI and they leave him with only a warning
> Proceeds to hack some more and even brags about it on the same websites where he was originally discovered
> Gets caught again and the FBI also find illegal pictures in a folder titled "Bad Stuff"

I've seen some stupid people in my life but damn this guy takes it to a new level.
This is Darwin Awards levels of stupidity.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

It'd be nice to see older characters get updates. We know Ganon, Luigi and Falco are examples of characters getting more interesting over time. Though maybe Third party characters are more strict in how they are changed. But Snake got some changes.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It'd be nice to see older characters get updates. We know Ganon, Luigi and Falco are examples of characters getting more interesting over time. Though maybe Third party characters are more strict in how they are changed. But Snake got some changes.
It makes me sad that Sonic's gotten as little love as he has. I never would be a good Sonic player - I'm terrible with speedsters - but he does seem really bland in comparison to the rest of the third parties in the cast... or even most of the others in the cast.

It's probably the same story as the Dorf as well - a vestige of when he was rushed in when he got added to Brawl.

But mostly, the series should have gotten more. I'm still of the opinion that Tails is the biggest missed opportunity in the cast so far, but Eggman should have also been a boss or at least an assist considering Dr. Wily got that. Even the two stages are samey - Windy Hill should have been more of an urban center (still wishing for Chemical Plant) to fit a lot more of the rock-y music. Oh, and give us some remixes already, it's not like Sonic is lacking songs...

It's one of those things that was fine in Brawl, but now that everyone else has gotten a major glow up, it really makes Sonic look left behind. Particularly after how well things like Castlevania/Street Fighter were treated.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It makes me sad that Sonic's gotten as little love as he has. I never would be a good Sonic player - I'm terrible with speedsters - but he does seem really bland in comparison to the rest of the third parties in the cast... or even most of the others in the cast.

It's probably the same story as the Dorf as well - a vestige of when he was rushed in when he got added to Brawl.

But mostly, the series should have gotten more. I'm still of the opinion that Tails is the biggest missed opportunity in the cast so far, but Eggman should have also been a boss or at least an assist considering Dr. Wily got that. Even the two stages are samey - Windy Hill should have been more of an urban center (still wishing for Chemical Plant) to fit a lot more of the rock-y music. Oh, and give us some remixes already, it's not like Sonic is lacking songs...

It's one of those things that was fine in Brawl, but now that everyone else has gotten a major glow up, it really makes Sonic look left behind. Particularly after how well things like Castlevania/Street Fighter were treated.
Ryu and Ken need a Little Mac-esque Super Meter to match Terry's Super Moves.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I do gotta ask, What makes Pokemon exempt from the Spirit Board Deconfirmation?

I understand not every gen 8 pokemon is on Board, or even the evolutions, but I don't think that means we getting Gen 8 Pokemon. there some weird Spirit exclusions already to my knowledge.

Plus the Spirit board wasn't just a 1 and done, it came back sometime in Febuaury of this year too.

and I'm not a Spirits deconfirm person, But it seems with the timing and intent of the Spirit board, perhaps Gen 8 Pokemon might not be on the menu

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

I understand not every gen 8 pokemon is on Board, or even the evolutions, but I don't think that means we getting Gen 8 Pokemon. there some weird Spirit exclusions already to my knowledge.

Plus the Spirit board wasn't just a 1 and done, it came back sometime in Febuaury of this year too.

and I'm not a Spirits deconfirm person, But it seems with the timing and intent of the Spirit board, perhaps Gen 8 Pokemon might not be on the menu
Because for Pokémon, it would be easy to add a playable character and a full DLC board of Sword and Shield content separate from what we got already, which wouldn’t really work for any of the games represented by the other post-release Spirit events. As a result, it’s possible for them to have wanted to do a short-term event to promote Sword and Shield with some of the “main” Pokémon that they knew wouldn’t be in contention for the DLC slot, then go back and add a playable Pokémon later in Wave 2 with additional Spirits alongside it. After all, Sword and Shield was simultaneously one of the biggest Switch releases, one of the most controversial Switch releases, and also was not chosen to be represented in the first Fighter’s Pass, so it just made a lot of sense as a business decision to release a Spirit event in the short term to help give it a little additional boost even if they planned to promote it more down the line.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

To clarify, the Spirit Board never returned. They just added the SwSh Spirits to the normal rotation like they've always done. Anyways, there are several reasons why it might be too soon to write off Gen 8 because of a Spirit Board.

One, it's one of the few games to get a Spirit Board to tie-in with the launch.
Two, how hard would it be for people to make a connection between missing Spirits and DLC after Byleth got in?
Three, Spirits hardly take any time to make in the first place, hence why they replaced trophies.
Four, this DLC goes on until 2021, so why hold SwSh Spirits for potentially two years?
Five, there's plenty of content for a pass, especially since music and stages are untouched.
Six, the number of characters who qualify as "promotional" are few

People are free to believe whatever they want, and I'm not trying to force anyone to believe Gen 8 still has a chance. I just want people to realize that they're basing all of this off of a couple of PNGs with CPU battles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom