• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I don't think it's really a "bad thing" and I would actually like a lot 1 or 2 bonus echo fighter thrown out there for 3$ like you said. But I feel like having a full echo fighter pass with 4 or 5 characters like some other users mentioned wouldn't really appeal to me. I don't mind clone, but I don't want 1/3 of the dlc cycle being clones. Also clones don't bring new franchises, which is what I enjoy the most about the dlc, and in the end if you make too many echo fighters it's still a lot of time and money that could have put somewhere else. Sure, having 5 echo fighters don't take the slot of 5 newcomers, but maybe it takes the time that could have been spend in 1 standalone bonus newcomer like Piranha plant.
Time and money have been wasted in different when it comes to Smash Bros, like making Assist Trophy and Mii Costume. Might as well put it into something actually productive like Echo Fighters. There are characters that people want to play as that are most likely never getting into Ultimate, like Dixie Kong & Shadow, so would be best to make DLC Echo Fighters so people can get those characters.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of upgrades, you know what brand that's due for a new game, already has strong company representation in Smash, dates back all the way to the NES, has consistent history with Nintendo, no spirits beyond the main character, and is widely known by everybody?

It is time y'all. If Spring Man gets in, nothing will stop me besides Sakurai himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Speaking of upgrades, you know what brand that's due for a new game, already has strong company representation in Smash, dates back all the way to the NES, has consistent history with Nintendo, no spirits beyond the main character, and is widely known by everybody?

It is time y'all. If Spring Man gets in, nothing will stop me.
Oh my god I forgot Bomberman was an Assist Trophy in Ultimate. What a pathetic waste of a great character. The disrespect is unbelievable.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

It is time y'all. If Spring Man gets in, nothing will stop me besides Sakurai himself.
Bomberman 64 spiritual successor for the win!

Bomberman would also be fun in Smash. Especially since the CPUs aren't dodos who constantly airdodge the second a bomb comes out.

D

Deleted member

Oh my god I forgot Bomberman was an Assist Trophy in Ultimate. What a pathetic waste of a great character. The disrespect is unbelievable.
It made more sense to me when Castlevania was the new Konami rep.

Bomberman 64 spiritual successor for the win!

Bomberman would also be fun in Smash. Especially since the CPUs aren't dodos who constantly airdodge the second a bomb comes out.
Meet me 8-player Bomberman ditto on standard Battlefield. Y'all wont last a ****ing second.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, your take isn’t congruent with the developer intent nor the vast reception, so I guess just enjoy your inability to understand more than a singular, narrow perspective, and the mad that comes along with that limitation.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I’d like Bomberman as much as the next person, but the real pathetic waste imo is people still going around spouting “disrespect” this and “slap in the face” that, embracing the go-to disposition of entitled children.
Not liking something isn't entitlement, it's expressing an opinion. You're allowed to not like everything that is made in Smash Bros.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not liking something isn't entitlement, it's expressing an opinion. You're allowed to not like everything that is made in Smash Bros.
Yeah but not liking something is different to claiming that something is disrespectful. The view that a character should be playable, and that anything less is disrespectful does kind of sound entitled, especially in regards to a pretty well thought out Assist Trophy.

This is mostly separate from my previous statement, but in my opinion, I think it'd be more disrespectful to completely ignore such a huge icon entirely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anybody can dislike something. But handling that dislike in stride and being able to factor in outlooks that might differ from your own versus whining about something consistently and apropos of the slightest inference while ignoring any outside perspective is the difference between how adults and children manage their feelings.

And the fact that you, presumably, don't seem to realize everybody probably dislikes some aspect of the game they haven't spent hundreds of posts bemoaning really only compounds the contrast.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
How DARE they pay homage to an iconic character by representing them in the game in a fun and enjoyable way, paving home the point that not every character in the game has to strictly be a fighter to count towards being meaningfully represented within the biggest gaming crossover of all time, in which a franchise being included is already an honor in and of itself. How FREAKING DARE THEY, THIS IS BOMBERMAN ERASURE AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK THIS IS THE WORST THING NINTENDO HAS EVER

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There is no waste of time by giving tons of iconic characters and fan favorites actual gameplay functions. It's 100% for the fans and always was.

The game isn't entirely just playable characters and stages. Music and regular items either. The game is a giant love letter to gaming as a whole. Assist Trophies, not unlike Poke Balls, are there to vastly represent the characters when they simply cannot be playable. Some weren't even considered for playability either. Same thing with Trophies/Stickers/Spirits. They serve a purpose. Hardly a waste of time when those purposes come with tons of gameplay to either get the specific thing in question, or because you can do stuff with the particular thing(use it in battle, read some cool descriptions, etc.)

Mii Fighters were specifically made as customizable characters so you can use them to recreate tons of characters. The costumes were created to help do that. With tons of high-quality costumes and only a few that look like some cheesy mascot costume from Chuck E. Cheese's, they did an amazing job in that regard. Very few characters who got costumes were actually considered for playable, as many were there because they're iconic characters as is. Like, let's see, the ones considered is a pretty small list; Isabelle, Geno(not necessarily during Smash 4, but definitely during Brawl), King K. Rool, Slime(Hero was who Sakurai and Nintendo wanted, mind you), Chrom. The rest there's no evidence to suggest that at any point(or a few I'm missing. Takamaru, I somehow missed, but there's probably more. You get the idea. They are not inherently replacements for characters who couldn't be playable). Funny thing is that many AT's were characters who couldn't make it in, something not highly applicable to Mii Fighters at all.

A lot of characters never really had a chance of getting in. The MIi costume is the best way to play as them or a loose interpretation of them and are honestly quite a fun idea. With customizable movesets and tons of combinations, they made them very unique. Only a few costumes, as I said, are actually a bad kind of design. Ones like Isabelle are actual butchering of the model. Same with the hats outside of Slime at best. As it's not basically an animal skin being put on, but a very good representation of them. Chrom looks fine. Black Knight looks pretty good. Toad looks fine. Goemon looks perfect as you can get. Premium Costumes are of slightly higher quality. Geno also doesn't even look like a Mii Fighter with how well they did it.

Nobody is arguing that the "these costumes disconfirm my characters" isn't a thing too. But some are just happy they can remotely play as the character when they were already a realist and didn't expect them to get in. Also, Takamaru's another really well-made costume, and fits pretty well.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I like Bomberman as much as the next person. More probably, considering I've been a supporter of him since Brawl (though I dipped a bit when he was superdormant). And I think his situation is unfortunate not just because he's an AT, but the fact that being revealed right at the beginning cut off his future potential support right at the knees (because were he not already in the game, he'd probably be fairly popular), but at the end of the day I'm just happy he's in the game.

Because it's all disrespect and slaps-in-the-face while hope is still alive, but when the game ends ends, people generally look back in retrospect as it nice that the character was there in the first place. I've seen this song and dance with Isaac. Because any candidate could just not show up at all, and it wouldn't be that inconceivable, especially third-parties. No new third-party is guaranteed. Certainly no new third-party is "owed".

Of course not everyone will share that view, but then again, I personally find the "better nothing than unplayable" stance to be a rather spiteful disposition. I mean, not getting everything you want as you want it isn't just part of Smash, it's part of life. You might as well appreciate what you do have.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
While I think Wynn takes it too far, I think people conveniently ignore how fighter representation is more attractive even to outsiders. It's specifically the lack of Mother 3 localization and new F-Zeroes that are big memes, and not the lack of new/localized games in series that only have AT representation in Smash.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace

Not gonna lie, I was kind of upset when Bomberman didn't make it in as a fighter. I don't play the games much anymore, but I grew up with the series as a kid and I've had some good memories with it.

D

Deleted member

I like Bomberman as much as the next person. More probably, considering I've been a supporter of him since Brawl (though I dipped a bit when he was superdormant). And I think his situation is unfortunate not just because he's an AT, but the fact that being revealed right at the beginning cut off his future potential support right at the knees (because were he not already in the game, he'd probably be fairly popular), but at the end of the day I'm just happy he's in the game.

Because it's all disrespect and slaps-in-the-face while hope is still alive, but when the game ends ends, people generally look back in retrospect as it nice that the character was there in the first place. I've seen this song and dance with Isaac. Because any candidate could just not show up at all, and it wouldn't be that inconceivable, especially third-parties. No new third-party is guaranteed. Certainly no new third-party is "owed".

Of course not everyone will share that view, but then again, I personally find the "better nothing than unplayable" stance to be a rather spiteful disposition. I mean, not getting everything you want as you want it isn't just part of Smash, it's part of life. You might as well appreciate what you do have.
I like to be optimistic and open-minded about my Smash speculation. Whenever I don't get a character I want or something doesn't go my way, I just gotta remember that this girl's life is ruined forever.

Untitled.png

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
While I think Wynn takes it too far, I think people conveniently ignore how fighter representation is more attractive even to outsiders. It's specifically the lack of Mother 3 localization and new F-Zeroes that are big memes, and not the lack of new/localized games in series that only have AT representation in Smash.
If you're saying that the series with fighters receive better optics, I would agree. But it's not like fighters and ATs take equal resources, and Sakurai just goes "hmm... AT for this one, I think!". Time and resources are finite, and thus not every "worthwhile" character can be made playable.

People act like if they weren't an AT, they would've been a character, but at the point ATs are even being made, the playable roster has already been decided (apart from clones, perhaps). If they weren't an AT, they would've been an even smaller role, or nothing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The rest there's no evidence to suggest that at any point(or a few I'm missing. Takamaru...
I believe there actually was a comment from Sakurai about considering Takamaru, but not adding him because no one really knew him. May have been in a Miiverse post, but I think it was in a column. Heck if I know which one though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If you're saying that the series with fighters receive better optics, I would agree. But it's not like fighters and ATs take equal resources, and Sakurai just goes "hmm... AT for this one, I think!". Time and resources are finite, and thus not every "worthwhile" character can be made playable.

People act like if they weren't an AT, they would've been a character, but at the point ATs are even being made, the playable roster has already been decided (apart from clones, perhaps). If they weren't an AT, they would've been an even smaller role, or nothing.
I know they don't take equal amounts of resources. I just know there's more to wanting a character to be more than an AT/Spirit/Poke Ball than having their icon on the character select screen, like actually being able to see them in-game when you don't play with items on.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I dunno, it doesn't look like they're ignoring it. They're just appreciating the tons of hard work put it into the content to give as much quality stuff as possible.

Playable or nothing is a rather poor mindset that ignores the reason they still got some content. Sakurai cares about the fans and wants to give them something too. Not even as a consolation prize either. But more he considers the characters to have tons of merit as is. Of course they're not the same kind, and nobody is asking anyone to outright be happy with what they got. That's unfair. They shouldn't have to be.

I believe there actually was a comment from Sakurai about considering Takamaru, but not adding him because no one really knew him. May have been in a Miiverse post, but I think it was in a column. Heck if I know which one though.
My edit was meant to cover that, actually. I clearly didn't say that well enough. >.<;

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, I was kind of upset when Bomberman didn't make it in as a fighter. I don't play the games much anymore, but I grew up with the series as a kid and I've had some good memories with it.
Same. I don't think Bomberman is a character that would make me jump out of my seat like Banjo did, but he just makes so much sense for Smash Bros and I have pleasant memories with his games.

Now if you give me a Max alt costume? Then I'll jump out of my seat.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If Spring Man getting promoted does hint at more promotions then how many more do you guys think we'd get? I'm thinking maybe two more. I don't know who I'd think they'd choose but I'd say maybe Rex and possibly Geno. I would have said Waluigi but he's only been acknowledged by Nintendo of America.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know they don't take equal amounts of resources. I just know there's more to wanting a character to be more than an AT/Spirit/Poke Ball than having their icon on the character select screen, like actually being able to see them in-game when you don't play with items on.
I understand what people want out of a character isn't them to show up for a few seconds, do something, and bounce, and I don't think anyone is saying you can't be disappointed. My most wanted character was made an AT again after a turbulent few months, and that was disappointing. But there's a difference between being disappointed and going on about what a transgression being cast in a supporting role is, especially years after the fact.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
give as much quality stuff as possible.
Do you really think Isaac's new moves just being more hand Psynergy is "quality content"? That's another reason why there's more to wanting an AT playable than their icon on the CSS.

D

Deleted member

If Spring Man getting promoted does hint at more promotions then how many more do you guys think we'd get? I'm thinking maybe two more. I don't know who I'd think they'd choose but I'd say maybe Rex and possibly Geno. I would have said Waluigi but he's only been acknowledged by Nintendo of America.
If I had to make a bet over who would be in, I would guess Geno or Rex.

Geno's a popular request and Rex is part of a strong relevant series that's getting a new release in May. Plus their content is relatively lacking. Geno only has the two spirits in Smash Bros, so he has room for a pass. Rex only has three music tracks, a couple of important party members as spirits, and no new stage, so they can squeeze a bit more into him.

I thought about Waluigi, but I think he lacks original spirits that would make his pass notable. It doesn't help that he doesn't have his own game like Yoshi, DK, or even Wario, so he can't bring anything that's distinctly his own. I could be wrong and Sakurai could go nuts with the Mario spinoffs, but those already have a sizable amount of content too.

So to answer your question, I only expect two more upgrades, and that's because there are only two characters I expect to get upgrades. Bomberman would be a miracle and I think his chances make him possible, but the two I mentioned are probably what Nintendo will eye most and are priority.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do you really think Isaac's new moves just being more hand Psynergy is "quality content"? That's another reason why there's more to wanting an AT playable than their icon on the CSS.
Yes. Isaac was heavily touched up from Brawl. He also got a new Mii Costume(a rather nice one) and a Spirit.

It's a quality AT for sure. Him not doing every single move you want him to do doesn't take away from it being actually pretty high quality overall. They don't add crap content to Smash and never have. They actually fix up tons of models when they're still being worked on for the final version. This is just a case of "not doing what I want him to do". There is no lack of quality at all.

Frankly, I wouldn't dare to call anything in the final game some kind of low quality. Because it's not. It doesn't mean stuff like bugs can't happen, but that's because it's a giant game and coding is hyper fickle anyway. It will happen. The game had very little development time overall and a giant amount of quality content. So of course playtesting isn't going to catch every little thing. It's never done so for practically any game ever, why would it now? Playtesting only can do so much. How do you think people found exploits in tons of games? Cause playtesters are human beings and cannot magically see every little thing.

Tangent aside, every single Smash game is a quality product and has nothing of any actual lack of quality.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Definitely Geno, but I honestly don’t think Rex is getting in. If they really wanted to put him in then they probably wouldn’t have used the mii costume as an excuse to not put him in the base roster. It seemed like they were avoiding him for some reason. Is he not very well liked? I’ve not picked up 2 yet (I played Xenogears, Blade, and X though) so I don’t know the character very well.

Edit: Punctuation mistake.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Him not doing every single move you want him to do
Wanting a bit more variety =/= wanting the AT to have my ideal full fighter moveset.
They don't add crap content to Smash and never have.
Incineroar.
If they really wanted to put him in then they probably wouldn’t have used the mii costume as an excuse to not put him in the base roster.
They had already used ARMS' announcement date as an excuse for it not having a fighter in the base game.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
How DARE they pay homage to an iconic character by representing them in the game in a fun and enjoyable way, paving home the point that not every character in the game has to strictly be a fighter to count towards being meaningfully represented within the biggest gaming crossover of all time, in which a franchise being included is already an honor in and of itself. How FREAKING DARE THEY, THIS IS BOMBERMAN ERASURE AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK THIS IS THE WORST THING NINTENDO HAS EVER
When I think of Assist Trophy the last thing I would ever associate them with is being "fun" or "enjoyable." This is a video game where the entire point is playing the game, not looking at a thing move around for 15 seconds with zero input or control.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Definitely Geno, but I honestly don’t think Rex is getting in. If they really wanted to put him in then they probably wouldn’t have used the mii costume as an excuse to not put him in the base roster. It seemed like they were avoiding him for some reason. Is he not very well liked? I’ve not picked up 2 yet “I played Xenogears, Blade, and X though) so I don’t know the character very well.
He seems to be popular here, but I agree on your overall take on Rex. It’s not just the Mii costume - it’s the 2 music present in the base game that I see as incriminating against his chances as well, especially since all DLC (save for Piranha Plant) comes with music.

X doesn’t have music though... hmm...

SKX31

Smash Master
So the results of the last “poll” I did were pretty close, so I figured I’d do another poll.

Pick the 1 character you want to see get added to Smash the most.
I'm choosing the Master of Chefs. Gordon Ramsey = Master Chief confirmed

Aaanyway....

Ehh? Tough to say, but I'm leaning towards one at most.

To explain my approach, I just think it comes down to the possibility that Nintendo got contacted or reached out to much more than 4 third party companies (and then there's the small possibility of double-dipping, a la Steve / Chief). Two is possible I guess, but I'm not sure if that's something Furukawa and the other execs will see as worth it.

Of course, this answer is complete guesswork.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I thought about Waluigi, but I think he lacks original spirits that would make his pass notable. It doesn't help that he doesn't have his own game like Yoshi, DK, or even Wario, so he can't bring anything that's distinctly his own. I could be wrong and Sakurai could go nuts with the Mario spinoffs, but those already have a sizable amount of content too.
A simple solution, just make an entire spirit board made out of Waluigis :pow:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wanting a bit more variety =/= wanting the AT to have my ideal full fighter moveset.
Nah, I just realized I fell for your bait by trying to cherrypick my entire point while ignoring the actual point. There's nothing more to say.

Incineroar.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You know, it's kind of baffling that there are people who want fans of AT/spirit characters to get over it when it's people who didn't that contributed to this game's fighter roster.

People who didn't get over the loss of their favorite veterans.
People who didn't get over Sakurai himself believing Ridley's too big.
People who didn't get over Sakurai thinking Chrom wouldn't have been original.
People who didn't get over various anime swordsmen being more relevant than K. Rool.
People who didn't get over Nintendo selling Rareware to Microsoft.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I feel like AT's disconfirm got thrown out the window when they announced a Fighter's Pass 2 but I guess people are still clinging to the last way to decipher what the **** is going on in Sakurai's head.
If this is referring to what I posted, then I'm afraid you misunderstand me.

I couldn't possibly care at this point if we get upgrades. We get Rex and Isaac? Great! They've been among my most wanted for quite some time now.

I, and others like EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman , and simply making the point that what makes one Assist, Spirit, or other NPC "upgrade" happen does not necessarily mean specific others will happen. That's it. It's a perfectly logical argument. There's no nuance that we "want to be correct or remain correct" about something here.

We're on an internet forum about a video game. It's not that serious. I have been wrong before, I acknowledge this. At this point, I'm not even saying that additional upgrades can't be talked about. On the contrary, I think they should be talked about. However, I think within the possibilities that those characters are "back on the table" is, as it stands, taking a leap.

Not all characters have equal chances. They never have, never will. To imply now that all NPCs are "back on the table", I think mischaracterizes the reasoning with ARMS (as we can understand it), and the implications that has for other current NPCs.

I'm not latching onto something. I'm not afraid of something. I'm posing what, I feel, is a sound and logical argument.

That said, I think Rex stands a decent chance of being upgraded on the grounds that Sakurai considered him. As he is the "latest" in a line of JRPG protags, I could see Nintendo still going with him if another Upgrade were considered. There's plenty of factors involved though, but I suppose I will go into that at another time.
Just to expand on this further, it's the fact that the form of speculation I personally enjoy the most comes from trying to solve the puzzle of speculation and interpret more specific trends and ideologies behind character inclusions. It's never quite a puzzle I'll solve, but it keeps my analyzing and developing ideas about the game that I'm more than willing to admit can be, and have been, very wrong. That's the engagement I personally enjoy, and that generally speaking requires you to assess every single series and character option independently and to sort of attempt to see if and how it would fit into said puzzle that is Smash at this point. Simply put that kind of conversation on Smash is more fun and stimulating to me than just, "Everything is possible, let's talk about how much I love Chibi-Robo and what his movesets can be." Not only are there more specific threads for that sort of talk, but I've been talking Smash for 6 years on this forum and for years prior to that in general with anticipating eyes and those conversations have often just been so incredibly played out.

So that brings me as a commentator to a more, I guess, "clinical" approach to Smash that examines pieces of evidence and enjoys the thrill of the chase so to speak and that includes determining what is less likely than other things based upon evidence that includes precedent and where IPs/Characters are individually. I know that turns some people off from discussion and some people find that to just be gatekeeping. It's just a different mode of approaching and commentating on Smash than others who just want to support their favorite characters.

In a similar way to Jones, I'll be upfront and say there are characters that I'd love to see in Smash that I think are empirically dead and have no chance of getting in at this point despite my love of them and thus I talk about less frequently. Bomberman, for example, would be my absolute main pick for an Assist Trophy upgrade and I think he's a third party icon in his own right, but if Konami has no extended interest in the franchise (Super Bomberman R seems to be more of an aberration than anything else right now) and Sakurai just didn't see the moveset potential for him, I don't see him getting upgraded to playable at all. I would pop off at seeing him in, but I just don't think it's likely to happen and my commentary will reflect that.

Characters have reasons for ending up as Assist Trophies or Spirits in the first place and I don't think those realities fundamentally go away just because the base game plans that included the first volume of DLC are suddenly off the table with Volume 2. I've stated many times before that I think Spirits are fair game for Volume 2 and said that they would be for future DLC past the original Fighter's Pass since the beginning, as would Assist Trophies... but I don't think it reshapes the narratives around those conversations just because they don't have the "Assist Trophies can't be upgraded" narrative "pulling them down." Again, I'll go back to Golden Sun because I really enjoy that series and would like seeing it in Smash... Does anything change about its circumstances just because a different Assist Trophy got an upgrade? The honest answer is, not really. Those lines of reasoning don't go away just because the more lazy "Assist Trophies disconfirm" line is gone.

And naturally there will be personal bias to any commentaries I make as I've made it no secret I think very little of Spring Man compared to the rest of the ARMS roster that I consider actually interesting, creative, and not fundamentally annoying, but that's anybody when discussing something like Smash. I'm not scared of the idea of Assist Trophies being "back on the menu" so to speak, I just don't agree that a Spring Man inclusion would open up possibilities all that much and I'm also not particularly interested in conversations that are less willing to work with things like precedence and Nintendo as a business first for the reasons I stated above.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nah, I just realized I fell for your bait by trying to cheerypick my entire point while ignoring the actual point. There's nothing more to say.
I'm not trying to bait you. We clearly just have different mindsets, IE: I think having something already shouldn't be a reason to want that something to be something more, and I don't want Pokemon to have its own equivalent of FE's Marth stereotype.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Incineroar.
This is blatantly ignoring the huge amount of polish this character has. Its got nice fur textures (which I believe are really difficult to pull off), its Revenge indicator gives it an awesome look, and it even has a ton of fun flavor animations added to really sell the heel wrestler angle.

It may not be content people wanted, but it is by no means crap.

When I think of Assist Trophy the last thing I would ever associate them with is being "fun" or "enjoyable." This is a video game where the entire point is playing the game, not looking at a thing move around for 15 seconds with zero input or control.
You may not control them, but there's still your own character to worry about. If you just stand there they're gonna rough you up. Unless it's Starfy but that's kinda the point of him.

In other words, they may not be playable, but they're not just there for show either, and they do have a meaningful impact gameplay-wise (unless of course, you turn them off, in which case you never even see them).

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm almost certain on Waluigi. He has it all - he's both popular with the casuals and popular with the non-casuals (us). Due to being owned by Nintendo, licencing is cheap, and the AT gives them a start on animations and model. Due to the hugeness of Mario as a series, there's plenty of content available to be added. The obvious stages - Waluigi Pinball or Waluigi Stadium - have a brand new atheistic to anything else in Smash.

Aside from him, Rex, Alucard, and Chun Li are very possible. Geno and Paper Mario are plausible if they don't add Waluigi (and the rumors line up for the latter), and I guess they could add Gengar or Gardevoir if they want to promote PMD with a character from the original.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Its got nice fur textures
Which made a hideous awkwardly-proportioned furry even more hideous.
it even has a ton of fun flavor animations added to really sell the heel wrestler angle.
It has a ton of animations that make it feel like a model swap of a human wrestler, you mean.

they do have a meaningful impact gameplay-wise (unless of course, you turn them off, in which case you never even see them).
Even if you do turn items on, those ATs aren't the only items that can smack you around/blow you away/lift you up/slow you down/bury you etc.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
It has a ton of animations that make it feel like a model swap of a human wrestler, you mean.
I mean, it be kinda weird if you could model swap him with a turtle wrestler or somethin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom