• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'll let it slide for Xenoblade, no need to remix it as is if it's already perfect. :denzel:
There was only one Xenoblade Chronicles remix and it sucked so you're probably right. lol

At first I was more into Society and Fight like a Tiger but Colours ends being a ****ing massive ride of a song. It's incredible lol

But yeah if Sol somehow manages to be in Smash I don't think we're getting Strive songs, if he's #5 or #6 then maybe. At best I'd expect Smell of the Game coming with him, which would be great as well.
I'd imagine most of the songs would be classic ones and 2-3 from Xrd while Sol's design would be a mix of the classic one and his Xrd incarnation (but his newest design's still the best)
I was watching some people play the beta, and I swear every match played either Society or Colors, which I don't understand because these are supposed to be character themes, and Potemkin and Faust weren't present most of the time.

EDIT: To be honest, I've kinda burned out on them, at least a bit.

If they do add Smell of the Game it'll be a new remix for censorship purposes.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
There was only one Xenoblade Chronicles remix and it sucked so you're probably right. lol

I was watching some people play the beta, and I swear every match played either Society or Colors, which I don't understand because these are supposed to be character themes, and Potemkin and Faust weren't present most of the time.

EDIT: To be honest, I've kinda burned out on them, at least a bit.

If they do add Smell of the Game it'll be a new remix for censorship purposes.
The beta only had 4 songs. Smell of the Game, Society, Fight like a Tiger and Colours, so I guess the game was rotating songs even if the right character wasn't in the match. That's at least what happened to me during my matches.
Smell of the Game is, I guess, the opening or the main theme of the game. Maybe could be Sol's song as some people suggested, but I don't think so.

About Smell of the Game and the censorship, they could change it instead of making a remix. They already did the same with Mass Destruction from Persona 3, the song was just modified instead of receiving a remix, which btw I'm happy about that because I didn't like at all the remix they did for I'll Face Myself, I'd rather have the original version.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
If they were to include Sol, I hope they'd add some BlazBlue music (and the reverse is true too -- on the teeeeeny tiny chance they include Ragna, I'd love to see Guilty Gear music). Both series have such good soundtracks that I think excluding either one would be missing out. Stuff like Storyteller, Magnolia Eclair, Colors, and Smell of the Game on the GG side or Under Heaven Destruction II, SIX HEROES, Rebellion II, and Awakening the Chaos on the BB side would all be fantastic.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If they were to include Sol, I hope they'd add some BlazBlue music (and the reverse is true too -- on the teeeeeny tiny chance they include Ragna, I'd love to see Guilty Gear music). Both series have such good soundtracks that I think excluding either one would be missing out. Stuff like Storyteller, Magnolia Eclair, Colors, and Smell of the Game on the GG side or Under Heaven Destruction II, SIX HEROES, Rebellion II, and Awakening the Chaos on the BB side would all be fantastic.
The SNK treatment here would be great, but unlikely, I guess. :(

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
There's very few series I think can get an SNK treatment and get a buttload of songs. Guilty Gear/Blazblue could work, even if it's unlikely but given how music is usually a strong point in their games, it can work. Touhou is another one if Reimu got in, mainly because of good tracks beyond EOSD, PCB, and IN and it'd be good to add PC-98, Old Windows, and Current games in. Tekken and Soul Calibur can also work together for music if we got a rep from one or the other.

Unlikely on all three but if we got a buttload of music from a rep those three I can see work.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Imma be 100% honest I really don’t like that there’s only 5 characters. There’s just so many more characters that would be so damn good from so many different companies and from Nintendo that it would be a damn shame for it to end here. I hope to God that there is a Ultimate Deluxe or something coming out after because I don’t want to drop any of these characters. Each one is more phenomenal than the last and a reboot or even a sequel without all these characters feels like nothing more than a major downgrade.
Sol
Jill
Hayabusa
Dante
Lloyd
2B
Lara Croft
Geno
Bandana Dee
Isaac
Ezio
Rayman

All these are incredible choices and likely and there’s so many more that would be great but even out of this handful we will only get 5 of them MAX and that’s just a damn shame. I really really hope Ultimate continues after this. I think it needs to.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Ninjala is owned by GunHo Online and not Nintendo, so they wouldn't be 1st Party.
that's a damn shame, this game really looks like some sort of effort Nintendo Garage would put out lol
if this game's really successful, maybe we'll see them on Smash's guest roster someday

Keep in mind that Nintendo is choosing the DLC, and Sakurai said that ARMS was a special request (whatever that means). He seems more plausible than before, but I still think he has his fair share of hurdles to overcome.
Maybe. He keeps reminding us that Nintendo chose the DLC and that he has little say on the matter, but saying an ARMS character was a "special request" implies that someone asked him to add a character in a way that was different from the previous five.

Sometimes it's hard to understand what Sakurai means, and I often feel like he tries to be ambiguous on purpose.
you also got a source on that "special request" bit? very curious
i think its also good to keep caution on who to expect in this case, because Sakurai could also just throw a curveball and outwardly bait at speculators hoping for the best case/fever dream scernario again...

(excuse my earlyposting)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Imma be 100% honest I really don’t like that there’s only 5 characters. There’s just so many more characters that would be so damn good from so many different companies and from Nintendo that it would be a damn shame for it to end here. I hope to God that there is a Ultimate Deluxe or something coming out after because I don’t want to drop any of these characters. Each one is more phenomenal than the last and a reboot or even a sequel without all these characters feels like nothing more than a major downgrade.
Sol
Jill
Hayabusa
Dante
Lloyd
2B
Lara Croft
Geno
Bandana Dee
Isaac
Ezio
Rayman

All these are incredible choices and likely and there’s so many more that would be great but even out of this handful we will only get 5 of them MAX and that’s just a damn shame. I really really hope Ultimate continues after this. I think it needs to.
There's a possibility after this pass that Nintendo could continue DLC whether another pass or individual DLC but Sakurai is finished after FP6.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys, how about we play a game to pass the time?

Make a Fighters Pass that consists of Assist Trophy upgrades!

The catch: the only ATs that can be chosen are those whose franchises currently don’t have any playabe characters.

Here’s mine.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
you also got a source on that "special request" bit? very curious
i think its also good to keep caution on who to expect in this case, because Sakurai could also just throw a curveball and outwardly bait at speculators hoping for the best case/fever dream scernario again...

(excuse my earlyposting)

Sakurai calls it a "production request", which is something I find confusing considering how Nintendo is choosing the DLC.

Every character should qualify as a "production request".

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

The catch: the only ATs that can be chosen are those whose franchises currently don’t have any playabe characters.

Here’s mine.
Spring Man (not my personal choice for an ARMS character, but we're getting an ARMS character and he's the only one who fits this criteria)
Saki Amiyama (ain't no rule that they have to currently be assist trophies!)
Ray Mk III
Bomberman
Isaac
Shovel Knight (I feel like these last three are going to be on a lot of these lists)

Honourable mention goes to Sukapon - I wanted to include him (I feel like it's fitting that Nintendo's first attempt at a fighting game, even if it's a Japanese only one, gets a character in its fighting game crossover), but I haven't played Joy Mech Fight, so it's harder for me to justify it over Saki or Ray.

If I don't have to include an ARMS character, then replace Spring Man with Sukapon. If my loophole isn't allowed, then replace Saki and Ray with Sukapon and Rathalos Takamaru.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Sakurai calls it a "production request", which is something I find confusing considering how Nintendo is choosing the DLC.

Every character should qualify as a "production request".
Maybe he said that because ARMS was first suggested by the game's director or something like that and then Nintendo agreed.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Maybe he said that because ARMS was first suggested by the game's director or something like that and then Nintendo agreed.
I would't be surprised if Kosuke Yabuki (Producer for ARMS) had personally approached Sakurai about including an ARMS character shortly after FP2 was greenlit, ARMS is pretty much his baby as while he did direct Mario Kart 7 and 8. ARMS was a brand new IP he had a big hand in its creation and sold pretty decently and has a decent size cult following.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Here’s mine.
Spring Man
Isaac
Saki
Excitebiker
Bomberman
Takamaru

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Spring Man
Isaac
Saki
Excitebiker
Bomberman
Takamaru
Excitebiker would be great - after playing the Excitebike DLC course for Mario Kart 8, I remember really wanting to see an Excitebike stage in Smash Bros.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman

Here’s mine.
Skull Kid
Isaac
Spring Man
Bomberman
Lyn
Shovel Knight

Bonus: Shadow the Hedgehog as Sonic echo

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Here’s mine.
That's kind of easy for me, keeping in mind what's going on;
Spring Man
Waluigi
Isaac
Ashley
Shovel Knight
Shadow

Bomberman's a runner up. Replace him with Spring Man otherwise. Krystal's another runner up, but I want Shovel Knight a bit more.

D

Deleted member

Skull Kid
Isaac
Spring Man
Bomberman
Lyn
Shovel Knight

Bonus: Shadow the Hedgehog as Sonic echo
Spring Man
Waluigi
Isaac
Ashley
Shovel Knight
Shadow

Bomberman's a runner up. Replace him with Spring Man otherwise. Krystal's another runner up, but I want Shovel Knight a bit more.
Errr.... I think you two missed this.
The catch: the only ATs that can be chosen are those whose franchises currently don’t have any playabe characters

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Spring Man
Waluigi
Isaac
Ashley
Shovel Knight
Shadow

You have violated the laws of our agreement. What say you in your defense?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm kinda torn...A reboot/sequel would allow older characters to have their movesets re-evaluated, and perhaps changed to something that suits them better. The smaller (though still quite large, as anything under 45 would seem like a travesty after Ultimate) roster size would allow for more fine tuning of single player content as well. However, we lose a ton of characters, with a whole bunch of them likely being dropped for good.

By contrast, a continuation of Ultimate would likely be pretty bare bones aside from the roster, and the newcomer count could dwindle even further. If Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's resources were reused to mitigate this, the game could look a bit dated on the next generation console depending on what it is. However, we get to keep everyone which is incredibly enticing.

Best case scenario, the next Super Smash Bros. game is given a whole bunch of time (like, potentially 7 years worth) and resources in order to try and get the best of both worlds. Imagine a fully voiced story mode with Ultimate's cast and then some like with what was teased in World of Light.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

Spring Man
Isaac
Bomberman
Vince
Sable Prince

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Here’s mine.
-Spring Man
-Isaac
-Shovel Knight
-Yuri Kozukata
-Bomberman
-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhHHHH i got nothin else chief

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It’s okay, you are forgiven.:)
Funny thing is I made a Fighter's Pass under a semi-similar ruling(well, not the franchise rule). No spirits. You could still use characters that don't have a spirit from a specific game, otherwise. Though that kind of really only mattered for the Oracle version of Impa. Other than being a completely different form from OOT, she also provided a unique design option~ Sveta was my other 1st party choice. XD

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Here’s mine.
Spring Man (not my personal ARMS character, but he's the only option for this spot)
Color TV-Game 15 (yes really)
Jill (not current, if only current ATs, replace with Isaac)
Yuri Kozukata
Akira
Nikki

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Easy peasy:
Challenger Pack #6: Color TV-Game 15
Challenger Pack #7: Devil
Challenger Pack #8: Dr. Kawashima
Challenger Pack #9: Flies & Hand
Challenger Pack #10: Helirin
Challenger Pack #11: Moon

EDIT: Ok. More serious this time:
Challenger Pack #6: Spring Man
Challenger Pack #7: Bomberman
Challenger Pack #8: Nintendog
Challenger Pack #9: Excitebikes
Challenger Pack #10: Sukapon
Challenger Pack #11: Isaac

Already In
  • Little Mak
  • Dark Samosa
  • Is a bell
Want
  • Ashley
  • Bomberman
  • Dillon
  • Excitebikes
  • Infantry and Tanks (I want Incineroar to be able to suplex a tank, and Snake to put it down with chloroform)
  • Isaac
  • Metroid
  • Nintendog (PUPPIES!!!)
  • Shadow the Hedgehog
  • Shovel Knight
  • Skull Kid
  • Spring Man
  • Sukapon
  • Zero
Would be Cool
  • Alucard
  • Black Knight
  • Chain Chomp
  • Chef Kawasaki
  • Elec Man
  • Guile
  • Hammer Bro.
  • Knuckles the Echidna
  • Krystal
  • Rathalos
  • Ray Mk III
  • Riki
  • Sablé Prince
  • Saki Amamiya
  • Starfy
  • Takamaru
  • Thwomp
  • Tiki (not a fan of her, but she could be fun to play as)
  • Waluigi
  • Wily Capsule
  • Yuri Kozukata (if you could make her work)
Don't Care
  • Akira
  • Barbara
  • Knuckle Joe
  • Lakitu and Spinies
  • Lyn
  • Magnus
  • Midna
  • Nightmare
  • Nikki
  • Phosphora
No Thanks
  • Andross
  • Arcade Bunny
  • Burrowing Snagret
  • Dr. Wright
  • Ghirahim
  • Ghosts
  • Gray Fox
  • Jeff
  • Jill
  • Kapp'n
  • Kat & Ana
  • Klaptrap
  • Mr. Resetti
  • Mother Brain
  • Rodin
  • Samurai Goroh
  • Squid Sisters
  • Starman
  • Tingle
  • Vince
Wat?
  • Color TV-Game 15
  • Devil
  • Dr. Kawashima
  • Flies & Hand
  • Helirin
  • Moon
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
  • Sheriff

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You know what would've been really cool? Imagine if they announced ARMS getting a character in Smash as usual, but what if they deconfirmed one character every week up until the reveal?

I think that would've been a really good way to get people engaged and learn even more about the ARMS cast than they already are now.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know what would've been really cool? Imagine if they announced ARMS getting a character in Smash as usual, but what if they deconfirmed one character every week up until the reveal?

I think that would've been a really good way to get people engaged and learn even more about the ARMS cast than they already are now.
I don't think it would be that interesting. They'd mostly disconfirm the characters that don't make sense as picks, and if they disconfirm Spring Man then we'll know it's Min Min, and vice versa.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I could see people getting upset about it, especially if a fan favourite gets ruled out somewhere in the middle, or if it comes down to two fan favourites with the fanbase heavily divided between them.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

But what if it’s multiple characters?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Here’s mine.
Spring Man
Isaac
Shovel Knight
Saki Amamiya
Bomberman
Sukapon

blackghost

Smash Champion
while shadowverse is an incredible cardgame less random than hearthstone and easier point of entry than magic, it is not getting consideration over granblue or dragalia lost.
granblue had notable support before ultimate came out. shadowverse had none that i saw. Even fate/stay night had more support than shadowverse did.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think it would be that interesting. They'd mostly disconfirm the characters that don't make sense as picks, and if they disconfirm Spring Man then we'll know it's Min Min, and vice versa.
Either way, it's more than what they're doing right now, which is nothing. Even if the obvious choices don't get deconfirmed until the reveal, at least we'd be able to narrow down the options.

I could see people getting upset about it, especially if a fan favourite gets ruled out somewhere in the middle, or if it comes down to two fan favourites with the fanbase heavily divided between them.
Maybe, but aren't people going to be upset/divided either way? We already have that now with people who think it'll be Spring Man due to his mascot status and people who think it'll be Min Min due to her popularity.

It was just an idea to get people more engaged. The final outcome really wouldn't change.

But what if it’s multiple characters?
Multiple characters deconfirmed each week or multiple characters making it to the end?

If it's the latter, then that's actually what I imagined happening. Maybe 5 or less characters in the final spots.

ZelDan

Smash Master
1. Springman obviously
2. Isaac
3. Shovel Knight
4. Bomberman. Neutral to him myself but I know others really want/wanted him.

Don't even know what other 2 ATs I'd want promoted following the strict "not from a series with playable rep" rules.

toonito

Smash Ace

Here’s mine.
Guile
Zero
Bomberman
Ghirahim
Waluigi
Gray Fox

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom