• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Tbh, I kind of doubt it. I think they're going to stick to guest fighters through the entirety of DLC.

Also, Donbe and Hikari is a bizarre choice.
It would be easier to include first parties because they don't have to negotiate with another company for the rights to use them. I think that eventually, if we do get more Fighter Passes, we will probably get more 1st parties.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It would be easier to include first parties because they don't have to negotiate with another company for the rights to use them. I think that eventually, if we do get more Fighter Passes, we will probably get more 1st parties.
I wish you saw the part I added afterward. I think is Astral Chain is a critical and commercial hit, you could see them being the exception to the rule.

My problem with first-party characters in general though is that they just simply aren't as hype as guest characters. It feels like Smash roster as it is, is nearly complete first party wise outside of new 2017+ characters. And I think Nintendo themselves think this as well. I think they're done adding older Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wish you saw the part I added afterward. I think is Astral Chain is a critical and commercial hit, you could see them being the exception to the rule.

My problem with first-party characters in general though is that they just simply aren't as hype as guest characters. It feels like Smash roster as it is, is nearly complete first party wise outside of new 2017+ characters. And I think Nintendo themselves think this as well.
Characters don't need to be massive "hype-generating" picks in order to sell well.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Characters don't need to be massive "hype-generating" picks in order to sell well.
No, but it does help a good bit. I think if we do get first-party, it'll be characters from newer titles. Again like Astral Chain.

And I think in general, while there are obviously characters people want that are first-party, but I think for most Nintendo fans, they're good the first party selection as is. I think Dixie Kong missing sticks out like a sore thumb, but most don't seem to mind.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Most of the 1st party characters wouldn't need to come with a new stage, which I believe would cut A LOT of the workload. Echo Fighters became much more acepted as newcomers when Sakurai used that to explain their inclusion, I'm sure most of the Smash fanbase would be Ok with a Fighter Pass with just characters and no stages if it's explained the same way.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Most of the 1st party characters wouldn't need to come with a new stage, which I believe would cut A LOT of the workload. Echo Fighters became much more accepted as newcomers when Sakurai used that to explain their inclusion, I'm sure most of the Smash fanbase would be Ok with a Fighter Pass with just characters and no stages if it's explained the same way.
Oh sure, bonus fighters beyond the Fighter Pass are always possible. It's what I think Geno could be. An Echo Fighter pack is also possible. However, a pack of first-party newcomers is still a lot of work, even without stages, and I don't think they'll do that.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

My problem with first-party characters in general though is that they just simply aren't as hype as guest characters. It feels like Smash roster as it is, is nearly complete first party wise outside of new 2017+ characters. And I think Nintendo themselves think this as well. I think they're done adding older Nintendo characters.
I actually did a thought a experiment and wrote down my 25 most wanted 1st party characters. And whilst a lot of them are franchises that probably need more representation. When it comes to franchises or characters that NEED to be added, it's like, maybe Xenoblade? Maybe Arms? But Splatoon is the only Wii U/Switch era IP that feels completely necessary.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Oh sure, bonus fighters beyond the Fighter Pass are always possible. It's what I think Geno could be. An Echo Fighter pack is also possible. However, a pack of first-party newcomers is still a lot of work, even without stages, and I don't think they'll do that.
It would be a lot less work because there won't be any included stages (unless they represent an IP currently not in Smash) and they don't have to worry about licensing.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Uh, hey, guys... did the official Smash channel suddenly jump to the top of your subscribed channels list on Youtube? With a blue circle that won't go away?

If this is indeed the case, I wouldn't think it's anything new per se, but Hero's "Content Approaching" update video might be sooner than we thought.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Uh, hey, guys... did the official Smash channel suddenly jump to the top of your subscribed channels list on Youtube? With a blue circle that won't go away?

If this is indeed the case, I wouldn't think it's anything new per se, but Hero's "Content Approaching" update video might be sooner than we thought.
I was expecting him sometime later this month or next month so you might be right. Guess we'll have him in our games soon.
How long did it take for Joker's notification and release?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

Yeah, it's now near the top of mine too. With a blue dot to boot. That mean's it's been recently updated.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
After Hero and Banjo I have a gut feeling that the DLC will all be new 3rd-party franchises like Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, Tales of, Tekken, Dark Souls, etc... Or maybe something not from Capcom or Namco (I think Crash has a decent shot and him being in the same game as other 3D platforming giants like Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man and Banjo would be N-Sane.)
I also think we're going to get individual DLC after the fighter's pass, judging from Sakurai's comment of not liking a season pass structure. That way they don't have a set amount of DLC characters they have to make, and they can get away with making reps who don't need a stage like Waluigi or Gardevoir or Skull Kid.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
After Hero and Banjo I have a gut feeling that the DLC will all be new 3rd-party franchises like Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, Tales of, Tekken, Dark Souls, etc... Or maybe something not from Capcom or Namco (I think Crash has a decent shot and him being in the same game as Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Banjo would be N-Sane.)
I also think we're going to get individual DLC after the fighter's pass, judging from Sakurai's comment of not liking a season pass structure. That way they don't have a set amount of DLC characters they have to make, and they can get away with making reps who don't need a stage like Waluigi or Gardevoir or Skull Kid.
I'm in full on Resident Evil/Doom mode. It just feels like a very likely outcome.

Last edited:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
I'm in full on Resident Evil/Doom mode. It just feels like a very likely outcome.
I can easily see Doomguy/Doomslayer being the last rep of the Fighter's Pass as another massive rule-breaking character like Bayonetta. Resident Evil I'm a bit more hesitant on although I'd love to see Leon get a rematch with King K Rool outside of the Racoon City Sewers.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I was expecting him sometime later this month or next month so you might be right. Guess we'll have him in our games soon.
How long did it take for Joker's notification and release?
About a week or less, I think.

Let me detail it a bit more, just so no one thinks I'm trying to stir **** up for nothing. Back at E3, Smash was at the top of my "new content" tab on youtube, thanks to the two newcomer videos, along with the Nintendo Channel. Then it disappeared from the tab as other channels I follow uploaded new content afterwards, while Nintendo's stayed up at the top of the list because of all the trailers they released aside from Smash.

Today, though, I check my subscription list and the Smash channel is back at the top, right next to Nintendo's. Furthermore, the same thing that happening pre-E3 is happening on my phone (if I click the Smash channel, the blue dot goes away, but when I reset the Youtube App, it reappears).

I had my suspicions Hero would be released either by the end of this month or the beginning of July, so this kinda fits the bill. I'm just curious if other people are getting this.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Tbh, I kind of doubt it. I think they're going to stick to guest fighters through the entirety of DLC. I think is Astral Chain is a critical and commercial hit, you could see them being the exception though.

Also, Donbe and Hikari is a bizarre choice.

That is true. It's just a lot of big franchises left are more mature rated. I think they'll continue to select franchises that had their start in the 80s, 90s and early 00's however. Just the feeling I get.
I think if the 1st party series or character is big enough i think they got a chance. Rex and pyra seem like a very good shot for a season 2 dlc. Donbe and hikari are just a retro pair i have wanted for years...

andree123

Smash Ace

Does anyone has a screencap of this?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Here's an interesting character I don't see talked about very often: Captain Price from Call of Duty.

I mean that's WAYYYY down there in terms of likelihood but if Leon Kennedy is a possibility than so is a character from Call of Duty. I know it's a western franchise but maybe it can be our equivalent of the Hero.
If Call of Duty does get a character then I think it's gonna be a Hero situation, where there would be multiple different protagonists as alt skins. I suppose Price would be the Erdrick of the bunch since he's been referenced the most out of every other character. It's a funny possibility to think about.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
D

Deleted member

About a week or less, I think.

Let me detail it a bit more, just so no one thinks I'm trying to stir **** up for nothing. Back at E3, Smash was at the top of my "new content" tab on youtube, thanks to the two newcomer videos, along with the Nintendo Channel. Then it disappeared from the tab as other channels I follow uploaded new content afterwards, while Nintendo's stayed up at the top of the list because of all the trailers they released aside from Smash.

Today, though, I check my subscription list and the Smash channel is back at the top, right next to Nintendo's. Furthermore, the same thing that happening pre-E3 is happening on my phone (if I click the Smash channel, the blue dot goes away, but when I reset the Youtube App, it reappears).

I had my suspicions Hero would be released either by the end of this month or the beginning of July, so this kinda fits the bill. I'm just curious if other people are getting this.
Good lord, please make Eight release by the end of this month.

It would be the cherry on the top of the amazing cake this month was for me.

The perfect conclussion to one of the best months in my life.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I see I missed Bandai Namco discussion... did anyone get to discuss KOS-MOS, or

Cause honestly, demand for Xenosaga HD Collection aside, she has a lot of uniqueness potential since she, as an android, can turn her arm into a cannon, sword or drill, can summon Gatling guns, and can use X-Buster as her Final Smash.

Kronch

Smash Cadet
Had a dream last night where a character named "Nostalgia Buddies" or something like that was revealed as the fourth DLC. It was a character with multiple skins a-la Hero, some of which included Geno(!!!), Rosalina & Luma (???), Squidward (???), and Squidward's House (seriously). For some reason, I was satisfied with the character since it meant Geno got into the game, but once I woke up, I realized how obviously weird it was.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since we mentioned Chrom being playable and still in a Final Smash, as well as Fox and Falco in each other’s, and Samus (Power Suit) in Zero Suit’s Final Smash:

What do y’all think of a character like Kumatora, Proto Man, or Mecha-Fiora becoming playable, like what are the chances?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If Call of Duty does get a character then I think it's gonna be a Hero situation, where there would be multiple different protagonists as alt skins. I suppose Price would be the Erdrick of the bunch since he's been referenced the most out of every other character. It's a funny possibility to think about.
Of all the characters in CoD, I feel Richtofen (in his Origins design) works best since he could use some of the Wonder Weapons from the series. It also helps that the Zombies mode has been getting more about ancient aliens recently.

Do I expect him? Nope.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Since we mentioned Chrom being playable and still in a Final Smash, as well as Fox and Falco in each other’s, and Samus (Power Suit) in Zero Suit’s Final Smash:

What do y’all think of a character like Kumatora, Proto Man, or Mecha-Fiora becoming playable, like what are the chances?
I don't see Kumatora ever becoming playable, same with any other Mother character.

Proto Man is very unlikely, since he could get in in the base game like Ken but didn't.

And it's pretty clear Rex is next in line for Xenoblade characters, Fiora probably missed her chance, if she had any.

Kronch

Smash Cadet

The chances seem really low, I'd say. First party characters don't appear to be the main candidates generally, and Kumatora and Mecha-Fiora are pretty obscure first party characters. As for Proto Man, I think other Capcom reps like Pheonix Wright, Dante, Amaterasu, and so on are more likely.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't see Kumatora ever becoming playable, same with any other Mother character.

Proto Man is very unlikely, since he could get in in the base game like Ken but didn't.

And it's pretty clear Rex is next in line for Xenoblade characters, Fiora probably missed her chance, if she had any.
With how Rex got a Mii Costume announced right away as a consolation prize, I don’t think were getting Rex either, at least unless we get more than one pass.

I feel like people are grossly underestimating Elma’s chances, too. I like to think she’s more likely than people think

D

Deleted member

With how Rex got a Mii Costume announced right away as a consolation prize, I don’t think were getting Rex either, at least unless we get more than one pass.

I feel like people are grossly underestimating Elma’s chances, too. I like to think she’s more likely than people think
Elma would be amazing.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
As far as a possible second fighter pass goes, I think literally anyone is on the table at that point regardless of being 1st party, 3rd party, having a spirit, etc.

Do I want it to happen? Absolutely! Do I think it will happen? Unfortunately no.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
No Elma, Rex and Pyra, and Spring Man/Ribbon Girl? Idk about this one.
In all honesty if we're talking DLC beyond this FP we'd have to focus on the "deconfirmed" given how expensive it could be to keep on licensing third parties.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So if we did get a 1st party character in this fighters pass who would be most likely? Feels like Elma and Porky are pretty much where the line stops? With Sylux, Gen 8 Pokemon and FE: 3H reps as a second tier if we assume Nintendo want to promote upcoming titles?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So if we did get a 1st party character in this fighters pass who would be most likely? Feels like Elma and Porky are pretty much where the line stops? With Sylux, Gen 8 Pokemon and FE: 3H reps as a second tier if we assume Nintendo want to promote upcoming titles?
I'd say Waluigi only because Nintendo is choosing the DLC fighters and they most certainly heard the very vocal outcry that followed E3 2018 when he was deconfirmed. Though if the DLC was decided upon even earlier than that then he has no chance.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think Sylux and Porky have anything going for them and people just don't accept some characters can simply be missing, like Isaac in Smash 4.

Any character from an upcoming title would bring new fans, but after Banjo, we know we can simply get nostalgia picks.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think Sylux and Porky have anything going for them and people just don't accept some characters can simply be missing
Plus, besides the stage we already have for Porky, the content in Sylux's challenger pack could be rendered outdated by the redone MP4. He should wait for Smash 6 rather than being added ASAP to cater to some revenge fantasy against Fire Emblem.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I don't think Sylux and Porky have anything going for them and people just don't accept some characters can simply be missing, like Isaac in Smash 4.

Any character from an upcoming title would bring new fans, but after Banjo, we know we can simply get nostalgia picks.
Oh I agree on Porky, even if I'd love to see him. It's more about how he's pretty much the only 1st party character who's conspicuous in his absence. Even Elma has a spirit.

If the spectre of Mother 3 leaving Japan didn't hang over Nintendo, I doubt there'd be any conversation around him.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The Sylux conversation has always baffled me. "He might be important later!" is such a weaksauce argument. I'd rather have a character added after I know they're cool and can come with good music and a good stage. Also he looks like a goober. Blue Claptrap-looking ass. But for real, just because a character doesn't have a Spirit doesn't mean they're confirmed. And I like Porky! But his level is already in the game. His music is already in the game.

Also, a Three Houses Rep has never made sense to me. It's all based on a boogeyman argument from Smash 4. If anything the promotional pick in this pass was already revealed with Luminary.

Figuring out what demographic, music, stage, and spirits each fighter can bring, with the potential of what "Super Smash Bros x ???" each character can bring...that's the real good stuff.

On an unrelated note, Phoenix is my Capcom boy and most-wanted for life, but I just started playing Okami for the first time and I am blown away. Ammy would be a lovely addition to the roster, and the stage and music would be to die for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom