• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
He's not even the best option to fill that niche. That reward goes to Ebony Dark'ness Raven Dementia Way, the epic protagonist of My Immortal.
No we must go full circle! We need Chris, the OC protagonist from the Subspace Emissary: Conquest fanfic which once held the title of the longest piece of English literature in history!

The Smash Bros. Fanfic has recently been dethroned of its longest status by another Fanfic called Ambience: A Fleet Symphony, which is a fanfic about anime girls that turn into World War II battleships.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The Smash Bros. Fanfic has recently been dethroned of its longest status by another Fanfic called Ambience: A Fleet Symphony, which is a fanfic about anime girls that turn into World War II battleships.

So which one do we want for Smash?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
About the Dante talk:

First of all, I know that I'm probably not the most objective person to talk about DMC and Dante, but I don't think I will say anything crazy:
Yeah, as someone mentioned I still think some people underestimate Dante and his series. Certainly, DMC as a series isn't Street Fighter if we talk about being recognizable, and the series doesn't sell as much as Monster Hunter: World, to mention other Capcom IPs. But Devil May Cry is, and without discussion, an important franchise in gaming. The first Devil May Cry essentially created the hack n slash genre. Without DMC we wouldn't have franchises such as God of War or Bayonetta, not at least in the way we know. Then, you have DMC3, which is one of the classic games from the PS2 generation, a game that became the standard for character action games.

Talking about Dante himself, he's for sure a recognizable character. It's impossible for a character to be recognizable to all gamers, excluding of course massive icons such as Mario, Pacman or Sonic, but if you ask me Dante is pretty high in that imaginary list. Maybe it's just me, but he's sort of a character that people are more familiar with than with his own franchise, to put in a way.
Everyone has it's own definitions, but I think it's safe to consider Dante as a big character. If we compare him to other 3rd party characters already in Smash, he's eaaasily above of fighters like Joker, Bayonetta, Simon and Richter, and he's not below Snake.

I won't discuss the moveset potential because as I have said multiple times, the sky's the limit with Dante. You don't need to try to convince anyone that Dante has moveset potential becase that could be a fact, it's so obvious that it hurts. But in the end you have a character with strong star power that could give you like 5 or 6 unique movesets for Smash, he's cool, he was popular back then and he still is, he's pretty recognizable and if you're somewhat a dedicated gamer you have probably saw him or heard about him at some point in your life. Plus, most of his games are on the Switch, which of course doesn't mean anything, but always helps, and as Scoliosis Jones said before, Dante's case is a bit different in comparison to other characters, where Itsuno himself expressed that DMC should be on the Switch before putting Dante in Smash.

And for the people who thinks he's your random edgy character, I can guarantee you: you couldn't be more wrong if you think that Dante is an edgy character. Don't fall for one or two photos of him posing cool, if anything, he's one of the biggest clowns we could get in Smash:

Ruh roh

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This doesn’t look good for :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:... and no, Sony isn’t like Microsoft. They would NOT want to play ball with Sakurai like Microsoft did with :ultbanjokazooie:, they’d just be like “**** you”
I'd gladly take Castlevania, Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid being resurrected over Snake, Simon and Richter in Smash, even if it hurts me.
Not that I believe this, I don't. This would be insane. You never know, but this is probably false. I could see Sony interested in these IPs, I mean, Silent Hill and MGS are strongly associated with their consoles, and Castlevania as well to an extent. In case people don't know, Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood were ported a year ago? on PS4 and Sony themselves worked on the port, not Konami. They definitely care more about Castlevania than Konami.

There are strong rumours of Silent Hill being back with 2 new games for PS5, and this 4chan post predates the Silent Hill rumour. Probably a coincidence, but it's curious.

Bruh, CV not being multiplat anymore would suck. I know it's probably fake, but still.
Eh, it's not like Castlevania is alive or something. I'd rather have Castlevania being exclusive to X platform than having a dead Castlevania. If the rumour ends somehow being true, this would be like Bayonetta 2 (and 3), where Sega owns the IP but if it wasn't for Nintendo we wouldn't had Bayonetta 2 to begin with.
So yeah. I'd rather have Castlevania as Playstation exclusive before being a dead and inactive series. That way at least we would get a new game.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
No we must go full circle! We need Chris, the OC protagonist from the Subspace Emissary: Conquest fanfic which once held the title of the longest piece of English literature in history!
I actually read about 100 chapters of that. It's moreso boring than anything else, nothing really happened.
Vampire goasts leave this place!
Good thing Ebony isn't a ghost. She's a goff (goth), with incredible goffic powers.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
The more I see this thread talk about Dante, the more I see him becoming one of those characters who's constantly said to be one of the most likely newcomers for the entire speculation season only for absolutely nothing to happen to him and his franchise by F11.

That or he'll randomly end up abandoned like KOS-MOS, even though there wasn't really anything that hurt her chances since December when she starting picking up more frequent discussions.
I don't think Dante is guaranteed by any means, but I'll maintain that he's the closest thing to a 3rd party no-brainer for a number of reasons.

.Likeable edgy sword guy
.Easily (in theory) translatable gameplay into Smash
.Most popular character-driven Capcom property that hasn't been spirited away
.One of the most popular if not THE most popular Japanese 3rd party properties that still has the possibility of making it in without any enormous roadblocks like Sora
.Spiritual successor already in the game which heightens demand (Bayonetta vs Dante would 100% be in the trailer in some way or another)
.Kamiya wants it to happen and is friends with Sakurai

Would I be surprised if he doesn't make it? Maybe a little, but not drop dead shocked over it. I think pass 2 would have to be entirely made on a "how can we advertise this upcoming thing" mindset for him to be easily passed over.

Edit: I should clarify that I probably would be a lot more surprised if NO Capcom character gets in, which is what I consider Dante's biggest roadblock. Monster Hunter is possibly the most likely, but I go back and forth on whether I think Rathalos being in already is disqualifying (if we take Reggie's "new worlds" as fact). Phoenix, Amaterasu, etc; there's a lot of possibilities.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The more I see this thread talk about Dante, the more I see him becoming one of those characters who's constantly said to be one of the most likely newcomers for the entire speculation season only for absolutely nothing to happen to him and his franchise by F11.
This is exactly what I expect to happen. I'd be happy enough to be wrong, I'd love for just about any Capcom character to show up in FP2, but people are scarily confident in Dante where I'm starting to believe this was all a fluke.

Putting it into perspective, Dante's situation and that wave of confidence came from a slew of assumptions and coincidences. The major thing in his favor is the DMC3 port on Switch, but clearly nothing came from the RE Switch ports announced last year so I hesitate to use that as too confident of a piece of evidence. I fell for it once before and it didn't work out.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Dante in Smash is starting to feel like Persona 5 on Switch; people just assume it makes sense and then start getting upset when it doesn't happen. And companies start using it as free marketing. #BreakFreePersona #BuyingDMCPortsSoDanteWillGetIntoSmash

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
From my perspective, literally nobody here is saying Dante is a lock.

Take it from me, the guy who literally talked about how Resident Evil was totally happening for months.

I notice that most of the folks saying "PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT DANTE MEANS IT WONT HAPPEN" are the same folks who always say that, and then go on about how they want upgrades. Yet, nobody say, "Gee, with how much people talk about upgrades it feels like it's not going to happen".

It's weird. Like, it's basically a conspiracy theory or superstition. It's a downer. I've not seen a single person say Dante is a lock, and the most I've said is that I think things that have factually happened regarding DMC and the Switch are only positives, but not confirming anything.

It's not even close to the same thing.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Heres your Monster Hunter rep folks

Hips dont lie!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Hips dont lie!
If she gets into Smash... *Rule 34 intensifies*
(This happens to all female characters.)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Literally no take is as trashy as those dudes saying Zelda sucks and was never innovative.

From my perspective, literally nobody here is saying Dante is a lock.

Take it from me, the guy who literally talked about how Resident Evil was totally happening for months.

I notice that most of the folks saying "PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT DANTE MEANS IT WONT HAPPEN" are the same folks who always say that, and then go on about how they want upgrades. Yet, nobody say, "Gee, with how much people talk about upgrades it feels like it's not going to happen".

It's weird. Like, it's basically a conspiracy theory or superstition. It's a downer. I've not seen a single person say Dante is a lock, and the most I've said is that I think things that have factually happened regarding DMC and the Switch are only positives, but not confirming anything.

It's not even close to the same thing.
If you haven't seen people call Dante a lock I'm sorry to say you haven't been paying attention. Particularly in the lead up to Byleth's reveal, I think you can compare the confidence in his inclusion to the other characters in the Pass - and those got leaked.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
And for the people who thinks he's your random edgy character, I can guarantee you: you couldn't be more wrong if you think that Dante is an edgy character. Don't fall for one or two photos of him posing cool, if anything, he's one of the biggest clowns we could get in Smash:

This was one of the first things I was exposed to when it came to Dante's personality, and playing DMC3 further won me over.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/b4tcrw My only request if Dante gets in is that his taunts change over time the better he's faring in a round of Smash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Hips dont lie!
*insert sweaty guy gif here

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Literally no take is as trashy as those dudes saying Zelda sucks and was never innovative.

If you haven't seen people call Dante a lock I'm sorry to say you haven't been paying attention. Particularly in the lead up to Byleth's reveal, I think you can compare the confidence in his inclusion to the other characters in the Pass - and those got leaked.
The people who think Dante is a lock because of the V voice actor and whatever other shenanigans are foolish. That never had anything to it.

Due to other circumstances, such as the context of the DMC ports and the Smash context related to it, that’s not nearly as crazy.

From what I’ve seen today, very few if any people have been calling him a lock. That was my point. I even said “nobody here”, meaning today, in which the biggest points made were that folks aren’t giving Dante a fair shake in terms of why folks want him or think he’s got a good shot.

Saying he has a good shot =\= “he’s a lock”.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The people who think Dante is a lock because of the V voice actor and whatever other shenanigans are foolish. That never had anything to it.

Due to other circumstances, such as the context of the DMC ports and the Smash context related to it, that’s not nearly as crazy.

From what I’ve seen today, very few if any people have been calling him a lock. That was my point. I even said “nobody here”, meaning today, in which the biggest points made were that folks aren’t giving Dante a fair shake in terms of why folks want him or think he’s got a good shot.

Saying he has a good shot =\= “he’s a lock”.
I don't think people are dismissing Dante. To be honest the only point I've read against him today is that people can see him missing out on the game, which, while negative towards his chances, actually means "this character has everything in his favor, I just have a hunch that it isn't his time". When even your detractors acknowledge that their perception of your likelihood is nothing more than a hunch, that says a lot about your credentials.

D

Deleted member

Characters who I find likely for Fighter Pass 2:

>2B
>Travis Touchdown
>Sol Badguy
>Phoenix Wright
>Dante
>Maybe Professor Layton
>Maybe Ryu Hayabusa
>Maybe Heihachi
>Considering Monokuma or other Dangaronpa reps but not confident enough on it.

I could see at least one or two of those getting in.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

>2B
>Travis Touchdown
>Sol Badguy
>Phoenix Wright
>Dante
>Maybe Professor Layton
>Maybe Ryu Hayabusa
>Maybe Heihachi

Well, it's always nice to see someone at least consider Danganronpa.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

>2B
>Travis Touchdown
>Sol Badguy
>Phoenix Wright
>Dante
>Maybe Professor Layton
>Maybe Ryu Hayabusa
>Maybe Heihachi

What about Crash, Master Chief, Dora and Steve?

Also think Chosen Undead and Dovahkiin are both heavily slept on.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
look guys im telling y'all granblue is way more likely than we think

No actually. If there's a series that's "slept on" (most people misuse this word nowadays since it means no one even seriously considers or even talks about them–no, Dark Souls and Dovahkiin are not slept on as they've been prominent in speculation in the past, even if they're not as big now as they were in the past) it's Granblue. It's in a real good position to be in Smash, and I'd probably call it one of the most likely third parties as of right now.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Misread, thought someone said Blazblue, not Granblue. This post's useless now.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
A game being good does not warrant it being in Smash.
Considering there's no Majora's Mask, Golden Sun or Advance Wars playable character, I think you're quite right about that.

What about Crash, Master Chief, Dora and Steve?

Also think Chosen Undead and Dovahkiin are both heavily slept on.
I think we're overselling or giving too much attention to the grit/edgy/cool/realistic art style picks in this thread. Maybe it's a result of the type of people/environment of the west, maybe I'm being to general, but I really think you're setting yourself up for sadness picking six similar realistic-style humanoids + Crash and calling it a fighter pass. Smash's design as a whole is generally more silly/cartoony friendly.

No actually. If there's a series that's "slept on" (most people misuse this word nowadays since it means no one even seriously considers or even talks about them–no, Dark Souls and Dovahkiin are not slept on as they've been prominent in speculation in the past, even if they're not as big now as they were in the past) it's Granblue. It's in a real good position to be in Smash, and I'd probably call it one of the most likely third parties as of right now.
Exactly what I'm saying! Something along these lines (Katalina) is what I actually think will end up happening before Dante, Doomguy, Ragna, Dovahkiin, ect.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kinda agree too.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Personally, I think if we get a mobile rep, it'll be Euden, if only because Dragalia Lost is Nintendo's first original mobile game, and thus have good reason to promote it. That being said, Granblue makes a lot of sense too.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

I'd love to have a character from Granblue, especially after playing Granblue Fantasy Versus. Narmaya, Lancelot, Zooey, Zeta, Gran, Lowain, Katalina (in order of most wanted to least), any one of them would be great to have in Smash, Wahey!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I don't doubt it has a chance. A lot of people like it, and they are branching out into making multiple console games for it. My main issue is that it's simply not something I give any amount of a **** about. If it happens it happens, but I can't get invested into it on a personal level.

Who knows, maybe hell will freeze over and their Rock Howard Homage would sneak his way in, otherwise, it's just not my thing.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So If I'm hearing this right, if Sony acquires Castlevania, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear, we can pretty much say goodbye to Snake, Simon, and Richter returning in future installments? :(

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
So If I'm hearing this right, if Sony acquires Castlevania, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear, we can pretty much say goodbye to Snake, Simon, and Richter returning in future installments? :(
Unless Sony and Nintendo become buddies like Nintendo has with MS, then probably.

Honestly, Smash implications aside, the whole idea of this leaves me very mixed. I mean, I'd love it if Castlevania got to have actual games again and not just pachinko **** (as well as an actually really good animated series on Netflix). But I also haven't really been into Sony consoles since the PS2 and never really had any intentions to get back into them, since I figured my Switch and gaming PC and maaaaaaybe the new Xbox if my friends buy into it, could tide me over.

Guess we will see what happens. It does seem kinda weird and honestly I have a hard time seeing this actually go through, based on the fact that, as much as we dislike them, all the gambling machines based on Konami IPs have been pretty damn successful from what I hear.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Pardon me for asking so sudden, but how well known is Arle? Not the Puyo Puyo franchise, but Arle herself.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Should Sony acquire Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania, I do consider that more harmful to Snake, Simon, and Richter's chances than helpful.
Don't get me wrong, I love having MGS and CV in Smash, but if Sony buying them means those series, ya know, actually get new games?

That's a little more important than being in Smash.

dante? nah.

dante?

View attachment 265853

yah.
Nah.

Dante?
1584334950472.png

Yah.

Vampire goasts leave this place!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.