• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Are there any arguments against Mii Costume Theory, by the way? I haven't seen any convincing reasons not to think the last two characters will be from Capcom and Namco specifically. If it's true, then choices like Crash, Doomguy, and Ryu Hayubusa have little to no chance, while others like Jill, Amaterasu, and Pheonix Wright (Capcom) or Lloyd Irving, Jin/Heihachi, and Klonoa (Namco) become extremely possible.
Right now we're waiting to see what content comes with the Hero DLC. If the Geno and Chocobo costumes come with Hero, then the theory will become much more convincing. On the other hand if Hero does not come with Square Enix costumes from Smash 4, it will damage the credibility of the theory.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Right now we're waiting to see what content comes with the Hero DLC. If the Geno and Chocobo costumes come with Hero, then the theory will become much more convincing. On the other hand if Hero does not come with Square Enix costumes from Smash 4, it will damage the credibility of the theory.
Mii costumes on average come with about 6-7 costumes. Most of the time anyway. What other new Square costumes are you guys expecting to see? Besides the obvious Slime hat.

Likewise with when Banjo comes out.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Mii costumes on average come with about 6-7 costumes. Most of the time anyway. What other new Square costumes are you guys expecting to see? Besides the obvious Slime hat.

Crono and Sephiroth possibly, if that 7 names list is anything to go by. Those two are probably Costumes and/or Spirits.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Give us a Sora Mii Costume.
Kill me. End my suffering :bobomb:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

Besides a slime hat, the most obvious things would be for the Geno and chocobo costumes to return as stated above. I could also see us getting some of the DQ heroes that didn't make the cut a la the persona costumes. I could potentially see a mallow costume happening as well. I'd like to say more Final Fantasy costumes but I kinda doubt that will happen because of the way Square Enix is.

D

Deleted member

What other new Square costumes are you guys expecting to see, besides the obvious Slime hat.
SLIME T-SHIRT BABEE

I don't expect too much Mii Outfits from other franchises not in the game but of other DQ protagonists like the heroes from 1 & 2. Maybe a Mallow Mii Brawler Costume can happen, but I'm not really holding my breath on that.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Crono and Sephiroth possibly, if that 7 names list is anything to go by. Those two are probably Costumes and/or Spirits.
Not holding much hope out for Spirits at this point. Joker came with just Persona 5 spirits and then the various costumes.

I wish I was more hopeful, but I do doubt that we will suddenly have worthwhile FF representation in the game just because of Hero

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not holding much hope out for Spirits at this point. Joker came with just Persona 5 spirits and then the various costumes.

I wish I was more hopeful, but I do doubt that we will suddenly have worthwhile FF representation in the game just because of Hero
Could just be randomly patched in like Peachette and the Labo Spirits

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Reminder that this DLC isn't about "gaming icons" or whatever.

We just got ****ing Banjo, even though I'm a fan of his inclusion, the only speculated character more irrelevant than him is Geno. Banjo isn't a gaming icon... At all. He got in because people wanted him to, and because Sakurai had ideas for a moveset. He's almost a Nintendo character to be honest. The next 2 DLC could be practically anyone, and I doubt it'd be some of the "predictable" choices people here are saying.
Yet we also just got Dragon Quest Heroes, the biggest gaming icons in Japan and some of the more predictable characters based on sales data/franchise popularity. I agree the next two characters can be anyone, but that doesn't mean they won't be one of the "predictable" choices.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So we have

3 Sega characters
3 Konami characters
3 Capcom characters
1 Namco character
2 Square Enix characters
1 Microsoft character

Considering that the most characters a third party had in Smash 4 was two, I am going to predict three is the limit here. I believe another Namco character is likely, perhaps Lloyd. I am hoping of course for a first party character. Perhaps Geno could be the big finale, if two Square Enix characters are allowed in the same fighters pass.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If any Square Enix spirits are to be expected outside of DQ (and outside of being DLC/just added with a random event), I've always thought they'd do Octopath Traveler ones.

I do think Mii Fighter outfits will be a bit more restrictive, though. Returning ones and no-brainers like a Slime hat aside, I'm not holding my breath for very many character specific ones like the P3/P4 protagonists, on account of Square being very protective of their characters'/IP's images.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If any Square Enix spirits are to be expected outside of DQ (and outside of being DLC/just added with a random event), I've always thought they'd do Octopath Traveler ones.

I do think Mii Fighter outfits will be a bit more restrictive, though. Returning ones and no-brainers like a Slime hat aside, I'm not holding my breath for very many character specific ones like the P3/P4 protagonists, on account of Square being very protective of their characters'/IP's images.
I'm in the same boat. If we got anything past the previous stuff and DQ content I'd be thrilled, but very surprised. Even if we could land any more FF7 content, that'd be a huge coup. IPs in excess of that, like Chrono Trigger, Bravely, Nier, Tomb Raider, etc. would shock me.

And Kingdom Hearts is basically a fever dream imo.

StormC

Smash Hero
(About Capcom then Resident Evil)

Hi. Could you clarify the first sentence of your answer? I don't understand what it is.
The controversy of the gameplay exists, whatever I think. Joker also has a knife and a special shot to "throw".
The controversy of music is a little discussed: there is no iconic theme; players may be sensitive to tension music and be psychologically disadvantaged; the sad piano isn't suitable.
Box theory.

https://gfaqssb.fandom.com/wiki/Box_theory

Nintendo has the precedent of showing their hand on the Smash roster.

I really don't know where you're getting this thing with the music. It's a complete non-issue.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah this is partly why I'm kind of a bit iffy with the whole mii costume theory. Last time with Square we only got the Geno Mii costume and Chocobo hat, so I'm not as sure about how much ball they will be willing to play this time. We might get the aforementioned Smash 4 Mii costumes back and a Slime hat for sure, the others we will probably have to wait and see. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other missing third party mii costumes get included within those packs as well to bring everything up to the average number.

Microsoft on the other hand, I'm not really sure either, we'll probably get a few Banjo Kazooie costumes and probably a Minecraft costume. Maybe Master Chief as well, but I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I’d love to have all 8 octopath travelers as a spirit battle or as Mii costumes.

Dang now I got to come up with some spirit battles for them, all I know is that Alfyn has to be Villager due to his killer axe.

D

Deleted member

Why is it that most of us dismiss Konami's chances of getting a character in the Fighter Pass way more than Capcom? Both of these companies have 3 fighters (not to mention Richter and Ken being Echoes) and have a good amount of content in Smash from stages to music to even spirits. However, both of them don't have any mii costumes in the base game either. It could just have to do with Capcom doing a lot more with their own IPs than Konami, but I certainly find it interesting that there's hardly any talk about a possible 4th Konami rep.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Why is it that most of us dismiss Konami's chances of getting a character in the Fighter Pass way more than Capcom? Both of these companies have 3 fighters (not to mention Richter and Ken being Echoes) and have a good amount of content in Smash from stages to music to even spirits. However, both of them don't have any mii costumes in the base game either. It could just have to do with Capcom doing a lot more with their own IPs than Konami, but I certainly find it interesting that there's hardly any talk about a possible 4th Konami rep.
The most likely candidate is an AT. Who would they even add at this point? Frogger?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actually now that you mention it. Is Konami just not going to get any mii costumes at all? Not even a Bomberman brawler or Alucard sword fighter or something...?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think a lot of it is a combination of still having a bad taste about Konami from their actions a few years ago (there's a reason Snake was the big reveal for Everyone Is Here) as well as Capcom just having tons of IPs that would make great Smash characters.

Plus, Castlevania, Bomberman, and Metal Gear are the big ones they have and they're already repped. I guess more Castlevania would be cool (I'd love Alucard to be promoted next game) but who else do we have? Silent Hill? Suikoden? Contra would be awesome, but unlikely...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
The next most famous character of Konami is Bomberman who is already an assist. Next in line would be Goemon, who is much more niche in the west. Frogger was big back in the day, but he was the disadvantage of not having a identifiable design. The only other comparable characters in terms of iconicness, is pyramidhead who I really, really doubt would be included into smash.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think a lot of it is a combination of still having a bad taste about Konami from their actions a few years ago (there's a reason Snake was the big reveal for Everyone Is Here) as well as Capcom just having tons of IPs that would make great Smash characters.

Plus, Castlevania, Bomberman, and Metal Gear are the big ones they have and they're already repped. I guess more Castlevania would be cool (I'd love Alucard to be promoted next game) but who else do we have? Silent Hill? Suikoden? Contra would be awesome, but unlikely...
Goemon and Master Higgins are the only ones I can think of, honestly. People were hoping for Bomberman, but we got 2 Castlevania reps instead; which made sense to me since Bomberman is from Hudson an not a Konami original

StormC

Smash Hero
Actually now that you mention it. Is Konami just not going to get any mii costumes at all? Not even a Bomberman brawler or Alucard sword fighter or something...?
I think they'll get some, just later. None of the third party costumes were in the base game for Smash 4 or Ultimate.

Gray Fox swordfighter costume would be dope.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Goemon and Master Higgins are the only ones I can think of, honestly. People were hoping for Bomberman, but we got 2 Castlevania reps instead; which made sense to me since Bomberman is from Hudson an not a Konami original
That's a fair point. Goemon would be awesome. Shame he's rather niche. It'd be killer to get a new remix of Go! Goemon Impact!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm in the same boat. If we got anything past the previous stuff and DQ content I'd be thrilled, but very surprised. Even if we could land any more FF7 content, that'd be a huge coup. IPs in excess of that, like Chrono Trigger, Bravely, Nier, Tomb Raider, etc. would shock me.
Yeah, I'm going in with 0 expectations for that. There's no telling how much stuff we'll get at all. I think this is a situation of "lower your ecpectations, then be pleasantly surprised" for me.

And Kingdom Hearts is basically a fever dream imo.
In Smash? Or in general? :joyful:

...Sorry, I couldn't resist that. Nomura memes made by the KH fandom have cluttered my feeds lately.

Yeah, I mean... they were never a guarantee, with Snake out of Smash 4 and all. That said, their most requested character is an AT. They do have other choices (Zone of the Enders, Silent Hill, Frogger, Twinbee, Mystical Ninja), but I severely doubt most of them for various reasons.

Nevertheless, a Konami character in the FP would blindside basically everyone.

D

Deleted member

The most likely candidate is an AT. Who would they even add at this point? Frogger?
Yeah, I mean... they were never a guarantee, with Snake out of Smash 4 and all. That said, their most requested character is an AT. They do have other choices (Zone of the Enders, Silent Hill, Frogger, Twinbee, Mystical Ninja), but I severely doubt most of them for various reasons.

Nevertheless, a Konami character in the FP would blindside basically everyone.
Silent Hill and Contra are certainly the biggest franchises left from Konami that hasn't appeared in Smash, but I give the edge to Contra as Konami seems to at least do more with that franchise recently. A Contra collection was released on the Switch, and a new game in the series was announced at E3 (although it looks butt ugly). I'm sorta surprised Bill Rizer isn't in the game as an AT though, but there's still a feasible chance we could see Smash Bros x Contra, albeit a pretty small chance.

I do agree that Capcom has a lot more recognizable IPs though. It's mostly fascinating there's hardly any talk about a possible 4th Konami rep, but I get that there's very few franchises left in their brand that could possibly be a contender for the Fighter Pass.
I do think we'll get some Konami Mii Costumes at some point even if there won't be a 4th Konami rep. Maybe they could sell some Castlevania & Contra costumes if Ryu Hayabusa makes it in the Fighter Pass. Even though the Mii stuff are sold separately, they could sell those costumes as a Retro Mii Costume pack (and maybe even a Gray Fox mii costume for some Ninja related content as well).

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

The Hero from DQ 1, 2, 6, 7 and 10 and Geno (and maybe Chrono).

No idea on Banjo lol.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
The Hero from DQ 1, 2, 6, 7 and 10 and Geno (and maybe Chrono).

No idea on Banjo lol.
Hopefully Banjo comes with a Master Chief Mii costume.

Edit: Well looks like the final nail in the coffin against the Frisk and Waluigi "leak".

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Edit: Well looks like the final nail in the coffin against the Frisk and Waluigi "leak".
To be honest, I wouldn't use this as strong evidence in itself. Sabi isn't told everything, after all. She's just one of many leakers.

I don't believe it myself, but this just means one thing at best; it's iffy. There's a difference between being outright disproven and "take with a grain of salt". This is a grain of salt situation. The only leak to be outright disproven that was heavily talked about as of late was the Google Leak. I might've missed other ones, but that one comes to mind.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
To be honest, I wouldn't use this as strong evidence in itself. Sabi isn't told everything, after all. She's just one of many leakers.

I don't believe it myself, but this just means one thing at best; it's iffy. There's a difference between being outright disproven and "take with a grain of salt". This is a grain of salt situation. The only leak to be outright disproven that was heavily talked about as of late was the Google Leak. I might've missed other ones, but that one comes to mind.

The thing that seems to hurt the Frisk and Walugi leak is that no other leakers are backing it.
Thats why I said final nail, given Sabi's notoriety being involved in leaks. However you are correct she isnt told everything, that being said this is a leak that seems iffy at best.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace

Wait, does Sabi know about the next fighter or it is just a reminder that the paragon leak was fake?

Last edited by a moderator:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Wait, does Sabi know about the next fighter or it is just a reminder that the paragon leak was fake?
We don't know if she knows the next fighter. Given thats she is under a Cease and Desist from Nintendo. She's not allowed to leak anything from Nintendo, or at least for the time being.

That said, she was just stating that she believes the Paragon leak is fake.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing that seems to hurt the Frisk and Walugi leak, is that no other leakers are backing it.
Thats why I said final nail given Sabi's notoriety, being involved in leaks. However you are correct she isnt told everything, that being said this is a leak that seems iffy at best.
Okay, that's a lot more clear than what you said earlier. One leaker not saying it I wouldn't take too seriously. Nobody else backing it up, yeah, that makes a huge difference. I don't believe it for other reasons, but it feels dead to me now too. Thanks for the explanation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
While we’re on the subject of Microsoft reps

I feel like y’all sleeping on my baby Ori

Imagine that visually stunning stage they’ll come with

THE MUSIC THO :love:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think looking at 3rd party characters by company removes pretty much anything that makes characters interesting and more or less says, “That doesn’t matter, it’s from X company!”

If Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, or Ace Attorney get in, Capcom will have 4 characters in the game. However, it’s 4 different characters from 3 different series, and each is a series recognized by millions around the world (that’s really the only reason sales matter). It’s not that sales mean a series is confirmed, it’s more that “more sales= more exposure”, and big success for particular genres.

I’m also not sure that I agree with a few other points, those being:

1) lack of music
2) not surprising reveal if from Capcom and Namco
3) big series aren’t as likely because the others aren’t as big

A lack of music, especially for a series like Resident Evil, ignores the potential for plenty of remixes similar to other series. A remix of the Save Room themes throughout the series, the boss themes, as well as credit music, etc.

For the second...why would a high interest series being added to Smash be a bad thing? A series that many, many folks that know of Resident Evil, have played Resident Evil, or have an interest in playing Resident Evil, potentially moreso than other series.

I realize i’m focusing on one series, but I think it’s a good example. You’ve got a series that:
1) is extremely popular
2) provides for unique gameplay, settings, and side content
3) defined a genre

These are typically huge points in favor of a series getting into Smash.

Into the last point, Dragon Quest is one of the largest Japanese-created video game series not yet in Smash. The other series similar in size/notoriety to Dragon Quest, or at least is among the remaining two Japanese-created series, which happens to be...Resident Evil.

Banjo-Kazooie, while not being a “AAA” series, is a 90’s icon and has survived long enough in the hearts of fans to generate the hype it has. It’s by no means a “nobody” in gaming, though certainly not being top tier.

In this case, unpredictable does not automatically mean “good pick”. A Capcom and Namco pick might be “predictable” to some, but it’s negligible if you ask me. There are fans out there of specific series that have nothing in Smash, but would like to see their favorite series get in. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, even Ace Attorney all have fans of their own.

It’s not like anybody who likes the Capcom content in Smash already by default doesn’t want more Capcom content. It’s also silly to assume fans think that way as a whole. I’ve been over this in other threads, but Resident Evil and Devil May Cry are so unlike Mega Man and Street Fighter that they might as well be created by an entirely different company.

In my humble opinion, it should come down to what series offer the most through gameplay as well as unique content. Both Capcom and Namco have series that accomplish those in spades.

There really isn’t much “boring” about either of them.

(Also I don’t expect more than one character from any one company, but that’s just me)

Usually though, whenever anybody says a company has too many it’s because they just have a different preference...but they don’t say that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom