• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It is arguably different. Robin's Final Smash was carried over from Smash 4, where Chrom was considered but ultimately didn't make the cut. If Sakurai knew Heihachi was coming as DLC for Smash Ultimate, it would be odd to have him make a little cameo in Pac-Man's moveset. But then again, who knows.
He know Fox, Falco and Samus were in the game but new Final Smashes still include them.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It is arguably different. Robin's Final Smash was carried over from Smash 4, where Chrom was considered but ultimately didn't make the cut. If Sakurai knew Heihachi was coming as DLC for Smash Ultimate, it would be odd to have him make a little cameo in Pac-Man's moveset. But then again, who knows.
Duck Hunt Dog and duck are both in he background of their stage and playable at the same time. The sprite isn't an issue.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If Heihachi is actually DLC then the taunt likely got made before the decision was finalized. Perhaps it was too late to remove it? Or maybe the team thought Heihachi was fitting with the rest of the Namco classics and decided to put him in regardless of if he was DLC or not. I suppose the taunt doesn't really mean much to Heihachi's chances. I think what's more important is the fact that Sakurai actually considered Heihachi during the development of the previous Smash game but dropped him in favor of Pac-Man.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If Heihachi is actually DLC then the taunt likely got made before the decision was finalized. Perhaps it was too late to remove it? Or maybe the team thought Heihachi was fitting with the rest of the Namco classics and decided to put him in regardless of if he was DLC or not. I suppose the taunt doesn't really mean much to Heihachi's chances. I think what's more important is the fact that Sakurai actually considered Heihachi during the development of the previous Smash game but dropped him in favor of Pac-Man.
Since Pac-Man was made as a representation of Nanco's arcade roots, putting Heihachi there was definitely intentional for the theme more than anything.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Altair, Ezio, Connor and Edward all have white outfits. The Fryes and Arno all wear blue. At a distance, it would be really hard to distinguish them. This is why Snake has several camos from Snake Eater instead of the various sneaking suits from the series' history; you can't have so many grey and black suits and have them stand out from each other.
Would it confusing? I play the games so I am not trying not to be biases. Maybe from an outsider?

If Ezio were ever a DLC character, I'd think Sakurai would pick three (ala The Hero) and roll with Altair, Connor and Edward's outfits.
That would be the dream! I would love that!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I can't say I want Heihachi. I get he is the face of Tekken. But there are different Namco reps I would much prefer over him.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
UnfitUncomfortableHarvestmouse-small.gif

When an Easter Egg prevents your father from making it into Smash

(Honestly I don't think Kazuya would be in unless they go with T3 Jin and he's an alt/echo)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Would any of you say that Heihachi appearing in Pac-Man's taunt means he's not DLC? The reason I'm asking this is because we know DLC was decided during the development of the game last year. If Heihachi got picked as DLC then they wouldn't leave him as part of Pac-Man's taunt would they?
I would, but then again I'm an idiot.

I would love to be proven wrong by Heihachi's inclusion. Imo he's the only Bamco character that makes sense outside of Lloyd.
Would it confusing? I play the games so I am not trying not to be biases. Maybe from an outsider?
It would be confusing from a visual standpoint. Despite their subtle differences, they're still four hooded guys in white cloaks.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I would, but then again I'm an idiot.

I would love to be proven wrong by Heihachi's inclusion. Imo he's the only Bamco character that makes sense outside of Lloyd.
To me Heihachi makes the most sense as the second Bamco character to make it in Smash. Although there's probably a bit of bias from me since I've played Tekken since the PS1 lol.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Here's an interesting character I don't see talked about very often: Captain Price from Call of Duty.

I mean that's WAYYYY down there in terms of likelihood but if Leon Kennedy is a possibility than so is a character from Call of Duty. I know it's a western franchise but maybe it can be our equivalent of the Hero.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Here's an interesting character I don't see talked about very often: Captain Price from Call of Duty.

I mean that's WAYYYY down there in terms of likelihood but if Leon Kennedy is a possibility than so is a character from Call of Duty. I know it's a western franchise but maybe it can be our equivalent of the Hero.
I can only imagine how salty Crash, Master Chief and Doomguy fans would be if that was the FPS/Activision rep.

So basically, all for it. Let chaos reign

StormC

Smash Hero

Would you really say Captain Price is an iconic character though? People KNOW Leon. They recognize him even if they haven't played Resident Evil. I had no idea who Captain Price was until just now despite Call Of Duty's prolific status in western gaming. A better comparison to Leon would be Master Chief or Nathan Drake.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Heihachi's in a difficult position, imo. His VA died and it seems they killed him off for good in T7. I'm not going to pretend like I know what Bamco is up to, but it really did seem like they were retiring the character so to speak. I guess we'll see what the future holds, but I personally don't think he's the most likely Bamco rep at this point in time.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Heihachi's in a difficult position, imo. His VA died and it seems they killed him off for good in T7. I'm not going to pretend like I know what Bamco is up to, but it really did seem like they were retiring the character so to speak. I guess we'll see what the future holds, but I personally don't think he's the most likely Bamco rep at this point in time.
It's a fighting game franchise. That doesn't happen. Ever.

Remember this has already happened once, Heihachi's recently deceased VA is a second VA who replaced the first. Inevitably Heihachi's going to come back as he always has same as Kazuya and Jin and everyone else who've """"died.""""

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Would you really say Captain Price is an iconic character though? People KNOW Leon. They recognize him even if they haven't played Resident Evil. I had no idea who Captain Price was until just now despite Call Of Duty's prolific status in western gaming. A better comparison to Leon would be Master Chief or Nathan Drake.
No, he isn't very iconic. No one from Call of Duty is due to it's ever changing cast of characters, similar to Dragon Quest. I brought the comparison up more as a justification for having a realistic human using knives and guns in smash since some people don't think that's a feasible possibility. If we were to compare Leon directly to someone as a character, then Master Chief and Nathan Drake would indeed be a more fitting comparison.

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Realistically speaking, the biggest hurdle that Captain Price and Call of Duty faces is mainly the fact that it's too realistic IMO. The very nature of Call of Duty clashes hard with what Smash has, and although there are other series represented within the game that also deal with very mature themes - Metal Gear being the closest, they at least all have some form of fantasy-related chicanery to offset that.

(Plus, let's all be honest: Call of Duty and Smash have to stay away from each other. That isn't happening.)

Also, I seriously doubt they'd retire Heihachi. If they really wanted to make a quick buck off him as DLC, wouldn't be that surprising to just recycle Unsho Ishizuka's voice clips from Tekken 7. If they want a Tekken rep but have to stay away from him for whatever reason they have, Jin and Kazuya would be serviceable alternate choices.

The theoretical second Bamco rep really just boils down to Tales and Tekken for possible choices, with Soulcalibur being a distant third. Lloyd and Heihachi were already Mii Costumes in Smash 4, and a good amount of those characters (Chrom, K. Rool, Isabelle) did get promoted to the main roster. The other Mishimas can rival Heihachi's significance enough to serve as back-up picks, while Yuri's recent prominence due to the Vesperia rerelease could help his chances too.

Can't help but feel kinda melancholic though about learning who the next two fighters are in the near future. Smash Ultimate hasn't had the best track record with trying to keep things secret. Only a handful of characters (Richter, Plant, Joker among others) survived not getting leaked or having their names thrown around a lot within the speculation scene, and I feel like we only really need to wait 2+ months or so until some new insider hints at "X" being DLC 4 or 5.

SKX31

Smash Master
Realistically speaking, the biggest hurdle that Captain Price and Call of Duty faces is mainly the fact that it's too realistic IMO. The very nature of Call of Duty clashes hard with what Smash has, and although there are other series represented within the game that also deal with very mature themes - Metal Gear being the closest, they at least all have some form of fantasy-related chicanery to offset that.
To be fair, CoD also has its share of chicanery - albeit it's generally somewhat confined to the Zombies mode and other side modes really (not to mention the multiplayer). It's the campaigns play things mostly straight and very mature; elements like Black Ops' story (which starts with the Bay of Pigs invasion, aka. the CIA's attempt to assassinate Fidel Castro), No Russian and the NPC threat system in the remake are played seriously in their respective stories. And thus, it's more difficult to swallow a CoD character in Smash, understandably so.

I don't think those elements are, however, dealbreaking when Metal Gear - despite its chicanery - tackles nuclear weapons, manipulating information on the internet and war as fully serious subject matters. And Persona 5, likewise handles questions such as power dynamics, social systems and the question of "are the heroes right?" very seriously. Sure, they may be more fantastic than CoD, but the serious topics are still in full force.

And yes, a CoD rep would break new (likely very uncomfortable) ground, but I'd argue that CoD's not that far removed from the already present Metal Gear. Even Persona 5 deals with political power as a topic, so it's not completely alien to CoD.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Can't help but feel kinda melancholic though about learning who the next two fighters are in the near future. Smash Ultimate hasn't had the best track record with trying to keep things secret. Only a handful of characters (Richter, Plant, Joker among others) survived not getting leaked or having their names thrown around a lot within the speculation scene, and I feel like we only really need to wait 2+ months or so until some new insider hints at "X" being DLC 4 or 5.
And it would still be a surprise because people stopped taking leaks seriously due to the wolfwoldf effect.
Anyway The three revealed DLCs have something in common: They both come from different third party companies that haven't had a rep in the game yet. So I'm 90% assuming the other two are following the same pattern.
This would esclude any other Sega, Rare, Atlus, Namco, Capcom, Konami or Square Enix character.

D

Deleted member

The fact nobody knows or has leaked the last 2 fighters yet is great for me.

That way I can keep hoping for Crash unless Sakurai says he isn't in or real leaks deny him.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
And it would still be a surprise because people stopped taking leaks seriously due to the wolfwoldf effect.
Anyway The three revealed DLCs have something in common: They both come from different third party companies that haven't had a rep in the game yet. So I'm 90% assuming the other two are following the same pattern.
This would esclude any other Sega, Rare, Atlus, Namco, Capcom, Konami or Square Enix character.
That actually depends on if you see Joker as a Atlus character and not as a SEGA character and if you see Cloud and Hero coming from two different companies (Square/Enix). However, it IS weird that Atlus is listed in the character copyright on the titlescreen, and Rare is not (Microsoft is). Is there a reasoning behind that?

D

Deleted member

That actually depends on if you see Joker as a Atlus character and not as a SEGA character and if you see Cloud and Hero coming from two different companies (Square/Enix). However, it IS weird that Atlus is listed in the character copyright on the titlescreen, and Rare is not (Microsoft is). Is there a reasoning behind that?
Yeah, that bit is weird.

Maybe Microsoft is currently the one holding the Banjo IP instead of Rare itself for some weird reason?

I wish I knew the reason.

StormC

Smash Hero
To be fair, CoD also has its share of chicanery - albeit it's generally somewhat confined to the Zombies mode and other side modes really (not to mention the multiplayer). It's the campaigns play things mostly straight and very mature; elements like Black Ops' story (which starts with the Bay of Pigs invasion, aka. the CIA's attempt to assassinate Fidel Castro), No Russian and the NPC threat system in the remake are played seriously in their respective stories. And thus, it's more difficult to swallow a CoD character in Smash, understandably so.

I don't think those elements are, however, dealbreaking when Metal Gear - despite its chicanery - tackles nuclear weapons, manipulating information on the internet and war as fully serious subject matters. And Persona 5, likewise handles questions such as power dynamics, social systems and the question of "are the heroes right?" very seriously. Sure, they may be more fantastic than CoD, but the serious topics are still in full force.

And yes, a CoD rep would break new (likely very uncomfortable) ground, but I'd argue that CoD's not that far removed from the already present Metal Gear. Even Persona 5 deals with political power as a topic, so it's not completely alien to CoD.
Fantasy and science fiction dealing with real world political topics and themes isn't anything new though. I don't think it makes them "realistic" just because they tell a story that we can connect to. MGS is still a series where a psychic reads your memory card and a Soviet supervillain has inexplicable lightning powers. I really don't think anything in COD compares. It's less about tone and more about setting and the fantasy elements of the setting (or lack thereof). The closest to a "realistic" series in Smash is Punch-Out which is still heavily stylized.

Despite being a subsidiary of Sega, Atlus still functions independently and self-publishes their games. Rare doesn't publish their own titles.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's probably because Rare isn't as independent as ATLUS.

Bayonetta is also treated as a SEGA character rather than a Platinum Games character.

D

Deleted member

Fantasy and science fiction dealing with real world political topics and themes isn't anything new though. I don't think it makes them "realistic" just because they tell a story that we can connect to. MGS is still a series where a psychic reads your memory card and a Soviet supervillain has inexplicable lightning powers. I really don't think anything in COD compares. It's less about tone and more about setting and the fantasy elements of the setting (or lack thereof). The closest to a "realistic" series in Smash is Punch-Out which is still heavily stylized.

Despite being a subsidiary of Sega, Atlus still functions independently and self-publishes their games. Rare doesn't publish their own titles.
It's probably because Rare isn't as independent as ATLUS.

Bayonetta is also treated as a SEGA character rather than a Platinum Games character.
Thanks for solving our question!!!

That thing was actually something I really wanted to understand, so I am glad to finally know the reasons behind the lack of a Rare trademark for Smash.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
For sake of argument, let's assume there's a Fighter Pass 2 and potentially more beyond.

I think these are all the possible newcomers (barring potential bonus fighters):

Third Party 3.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For sake of argument, let's assume there's a Fighter Pass 2 and potentially more beyond.

I think these are all the possible newcomers (barring potential bonus fighters):

View attachment 228683

What do you guys think?
>All these realistic/proportionate humans
>and then there is Crash

I'd hope they will give a bit more variety in terms of character design, at least imo...

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
>All these realistic/proportionate humans
>and then there is Crash

I'd hope they will give a bit more variety in terms of character design, at least imo...
I think the problem is, there's just a lack of animal and/or strange gaming icons. A lot of the biggest ones are human. Just how it is.

Though we could get Geno as a bonus fighter. That could possibly happen.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Ah, I understand, you're looking from an "Acceptable Break from Reality" lens. While CoD doesn't have their own Psycho Mantis, they still include Nazi superscientists (Zombies), heavily armed attack robots (one of the multiplayer's kill streak bonuses) etc. The campaigns are, again, generally more serious than the side modes.

While they may not be MGS unrealistic, I still don't think that's necessarily a deal breaker. Hypotheoretically a CoD character could work, especially with the crazier kill streak bonuses as Special moves. Yea, it's very, very unlikely, but IMO non-zero. Even if miniscule.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I think the problem is, there's just a lack of animal and/or strange gaming icons. A lot of the biggest ones are human. Just how it is.

Though we could get Geno as a bonus fighter. That could possibly happen.
I think if Crash did get in Smash, then Spyro would definitely get a huge possibility for a future DLC or future Smash game.

FE623ED3-3705-47FD-9794-6296B4072119.gif

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The fact nobody knows or has leaked the last 2 fighters yet is great for me.

That way I can keep hoping for Crash unless Sakurai says he isn't in or real leaks deny him.
I agree. Even banjo and hero werent fully confirmed leaked just very likely rumors. Nintendo is doing a great job keeping these a secret. I love how the last 2 may be completely unknown to everyone, which is insane given how easily these things are datamined or leaked from other games(looks at MK11)

View attachment 228683

What do you guys think?
I think a season 2 can bring back 1st parties and characters that are spirits(if spirits truely are a deconfirmation for season 1) so bandana dee, shantae, paper mario, geno, Rayman, Toadette(nintendo has been pushing her a lot) , Mach rider, donbe and hikari, and many many more are likely for a season 2.

osby

Smash Obsessed

View attachment 228683

What do you guys think?
It's a bit too... adult-nostalgia oriented. There's no new characters from the last couple of years and the bulk of them are teen-mature series.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I agree. Even banjo and hero werent fully confirmed leaked just very likely rumors. Nintendo is doing a great job keeping these a secret. I love how the last 2 may be completely unknown to everyone, which is insane given how easily these things are datamined or leaked from other games(looks at MK11)

I think a season 2 can bring back 1st parties and characters that are spirits(if spirits truely are a deconfirmation for season 1) so bandana dee, shantae, paper mario, geno, Rayman, Toadette(nintendo has been pushing her a lot) , Mach rider, donbe and hikari, and many many more are likely for a season 2.
Tbh, I kind of doubt it. I think they're going to stick to guest fighters through the entirety of DLC. I think is Astral Chain is a critical and commercial hit, you could see them being the exception though.

Also, Donbe and Hikari is a bizarre choice.

It's a bit too... adult-nostalgia oriented. There's no new characters from the last couple of years and the bulk of them are teen-mature series.
That is true. It's just a lot of big franchises left are more mature rated. I think they'll continue to select franchises that had their start in the 80s, 90s and early 00's however. Just the feeling I get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom