• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So, Nintendo released the new artwork for Xenoblade DE and with the Japanese XBDE site listing four pages as coming soon.
Does it mean that a Xenoblade DE direct would be announced by late April to May?
Why would they? DE is a remake, not an entirely new game. I doubt that they have enough news to go over, especially with the Direct not being that long ago.
I also doubt that there's enough in Future Connected to really necessitate a Direct.

I'm more interested in how Dunban's able to move both of his arms to make a dynamic pose despite being crippled
I'm even more interested in why everyone's so much more white. Especially Sharla and Dunban.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
It's not about the visual aspects, it's about them tampering with the character between updates (normally to use some code as basis for others)

Byleth's Smashes are really similar to Simon and Richter's and they are the closest ones from the game.
No matter who the ARMS character is, I expect that we will be able to control how far these ARMS go, since having a lot of range, good speed and knockback for these attacks would be really broken:
- Take out the knockback and the fighter would feel really weak
- Take out the range and it cuts the main thing about ARMS
- Take out the speed would lead to attacks that are really easy to punish
A solution for this would be to the arms to only extend while you hold the attack button. Which character in the game is similar to this? That's right, Bayo!

I think the most important question regarding the Ness glitch is: what makes him unique over everybody else (in more technical aspects of Ultimate) that could serve for a new character and that no one else currently in the game comes close? That could actually point to something...
I'm arguing it's only obvious in hindsight which characters these glitches were for.

As to Ness specifically, it could be the character has such a simple face that it could just be a texture or a texture does the majority of the work. But okay, who does that really narrow it down to? As a huge Geno supporter, my mind goes there first. But I am still skeptical since you can make Geno with a fully modeled face.

And I can't think of anybody else that criteria would apply to.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think Ness' most uniques attributes are his second jump and his recovery. Perhaps the fighter would be someone that can jump higher, and/or that can somehow hurt himself for recovery or for another reason?
Or someone that uses PSI like powers?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm even more interested in why everyone's so much more white. Especially Sharla and Dunban.
Maybe they were always meant to be like that, but the Wii wasn't able to do it right? Because I'm gonna be honest, the original Xenoblade's graphics haven't aged well. At all.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's not about the visual aspects, it's about them tampering with the character between updates (normally to use some code as basis for others)

Byleth's Smashes are really similar to Simon and Richter's and they are the closest ones from the game.
No matter who the ARMS character is, I expect that we will be able to control how far these ARMS go, since having a lot of range, good speed and knockback for these attacks would be really broken:
- Take out the knockback and the fighter would feel really weak
- Take out the range and it cuts the main thing about ARMS
- Take out the speed and it would lead to attacks that are really easy to punish
A solution for this would be to the arms to only extend while you hold the attack button. Which character in the game is similar to this? That's right, Bayo!

I think the most important question regarding the Ness glitch is: what makes him unique over everybody else (in more technical aspects of Ultimate) that could serve for a new character and that no one else currently in the game comes close? That could actually point to something...
First thing that jumped out to me is PK Thunder, which is the only move I can think about that's completely freely controllable. I don't know who might have something like that, but it's a start.

Last edited:
Months ago, i was messing around vs random cpus with :ultganondorf:and after getting hit by a warlock punch, :ultdoc: became totally black (pitch black like :ultgnw: ).
I'm not even joking.

Looks like it was a glitch, it could mean something, could be a hint.
Now i'm joking :p I'm just not convinced that glitches are a reliable way to find hints about future newcomers but as usual, i'm open to change my mind. Basically, as someone already mentionned, there's so many glitches in the game. Let's say one of them is a potential hint, how do you tell which one?
Anyway, honestly i prefer my original interpretation of the glitch which was: :ultganondorf: is so strong that he can literally punch all the light off of someone.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
not sure why we're still bringing up the "character glitch means a DLC character's using them as base" theory when Banjo ended up using Ridley rather than Duck Hunt
Where is this "Ridley was used a base for Banjo and Kazooie" stuff coming from?
If you can't cite the source for this information, then it is merely a unsupported rumor.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
After reading one or two of y’all’s posts, and thinking about it, I guess I can see these character glitches possibly leading to something, since it seems the devs had little reason to touch these characters (unless said characters were part of a balance patch), however I still think they’re very unreliable for speculation. If Bayonetta was used for the ARMS character, it could easily have been for her side-smash which would fit any of the characters in the way I’d assume they’d use it. There’s a number of characters these glitches could possibly point towards, too, if they actually mean anything. Visual glitches kinda just sound like they just screwed up some texture-related thing, too, so it likely has nothing to do with mechanics or whatever (I don’t know how programming stuff works though so who knows, maybe they accidentally screwed up texture stuff somehow while messing with unrelated things; I mean, weird bugs that seem unrelated to something added/changed seem to happen in Minecraft updates/snapshots...).

Bowser Jr. doesn’t really seem to have any connections to Piranha Plant, however, aside from Plant’s pot having its own hitbox I suppose (I forgot if it actually did) and maybe the cannonball.

I also don’t know who Ness would be used for unless the Pigmask Army is about to win babyyyyy; Ness’s eyes disappear because our great king never shows his eyes, or the cool chubster’s PSI Shield uses Ness’s PSI Magnet as a base.

and admittedly I did think the Duck Hunt glitch could be for Banjo & Kazooie but then it seemed less likely after turning out to be SD-card specific and stuff, and I could’ve sworn I saw that info about B-K using Ridley as a base before and that it came from a dataminer but it appears to be gone if it really did exist, maybe I’m just confused. I think it makes sense though, one of Ridley’s moves is similar to one of Kazooie’s I think, and...uh...wings.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Where is this "Ridley was used a base for Banjo and Kazooie" stuff coming from?
If you can't cite the source for this information, then it is merely a unsupported rumor.
Smash Wiki thinks a few of Banjo's moves are similar to Ridley's. Namely, forward tilt, down smash, back air (which is said to be similar to Ridley's forward air instead), and the fact that they have triple jumps.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Best Buy's systems are listing a rerelease for Super Mario 3D World:
While this doesn't guarantee anything, it does line up with some rumours from a few weeks ago. If these rumours are true, Nintendo's big game for 2020 would likely be:
A compilation/possible remakes of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. Seeing how all three of these games have a beavy of content in Smash already, it limits competition for the "character from a new Nintendo game" niche that was filled by Corrin and Byleth previously filled. This could increase the chances of a Gen 8 Pokemon or even a BotW 2 character, depending on what happens in the coming year.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
While this doesn't guarantee anything, it does line up with some rumours from a few weeks ago. If these rumours are true, Nintendo's big game for 2020 would likely be:
A compilation/possible remakes of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. Seeing how all three of these games have a beavy of content in Smash already, it limits competition for the "character from a new Nintendo game" niche that was filled by Corrin and Byleth previously filled. This could increase the chances of a Gen 8 Pokemon or even a BotW 2 character, depending on what happens in the coming year.
Didn't last year's Best Buy leak turn out to mostly be a fluke? Minus the Joker render of course.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Supposedly Metroid Prime Trilogy was also listed yesterday in Best Buy but the page was taken down. I saw that on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/keiththehuman/status/1251588255621013505

Not an hint or anything but an artist made artwork for Tifa if she were in the game. Thought it'd be cool to show.
Tifa would be dope but I'll insist, I'd rather have a character from another Final Fantasy.
But if it must be FF7 then I think Sephiroth should be next and not Tifa or any other party member regardless of their popularity. He's the villain and one of the most iconic ones in videogame history. Also he should be the next FF7 character because he would be the closest thing to have Vergil in the game, so...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Unlikely. The model for the giant fist isn't connected to Bayonetta's in any way.
It’s still a humanoid model. They could morph it into a big ARM to attach to a character for a big punch, though tbh I guess they would just grow an ARM made from scratch/the Spring Man AT/the original models using a resizing animation like other characters...

I don’t think Twintelle’s slowing of attacks works quite like Witch Time, though, if that’s what they would use, but I guess it could be reworked to only slow down an enemy who is very close to her or projectiles/long-range attacks (seems like an effect they could just take from the Ashley AT though, idk).

or since the glitch is a visual one for her legs, it’s Min Min and the Ness glitch confirms our great king Porky Minch.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Finally
1587428371685.png

Context is that this was the filler ballot information for when the ballot was announced in a direct

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Unrelated, but a random thought I had while I was trying to sleep.

My prediction is that we will not get Hat Kid as a DLC, but instead as a Mii Swordfighter costume with a music track. As for which track, I have not played enough of A Hat in Time to say so.

I'm also willing to bet at this point that only indie games will get music with their costumes as the only indie game costumes have been Sans and Cuphead (MEGOLOVANIA and Floral Fury).
I would love to see Hat Kid as a Swordfighter -- she already looks a bit like a Mii lol. For the track, I hope it'd be either Train Rush (or that electroswing remix of it, since the in-game version has a lot of tempo changes) or a remix of the main theme. Your Contract Has Expired would be great too, but that's more of the Snatcher's theme and wouldn't really fit with just a Hat Kid Mii costume.

In terms of Mii costumes with music, aside from indie games my main hope is something from Dragalia Lost. I definitely don't think Euden has enough moveset potential or character presence to be an full-fledged fighter, but he'd fit as a Mii Swordfighter just fine, and it'd be neat to have one of the game's tracks in Smash (hopefully a remix of the regular boss theme or the Greatwyrm battle theme).

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There's one promotional rep I think everyone's sleeping on.
1587434199650.png

It's been a month since it's release, and we still haven't gotten a spirit event. It could just be late (like Ring Fit), but you never know.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Months ago, i was messing around vs random cpus with :ultganondorf:and after getting hit by a warlock punch, :ultdoc: became totally black (pitch black like :ultgnw: ).
Mr. Game and Watch confirmed??? First the Neo Geo and now the Game and Watch. For the next console rep, I want Bubsy to be the Atari Jaguar rep.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Super Mario Maker 2 is getting one last update.

Everything looks pretty cool, but I wonder if they'll finally give us a Spirit event for this game tomorrow.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

Everything looks pretty cool, but I wonder if they'll finally give us a Spirit event for this game tomorrow.
I hadn’t thought about it before, but it is odd how there aren’t any spirits from Mario Maker. Undo Dog, Yamamura, Soundfrog, and Mary O. all would have been nice.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I hadn’t thought about it before, but it is odd how there aren’t any spirits from Mario Maker. Undo Dog, Yamamura, Soundfrog, and Mary O. all would have been nice.
I guess they didn't feel the need to promote SMM2 when Builder Mario is now an alt.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I guess they didn't feel the need to promote SMM2 when Builder Mario is now an alt.
Yeah, but they're still promoting ARMS when it already had an AT, two Mii costumes, and five Spirits.

At the very least, I thought we'd get some of the characters who help you build your courses. It and LM3 are two games that should've gotten Spirits but didn't.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
There's one promotional rep I think everyone's sleeping on.
View attachment 269769
It's been a month since it's release, and we still haven't gotten a spirit event. It could just be late (like Ring Fit), but you never know.
I mean, what spirits could they bring that would be specifically be tied to Mystery dungeon? Most of the popular Pokémon are already spirits and it doesn't have any exclusive characters.

This update looks pretty cool, but I'm sad it will be the last one. After seeing Link playable, I wanted more crossover. Samus or Kirby in Mario maker would have been amazing.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Amazing update! But...why no Hammer Suit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom