• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sigh...if it's not FE talk, it's Dante talk. If it's not Dante talk, it's mostly other "frontrunners".

I'm just gonna go play some pub games for a while and come back if the topic changed or anything.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Have to wonder if some folks on Smashboards really understand Dante as a character and Devil May Cry as a series.

It isn’t Capcom’s biggest seller, but it’s not this obscure game that nobody knows about. Dante is a well known character within the industry, definitely more well known than Bayonetta and even Joker. He has plenty of potential for moveset possibilities, and is more than just a random 3rd party people want. He now has presence on Nintendo platforms that ties to Smash, at least in the sense of:

Fans: “Dante would be cool in Smash!”
Itsuno: “I agree, but he should probably be on Nintendo consoles before he make it into Smash!”
Nintendo: Negotiates with Capcom to get DMC onto Nintendo platforms.

Now, folks are just saying, “H-he’s not going to happen now because you’re talking about him!” Despite the fact the same logic isn’t applied to characters being upgraded or other topics that frequently fly through here.

I mean, whatever. As I’ve said, I think Dante has more going for him than many other characters, even if he doesn’t end up in. He has something to refer to, which is something that we can’t say about an abundance of other topics talked about. It’s a crazy double standard.
Agreed. It looks like people really underestimate Dante or don't understand how big the Devil May Cry series. It ain't no Street Fighter or Monster Hunter, but damn it is a notable series. With it essentially making the hack-n-slash genre laying the bedrock for franchises like God of War and Bayonetta, Devil May Cry is also an important series. Now it has 3 out of it's 5 main titles on the Switch, with the 4th one being only a matter of time. And since all this met the quota of "it should have at least one title on Switch", Dante is a likely candidate for Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sigh...if it's not FE talk, it's Dante talk. If it's not Dante talk, it's mostly other "frontrunners".

I'm just gonna go play some pub games for a while and come back if the topic changed or anything.
When was the last time Dante got talked about as extensively as today? Like, 2 months ago. FE talk on the other hand is daily, I don't get it, you come in here to talk about your personal drama involving someone else here and whine about a character getting discussed who hasn't been discussed in a while

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Trust me, it's far better it being Dante talk then Fire Emblem talk where sometimes the topic goes nowhere.

Also, this a thread where any newcomer can be discussed for speculation, including "frontrunners". What's the problem with talking about "frontrunners" in a speculation thread?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Bomberman was the only character I could kind of say got "robbed". Cause he's a good dude. Throwing bombs and ****.

Have to wonder if some folks on Smashboards really understand Dante as a character and Devil May Cry as a series.

It isn’t Capcom’s biggest seller, but it’s not this obscure game that nobody knows about. Dante is a well known character within the industry, definitely more well known than Bayonetta and even Joker. He has plenty of potential for moveset possibilities, and is more than just a random 3rd party people want. He now has presence on Nintendo platforms that ties to Smash, at least in the sense of:

Fans: “Dante would be cool in Smash!”
Itsuno: “I agree, but he should probably be on Nintendo consoles before he make it into Smash!”
Nintendo: Negotiates with Capcom to get DMC onto Nintendo platforms.

Now, folks are just saying, “H-he’s not going to happen now because you’re talking about him!” Despite the fact the same logic isn’t applied to characters being upgraded or other topics that frequently fly through here.

I mean, whatever. As I’ve said, I think Dante has more going for him than many other characters, even if he doesn’t end up in. He has something to refer to, which is something that we can’t say about an abundance of other topics talked about. It’s a crazy double standard.
I can safely say people DON'T get him as a character, despite him being fairly easy to understand. I will say I think he and Geo Stelar might be my favorite Capcom characters from a story arc perspective. Dante is for sure more important and well known than Bayonetta. So why people think he's some obscure weirdo because he isn't from Monster Hunter is kind of a lack of perspective I think. Then you have people thinking he'll be some character exactly like Bayo in the same way they thought Ryu and Terry would be the same. Which plays down the unique aspects of each.

I do kind of get thinking "We keep talking about it, but that doesn't mean it will happen". But I think people are once again too obsessed with being "right" and are shook if they put any eggs into a basket and don't want to get their asshole blasted out again like they did with Byleth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Bomberman was the only character I could kind of say got "robbed". Cause he's a good dude. Throwing bombs and ****.

I can safely say people DON'T get him as a character, despite him being fairly easy to understand. I will say I think he and Geo Stelar might be my favorite Capcom characters from a story arc perspective. Dante is for sure more important and well known than Bayonetta. So why people think he's some obscure weirdo because he isn't from Monster Hunter is kind of a lack of perspective I think. Then you have people thinking he'll be some character exactly like Bayo in the same way they thought Ryu and Terry would be the same. Which plays down the unique aspects of each.

I do kind of get thinking "We keep talking about it, but that doesn't mean it will happen". But I think people are once again too obsessed with being "right" and are shook if they put any eggs into a basket and don't want to get their asshole blasted out again like they did with Byleth.
Dante's from Monster Hunter what do you mean
maxresdefault.jpg

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Idk man, saying "A character getting consistent support since 2018 to the point the company acknowledged thay support and decided to profit off of it sounds an awful lot like a bandwagon" sounds like you're saying "Dante is a bandwagon", especially as B's post mentions youtubers and although I don't watch Vinny, the other example, Max, has a huge DMC3 poster, being the second largest thing there to Killer Instinct in his room alongside the fact he's a huge Capcom fan
View attachment 265848
Fun fact, this screenshot was taken from his live reaction to the DMCV announcement trailer.
Once again, I may have worded it improperly, but I wasn't saying that I thought Dante was a bandwagon character. I just thought he was implying that he was and I misunderstood.

All in all, I really don't get how "This popular youtuber who clearly likes X a ****ton enough to make quite a bit of content about X wants X in Smash" could be seen as bandwagoning. If you watch Max, chances are you like Capcom
I never said that. He was arguing that Dante was more popular and requested than I thought he was because there were big YouTubers who wanted him in. I only pointed out that a lot of characters have big YouTubers who support them. I never said someone like Max or Binyot really wanting a character is bandwagoning.

I think you otter stop relying on Jon and his random mammal tweets/posts.
Perhaps, but when it comes to speculation I'd rather gopher broke.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ruh roh

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This doesn’t look good for :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:... and no, Sony isn’t like Microsoft. They would NOT want to play ball with Sakurai like Microsoft did with :ultbanjokazooie:, they’d just be like “**** you”
Damn...I really want a company to just straight up buy all of Konami's IPs...but I want it to be Nintendo, or maybe Capcom.

Also, don't like that it's not just the entire library. What would happen to poor ol' Bomberman, Contra and Goemon!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Trans Dante! Transte?
OH THAT'S WHY DANTE ANGSTS ABOUT HAVING A **** THAT'S TOO BIG IN THE CANON MANGA
Nah there’s better classic literature reps, Dante is just a self-insert protagonist into his biblical fan-fiction.
I feel they should add Dracula then if they're ok with promotions

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sony buying these franchises would mean that Ultimate would never be rereleased.
Did everyone just forget the piece of news that got officially announced this week where Sony said they're porting one of their exclusive titles for PC?

Seriously, it even has a steam page right now.

Sony is changing their strategy towards other platforms for the next gen and they're not this backwards isolationist company that refuses to work with others.

D

Deleted member

Did everyone just forget the piece of news that got officially announced this week where Sony said they're porting one of their exclusive titles for PC?

Sony is changing their strategy towards other platforms for the next gen and they're not this backwards isolationist company that refuses to work with others.
Please for the love of God let there be Persona 5 Royal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Bruh, if Sony actually goes through with that then retroactively Ultimate has Nintendo vs Microsoft vs Sony.

That truly is ultimate.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Alloy as FP11, her final smash is waving the Dutch flag, wearing cogs while Sony Stans throw their PC monitors at you

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Should Sony acquire Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania, I do consider that more harmful to Snake, Simon, and Richter's chances than helpful.

Maybe Sony will lighten up more in the future, but for now, it seems like they'd rather be mostly independent from Nintendo. The legalities to acquire those characters might not be worth the trouble for Sakurai.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Wasn't that game made by EA though?
But what book is that game based off of?
Nah there’s better classic literature reps, Dante is just a self-insert protagonist into his biblical fan-fiction.
look man if we can talk gerry witcherman we can talk dante

its in the public domain so nintendo wouldn't even need to pay for him

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Should Sony acquire Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania, I do consider that more harmful to Snake, Simon, and Richter's chances than helpful.

Maybe Sony will lighten up more in the future, but for now, it seems like they'd rather be mostly independent from Nintendo. The legalities to acquire those characters might not be worth the trouble for Sakurai.
Then it's a good thing it's a fake rumour that shouldn't even be talked about, not to mention all it changes for the legalities is who they approach for the characters

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I also don't think that Sony would demand that Nintendo remove Snake, Simon, and Richter from Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Even if Sony allegedly has "plans" to acquire Konami's franchises, I'm not sure if it means anything. I'm sure that Disney has plans to acquire the DC characters (or any number of other properties) somehow (to use a deliberately ridiculous example); that doesn't mean that it's likely to happen.

EDIT: From what I'm seeing online, the source of this claim is a months-old 4chan post, so I'm doubting that it's reliable.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Bruh, if Sony actually goes through with that then retroactively Ultimate has Nintendo vs Microsoft vs Sony.

That truly is ultimate.
I don't think the rumor of Sony purchasing those three franchises is real. But the recent flood of information of Sony changing their strategy and being more open towards other platforms definitely makes me think a Sony rep joining Smash isn't as crazy of a pipe dream as I initially thought. We've had an official Sony representative go as far as to say the company doesn't view Nintendo as a major rival anymore. And it kind of makes sense, Sony has dropped out of the mobile gaming market while Nintendo fully embraced this market and dropped out of high spec home console development. It's two different markets that appeal to different consumers.

There was also that Smash tournament where a Playstation team joined as a representative. It seems Nintendo and Sony don't have the same old bad blood they used to have. The old guard of both companies are mostly gone and the new blood doesn't see each other with the same hostility as their predecessors. Sony as a company has been changing recently, what with them finally embracing crossplay and porting their exclusives to other platforms. A Sony rep like Kratos joining Smash might seem as a geniune possibility now.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
He's not even the best option to fill that niche. That reward goes to Ebony Dark'ness Raven Dementia Way, the epic protagonist of My Immortal.
Oh come on that's not even John Freeman who was Gordon Freemans brother.

For nutril specal, he weels wepon!

D

Deleted member

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the DLC Discussion and Speculation thread, which means the topic 99% of the tie is going to be about DLC and speculating upcoming DLC; in other words, talking about possible characters. If you want a topic change, you want the general discussion thread lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom