• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I have a few fighter concepts I'd like to see in Smash, can you guys give me a character that could fit these? It's a semi-"sell me on" concept.
  1. Somebody who starts out overpowered at the beginning of a match, for whatever reason, but over time gradually loses steam. Maybe a character who starts with amazing range, over time slowly getting worse. Maybe a character who has really good bursts of speed and atrocius sustained speed, be it in movement or attacks. A loss of non-renewable resources for fantastic moves: basically Wonderwing, the character?
  2. The opposite concept to the first one; starts relatively to very underpowered, but through either skilled play or gathering resources, becomes much more powerful. (This is actually how I envision Arle playing, though she's relative and not very.)
  3. A more fundamentals focused character who has a pretty good everything, but no major x-factor ability or move that defines them. They just do what they do really well.
  4. Somebody who's focused on edgeguarding, being really bad at getting outright kills but having a lot of tools to cause gimps or dunk opponents offstage. Would likely be packaged with a good recovery, but that's not important.
  5. Somebody who can't get blast zone KO's, or edgeguard very well, but can straight up instakill with a move when the opponent is at a high enough percent. Likely a special move, but it could be any move you want.
  6. A supporter character built for team matches, having moves to heal teammates and immobilize or otherwise pacify opponents, but being not very good in one-on-one matches.
6 could be White Mage from FF, or any such healer character.
3...what about a crazy idea of mine: the fighting polygon from 64

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's my point. They don't care about accuracy. They just go with what is just an easy thing to do at the time.
Except it's not inaccurate at all. Captain Toad is a Toad that found a head lamp and voila! Original character. A Toad evolving into Captain Toad doesn't not make sense in any way.

Vol 2 isn't finishing until 2021 and things are definitely getting delayed. With the delays and smaller development team it's extremely likely they're going to be done with Ultimate once Vol 2 is finished.
But not 100% likely. We said basically the same thing about Fighters Pass Vol. 2 as well.

Novice Spirit I want in Smash? This is sort of cheating, but it would give us another Zelda character.

View attachment 269347

I really want a Zora in Smash. Ruto, Mipha, Sidon — any of them would do. I think it's time we start repping other species in the Zelda universe outside Hylians and technically the Gerudo.
Zora Link: "Allow me to introduce myself."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Anyway, to move onto something more productive, if you could pick one spirit to upgrade to playable, who would you pick? However, there's a condition: it must be a Novice spirit.
ay.png

jokes on you waluigi wins again

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Zora Link: "Allow me to introduce myself."
Not sure if this was intentionally a One Piece reference or not,
since a certain Fishman recently reintroduced himself with (depending on the translation that you read) those same words.

I'll like it anyway, since that's what it reminded me of.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except it's not inaccurate at all. Captain Toad is a Toad that found a head lamp and voila! Original character. A Toad evolving into Captain Toad doesn't not make sense in any way.
Well, no, I doubt they meant the race either. But the specific person.

But that's fair. Could be either way.

Note my other points about using a fan design and not paying attention to how the Absolute Safety Capsule works for actual examples of clear inaccuracy.

Likewise, the Nipper Plant thing isn't really accurate either. They're really unrelated besides both being plants, heh.

D

Deleted member

Anyway, to move onto something more productive, if you could pick one spirit to upgrade to playable, who would you pick? However, there's a condition: it must be a Novice spirit.
Finally.....

At long last....

Goku joins the battle!

Edit: Aaaaannnd broken image....
:facepalm:Just click here....

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's a Twitter that shows off silly power ratings:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SBUMorePowerful
Some of these make sense: Baby Mario (Superstar Mario) is literally invincible, and Zero is not.

Others...Don't: Starfy is more powerful than Sigma.

Even if it's technically a Zora, it would stink if Sakurai's answer to the long gap between Zelda characters is Link #4.
Sakurai: "I noticed there weren't enough Zelda characters, so I added a whole bunch. Say hello to Classic Link, Zora Link, Deku Link, Goron Link, Bunny Link, Wolf Link & Midna, Link & Epona, Linkle, Team Link, CDI Link, and Lonk."

EDIT: "Oh! And Dark Link too!"

Not sure if this was intentionally a One Piece reference or not,
since a certain Fishman recently reintroduced himself with (depending on the translation that you read) those same words.

I'll like it anyway, since that's what it reminded me of.
Nah I don't watch One Pie-I mean I was totally making a One Piece Reference!

nah dude it's the veggietales meme

View attachment 269349
Curses! Caught red handed!

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Finally.

She's in. (Plague Knight also works too, there's actually a surprising amount of novice spirits that I like)

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Finally, it's her time to shine!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Let's see which ones catch my eye:

Prince Peasley, Ninja Kong, Smeargle, Absol, Boney, Owain, Snake Man, Napalm Man, Knight Man, Sword Man, and Beetle (THERE'S AN EXCITEBOTS SPIRIT AAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!).

Of these, I'd pick Absol.

Also, I noticed Dimitri (The Legend of Zelda) was renamed due to Dimitri (Fire Emblem)'s introduction.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I have a few fighter concepts I'd like to see in Smash, can you guys give me a character that could fit these? It's a semi-"sell me on" concept.
  1. Somebody who starts out overpowered at the beginning of a match, for whatever reason, but over time gradually loses steam. Maybe a character who starts with amazing range, over time slowly getting worse. Maybe a character who has really good bursts of speed and atrocius sustained speed, be it in movement or attacks. A loss of non-renewable resources for fantastic moves: basically Wonderwing, the character?
  2. The opposite concept to the first one; starts relatively to very underpowered, but through either skilled play or gathering resources, becomes much more powerful. (This is actually how I envision Arle playing, though she's relative and not very.)
  3. A more fundamentals focused character who has a pretty good everything, but no major x-factor ability or move that defines them. They just do what they do really well.
  4. Somebody who's focused on edgeguarding, being really bad at getting outright kills but having a lot of tools to cause gimps or dunk opponents offstage. Would likely be packaged with a good recovery, but that's not important.
  5. Somebody who can't get blast zone KO's, or edgeguard very well, but can straight up instakill with a move when the opponent is at a high enough percent. Likely a special move, but it could be any move you want.
  6. A supporter character built for team matches, having moves to heal teammates and immobilize or otherwise pacify opponents, but being not very good in one-on-one matches.
1. Was going to go with a Jill Valentine for this one since the RE mechanic of trying to conserve your resources seems like a perfect fit for the archetype, but RE got Spirit Boarded. Not sure who else could fit this archetype...
2. This sounds exactly like Phoenix Wright would play. At the start he's just a normal lawyer and things seem insurmountable against all these fighters, but once he builds his "case" by gathering evidence, his words begin to have more weight to them literally. I image once he gathers enough evidence, his speech bubble "OBJECTION!" would become powered up and a great kill move.
3. Ryu Hayabusa, I feel like if he gets in he's gonna be pretty straightforward, higher mobility than most and some disjoint attacks with his sword, but still having some decent kill options.
4. Kat from Gravity Rush would be a good candidate for this since her games are all about flying around by shifting gravity. She wouldn't be the heaviest hitter in smash, but she could be very same off stage by so her strategy would likely revolve around edge guarding. I think also NiGHTS would work in this concept as well.
5. Scorpion could work thematically, maybe have a fire breathing move that instakills at high enough health and would be pretty good way to make Fatalities work in a PG way since it would just be a burst of flames with no blood.
6. Cooking Mama would be a very fitting team player, but I still don't like the idea of a character that is designed around team battles since they would be over-centralizing in that mode and forgettable in 1 on 1 matches.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The opposite concept to the first one; starts relatively to very underpowered, but through either skilled play or gathering resources, becomes much more powerful. (This is actually how I envision Arle playing, though she's relative and not very.)
I’ll combine the two and suggest Nick from Captain Rainbow, and getting better turns him into of course Captain Rainbow

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Cooking Mama would be a very fitting team player, but I still don't like the idea of a character that is designed around team battles since they would be over-centralizing in that mode and forgettable in 1 on 1 matches.
dude after cooking mama went deep into that cryptocurrency conspiracy i dont think she's ever coming to smash lol

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
(I just rewatched the Rise of Skywalker, so Star Wars is going to be on my mind for a while)

The Shake King from Wario Land: Shake It. No idea why the final boss of a game is a Novice spirit, but he is.

Alternatively, Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness.

I'm torn - on one hand, Eternal Darkness would bring a lot more to Smash, and I'd love to see the potential stages as well as how the developers would incorporate the game's magic system, but on the other hand, I really want to see Smash Bros. give us more content from the Wario Land games. (which were seemingly the reason why people wanted Wario in Smash to begin with)
I would be so damn happy if The Shake King was a fighter.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
https://sourcegaming.info/2020/03/23/sakurai-on-covid/ BTW, here's the outright link to it. ...Okay, that's an older interview. My bad. Still, it's important to keep in mind.

Sakurai knows development could temporarily stop.

Notice how he does not say it would actually stop any plans outright? Yeah. He isn't going to be outright stopped from the idea of bonus DLC. There's no reason to believe it cannot happen. There's no reality in which Sakurai has declared it's 100% over after this. Yes, that could happen too. I'm leaning towards it being that way due to COVID19.

For the record, the only thing that seems desperate is to shut down extra possibilities. There's zero evidence we can't have anything more. We only have a case where Sakurai is repeating what he said with the last DLC period. And what do you know, things changed. Of course we might just get these 6. We have one bonus DLC(that has no tangible evidence proving it was ever base to begin with. Those all are inconclusive as is), nothing stating this is "it" either. What we do have is Sakurai saying he has no current plans for more. That's all it means. He hasn't made more decisions. Yet.
I fail to see how the project being delayed for COVID-19 means bonus DLC. I feel like you want more DLC and you are making up any reason to justify that. Sakurai has said they are done after FP2. Keep in mind the end date is Dec 2021. Even if they beat it (they likely will, most DLC Nintendo makes does), you'd talking about development that has extended for an extra 3 years. It's done after this FP. Just accept that.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ryu Hayabusa, I feel like if he gets in he's gonna be pretty straightforward, higher mobility than most and some disjoint attacks with his sword, but still having some decent kill options.
Speaking of, I was just watching this earlier but imagine if he had his windmill shuriken and you’d be able to pull of this stunt at 19:22:

BZocky

Smash Ace
The infamous purple Mario spinoff villain heavily associated with Wrecking Crew himself... Eggplant Man.
WC_Eggplant_Man.png

Either him or Princess Shokora from Wario Land 4.
nevermind on the eggplant guy she might be the better choice

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If Spring Man is FP6, and Springtron replaces his old Assist Trophy, does that confirm this scenario?
Metal_Knuckles_Archie.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we ever got a Pegasus Knight character (probably Caeda), it would be pretty cool if they added a bunch of other Pegasus Knights as alternate costumes. This way you could draw from the various attack animations from throughout the series to make a more cohesive moveset. Their Final Smash would be the Triangle Attack, calling in two of the other playable Pegasus Knights (or perhaps even two non-playable characters from the playable character's game) to combo the opponent into oblivion.

I wonder who you should pick for this though. They'd all have to be of similar height and proportion, and not be known for something specific like Minerva is more well known as a Wyvern Rider.

If Spring Man is FP6, and Springtron replaces his old Assist Trophy, does that confirm this scenario?
Is that a cannon character?

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I love how people are more excited about what might happen after Arms than Arms itself, like, bruh.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
If we ever got a Pegasus Knight character (probably Caeda), it would be pretty cool if they added a bunch of other Pegasus Knights as alternate costumes. This way you could draw from the various attack animations from throughout the series to make a more cohesive moveset. Their Final Smash would be the Triangle Attack, calling in two of the other playable Pegasus Knights (or perhaps even two non-playable characters from the playable character's game) to combo the opponent into oblivion.

I wonder who you should pick for this though. They'd all have to be of similar height and proportion, and not be known for something specific like Minerva is more well known as a Wyvern Rider.
Tangential discussion, would a horse rider be too big for Smash?
Personally, I feel that so long as you can scale them to fit comfortably underneath a Battlefield platform, it should work.
1587005172205.png

ZelDan

Smash Master
People always talk about Springtron replacing Springman as an AT if Springman becomes playable.

But why not have Springman replace Springman as an AT?

142831078d8a446ebc2e5887b75f83c3.jpg

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
As far as I know the whole cryptocurrency thing was debunked.
There was never any cryptocurrency mining inside the Cookstar, overheats were due to the game being poorly optimized.

Planet was licensed to make a Cooking Mama game by the IP holder Office Create. Planet also has a cryptocurrency themselves called Rocketcoin, but all the buzzwords about blockchains were just hot air to hype up their tokenholders to buy more Rocketcoin, since even the game developers say it doesn’t have blockchain technology in it.

Essentially, Planet was not reaching Office Create’s expectations with the quality of the game and demanded that they improve it before releasing it. Planet ignored them and went to release Cookstar without the consent of Office Create. Office Create used their connections at Nintendo to help suppress the game, which is why it wasn’t in the Nintendo direct and why it got removed from the Nintendo online store.

All of this controversy fall on the developer Planet, and all of the people in charge already cut ties with the company, cashed in their Rocketcoins when they peaked in value before the inevitable controversy hit, and bailed considering that Planet’s LikedIn is empty now.

If Office Create sue Planet, they’re going to suing a mostly empty company, while the people behind this all made millions through selling their cryptocurrency and will likely not face any legal consequences since they’re no longer tied to the company. It’s sad really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom