• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There’s nothing that says that fighter is cancelled.

It’s just postponed. Just like the rest of the pass will be if things get too risky to develop in, which they probably are.

He literally said postponed and not cancelled.

Stop freaking out, lol.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Jokes aside, "postponed indefinitely" doesn't necessarily mean there's no chance of the character getting in the pass. The character can continue development later on.

That being said, it doesn't explicitly state that it will continue either. Sounds like they aren't really sure what they'll end up doing, hence the wording.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It’s just postponed. Just like the rest of the pass will be if things get too risky to develop in, which they probably are.

Stop freaking out, lol.
Yeah, people are overpanicking a lot of stuff recently with all that's going on.

I do still feel that we will see FP6 on the next Direct, at least through a Mewtwo style reveal.

Awesome pfp btw.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

He literally said postponed and not cancelled.

Stop freaking out, lol.
NO. i will immediately jump to the conclusion that sakurai just threw away an existing contract with a third party developer and is never looking back

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
He didn't say the character is cancelled. For all we know, the postponed meeting was originally scheduled to occur shortly before this interview. "Indefinitely" means a new date hadn't been set at the time of this interview. Sakurai could have checked his email after this interview and found out the meeting had a new date.

This is all assuming they can't meet online, which is implausible.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given everything happening in the world now I'm honestly just not feeling too excited about FP6 coming. The well being, health and well being of people is more on my mind, that and how much I've let the peer pressure of things got to me that my irrationalness caused me to say some horrible things I wish I never said on the social thread yesterday...I know I keep saying one shouldn't live in the past but its still getting to me.

Also Sakurai is getting his break he was long overdue for.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Sorry if I made people think the character was cancelled. But I am gonna say that if the character had barely been worked upon, it’s a possibility. It’s a small chance, but I still think it’s there.
Anyways, let’s talk about some happy concepts instead
Like maybe
A character that yells the move whenever they do it.
Not the name of the move, just the move.
They use up B, they’ll yell “UP B!!”
They used up throw, they’ll yell “UP THROW!”

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Obviously COVID-19 is going to lead to delays with development, but I think there are always opportunities to look at the potential from a shift in perspective.

For example, everybody is trying to stay healthy, and keep things clean. You know what this means...

Mr. Clean scrubs to the top of the newcomer standings!

Not to mention, you know what people are going to do cooped up in their house?

No, get your mind out of the gutter.

They’re going to drink delicious, ice-cold Pepsi.

My dream...after so many years...

Mr. Clean AND Pepsiman? In the same Season of DLC? This simply can’t be real.

(I’ll have you know I take this pandemic very seriously and am doing all I can to stop it from spreading. That said, we all need a laugh once in awhile.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Obviously COVID-19 is going to lead to delays with development, but I think there are always opportunities to look at the potential from a shift in perspective.

For example, everybody is trying to stay healthy, and keep things clean. You know what this means...

Mr. Clean scrubs to the top of the newcomer standings!

Not to mention, you know what people are going to do cooped up in their house?

No, get your mind out of the gutter.

They’re going to drink delicious, ice-cold Pepsi.

My dream...after so many years...

Mr. Clean AND Pepsiman? In the same Season of DLC? This simply can’t be real.

It is all coming together.

D

Deleted member

Sorry if I made people think the character was cancelled. But I am gonna say that if the character had barely been worked upon, it’s a possibility. It’s a small chance, but I still think it’s there.
Anyways, let’s talk about some happy concepts instead
Like maybe
A character that yells the move whenever they do it.
Not the name of the move, just the move.
They use up B, they’ll yell “UP B!!”
They used up throw, they’ll yell “UP THROW!”
Nah, the chance is 0%. People have already pre-purchased the 2nd Fighter's Pass and they've already committed to planning; they won't completely cancel.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Nah, the chance is 0%. People have already pre-purchased the 2nd Fighter's Pass and they've already committed to planning; they won't completely cancel.
Yeah you’re right lol. I’m just expecting the worst due to the situation. I’ll calm down.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
More than likely they'll just push back the character as long as they can until things can resume as normal, but there's always the small possibility of them replacing the character with someone else if too much time goes by without progress.

I'm not saying that's a likely scenario, but because they haven't revealed anyone yet, they can still change plans if need be.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
More than likely they'll just push back the character as long as they can until things can resume as normal, but there's always the small possibility of them replacing the character with someone else if too much time goes by without progress.

I'm not saying that's a likely scenario, but because they haven't revealed anyone yet, they can still change plans if need be.
I actually highly doubt that’s even something they’d consider.

Chances are Fighter 6 is done, and the development team is more or less stuck in a rut on all characters until things relating to COVID-19 settle down. This means that any work, on any fighter, is going to either slow down immensely or halt altogether.

It’s not a major problem. They’re not getting excessive work done on other picks as of now, and chances are they won’t until things blow over. I don’t see any reason to think any pick would be replaced, especially when the contracts are in place already.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The particular character they're referring to might be FP7. Given its been 4 months I'd imagine that FP6 could be close to competition and we could get an Mewtwo/Joker/Terry style reveal next week.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Most regions of the world are or will be hitting pause for everything. It's normal that development is pushed back. But in no way does it even imply there's a chance something gets cancelled. Nintendo has already chosen the fighters, meaning there's some kind of agreement in effect (they wouldn't announce a wishlist), and all that means is that development on some fighters has been more hindered than others due to travelling restrictions.

So yeah, don't panic, put your expectations on pause, and we'll see in 6 months what'll come out of the pass after all. With chances that they'll still reveal characters to make sure they keep attention on the game, even if development is slowed to a halt.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
“In my case, specifically, I was scheduled to give a presentation to a publisher on our plans for a certain new fighter; however the key parties were not able to get together, so it’s been postponed indefinitely. That’s not something I could fix even if I could be in the office the whole time.”

rip that fighter
Man, if the character ends up not getting in because they can't reschedule the meeting in time for development to take place, I hope they eventually reveal who it was.

I wonder if the pandemic drags on long enough, if it'll have a domino effect and several characters might have development affected.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Man, if the character ends up not getting in because they can't reschedule the meeting in time for development to take place, I hope they eventually reveal who it was.

I wonder if the pandemic drags on long enough, if it'll have a domino effect and several characters might have development affected.
I really doubt they'll cancel a character over this, they might have to shift production around and take longer on development, but it would seem dumb for them to cancel it all together.

D

Deleted member

The real horror is we're now waiting till potentially mid-2022 until Wave 2 finishes. That thought alone added more gray hairs to my scalp.

D

Deleted member

Nokolo translated Sakurai's column, and this quote essentially confirms development has been halted until further notice:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I really doubt they'll cancel a character over this, they might have to shift production around and take longer on development, but it would seem dumb for them to cancel it all together.
It really depends on many things. For example timing might be one. If there's a deal in place where a character has to be Fighter #X, and the other party won't budge (because, for example, the reveal/release date is crucial to advertise an upcoming game) then the deal could potentially fall through.

I agree that "indefinitely postponed" and "canceled" are two very different things, but we're in uncharted territory right now so who knows what'll happen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nokolo translated Sakurai's column, and this quote essentially confirms development has been halted until further notice:

well, at least Sakurai's GETTING a break...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I really doubt that they'd drop characters outright like that if they were planned unless a studio straight pulls out of the agreement, and even that's contingent upon the how far along decision making was and if contracts were signed. If they planned out 6 fighters and had already done all the contracting and legal work, they're almost certainly going to resume all of them when they have the opportunity too. It may take longer because nobody really knows how long COVID-19 is going to be shutting down infrastructure globally, but when the pandemic gets under control (assuming that nothing more catastrophic happens during that time period) and they can start working as a team again, they can find solutions to problems. Sakurai may have to present lots of stuff traditionally to different people and work closely with partners... but there are absolutely ways of securely having those kinds of conversations and work without having to be face to face.

The only real ways we drop a character outright would be: 1. The contracts were not yet decided and a third party pulls out (Outside of Sora/Disney, I don't really see any developer doing this because Smash is still huge), 2. Nintendo pulls the plug as a result of the fallout (and if they're pulling Smash DLC, I think that's really indicative of a much worse reality for Nintendo as a whole), or 3. COVID-19 seriously causes catastrophe that fundamentally exists the very systems our societies rely on for sustained existence. All of those are rather nuclear options I feel like though. Something taking a little while longer to produce because of this circumstance that effects everyone globally doesn't really strike me as enough to shift already developed plans.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The real horror is we're now waiting till potentially mid-2022 until Wave 2 finishes. That thought alone added more gray hairs to my scalp.
Think of it like this, they could potentially do a few more spirit events and make this an even bigger crossover with the extra weeks they have between characters.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
imagine reaching a legally binding agreement with another company and creating design documents to include their character in a game only for you to miss a meeting and scrap all the work you've done until then instead of just...delaying the work until you can continue it

Being serious, anyone thinking that a character being "postponed indefinitely" means that they're getting scrapped is jumping the gun hard, and I'd advise that they take a look in a nearby dictionary to see what the word "postpone" means.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
imagine reaching a legally binding agreement with another company and creating design documents to include their character in a game only for you to miss a meeting and scrap all the work you've done until then instead of just...delaying the work until you can continue it

Being serious, anyone thinking that a character being "postponed indefinitely" means that they're getting scrapped is jumping the gun hard, and I'd advise that they take a look in a nearby dictionary to see what the word "postpone" means.
A lot of it depends on how long the parties involved are dealing with the coronavirus. If they're still handling this in late 2020, then I do think Nintendo would give serious consideration to finding a different character(s). I don't think they're gonna keep stalling for what could potentially be a single character.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A lot of it depends on how long the parties involved are dealing with the coronavirus. If they're still handling this in late 2020, then I do think Nintendo would give serious consideration to finding a different character(s). I don't think they're gonna keep stalling for what could potentially be a single character.
they could make that one character that was postponed invididual DLC like PP, except they'd have a stage and music unlike PP

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Okay, that's a massive exaggeration, this flu isn't going to last THAT long

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Legally binding agreement
Can you imagine the absolute ****storm that'd go on behind the scenes if Nintendo dipped out of a deal with a partner? To include one of their character in the largest video game crossover of all time?

If I'm Nintendo, then corporate relationships come way before an arbitrary deadline that can just, you know, be pushed back. It's not like the date is set in stone.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Aren't you just a ray of sunshine?
More like I'm realistic.
They already got the rights to all six characters, they're not going to change any of them out become of the Coronavirus. These agreements take a lot of time and Nintendo has to put the money upfront.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can understand them wanting to cut DLC if they or Sakurai don't want to continue past 2021 for whatever reason, if the coronavirus really causes things to be postponed for too long, but I really don't see why they would drop out of an agreement/cut a planned character then replace them with another one. Unless one company wants to be completely insensitive about the virus.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Okay, that's a massive exaggeration, this flu isn't going to last THAT long
Sorry to speculate about pandemics instead of video game characters, but some pandemics in the past have had it where they seemingly die down in the summer, only to come back again in full swing the fall/winter. Hopefully we can have it more under control by late 2020 with better testing and vaccines.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Glad Sakurai is making sure he and his his team are staying safe from the Coronavirus, but man I can't care about DLC being postponed so I'm 100% good with that decision. It just means we have to wait for the next marketing character for a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom