• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, uhhh... thoughts?

For context, Jon often reposts otters right before a Direct is to be announced.

I wasn't saying that Dante's newfound support is bandwagoning, I was just a bit confused by what you provided as evidence that he wasn't a "vanilla" character as I had described, because telling me that a character has been super highly requested ever since a certain recent event sort of reads to me like you're saying "Everyone thinks he's likely now, so he was always a big deal.". Sorry for the confusion.

Well in that case your point failed, since I didn't say that.
Bruh how is saying this NOT saying Dante's fans are because of bandwagons
Are you sure that's clamoring you're seeing and not bandwagoning? Because saying that people have really wanted a character ever since it started to seem likely they were getting in is the textbook definition of bandwagoning
Especially as the context also talks about people who want Bayo VS Dante, a matchup people only would want if they liked both characters.

Also last time Jon posted otters nothing happened and he said "Guys I just like otters"

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Speaking of which

Really hate how Castlevania went from "cool japanese take on hammer and stake horror movies" to EDGY series where Alucard gets gangbanged and everyone says the F word every 5 seconds

Warren Ellis is a hack
Look, I agree that scene with Alucard was a bit much, but Season 3 was still enjoyable. And even if people think it's bad, that's still 2 out of 3 seasons that were really good.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ruh roh

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This doesn’t look good for :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:... and no, Sony isn’t like Microsoft. They would NOT want to play ball with Sakurai like Microsoft did with :ultbanjokazooie:, they’d just be like “**** you”
Nah, that... account? Website? Whatever it is is pulling that outta their ass.

A Sony funded Silent Hill was rumored but that other stuff is untrue.

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
The important thing to note is that only like two characters in the history of Smash DLC had any thing to do with promoting an upcoming game and they were from franchises that already had established recent success, so they were “safer” choices. Even if a new Golden Sun game we’re to be confirmed right this second, it still wouldn’t increase Isaac’s chance. Not even remotely.
To be fair, we don’t really know if that’s the case or not. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think any “top tier” fan requests like Isaac, Ridley, K Rool, Banjo, Geno, etc. ever had a new game come out at around the same time as a Smash DLC cycle, much less so a game that they themselves are the star of. Given that, we don’t really know how Nintendo would potentially handle that. You’re right that it doesn’t necessarily make them “likely” but saying for sure that it wouldn’t even remotely increase their chances is something you just don’t know.

D

Deleted member

Quick reminder: what's the rumored day of the Indie presentation? The 18th?
From what I recall, it's the week before the rumored Nintendo Direct of 3/26, so pretty much the 18th or maybe sooner since some of these showcases were on a Monday and Tuesday.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nah, that... account? Website? Whatever it is is pulling that outta their ass.

A Sony funded Silent Hill was rumored but that other stuff is untrue.
Tbf the article says they're only giving this the time of day due to those Silent Hill rumours, but that's still unprofessional, it's like "BUBUBUBUT DRUNK CAT LEAK SAID KOSMOS CONVINIENTLY AFTER DRUNK CAT GOT RECOGNIZED"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Castlevania is one of the best Netflix shows I've seen. I mean, I wouldn't mind the F-bombs cut back a bit, but otherwise, I've found it excellent storytelling. The characters are extremely interesting and diverse. The worst thing it did is mess a bit with canon characters' alignments, but also actually shows that good and evil are not actually that black and white. I love it and it's one of the best game-based cartoons I've ever seen. They actually captured how horrific the lore truly is quite well. Yes, that's actually what an apocalypse would be in Casltevania. It's goddamn Dracula, and he was pissed off something fierce. Yes, people are corrupt to quite a degree and will do anything to justify it being okay. A demon is actually telling a Priest how wrong they are, and it was clear why they could go into a church that was safe from demons due to being blessed. God definitely was not a fan of an innocent being framed and killed at all, and even worse, them not actually heeding a warning of Dracula, but then it gets worse from there. Celebrating the murder of a woman who saved lives. Dracula absolutely did the wrong thing, but even Trevor got the point of how horrible a man must feel to have his wife murdered and then celebrated to spite him. His reaction was wrong, but it wasn't without justification.

This is why I love the series. It really shows just how unique things are in the world. Things are complicated. Dracula wasn't even evil. He was trying to find good and help the world since Lisa appeared. Instead? He got told another story by horrible people who would hurt innocents just to make a buck. The woman that reported Lisa didn't do so because of fear of "magic", she did so because she had poor sales and wanted to get the competition killed. That's pretty horrible. For Dracula, he has not seen enough of humanity to understand how many good people still exist, but as the seasons still show, there's not a lot of good in humanity left overall. In fact, the majority are corrupt, whether vampire or human. The three heroes are some of the few not corrupt either. To note, I'm still watching all of Season 3, but I'm aware of what happens due to accidentally spoilering myself. No big deal, mind you. This isn't a movie anyway. Spoilers about Episode 7, now that pissed me off. Season spoilers I tend to shrug it off.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So you based Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, A Link Between Worlds, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages off of the first 15 minutes of Ages? Which is largely considered one of the weakest games, 2D or otherwise, in the entire franchise?

Like I get not liking Zelda. I can understand that. Lots of people don't but stating that those 3 are better than ANY 2D Zelda game when you've only played one, ALttP is foolish and dismissive and you're only saying that, likely, because you grew up in the Sega vs. Nintendo timeframe where it was one or the other but now it seems like you're just not willing to try.
I had the same reaction to awakening as well. I just cant play those games with out feeling like i can play something better. Its like playing sonic 1, why should i play that when there are better 2D sonic games to play.

My care for Zelda has always came from the 3D games. You'd be surprise to find out thats actually not a rare opinion to have.

What a load of bull****!
Wait, you got a source?
Rumor technically originated from 2018

A trusted capcom leaker basically confimed it a couple days ago

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
One would say Dante being likely in comes from the bandwagoning of the DM5 Switch leak or whatever but just an reminder he's owned by Capcom. The gaming company notably known for its history of crossovers and a great relationship with Nintendo.

And after ones like Street Fighter and Mega Man. Devil May Cry is easily up there and given with Resident Evil being spirited away is the most likely Capcom series to get in next. I'd love for Wright or Amaterasu and still pulling for either of them but I'm certain if another Capcom rep is to get in its Dante which I wouldn't even mind given his fun moveset potential and likely being loads of fun to play.
Rumor technically originated from 2018

A trusted capcom leaker basically confimed it a couple days ago
Okami didn't deserve this...:(

Pretty much dashes Amaterasu's chances...

Last edited:

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
One would say Dante being likely in comes from the bandwagoning of the DM5 Switch leak or whatever but just an reminder he's owned by Capcom. The gaming company notably known for its history of crossovers and a great relationship with Nintendo.

And after ones like Street Fighter and Mega Man. Devil May Cry is easily up there and given with Resident Evil being spirited away is the most likely Capcom series to get in next. I'd love for Wright or Amaterasu and still pulling for either of them but I'm certain if another Capcom rep is to get in its Dante which I wouldn't even mind given his fun moveset potential and likely being loads of fun to play.
Haven’t played the DMC games but honestly I’d still be hyped.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Bruh how is saying this NOT saying Dante's fans are because of bandwagons
Because it isn't. For context, I said that I think Dante is like to be FP6 because he'd be a very "vanilla" character, ie. one that isn't that frequently requested, but that no one would take issue with getting into Smash. He takes issue with my assessment of Dante and replies with the following:
You kidding me? Dante is one of the top "no-brainer" 3rd party characters. Vinny Vinesauce, Maximilian Dood and plenty more. People have been hardcore clamoring for him ever since DMC came to Switch and that Kamiya tweet about Smash. It's a straight up dream for a lot of people to have Bayonetta be able to fight Dante.
From what I could tell, he seemed to be saying that because Dante has become a popular topic of discussion recently, thanks in no small part to that interview, that my assessment of Dante not being frequently requested was wrong. I took this as him saying that Dante was a being bandwagoned, and made that statement you've quoted there.

While I'm prefectly willing to admit that I had worded that very poorly, I didn't say that I thought Dante was a bandwagon character. You've misunderstood what I was saying.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I had the same reaction to awakening as well. I just cant play those games with out feeling like i can play something better. Its like playing sonic 1, why should i play that when there are better 2D sonic games to play.

My care for Zelda has always came from the 3D games. You'd be surprise to find out thats actually not a rare opinion to have.
Whatever floats your boat. I don't at all think any Zelda clone lives up to Zelda games themselves for good reason. Those 3 definitely included. But by all means. I'm positive you're missing out tho.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
His fun personality probably helps with that tbh.
Having recently played DMC 3, the best way I can describe Dante personality-wise is that he's Sonic; Like his looks and backstory suggests him being an edgelord, but all he wants to do is have fun.
Kind of appropriate that their rivals (Shadow/Vergil) have the same temperament.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Because it isn't. For context, I said that I think Dante is like to be FP6 because he'd be a very "vanilla" character, ie. one that isn't that frequently requested, but that no one would take issue with getting into Smash. He takes issue with my assessment of Dante and replies with the following:

From what I could tell, he seemed to be saying that because Dante has become a popular topic of discussion recently, thanks in no small part to that interview, that my assessment of Dante not being frequently requested was wrong. I took this as him saying that Dante was a being bandwagoned, and made that statement you've quoted there.

While I'm prefectly willing to admit that I had worded that very poorly, but regardless, I didn't say that I thought Dante was a bandwagon character. You've misunderstood what I was saying.
Idk man, saying "A character getting consistent support since 2018 to the point the company acknowledged thay support and decided to profit off of it sounds an awful lot like a bandwagon" sounds like you're saying "Dante is a bandwagon", especially as B's post mentions youtubers and although I don't watch Vinny, the other example, Max, has a huge DMC3 poster, being the second largest thing there to Killer Instinct in his room alongside the fact he's a huge Capcom fan
Screenshot_20200315-231101.png

Fun fact, this screenshot was taken from his live reaction to the DMCV announcement trailer.

All in all, I really don't get how "This popular youtuber who clearly likes X a ****ton enough to make quite a bit of content about X wants X in Smash" could be seen as bandwagoning. If you watch Max, chances are you like Capcom

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Idk man, saying "A character getting consistent support since 2018 to the point the company acknowledged thay support and decided to profit off of it sounds an awful lot like a bandwagon" sounds like you're saying "Dante is a bandwagon", especially as B's post mentions youtubers and although I don't watch Vinny, the other example, Max, has a huge DMC3 poster, being the second largest thing there to Killer Instinct in his room alongside the fact he's a huge Capcom fan
View attachment 265848
Fun fact, this screenshot was taken from his live reaction to the DMCV announcement trailer.

All in all, I really don't get how "This popular youtuber who clearly likes X a ****ton enough to make quite a bit of content about X wants X in Smash" could be seen as bandwagoning. If you watch Max, chances are you like Capcom
Max is my boy dude. His livestreams helped me through some of the toughest times in my life.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Heck if you watch max there's a chance you want dante in smash if only to see him lose his mind although his reaction to bayleth was funny

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Having recently played DMC 3, the best way I can describe Dante personality-wise is that he's Sonic; Like his looks and backstory suggests him being an edgelord, but all he wants to do is have fun.
Kind of appropriate that their rivals (Shadow/Vergil) have the same temperament.
Tbh as a DMC fan I take issue with this,l because DMC's filled with subtle characterization, with Dante's more subtler characterizations showing he's a lonely **** who just wants a family again with a surprisingly realistic portrayal of depression. He doesn't take proper care of himself or his place, his money issues are due to him just spending it all on stuff in a vain attempt to fill the void, he thinks rather lowly of himself, he breaks off contact with friends, his behaivour being described as suicidal, etc. Though to be fair this is when you take the entire series, including the anime and novels

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Max is my boy dude. His livestreams helped me through some of the toughest times in my life.
I can't watch his live streams because they are too late for me (in my area, he streams around midnight and this man needs some shuteye) but his videos are awesome and sometimes hilarious. Hopefully he does well as a father.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The more I see this thread talk about Dante, the more I see him becoming one of those characters who's constantly said to be one of the most likely newcomers for the entire speculation season only for absolutely nothing to happen to him and his franchise by F11.

That or he'll randomly end up abandoned like KOS-MOS, even though there wasn't really anything that hurt her chances since December when she starting picking up more frequent discussions.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I can't watch his live streams because they are too late for me (in my area, he streams around midnight and this man needs some shuteye) but his videos are awesome and sometimes hilarious. Hopefully he does well as a father.
There's always the VODs.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The more I see this thread talk about Dante, the more I see him becoming one of those characters who's constantly said to be one of the most likely newcomers for the entire speculation season only for absolutely nothing to happen to him and his franchise by F11.

That or he'll randomly end up abandoned like KOS-MOS, even though there wasn't really anything that hurt her chances since December when she starting picking up more frequent discussions.
, DMC fans are loud enough to get Capcom to cave alongside Dante being a huge request for MVC3 and DMC4SE having helped Capcom during difficult time with them outright saying that, have gotten Capcom to port a majority of the series to a system of which Dante was never part of the company said system owns, etc. KOSMOS is more comparable to Morrigan, a character only acknowledged in crossovers to go "haha remember their game?"

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know if Konami would ever sell their most iconic properties to Sony. I think that it's more likely that Sony would completely buy out Konami.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, that sucks if Okami 2 would've had some progress to be made, only to be scrapped entirely.

As for Dante being a "bandwagon" he was always a pretty popular character in the general gaming scope. It's just that beforehand, everyone was really focused on Resident Evil getting the next Capcom character in Smash. In the same way, most people talking about Square mostly focus on Sora rather than say, Chrono Trigger getting some kind of content. Rumors or not, I think a ton of people would put their focus into DMC and AA now that Resident Evil is much less likely to get a character for Season 2.

Granted, AA has had more consistent support in the Smash sense because of Phoenix's association with Nintendo systems in general, much like Mega Man and Castlevania being closer to Nintendo than Street Fighter and Metal Gear. Although SF's Nintendo connection isn't something to scoff at either.

On top of the interviews and DMC games getting on Switch, it probably makes support for Dante seem less "foolish" so more people get confident in their support of characters like that. Same with Crash making a resurgence. Now that he's more relevant, people don't feel like he's impossible, so now they want to put in the effort in supporting him.

Getting mad a character getting more relevance, and thus more support for Smash is basically petty and stupid is what I'm saying. Of course **** like this happens.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Dante's demand is far higher then that of KOS-MOS, has much higher chances of happening and has a higher degree momentum as well (though KOS-MOS did have a lot of momentum back during the whole Game Awards debacle). I do agree that he could not show up at all as DLC (which would definitely suck).

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I kind of doubt it. Not that Dante is someone who is bound to be in the DLC 100%. Just that I don't think his popularity would be as fleeting as KOS-MOS' because he has more general impact on games as a whole. Whereas KOS-MOS was more or less relegated to crossovers only so I think more people have a personal attachment to Dante both as a character and DMC as a franchise. Dante did kind of re-define the Hack N' Slash Genre that not only made DMC a househeld name, but also birthed popular franchises like God of War and Bayonetta.

Again, I don't exactly believe any of this leaves Dante as some super-likely character, just that his support won't die down to KOS-MOS' levels. Though I can see Phoenix Wright overtaking him again. Due to AA being more closely tied to Nintendo fans, and thus having a very consistent fan following.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
So, uhhh... thoughts?

For context, Jon often reposts otters right before a Direct is to be announced.

I wasn't saying that Dante's newfound support is bandwagoning, I was just a bit confused by what you provided as evidence that he wasn't a "vanilla" character as I had described, because telling me that a character has been super highly requested ever since a certain recent event sort of reads to me like you're saying "Everyone thinks he's likely now, so he was always a big deal.". Sorry for the confusion.

Well in that case your point failed, since I didn't say that.
I think you otter stop relying on Jon and his random mammal tweets/posts.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, about that Konami rumor. If, for some reason, they've decided to sell their IPs, at least give Hudson Soft to Nintendo. I know, they already have plenty of IPs not being used, but... c'mon, Bomberman deserves a second chance.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay, about that Konami rumor. If, for some reason, they've decided to sell their IPs, at least give Hudson Soft to Nintendo. I know, they already have plenty of IPs not being used, but... c'mon, Bomberman deserves a second chance.
Bomberman got a new game 3 years ago which got plenty of post-release support and then ports, that's not nearly as bad as the comment implies

D

Deleted member

Nevertheless, it's already Monday here. When does Nintendo usually post their indie showcase?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This is how Yugo from Bloody Roar starts off Fighter's Pass Vol. 2.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Zelda clone
Dont use that term. I only used "Zelda like" because most people on here dont know these games so I used something their familiar with to get a small idea of the games. Using the word clone undermines the hard work in these games and makes them sound like ROM hacks or sprites changed rip offs. These games clearly have their own gimmicks, visuals, and direction that differentiate them as adventure games.

Also Zelda 1 isnt good either but Mysterious Murasame Castle on the other hand is great. Its like taking out the boring dungeons and puzzles from Zelda 1 and replacing them with millions of enemies on screen trying to kill you. Its like a proto action game, it rules.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Bomberman got a new game 3 years ago which got plenty of post-release support and then ports, that's not nearly as bad as the comment implies
Oh sorry. I just noticed that people stopped talking about it almost imediantly after it came out (or at least, it feels like it), and I thought that was meant to be reflective of something.

D

Deleted member

Amidst all these rumors and bandwagons, I just don't want to call someone imminent because of them...unlike a certain...ex-friend of mine.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Have to wonder if some folks on Smashboards really understand Dante as a character and Devil May Cry as a series.

It isn’t Capcom’s biggest seller, but it’s not this obscure game that nobody knows about. Dante is a well known character within the industry, definitely more well known than Bayonetta and even Joker. He has plenty of potential for moveset possibilities, and is more than just a random 3rd party people want. He now has presence on Nintendo platforms that ties to Smash, at least in the sense of:

Fans: “Dante would be cool in Smash!”
Itsuno: “I agree, but he should probably be on Nintendo consoles before he make it into Smash!”
Nintendo: Negotiates with Capcom to get DMC onto Nintendo platforms.

Now, folks are just saying, “H-he’s not going to happen now because you’re talking about him!” Despite the fact the same logic isn’t applied to characters being upgraded or other topics that frequently fly through here.

I mean, whatever. As I’ve said, I think Dante has more going for him than many other characters, even if he doesn’t end up in. He has something to refer to, which is something that we can’t say about an abundance of other topics talked about. It’s a crazy double standard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom