• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Not a wishlist, but a prediction for Banjo costumes:

Minecraft costumes for all three types
Mumbo Jumbo sword fighter
Master Chief Gunner

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It shouldn’t have taken Sabi to shoot down the Frisk and Waluigi leak.

Or at least, I thought it was fake from the beginning. I just don’t see any first party picks getting added at this rate, and especially not when you consider Waluigi.

Sure, you get the meme machine himself. But what Spirits does he bring? What stage? Music? It’s all Mario stuff, and it doesn’t really flow with what the first 3/5s of the DLC has proven to be.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah that Waluigi/Frisk leak was always very iffy to me too. I could see Frisk, mainly because Sakurai himself is an Undertale fan and could pull another Persona on us. But Waluigi was a bit too much of a red flag to me, mainly due to the reasons Scoliosis Jones brought up.

I don't really buy the Niconico riddle guy either.

Guess I'll just wait for Vergeben or whoever else is a bit more reliable to speak up, if they get any info.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The main reason why the Walundertale leak got so big was because of the screenshot saying some things that happen on Hero and BK's trailer alongside BOTW 2. It would've died a death had it not been for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I think at this rate, since we got two reveals at E3, we may not get the next character reveal until maybe September or October. Or until Obi-Wan Shinobi drops the next hint.

D

Deleted member

I think at this rate, since we got two reveals at E3, we may not get the next character reveal until maybe September or October. Or until Obi-Wan Shinobi drops the next hint.
I'm thinking we'll get a Smash related video on BK and the content he'll bring on September with a release date announced. As far as if they'll do a reveal, it'll have to be in the Fall Direct, which I'm going to guess will happen on October.

Interestingly enough, October would also mark the 31 year Anniversary for Ninja Gaiden. I'm still hopeful that we'll get to see Ryu Hayabusa in Smash sooner than later.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
One of the bigger Smash E3 surprises was that they brought back the HD trailers complete with crossover scenes. Honestly, these trailers are better scenes than the scenes in Subspace.

But it then begs two questions:

Are the final two going to get the same treatment?
If so, what scenes do you all except/wish to see?

I don’t see Crash happening, but I’ll admit he is the running. With that in mind I could see, and would really like to see a crazy Mario vs Sonic trailer the boils with intensity, and just when it reaches its dramatic peak, wham! There comes Crash out of no where to join the battle! It of course would end with no clear winners (much like K Rool trailer) because we don’t want to see Mario lose.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Glad to know that leak is fake. I didn't think that Frisk and Waluigi were the last two characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Also, I thought based on a typo and other questionable things surrounding the C&D that it was considered not as “legit” as some thought?

At least, from what I saw I thought it was fishy. Whatever though.
—-
Despite Crash fitting the “icon” part of a 3rd party (not that every character perfectly fits that) i’m not so sure that Banjo-Kazooie truly opens the floodgates for western picks like some folks think they do.

I view it as more of an exception than a norm. As in, I think they happened because of Microsoft becoming friendlier, and the history of the IP, and because of rumored plans to put an exclusive on Switch in the future. That’s not the same situation as Crash in the slightest.

I could be wrong, and to an extent I really think Crash would be a good pick. I just don’t really expect it.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I'm thinking we'll get a Smash related video on BK and the content he'll bring on September with a release date announced. As far as if they'll do a reveal, it'll have to be in the Fall Direct, which I'm going to guess will happen on October.

Interestingly enough, October would also mark the 31 year Anniversary for Ninja Gaiden. I'm still hopeful that we'll get to see Ryu Hayabusa in Smash sooner than later.

That would be the perfect time for Ryu Hayabusa's reveal. All we can do is hope, but I think he's definitely up there in having a shot at the Fighters Pass.

DpFCUS6VAAAHgxO.jpg

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So random thought, but as far as the last two DLC slots go, has anyone brought up the possibility of a Dynasty Warriors rep? Could that align with the supposed female fighting game character (assuming that rumor is still even alive at this point)?

Seems like it could be possible considering it is a long-standing franchise and also given that we’ve gotten multiple warriors games with Nintendo IP at this point. But I feel like I haven’t seen people discussing this as a possibility before? Or maybe I’ve missed it.

Tbh I wouldn’t be terribly excited about the prospect, but it occurred to me today and it doesn’t seem that outlandish to me.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
So random thought, but as far as the last two DLC slots go, has anyone brought up the possibility of a Dynasty Warriors rep? Could that align with the supposed female fighting game character (assuming that rumor is still even alive at this point)?

Seems like it could be possible considering it is a long-standing franchise and also given that we’ve gotten multiple warriors games with Nintendo IP at this point. But I feel like I haven’t seen people discussing this as a possibility before? Or maybe I’ve missed it.

Tbh I wouldn’t be terribly excited about the prospect, but it occurred to me today and it doesn’t seem that outlandish to me.
I highly doubt it, and this is coming from a huge Dynasty and Samurai Warriors fan. We have to keep in mind that Dynasty Warriors is based on the books Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The book is based on real events of the warring period of Shu, Wei and Wu. Not to mention the poster boy of Dynasty Warriors is Zhao Yun(which was a real person). There's no way they would add someone like Sun Shang Xiang over him. Zhao Yun is always chosen along with his Samurai Warriors counterpart Yukimura Sanada when it comes to crossover games.

Since they are based on real people, I do not see a Dynasty or Samurai Warriors rep happening. Its more likely Koei Tecmo will choose their next poster boy which is Ryu Hayabusa, and unlike Zhao Yun is not based on a real person.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The problem is other then I recall:ultlittlemac:no newcomers were ever revealed as a result of their anniversary.

Hayabusa would be very dope though. I'd welcome another ninja rep into the roster after:ultgreninja:and:ultsheik:

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, I thought based on a typo and other questionable things surrounding the C&D that it was considered not as “legit” as some thought?

At least, from what I saw I thought it was fishy. Whatever though.
—-
Despite Crash fitting the “icon” part of a 3rd party (not that every character perfectly fits that) i’m not so sure that Banjo-Kazooie truly opens the floodgates for western picks like some folks think they do.

I view it as more of an exception than a norm. As in, I think they happened because of Microsoft becoming friendlier, and the history of the IP, and because of rumored plans to put an exclusive on Switch in the future. That’s not the same situation as Crash in the slightest.

I could be wrong, and to an extent I really think Crash would be a good pick. I just don’t really expect it.
I'm in the same boat. Crash is the character left I would like to see the most but my expectations are pretty low. Sakurai even said he had hesitations about working with foreigners when collaborating with Kirkhope on the music.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I highly doubt it, and this is coming from a huge Dynasty and Samurai Warriors fan. We have to keep in mind that Dynasty Warriors is based on the books Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The book is based on real events of the warring period of Shu, Wei and Wu. Not to mention the poster boy of Dynasty Warriors is Zhao Yun(which was a real person). There's no way they would add someone like Sun Shang Xiang over him. Zhao Yun is always chosen along with his Samurai Warriors counterpart Yukimura Sanada when it comes to crossover games.

Since they are based on real people, I do not see a Dynasty or Samurai Warriors rep happening. Its more likely Koei Tecmo will choose their next poster boy which is Ryu Hayabusa, and unlike Zhao Yun is not based on a real person.
Ah okay. I had not considered that. I don’t really know much about the games since I’ve never cared for them. I just have a friend who was really into them at one point. So I had the thought and then couldn’t really come up with a reason that it couldn’t happen. But I agree, real life people would be weird in smash.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I am seeing a lot of stuff on my Twitter timeline that says Lloyd Irving is being heavily hinted at as the next character. Can't say I am thrilled by that to be honest.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Ah okay. I had not considered that. I don’t really know much about the games since I’ve never cared for them. I just have a friend who was really into them at one point. So I had the thought and then couldn’t really come up with a reason that it couldn’t happen. But I agree, real life people would be weird in smash.
No worries, I got super into the games because I love history. That later Han Dynasty period of China is pretty fascinating as is the Sengoku period of Japan. I recommend reading up on it, its a pretty fascinating read.

That said if there were a female fighting rep from Koei Tecmo, it would most likely be Kasumi from Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. Though I highly doubt they would choose her over Ryu Hayabusa.

Attachments

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
hinted at by who? i need names.
I can't really tell you my self. It's just a bunch of people saying how he seems the most likely based off something? I did find this picture posted as proof. But this was posted after we already knew about Joker. And Erdrick(Hero)/Banjo were already being hinted at for several months at that point. I'm leaning on this being pure lucky guesses and obvious predictions like returning Mii costumes and new modes.
1560987477858.png

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I have no real attachment to Crash, but I would love to see him make the cut just because he was Sony’s Mario in the 90’s and a lot of people grew up with him.

I know Sony had their All-Star game that was similar to Smash a few years ago. Was there any reason why Crash wasn’t in it? I always found that sort of weird. I don’t think Spyro was either, but I never played the game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No worries, I got super into the games because I love history. That later Han Dynasty period of China is pretty fascinating as is the Sengoku period of Japan. I recommend reading up on it, its a pretty fascinating read.

That said if there were a female fighting rep from Koei Tecmo, it would most likely be Kasumi from Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. Though I highly doubt they would choose her over Ryu Hayabusa.
Everytime someone mentions Persona 5 Kasumi, my brain keeps going to that Kasumi

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I am seeing a lot of stuff on my Twitter timeline that says Lloyd Irving is being heavily hinted at as the next character. Can't say I am thrilled by that to be honest.
Not surprising given how he's one of the top two contenders for the 2nd Bandai Namco rep, spot. The real question is if we get a Tales rep will it be Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell? From what I understand Yuri is more popular in Japan, but Lloyd is globally popular. I think both will be great choices, though I prefer a Tekken rep. Hopefully if Yuri Lowell is chosen they can get Troy Baker to voice him again.

Attachments

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm in the same boat. Crash is the character left I would like to see the most but my expectations are pretty low. Sakurai even said he had hesitations about working with foreigners when collaborating with Kirkhope on the music.
Source on that statement?

Can't believe I didn't think of Kasumi when all that 'female fighting game character' nonsense was going around. She's literally the only female protagonist from a fighting game with an actual shot. Then again they would definitely go for Hayabusa over her.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can't really tell you my self. It's just a bunch of people saying how he seems the most likely based off something? I did find this picture posted as proof. But this was posted after we already knew about Joker. And Erdrick(Hero)/Banjo were already being hinted at for several months at that point. I'm leaning on this being pure lucky guesses and obvious predictions like returning Mii costumes and new modes.
View attachment 228646
Interesting but means, at the end of the day, if true, the fighter pass is 60% JRPG and 40% 90s western 3D platformers.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
And some insiders heard Lloyd's and Yuri's names around the time of the VGAs as well. It seems pretty likely that DLC #4 will be from Tales. If that's the case hopefully the September Nintendo Direct has some Tales ports. Especially a Destiny Collection and Rebirth. If Trials of Mana can get localized many years after, so can the rest of the Tales game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I on the other hand would much prefer Nightmare over any other Namco rep.

Like come on how can you argue with such an sick and badass design like this? I really hope YsDisciple is right about his theory because Nightmare and Crash would IMO make the Season Pass perfect and just icing on cake.

It'd also return the favor of Link guest starring in the GameCube version of SCII.

D

Deleted member

It's amusing to me how all the video game franchises that have a Musou game are currently in Smash (Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, and more recently Persona) while Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors aren't in Smash at all. Even if the characters are based off of their real life counterparts, I just find it amusing to think about.

Of course, Ryu Hayabusa would have to be the top character for Koei-Tecmo to put in Smash, but if they went on ahead and put either Zhao Yun or Yukimura Sanada in Smash, I'd definitely be shocked, but at the same time, I'd be ecstatic that we're getting Musou music in Smash (and a possible remixed version of Lu Bu's theme holy ****).

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Interesting but means, at the end of the day, if true, the fighter pass is 60% JRPG and 40% 90s western 3D platformers.
I remember hearing somewhere that they wanted Smash DLC to appeal to different demographics (I can't give you a source so I might just be remembering wrong) and it being 60% JRPG and 40% 90s western 3D platformers seems like the complete opposite of wanting to appeal to different demographics.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I on the other hand would much prefer Nightmare over any other Namco rep.

Like come on how can you argue with such an sick and badass design like this? I really hope YsDisciple is right about his theory because Nightmare and Crash would IMO make the Season Pass perfect.

It'd also return the favor of Link guest starring in the GameCube version of SCII.

Im down for this, but only if they also give him a Siegfried costume. That would make it truly amazing if you could switch between Nightmare and Siegfried depending on costume. Even if its corrupted Siegfried I would still be happy.

Attachments

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Im down for this, but only if they also give him a Siegfried costume. That would make it truly amazing if you could switch between Nightmare and Siegfried depending on costume. Even if its corrupted Siegfried I would still be happy.
Another reason I'm down for Nightmare also is he'd be the first 3rd party villain.

Here's to hoping it happens!

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Ok finally someone else who doesn't want a third JRPG character
I'm not against Lloyd but i'm already really tired of RPG reps being DLC as is and Lloyd being in would just rub that salt in real deep
that's all i gotta say

D

Deleted member

I remember hearing somewhere that they wanted Smash DLC to appeal to different demographics (I can't give you a source so I might just be remembering wrong) and it being 60% JRPG and 40% 90s western 3D platformers seems like the complete opposite of wanting to appeal to different demographics.
The fanbases of Persona, DQ and Tales can be quite different, as while the three are JRPG, the games are quite different in focus and several things.

-Tales is more action-oriented and combat incorporates elements like combos. Aestheticwise it mixes fantasy with scifi, with more focus on fantasy
-Persona has dungeon crawler and VN elements. Aestheticwise I would describe it as urban fantasy
-DQ is pretty much the by the book JRPG, turn based. Aestheticwise is pretty much fantasy with some random mechas here and there.

Honestly I don't really know how much likely a Tales rep is, and honestly I don't mind one as they can have pretty fun movesets.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
It's amusing to me how all the video game franchises that have a Musou game are currently in Smash (Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, and more recently Persona) while Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors aren't in Smash at all. Even if the characters are based off of their real life counterparts, I just find it amusing to think about.

Of course, Ryu Hayabusa would have to be the top character for Koei-Tecmo to put in Smash, but if they went on ahead and put either Zhao Yun or Yukimura Sanada in Smash, I'd definitely be shocked, but at the same time, I'd be ecstatic that we're getting Musou music in Smash (and a possible remixed version of Lu Bu's theme holy ****).
Lol I still get horror flashbacks of hearing LuBu's theme song and remembering Do Not Pursue LuBu. That and Tadakatsu's theme song, when it popped out you knew you better run or get ready for a huge fight.

Id love Zhao Yun, as he does not fight like a normal spear user. He even has a move where he puts his legs on your head and twirls around hitting everyone nearby then throws you. He fights like a martial arts spear user and I love it. That said its just extremely unlikely, im hoping if Ryu Hayabusa is added. He will come with his remixed Unbreakable Determination song from Warriors Orochi. That electric guitar remix is just too good to not be in Smash.

Another reason I'm down for Nightmare also is he'd be the first 3rd party villain.

Here's to hoping it happens!
Im curious how they would handle his massive sword, as it could have the range of Simon's whip. Not to mention Nightmare would have to be a very slow, but powerful character. It would be neat if they incorporated Soul Calibur 6 mechanics where his armor breaks the more hits he takes.

Polan

Smash Lord
View attachment 228646
this leak in a nutshell:

seriously though why is this one catching on? at least other fake leakers put in their own unique claims. this one just seems like a collection of rumours.

SKX31

Smash Master
I have no real attachment to Crash, but I would love to see him make the cut just because he was Sony’s Mario in the 90’s and a lot of people grew up with him.

I know Sony had their All-Star game that was similar to Smash a few years ago. Was there any reason why Crash wasn’t in it? I always found that sort of weird. I don’t think Spyro was either, but I never played the game.
IIRC it was because Activision (who own Crash and Spyro) asked too high of a price for Sony / Superbot (PSASBR's dev team) to license Crash / Spyro. Something that might have kept Sony from licensing a FF character, Lara Croft, and other important characters. Those problems plus Reboot Dante (Don'te) and his presence made for a PR disaster, and Sony didn't exactly support the dev team / game as it needed to.

All-Stars has a very interesting story behind it - it's a massive shame they couldn't pull it through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom