• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I could be totally wrong since I'm just going off the google translate, but it sounds like they're old sketches that they recently found and are considering sending to Monolith Soft, not something they just drew.
Well, that's interesting. Thanks for the find.... I wonder why he would want to send them to Monolith? Hmmmm plot thickens.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You're kidding yourself if you think any of the characters I mentioned have a lot of demand.
Well, Lara Croft would be decent, she certainly deserves more demand, having main franchise appearances on Nintendo consoles and being incredibly iconic (probably one of the most famous female video game leads of all time alongside Samus).
I honestly don't think she would be any less impossible than Crash, Spyro, or Sora (or Snake, Cloud, and Joker for characters already in).

The rest of them, ehhh..... either too niche or fall into "never been on a Nintendo console" territory.

The thing about both Master Chief and Lara Croft is that we're likely not to get another Square/Microsoft rep this DLC cycle, so at best they would have to wait for the next game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, that's interesting. Thanks for the find.... I wonder why he would want to send them to Monolith? Hmmmm plot thickens.
Maybe you should try having Ayumi help you translate it. An HD remake of Saga would be cool.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
That was just my interpretation of the shaky google translate, I wouldn't draw conclusions until someone actually translates it. If they did want to send the sketches to Monolith, my guess would be for art books or archive purposes. That confused me as well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, Lara Croft would be decent, she certainly deserves more demand, being incredibly iconic and having main franchise appearances on Nintendo consoles.
I honestly don't think she would be any less impossible than Crash, Sora, Spyro, or Cloud/Joker.
The rest of them, ehhh..... either too niche or fall into never been on Nintendo console territory.
I agree, Lara Croft should by all means have more demand, yet she doesn't. That's the whole point I was making.

And just for fun:

GTA has games on Nintendo platforms.
Grim Fandango is on Switch.
Deus Ex has games on Nintendo platforms (Adam Jensen being the protagonist).
Half-Life I could have sworn had been on Nintendo, but turns out it wasn't. You got me there.

Out of those franchise, the only one that could be considered niche is Grim Fandango, but no more niche than something like Bayonetta.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're kidding yourself if you think any of the characters I mentioned have a lot of demand.
And there's the problem with what you said earlier. You literally said they have "no fan demand", yet at least two of those characters have actual support threads. Which actually proves what you said wrong. Now, I shouldn't have said "they have tons of fan demand", because that unintentionally made you move the goalposts to a completely different point that you weren't originally making. Though to be fair, did you actually mean "have little fan demand" in the first place and just misspoke?

Though yeah, saying they had a lot of fan demand is incorrect on my part. But acting like nobody wants them is a bit ridiculous too. Please try to look outside of the Smash bubble here. Many of them have some demand, even if it's small. Multiple characters have demand, regardless of what systems they're on or being even a video game character or not. Some are popular picks. To give an example, I've seen a lot of tier makers, which constantly has "DLC picks". I see characters like Lara Croft and Gordon Freeman fairly often. If there was no demand by anyone, why on earth would they put that as a DLC pick that they clearly think is worth noting? Or basically, there's evidence outside of the Smash bubble that multiple characters people don't look at are still wanted. Highly wanted, yeah, that's way more debatable and not worth delving into.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I agree, Lara Croft should by all means have more demand, yet she doesn't. That's the whole point I was making.

And just for fun:

GTA has games on Nintendo platforms.
Grim Fandango is on Switch.
Deus Ex has games on Nintendo platforms (Adam Jensen being the protagonist).
Half-Life I could have sworn had been on Nintendo, but turns out it wasn't. You got me there.

Out of those franchise, the only one that could be considered niche is Grim Fandango, but no more niche than something like Bayonetta.
Unironically I'd love to see Manny or Guybrush Threepwood in Smash. But we all know that ain't happening.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And there's the problem with what you said earlier. You literally said they have "no fan demand", yet at least two of those characters have actual support threads. Which actually proves what you said wrong.

Though yeah, saying they had a lot of fan demand is incorrect on my part. But acting like nobody wants them is a bit ridiculous too. Please try to look outside of the Smash bubble here. Many of them have some demand, even if it's small. Multiple characters have demand, regardless of what systems they're on or being even a video game character or not. Some are popular picks. To give an example, I've seen a lot of tier makers, which constantly has "DLC picks". I see characters like Lara Croft and Gordon Freeman fairly often. If there was no demand by anyone, why on earth would they put that as a DLC pick that they clearly think is worth noting? Or basically, there's evidence outside of the Smash bubble that multiple characters people don't look at are still wanted. Highly wanted, yeah, that's way more debatable and not worth delving into.
By 'no fan demand' I meant 'virtually no fan demand'. I didn't find the distinction to be necessary, but I guess I was mistaken. Apologies for the confusion.

My point being, Banjo without his heavy association to Nintendo would just have Adam Jensen support, not Banjo support. And without Banjo support, Banjo wouldn't have gotten in. (Hell, even with all the support, without Banjo's heavy Nintendo association he might have been Geno'd and we'd have Master Chief instead.)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So, here's something fun. Not only is it a nice little interview, it also hammers home the timeline in which Banjo was finalized and Grant was contacted. Perhaps some of these previous deconfirmations were simply because their creators didn't know at the time, or perhaps Mick Gordon needing people to help with "a video game" in January has some significance...

Or maybe Travis Touchdown has a chance after all...
Neither Grant nor Steve have any legal connection to Banjo. Unlike most other disconfirmations, these two would not be in the know unless they needed to know and, in Grant's case, he did as he made a track for Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
By 'no fan demand' I meant 'virtually no fan demand'. I didn't find the distinction to be necessary, but I guess I was mistaken. Apologies for the confusion.

My point being, Banjo without his heavy association to Nintendo would just have Adam Jensen support, not Banjo support. And without Banjo support, Banjo wouldn't have gotten in. (Hell, even with all the support, without Banjo's heavy Nintendo association he might have been Geno'd and we'd have Master Chief instead.)
Eh, I disagree. I think his gaming history, along with his game being highly popular and iconic alone was enough. But let's not get into it again then(likewise, I'm not going to get into it again with anyone else either).

Thanks for clearing that up.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At least Guybrush has been in Wiiware installments. Also, an assist in Card Sagas War, if that counts for anything, although fan works rarely do.
...I'll gladly take it as counting if we count M.U.G.E.N.

Any excuse to make Brian more notable is worth it.

Joking aside, a lot of these niche/less demanded characters still sound like fun additions to me~ But frankly, any video game character getting in could be fun as is. Yes, the statement is intended as vague as it sounds.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
To be fair to Lara in her peak she was legitimately the 3rd most popular character in videogames for a good chunk of time in the 90s. Big enough even to be referenced in other media and was the focus of the(former) highest grossing videogame movie in the States.

But then Angel of Darkness happened and she fell pretty hard. Even after successes like Legend or 2013 she still struggled to achieve her peak fame again.

I honestly feel like she is probably the most underrated character choice, but due to her being a SquEnix IP now her chance of getting into this fighters pass is pretty slim now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...I'll gladly take it as counting if we count M.U.G.E.N.

Any excuse to make Brian more notable is worth it.

Joking aside, a lot of these niche/less demanded characters still sound like fun additions to me~ But frankly, any video game character getting in could be fun as is. Yes, the statement is intended as vague as it sounds.
That is fair. They just need to be noticed, is all. Like Master Higgins and Bonk.

In any case, we simply don't know who's really likely to get in next, and that's fun for me to anticipate.

kCxWGSH.gif

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Striking while the iron is ice-cold, but I heard some rumblings about a theoretical first-party DLC pack. Threw together this short list of candidates, under the condition that the fighter cannot already be represented as a Spirit or Assist Trophy and to limit it to one per franchise.
  • Ganon (ALBW/Cadence of Hyrule/Oracle/ALttP)
  • Sylux
  • Adeleine
  • Porky
  • Mike Jones

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Striking while the iron is ice-cold, but I heard some rumblings about a theoretical first-party DLC pack. Threw together this short list of candidates, under the condition that the fighter cannot already be represented as a Spirit or Assist Trophy and to limit it to one per franchise.
  • Sylux
  • Adeleine
  • Porky
  • Mike Jones
Thinking about it, are any Kongs outright missing as a Spirit? Cause if I remember right, Nintendo bought out the Kongs that Rareware made. So those could be feasible ideas.

But yeah, there's a pretty low list of possibilities once you remove the entire Spirit selection from the 1st party pool.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Thinking about it, are any Kongs outright missing as a Spirit? Cause if I remember right, Nintendo bought out the Kongs that Rareware made. So those could be feasible ideas.

But yeah, there's a pretty low list of possibilities once you remove the entire Spirit selection from the 1st party pool.
MANKY KONG BARRELS INTO BATTLE!
1561179162510.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How could you possibly forget Manky Kong? He was a generic enemy back in Donkey Kong Country that only showed up once or twice!
Joking aside, I actually didn't play any of the DKC games. I never owned 'em. I did play Donkey Kong Land and DK64(of which I both own).

My only real experience with DKC outside of Smash was the TV show. I did watch a few LP's, but I more remember stuff like the Kremlings and the wasps(I forgot their name though).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
According to PapaGenos, Google Theory is still in play.
https://youtu.be/OU69BtoFZwo
I was curious about it ever since Hero was announced to be Luminary and Erdrick's official name. PapaGenos confirmed today that out of all the characters attempted in Google Theory, "Hero" was not one.
Though I said this back when Google Theory was hot and fresh, I am in the camp that dismissed Artorias due to Google's algorithm automatically associating Artorias with DLC, as other names of DLC packs triggered the Fighter's Pass ad.
So, if any leak/theory existing currently is true, I think Google Theory is most likely, followed closely by Mii Costume Theory. But my opinion on that theory is that it seems too "obvious". But that was also my opinion on Box Theory, which turned out to be accurate.

Finally, this is more of a hope than a genuine belief, but there was a glitch in the Smash Bros. website that added two DLC slots. It is most likely that Hero and Banjo were added before the dummy slots were removed, but the optimist in me thinks there a 10-15% chance that it could be my boys Crash and Spyro coming after the Fighter's Pass. They simply make the most sense as a pair of fighters.

So based on all this, I think our most likely candidates for DLC are Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd, Heihachi, Solaire, Chosen Undead, Leon Kennedy, Dante (There's a quote saying he'd have a Switch game before being a potential Smash Bros. Fighter.), Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Minecraft Steve.

If we were to make a tier list of potential newcomers, those would be my S, A, and Upper B picks.

But speaking of tier lists, who else thinks we should have a community voted tier list of DLC predictions?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was curious about it ever since Hero was announced to be Luminary and Erdrick's official name. PapaGenos confirmed today that out of all the characters attempted in Google Theory, "Hero" was not one.
Though I said this back when Google Theory was hot and fresh, I am in the camp that dismissed Artorias due to Google's algorithm automatically associating Artorias with DLC, as other names of DLC packs triggered the Fighter's Pass ad.
So, if any leak/theory existing currently is true, I think Google Theory is most likely, followed closely by Mii Costume Theory. But my opinion on that theory is that it seems too "obvious". But that was also my opinion on Box Theory, which turned out to be accurate.

Finally, this is more of a hope than a genuine belief, but there was a glitch in the Smash Bros. website that added two DLC slots. It is most likely that Hero and Banjo were added before the dummy slots were removed, but the optimist in me thinks there a 10-15% chance that it could be my boys Crash and Spyro coming after the Fighter's Pass. They simply make the most sense as a pair of fighters.

So based on all this, I think our most likely candidates for DLC are Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd, Heihachi, Solaire, Chosen Undead, Leon Kennedy, Dante (There's a quote saying he'd have a Switch game before being a potential Smash Bros. Fighter.), Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Minecraft Steve.

If we were to make a tier list of potential newcomers, those would be my S, A, and Upper B picks.

But speaking of tier lists, who else thinks we should have a community voted tier list of DLC predictions?
"But that was also my opinion on Box Theory, which turned out to be accurate."

Box theory was nothing revolutionary. People just easily calculated that "Hey, if you plug in all the renders with this amount of space there are some characters left."

In reality the biggest thing about box theory was just that Verge corroborated the last characters which just so happened to match the amount missing.

D

Deleted member

I think I'm missing something. How does the google theory still stands with the Hero in the game and no Artorias?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think I'm missing something. How does the google theory still stands with the Hero in the game and no Artorias?
I explained it in the post.
"Hero" was never a character name attempted for the theory.
And Artorias was likely an issue with Google's algorithm, as he was the name of a DLC pack. The names of other DLC packs triggered the Fighter's Pass ad as well. Artorias happened to be the name of both a DLC pack and a specific character.
Edit: Erdrick likely didn't trigger the ad, because the names of characters had to be specific. "Doom Slayer" triggered the ad, but not "Doomguy" or "Doom Marine".

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I explained it in the post.
"Hero" was never a character name attempted for the theory.
And Artorias was likely an issue with Google's algorithm, as he was the name of a DLC pack. The names of other DLC packs triggered the Fighter's Pass ad as well. Artorias happened to be the name of both a DLC pack and a specific character.
This entire theory hinges on people not knowing how Google’s search algorithm works, giving people just enough room to make vague guesses like this.

It also still banks on Nintendo paying for specific phrases way before these characters are revealed.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
This entire theory hinges on people not knowing how Google’s search algorithm works, giving people just enough room to make vague guesses like this.

It also still banks on Nintendo paying for specific phrases way before these characters are revealed.
I'm not exactly saying that I believe the theory so much as I think it's plausible.
As far as Smash Bros. leaks, the only one I have complete trust in is Vergeben.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Didn't Google Theory stop being repeatable? If that's the case then saying they didn't check Hero but not being able to confirm if it would have triggered it is a huge a red flag against it.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Didn't Google Theory stop being repeatable? If that's the case then saying they didn't check Hero but not being able to confirm if it would have triggered it is a huge a red flag against it.
To be fair, "Hero" is a pretty generic title and it was around the time where DQ speculation was either Erdrick or Luminary, not "Hero." Still find Google Theory to be a crapshoot, though.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

Tiny_Kong_MSS_art.png

Tiny Kong's modern design come to mind. Even odder since she could have easily just been an Evolved version of her kid Spirit that is in the game.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
  • Sylux
  • Adeleine
  • Porky
  • Mike Jones
also, as i have mentioned, Sacho (President of Olimar's company and major character in Pikmin 2) and several other noteworthy Pikmin spirits, but unless it's somehow to promote Pikmin 4, there's no real way.

also on the note of Porky, some friends and I have observed that not a single notable Mother villian was in as a spirit. Smash doesn't disrespect Mother much (what w the constant new Mother content being added), so extremely strange to see most notable villians just inexplicably gone.

i know for a fact Giygus, Porky are not spirits, and i'm pretty sure Gigu and Masked Man aren't either.

If that witch custom stage shown off in the 3.0 update vid was a tie to Banjo, that Ultimate Chimeria stage is a surefire lead to the Pig King himself!

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
i know for a fact Giygus, Porky are not spirits, and i'm pretty sure Gigu and Masked Man aren't either.
Masked Man is 100% a spirit, i struggled with that one a LOT.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Spyro is dead. Japan hates the series.

Dragon-Eater

Smash Rookie
What are the chances of Mach Rider?
No but seriously, out of the names everyone seems to think we might get.
I think we might get one of those and an outside the box choice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Spyro is dead. Japan hates the series.
Sadly.

While Crash is likely the most beloved western videogame character there from any third party company, Spyro sadly had the opposite reactions due to how badly they ported the first two games of the PS1 trilogy.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
also, as i have mentioned, Sacho (President of Olimar's company and major character in Pikmin 2) and several other noteworthy Pikmin spirits, but unless it's somehow to promote Pikmin 4, there's no real way.

also on the note of Porky, some friends and I have observed that not a single notable Mother villian was in as a spirit. Smash doesn't disrespect Mother much (what w the constant new Mother content being added), so extremely strange to see most notable villians just inexplicably gone.

If that witch custom stage shown off in the 3.0 update vid was a tie to Banjo, that Ultimate Chimeria stage is a surefire lead to the Pig King himself!
Giegue is not a Spirit, but...
You get the Masked Man Spirit by beating Adventure Mode.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
  • Sylux
  • Adeleine
  • Porky
  • Mike Jones
That last one is in an odd position, since his games are still West-only to this day when regional barriers are currently treated as an issue in regards to Smash inclusion.

Meanwhile, EVERYONE from Pro Wrestling is missing, as well as Plum from Mario Golf 64. Also, Professor Hector, but that's not really important, apparently...

Sadly.

While Crash is likely the most beloved western videogame character there from any third party company, Spyro sadly had the opposite reactions due to how badly they ported the first two games of the PS1 trilogy.
At this stage, he would need Ridley levels of support for him to stand a chance at all. I just hope the Crash/Spyro fans will be understanding if they see that Crash will have to get in alone.

What are the chances of Mach Rider?
No but seriously, out of the names everyone seems to think we might get.
I think we might get one of those and an outside the box choice.
Kind of 30% at the moment, seeing as Sakurai spent both his oddball and NES character points bringing back the Icies and introducing Piranha Plant.

View attachment 228913

Tiny Kong's modern design come to mind. Even odder since she could have easily just been an Evolved version of her kid Spirit that is in the game.
Especially since Namco Bandai was responsible for that specific illustration in Mario Super Sluggers, It's not like they wouldn't be able to find it either.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

Master Belch and the Masked Man are spirits.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I do actually really want Lara Croft. If she, Crash and Spyro had made it into PlayStation All Stars, I really do think it would have been less of a flop.

Those three making it eventually would finish off the 90s gaming icons for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom