• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You are given the decision to put one SEGA Zelda inspired (all of these are better than any 2D zelda game tbh) character in smash.
Choose one.
Story of thor is the only one I'm familiar with but that game just made me wish I was playing Link to the Past instead.

So in conclusion, I pick none of them because they're all swordfighters. Instead I pick Dynamite Headdy who is basically Rayman but can only fling his head!

maxresdefault.jpg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hold the phone. That's a nah there. Landstalker is good but better than ANY 2D Zelda is a helluva stretch. I get it if it is bias from that being what you grew up on but the other 2 are just not anywhere up to par.
...CD-i games? The DS games were the lowest point in the canon games, by having controls that were very very off(enough that someone preferred the Sidescroling CD-i games to them. Literally. That's saying something about how mixed they can be. Zelda's Adventure was not treated well, though, even by that guy).

I mean, the rest, yeah. Those are all amazing ones. They work very well. Zelda 2 I honestly found more fun than Phantom Hourglass(though items were absolutely better in PH due to perfect controls).

Max Needs to have Adam part of his moveset also we need leather coat Max from the manga as alt

So if he's the new Chrom, does that mean he becomes an Echo of someone in Smash 6? :p

...Actually, who has his same bodybuild anyway?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Kind of a general question to everyone, but has Smash speculation ever gotten you to try a new series or game before?
It got me into finally biting the FE bullet and purchasing Three Houses.
I really enjoyed the game, but didn't want characters from it to be in Smash. And if it had to be anyone, I was praying for either Dimitri or Claude, anyone EXCEPT Byleth.
Funny how things turn out, right?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Hold the phone. That's a nah there. Landstalker is good but better than ANY 2D Zelda is a helluva stretch. I get it if it is bias from that being what you grew up on but the other 2 are just not anywhere up to par.
The only good 2D Zelda is literally just LttP and all 3 of the zelda like(i hate using that term cause zelda didnt even invent it) games i listed are already more interesting than it
The rest are all ZZZZZZzZZzZzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
You kidding me? Dante is one of the top "no-brainer" 3rd party characters. Vinny Vinesauce, Maximilian Dood and plenty more.
Sure, but you could say this about any character. You could say that Joker was one of the top "no-brainer" 3rd parties because people like Alpharad and RelaxAlax were really hyped to see him get into Smash. You could say that Geno is one of the top "no-brainer" 3rd parties because people like PapaGenos, Terminal Montage, or Jirard the Completionist really want him in Smash as well. Just because some bigger names also really want a character, that doesn't necessarily mean that that character is highly requested.
People have been hardcore clamoring for him ever since DMC came to Switch and that Kamiya tweet about Smash.
Are you sure that's clamoring you're seeing and not bandwagoning? Because saying that people have really wanted a character ever since it started to seem likely they were getting in is the textbook definition of bandwagoning.

Have you forgotten how the internet blew up when we thought Dante was was getting in?
I'm pretty sure most of that hype you're talking about had more to do with there being a DMC reveal on the same day as the Smash Direct, which lead people to freak out because they thought they knew for sure who FP5 would be, than it did Dante himself. I know it's been a while, but surely you still remember how terrible the wait between Terry and FP5 was. Nobody knew who it was going to be, and they proceeded to latch on to anything that gave them some peace of mind.
His reveal won't have the same 'meh' reaction as Terry, nor the same 'that's cool, I guess' reaction as Joker. Dante in smash will crush the internet, as much as Banjo did.
I'm not doubting he'd be a great reveal, hell that's partially the reason I think he'll be FP6, It's just that from my experience he never seemed like the most popular picks. From what I've seen over the years he always seemed sort of... there. Like I'd hear about him from time to time, I'd hear that people wanted him and thought he could get in, but he never seemed all that big compared to the likes of Cloud, Ridley or Banjo.

The only good 2D Zelda is literally just LttP and all 3 of the zelda like(i hate using that term cause zelda didnt even invent it) games i listed are already more interesting than it
Have you played A Link Between Worlds? It's a lot like ALttP, only it's much more open.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I dunno, I think Link's Awakening and Oracle/Seasons were solid 2D Zelda titles and are incidentally my most favored of the 2D lot.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Are you sure that's clamoring you're seeing and not bandwagoning? Because saying that people have really wanted a character ever since it started to seem likely they were getting in is the textbook definition of bandwagoning.
You mean like how Geno was bandwagoned due to Forest Maze being a meme and the fans ****ing died for Smash 4 only to get new support, bandwagoners, after the Smash 4 costume? It's easy to dismiss anyone you don't like as a bandwagon my dude, especially as bandwagons are only deemed bad if it's a character you don't like

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let me go over the Zelda games I've played for 2D;

Zelda 1: Great game, aged poorly but is still pretty cool. Set the pace for later games well.
Zelda II; I love the game, but I suck at it. I still find it very fun and unique.
ALTTP: Nice game, and feels fair challenge-wise.
LA: Like, my favorite 2D game by far. Amazing gameplay(especially the original). Haven't started the remake yet. DX version is... okay. I prefer keeping my Rooster, thanks.
Oracle Games: Amazing games and aged very very well. Just get the original copies cause the 3DS downloads fail to give you the hidden shops. If you don't care about 100% completion, though... or you could use passwords online?
The Minish Cap: Awesome game. Basically akin to ALTTP in many way, but feels a bit more balanced. Only one boss felt difficult, imo.
ALTTP/Four Swords: Quite a few changes, and feels far better. Four Swords bit is a nice smaller game to play in.
CD-i games: Haven't played them, can't say, but will note that the sidescrolling ones got mediocre reviews on release, which is saying something with how much they're hated now. Only Zelda's Adventure actually did poorly the entire time.
ALBW: Great game, though it can get a little difficult sometimes, far more than ALTTP. The item meter however is very very nice(way cooler than the stamina meter, which is... okay).
PH: Decent game, but the controls suck for sword/movement. Items are great.
ST: Haven't played yet. Won't till I beat PH.

I've played Zelda Classic(Randomizer, though was Modern version?), and it was pretty good. Very improved. Couldn't use proper controls due to keyboard only, though.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Have you played A Link Between Worlds? It's a lot like ALttP, only it's much more open.
I was interested at one point when i found out you can do dungeons in any order but i kinda just never played it. I think poekmon cam eout like a month later so i just forgot about it.

Tried out oracle and awakening and got bored with both, Didnt like any of the DS games either. Zelda 2 sucks and theres already a overwhelming amount of 2d sidecrolling adventures games like Zelda 2 that were WAY better (Monster World IV, Popful Mail).

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oof, this take is just. Well, it's bad.

I dunno man, you sure you played all the 2D Zelda games?

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Oof, this take is just. Well, it's bad.

I dunno man, you sure you played all the 2D Zelda games?
Its not even a take
Thats literally what happened irl like not even a exaggeration

I was playing oracle of ages and i got to that island with the ugly lizard people and just dozed off....
It kept happening everytime. They're just that boring.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ruh roh

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This doesn’t look good for :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:... and no, Sony isn’t like Microsoft. They would NOT want to play ball with Sakurai like Microsoft did with :ultbanjokazooie:, they’d just be like “**** you”

D

Deleted member

Many 2D Zelda games are good.

Heck, I even feel Zelda 2 isn't as bad as people say It is.

It is a tough game, but far from being an awful one.

I dare to say there are no bad Zelda games made by Nintendo (since the CDi games were made by another company).

D

Deleted member

Ruh roh

This doesn’t look good for :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:... and no, Sony isn’t like Microsoft. They would NOT want to play ball with Sakurai like Microsoft did with :ultbanjokazooie:, they’d just be like “**** you”
Great...are they going for another PSABR entry or nah?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
You mean like how Geno was bandwagoned due to Forest Maze being a meme and the fans ****ing died for Smash 4 only to get new support, bandwagoners, after the Smash 4 costume?
Well, it's a good thing I didn't actually accuse Dante's fans of all or even mostly being bandwagoners, isn't it? Also, I'm not exactly sure how you could honestly describe a character seeing a resurgance in popularity as bandwagoning, especially considering bandwagoning is really only applicable to popular characters and from what I've heard, Geno's not really as popular as some would like to believe he is. So if Geno is as much of a bandwagon character as you're saying he is, then surely he must have some level of popularity in order to atract such bandwagoners, right?

It's easy to dismiss anyone you don't like as a bandwagon my dude, especially as bandwagons are only deemed bad if it's a character you don't like
Who said I didn't like Dante? I've never played his games, but he's cool enough and I really do think he has a great chance at gettin into Smash. Also, the irony of you telling me not to diss a fanbase as full of bandwagoners while you do exactly that to Geno's fanbase. Pot, meet kettle.

I was interested at one point when i found out you can do dungeons in any order but i kinda just never played it. I think poekmon cam eout like a month later so i just forgot about it.

Tried out oracle and awakening and got bored with both, Didnt like any of the DS games either. Zelda 2 sucks and theres already a overwhelming amount of 2d sidecrolling adventures games like Zelda 2 that were WAY better (Monster World IV, Popful Mail).
Well I'd recommend you give ALBW a second look, then. It's a lot of fun, and easily one of my favorite Zelda games.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
It's going pretty well! At the moment, I'm trying to work out whether certain peripherals would work as part of the moveset, such as the Nunchuk, Wiimote Steering Wheel and Balance Board.
Cool, I think the Nunchuck should be it's Up Special where the Wiimote spins it like a propeller to fly upwards.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ruh roh

Konami employee: "Sir, the coronavirus is hurting pachinko sales, what do we do?"
Konami according to this blatantly fake rumour: "SELL OUR HIGHEST SELLING PROPERTIES SO WE CAN LOSE MORE MONEY EVEN THOUGH WE'VE REMEMBERED THAT CASTLEVANIA SELLS MONEY"

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Ruh roh

Relax, I don't think they're going to walk over to Daddy Sakurai with a gun and demand he remove Metal Gear and Castlevania from the game OR ELSE.

Funnily enough though, if that's for real and the deal goes through, that retroactively makes Snake and the Belmonts the official Sony reps.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Ruh roh

konami selling their most iconic stuff, sure.

Did the source come from someone's ass too?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ruh roh

The rumour comes from 4Chan, so take It with a huge grain of salt.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Sure, but you could say this about any character. You could say that Joker was one of the top "no-brainer" 3rd parties because people like Alpharad and RelaxAlax were really hyped to see him get into Smash. You could say that Geno is one of the top "no-brainer" 3rd parties because people like PapaGenos, Terminal Montage, or Jirard the Completionist really want him in Smash as well. Just because some bigger names also really want a character, that doesn't necessarily mean that that character is highly requested.

I'm pretty sure most of that hype you're talking about had more to do with there being a DMC reveal on the same day as the Smash Direct, which lead people to freak out because they thought they knew for sure who FP5 would be, than it did Dante himself. I know it's been a while, but surely you still remember how terrible the wait between Terry and FP5 was. Nobody knew who it was going to be, and they proceeded to latch on to anything that gave them some peace of mind.

I'm not doubting he'd be a great reveal, hell that's partially the reason I think he'll be FP6, It's just that from my experience he never seemed like the most popular picks. From what I've seen over the years he always seemed sort of... there. Like I'd hear about him from time to time, I'd hear that people wanted him and thought he could get in, but he never seemed all that big compared to the likes of Cloud, Ridley or Banjo.

People actually getting an indication that something is possible isn't bandwagoning. Dante was in the same category as other characters that was "would be cool, but little Nintendo connection, so probably not possible" which hindered his fanbase growth, but that got smashed after that one tweet and the subsequent Switch releases. He's been THE Japanese 3rd party pick that actually seemed feasible (as in not Sora) for at least a year now, and before that he's been highly requested too both on his own and by virtue of being able to fight his spiritual successor.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, it's a good thing I didn't actually accuse Dante's fans of all or even mostly being bandwagoners, isn't it? Also, I'm not exactly sure how you could honestly describe a character seeing a resurgance in popularity as bandwagoning, especially considering bandwagoning is really only applicable to popular characters and from what I've heard, Geno's not really as popular as some would like to believe he is. So if Geno is as much of a bandwagon character as you're saying he is, then surely he must have some level of popularity in order to atract such bandwagoners, right?

Who said I didn't like Dante? I've never played his games, but he's cool enough and I really do think he has a great chance at gettin into Smash. Also, the irony of you telling me not to diss a fanbase as full of bandwagoners while you do exactly that to Geno's fanbase. Pot, meet kettle.

Well I'd recommend you give ALBW a second look, then. It's a lot of fun, and easily one of my favorite Zelda games.
The point of me calling Genos fans bandwagoners was to make you think about how dumb it sounds to call people bandwagoners for being excited at the thought of a multimillion franchise that got revived past year coming to Smash.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Ruh roh

On one hand: This makes them coming back to Smash much more unlikely. And that is this is true or not which it likely isn't.

On the other hand: This makes Metal Gear and Silent Hill have life again. However, Nintendo should have Castlevania, not Sony. I don't care if Symphony of the Night is a Playstation classic, Nintendo fits Castlevania more then Sony does. If all this is true, Silent Hills definitely should continue.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If Sony buying MGS means we finally get Rising 2 then yeah I'm all for it

For the record I think that leak is just a load of fanfiction.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
"On top of all of this, Sony Interactive Entertainment apparently wants a 3D Castlevania title made by Japan Studio that is a lot like BloodBorne and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow"

Awful
They own the Bloodborne IP so why not just make more Bloodborne games instead?????

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ruh roh

Bruh, CV not being multiplat anymore would suck. I know it's probably fake, but still.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
"On top of all of this, Sony Interactive Entertainment apparently wants a 3D Castlevania title made by Japan Studio that is a lot like BloodBorne and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow"

Awful
They own the Bloodborne IP so why not just make more Bloodborne games instead?????
That doesn't catch the attention of Konami fans enough to care about my fake leak that's why

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ruh roh

Whelp RIP:ultsnake::ultsimon:and:ultrichter:for potentially Smash 6 or ported updated versions of Smash Ultimate. Not like they probably had any chance of returning anyways for the former.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Awful
Pretty much, just make the setting a gigantic Cainhurst Castle if you really want to go with a Castlevania vibe.

D

Deleted member

With everything that has transpired around the world, I would wonder if Sakurai will talk about the coronavirus and its current impact on development and the Japanese gaming industry as a whole in a Famitsu column. A lot of people would probably want to know how Sakurai's handling things while current events take fold. Now, people will probably be scared ****less of a headline that has both "Sakurai" and "Coronavirus" in it, but so long as it's Sakurai talking about the events and not him declaring he or someone close to him has it, things should be okay for everyone in the meantime.

Other than that, since it's now the start of a new week, we'll find out if the rumored Indie World showcase will happen in a few days. If it does get announced, I'm hoping for Katana ZERO to finally announce its DLC and give us a release date.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So, uhhh... thoughts?

For context, Jon often reposts otters right before a Direct is to be announced.

People actually getting an indication that something is possible isn't bandwagoning. Dante was in the same category as other characters that was "would be cool, but little Nintendo connection, so probably not possible" which hindered his fanbase growth, but that got smashed after that one tweet and the subsequent Switch releases. He's been THE Japanese 3rd party pick that actually seemed feasible (as in not Sora) for at least a year now, and before that he's been highly requested too both on his own and by virtue of being able to fight his spiritual successor.
I wasn't saying that Dante's newfound support is bandwagoning, I was just a bit confused by what you provided as evidence that he wasn't a "vanilla" character as I had described, because telling me that a character has been super highly requested ever since a certain recent event sort of reads to me like you're saying "Everyone thinks he's likely now, so he was always a big deal.". Sorry for the confusion.

The point of me calling Genos fans bandwagoners was to make you think about how dumb it sounds to call people bandwagoners for being excited at the thought of a multimillion franchise that got revived past year coming to Smash.
Well in that case your point failed, since I didn't say that.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
With everything that has transpired around the world, I would wonder if Sakurai will talk about the coronavirus and its current impact on development and the Japanese gaming industry as a whole in a Famitsu column. A lot of people would probably want to know how Sakurai's handling things while current events take fold. Now, people will probably be scared ****less of a headline that has both "Sakurai" and "Coronavirus" in it, but so long as it's Sakurai talking about the events and not him declaring he or someone close to him has it, things should be okay for everyone in the meantime.

Other than that, since it's now the start of a new week, we'll find out if the rumored Indie World showcase will happen in a few days. If it does get announced, I'm hoping for Katana ZERO to finally announce its DLC and give us a release date.
Quick reminder: what's the rumored day of the Indie presentation? The 18th?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Its not even a take
Thats literally what happened irl like not even a exaggeration

I was playing oracle of ages and i got to that island with the ugly lizard people and just dozed off....
It kept happening everytime. They're just that boring.
So you based Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, A Link Between Worlds, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages off of the first 15 minutes of Ages? Which is largely considered one of the weakest games, 2D or otherwise, in the entire franchise?

Like I get not liking Zelda. I can understand that. Lots of people don't but stating that those 3 are better than ANY 2D Zelda game when you've only played one, ALttP is foolish and dismissive and you're only saying that, likely, because you grew up in the Sega vs. Nintendo timeframe where it was one or the other but now it seems like you're just not willing to try.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just discovered Okami 2 was almost in development but got cancelled

RIP Amaterasu
What a load of bull****!
Looking at this graph the two highest dates are April 17th and April 29th. April 17th is the current next amiibo restock, so it makes sense why it's so high since it's a very, very safe bet statistically. April 29th is also high for some reason. Which is neat.
But as you stated. Those are restocks not new amiibos.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Speaking of which

Really hate how Castlevania went from "cool japanese take on hammer and stake horror movies" to EDGY series where Alucard gets gangbanged and everyone says the F word every 5 seconds

Warren Ellis is a hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom