• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Okay, that's a massive exaggeration, this flu isn't going to last THAT long
You don't know that. Widespread diseases like these are difficult to completely get rid of. There's also a chance that the viruses begin developing an immunity to treatment, which will make it a lot tougher to cure.

I'm not trying to spread fear, but I do think it's possible some countries could still be fighting this by winter. It spreads like wildfire.

D

Deleted member

Glad Sakurai is making sure he and his his team are staying safe from the Coronavirus, but man I can't care about DLC being postponed so I'm 100% good with that decision. It just means we have to wait for the next marketing character for a bit longer.
Man I hate how you keep expressing your disinterest in Smash Bros in a thread specifically designed about expressing our interest in Smash Bros.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Can you imagine the absolute ****storm that'd go on behind the scenes if Nintendo dipped out of a deal with a partner? To include one of their character in the largest video game crossover of all time?

If I'm Nintendo, then corporate relationships come way before an arbitrary deadline that can just, you know, be pushed back. It's not like the date is set in stone.
Contracts have contingency clauses and it's very likely that concessions will already have to be made to adapt to the situation.

And that's even assuming that there is a contract. For all we know the presentation that's postponed was early stages of negotiations and could still fall through.

Also you say dates aren't set in stone but that's the kind of thing that's usually established in a contract.

I get that it's not the time to panic and we don't have enough information to say either way, but all the smug snakes telling people to grab a dictionary need to chill the **** out.

D

Deleted member

Think of it like this, they could potentially do a few more spirit events and make this an even bigger crossover with the extra weeks they have between characters.
Truth be told, I only look at spirit updates to see who gets deconfirmed. Not to say Cuphead getting more content isn't cool. It's just not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Contracts have contingency clauses and it's very likely that concessions will already have to be made to adapt to the situation.

And that's even assuming that there is a contract. For all we know the presentation that's postponed was early stages of negotiations and could still fall through.

Also you say dates aren't set in stone but that's the kind of thing that's usually established in a contract.

I get that it's not the time to panic and we don't have enough information to say either way, but all the smug snakes telling people to grab a dictionary need to chill the **** out.
When all is said and done, I'm not even sure Nintendo would tell us if a character got canceled and replaced. If they did, I'm almost positive they wouldn't tell us who that character was anyway.

I was just saying that the possibility of a cancellation is there, even if it's small. People can debate it if they'd like, but there's no real way to prove anything on either side of the argument.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...but man I can't care about DLC being postponed so I'm 100% good with that decision. It just means we have to wait for the next marketing character for a bit longer.
And that, my friend, is pessimism. Your apathy is kind of a mood killer as well.

When all is said and done, I'm not even sure Nintendo would tell us if a character got canceled and replaced. If they did, I'm almost positive they wouldn't tell us who that character was anyway.

I was just saying that the possibility of a cancellation is there, even if it's small. People can debate it if they'd like, but there's no real way to prove anything on either side of the argument.
Watch us get a false rumour that won't die about the supposed canceled character.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's highly likely that the legal agreements for every Fighter's Pass character was already agreed upon prior to Fighter's Pass #2 entering development at all. It would be a nightmare if Sakurai planned out a character/began development on them, contacted the publisher for approval, and then got denied. It's more likely that this presentation was get approval on a planned moveset or review what had already been done before development progress further.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The presentation is probably for showing what Sakurai plans on doing with the already-licensed character, not negotiating for the character. They can’t start development work on [Dante] if they haven’t heard from [Capcom] about whether or not they can have [a pizza eating mechanic], but they’ve already decided on [Dante] being in. Replace brackets as needed.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
We live in a world where everybody strives to work the way Sakurai does. What gets done? What’s different?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The presentation is probably for showing what Sakurai plans on doing with the already-licensed character, not negotiating for the character. They can’t start development work on [Dante] if they haven’t heard from [Capcom] about whether or not they can have [a pizza eating mechanic], but they’ve already decided on [Dante] being in. Replace brackets as needed.
It's clear Sakurai was getting approval to use the Japanese Crash Bandicoot theme.
This is it. There is no other explanation.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Personally? I wouldn't count on a cure (for those already infected) until mid-2021. A vaccination will be good enough, though, that too will also take a long while.

I actually think we're in one of the lull periods. This virus can already survive hot temperatures in certain regions IIRC, so I don't expect summer to be the answer to/a respite from this. I expect the exact opposite: summer is where it REALLY gets bad due to all the people who believe it will go away by then. If summer turns out to be the/a temporary weakness to the COVID pandemic, then that's awesome, but I don't think that's gonna be the case.

As for how this will relate to Smash DLC... I just expect the postponement to last until around later in the year for a release. The reveal is likely coming at the originally intended time, assuming the Nintendo Direct rumors pan out. I just wouldn't count on Challenger Pack 6 coming out until August if a miracle happens, and for the rest of the year under my cynical viewpoint. Whether or not the intended-for-E3 presentation reveals more characters than that has yet to be seen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It ain't really gonna matter anyways with FP6 potentially being revealed next week. Everyone will get excited then just wait for the next character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Remember that the Nintendo Direct we’ll be getting “soon”, will likely be pre-recorded footage. I would imagine that a character will be revealed in the next Direct based on that.

The release date though? Hard to say. Considering there’s been plenty of work done on them already, chances are they’re at least “close” to being done. However, that’s not really telling us much at this point.

Essentially, here’s how I’d look at it. Reveal of Fighter 6? Probably no problem at all. Release of Fighter 6...we’ll, depends on how the reveal goes. If it’s not like the Banjo footage immediately post-direct, then I would imagine the release of Fighter 6 could get pushed back.

We simply won’t know until we get more information, and I suspect more information will be in the next Direct, regardless of it being next week as rumored (it’s always rumored to be next week), or otherwise.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
And that, my friend, is pessimism. Your apathy is kind of a mood killer as well.
And people's optimism is just a set up for massive disappointment like with Fighter Five reveal. So far Nintendo and Sakurai gives me no reason to not have this pessimistic view.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh, how about we make this into a game!

"They can't start development work [Monokuma] if they haven't heard from [Spike Chunsoft] about whether or not they can have [unique Executions for the fighters], but they've already decides on [Monokuma] being in."

Mad Libs, everybody!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh, how about we make this into a game!

"They can't start development work [Monokuma] if they haven't heard from [Spike Chunsoft] about whether or not they can have [unique Executions for the fighters], but they've already decides on [Monokuma] being in."

Mad Libs, everybody!
"They can't start development work for [Kiryu] if they haven't heard from [Sega] about whether or not they can have [Pocket circuit fighter as his spirit board legendary spirit], but they've already decides on [Kiryu] being in."

And people's optimism is just a set up for massive disappointment like with Fighter Five reveal. So far Nintendo and Sakurai gives me no reason to not have this pessimistic view.
Imagine being this salty that fans got both newly requested and long requested characters

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
No, people can still be excited and hope for their favorites. If they get disappointed, oh well. It’s time to remember it’s just a game. Just remember the people who hoped we would get Ridley, King K Rool, and Banjo were all hoping even though none of them seemed likely.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
User was warned for this post
There's a difference between pessimism and just straight up being a complete ass all the time.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
There's a difference between pessimism and just straight up being a complete ass all the time.
This.
Go ahead and act like Nintendo hates the fans and that your favorites will never happen in a million years, since that only affects you, but leave other people alone.

Last edited:

Komaeda8

Banned via Warnings
I guess another Nintendo character is now on the table, eh?

You do NOT want to mess with an angry Irish man.
I know this was made at the heat of the moment, but please think before making posts like that. This is exactly how misinformation spreads in this community.

The post below has a clearer picture of what happened.

There’s nothing that says that fighter is cancelled.

It’s just postponed. Just like the rest of the pass will be if things get too risky to develop in, which they probably are.

He literally said postponed and not cancelled.

Stop freaking out, lol.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I know this was made at the heat of the moment, but please think before making posts like that. This is exactly how misinformation spreads in this community.

The post below has a clearer picture of what happened.
I was joking. lol

I know well never get another Nintendo character again.

D

Deleted member

I know for a fact Pauline won't likely be a fighter in Smash Ultimate, as much as I wish she was.

But even then, I don't act like an ass to other people just because characters I like don't get in (And I got some really good characters which I also wanted already anyways).

Thinking about lowering expectations and opening our minds towards anything to happen is something fine, but that doesn't mean we have to go all depressive and edgy on everyone over who they want or their hopes.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
No, people can still be excited and hope for their favorites. If they get disappointed, oh well. It’s time to remember it’s just a game. Just remember the people who hoped we would get Ridley, King K Rool, and Banjo were all hoping even though none of them seemed likely.
Yeah, it's a video game, so who gives a crap if someone is pessimistic about it?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Obviously, people are allowed to feel however they want about Ultimate and its DLC, but sometimes its good to take a step back and really look at what we have. When I first got into Smash speculation in 2011/2012, if you had said that in two more games (well, three technically, but two of them had the same roster) we would have this, you'd be considered optimistic at best:

-76 characters in the base game, 88 with DLC
-Every vet (including those previously cut)
-Rosalina, Bowser Jr. (with Koopaling skins), and Daisy
-Little Mac
-Ridley
-King K. Rool
-Animal Crossing characters (this was a popular idea thought to be impossible)
-Fire Emblem characters beyond basic lords (Fire Emblem was actually considered underrepresented in Brawl)
-Palutena (with Dark Pit as a bonus character)
-Shulk
-Pac-Man
-Mega Man
-Simon Belmont (with Richter as a bonus character)
-Cloud Strife
-Banjo & Kazooie

Because of this, I have a hard time really feeling disappointed with what happens next with DLC. Nearly every core request of the Smash fanbase has been basically answered, so I just want to see where the ride takes us. If you look at the Ballot, the only two characters who did particularly well but are not in Ultimate are Bandana Dee and Geno (who still could be coming, as far as we know). Is that to say Ultimate is perfect? No, but nothing is and this game is damn close. Even if Wave 2 has nothing to really scratches my itch, I find it extremely hard to think that Sakurai and the dev team didn't have fans at the forefront of their mind.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Maybe it's because I got most of my most-wanteds in the base roster, but I was satisfied with the DLC overall; Most of my reactions to the character reveals were along the lines of "Who is this jerk-oh they actually seem pretty cool", the only exceptions being Banjo as a pipe dream pick I dismissed a while ago, and Byleth, the ONLY character I was dissatisfied with. But you know what, four out of five brand new characters, even the one I disliked, ain't half-bad. (Plus I got Piranha Plant for free because pre-order bonus, so I don't feel like my money was wasted on a joke.)

It'd be nice if some of my dream picks were chosen for DLC in the future, (I STILL want Ganon or at least a new Zelda character), but the general trend of DLC characters doesn't lead me to believe that I would regret my purchase if I bought Pass 2 now.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If you look at the Ballot, the only two characters who did particularly well but are not in Ultimate are Bandana Dee and Geno (who still could be coming, as far as we know).
Do we even have the ballot results? I feel like there are several other characters you could make cases for doing well on the ballot.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Do we even have the ballot results? I feel like there are several other characters you could make cases for doing well on the ballot.
While we don't have official ballot results, most of the characters that appear consistently near the top of fan polls (K. Rool, Inkling, Banjo, the cut vets) are present. For example:
Of the top 11 characters in this poll, 7 are in Ultimate. The only ones missing are Bandana Waddle Dee, Magalor (which is really a Japan-only support base), Geno, and Paper Mario.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The real horror is we're now waiting till potentially mid-2022 until Wave 2 finishes. That thought alone added more gray hairs to my scalp.
Alternatively, theories that 12/31 was just a placeholder date turn out to be false.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Warning Issued
I just want Ultimate the end. Roster is great with some really disappointing moments. I can't care to what these next six characters are when there are characters that are just dead, the Nintendo character picks are shills, and the third parties are going to characters that people barely thought of.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I just want Ultimate the end. Roster is great with some really disappointing moments. I can't care to what these next six characters are when there are characters that are just dead, the Nintendo character picks are shills, and the third parties are going to characters that people barely thought of.
THEN LEAVE. Seriously, if you have no expectations for Pass 2, and you really don't think you are going to care about who gets in, then why are you even here? I'd think you'd have a better time doing literally anything else.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
That’s not true in the slightest. About half of the first Fighter’s Pass were huge requests at the time (Banjo + Hero) and none of them were bad picks, just some had smaller fanbases. Not a single one of them was barely thought of, except for maybe Joker. And the average person either A. Likes Byleth or B. Doesn’t mind them. But there’s still the 14.6% that’s being really annoying with posts like these, acting as if something is true because they think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom