• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't know how y'all can hype a direct this or next month but not hype Animal Crossing New Horizons instead.
Cause I don't care about Animal Crossing?

To be fair he was aware of Ridley popularity way before the ballot, even acknowledging it in Brawl era.
And flat out didn't want to add him, likely until the ballot showed him exactly HOW popular the character was, causing him to change his mind.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai can see more than you think. He could tell that Mega Man, Ridley (mainly a Western request), and Geno were popular without a ballot, and I don't think he needed a ballot to see that K. Rool and Banjo were popular either. A lot of characters who he claims to have gotten in because of the ballot should've been obvious.
I think he had a ballot substantiate all those characters. Maybe not Geno, but the timing of being "considered" for Brawl would line up with receiving the results from the Brawl poll. However, Mega Man's inclusion was owing to his placement as second-most requested third-party (behind Sonic) on the (Japan-only) Brawl poll. That much has been admitted by Sakurai.

Then after several games of nothing, almost immediately after the ballot K. Rool receives a costume then a character in the game shaped largely by the ballot (and that's if we're assuming the NoA source that claimed they were taken aback by K. Rool's popularity is untrue). You would certainly be able to make a compelling case that the ballot was the impetus.

Then with Banjo, maybe a ballot wasn't necessary, but given Sakurai used the ballot for Ultimate, then included Banjo, then compared Banjo to K. Rool and Ridley, two characters who also have ties to the ballot, I'm sure it played a part as well. There was no time period post-buyout in which Sakurai could observe Banjo's popularity in which he didn't already have ballot data, given it only reignited when the ballot began.

Personally I'm not sure if Sakurai sees all we think he does. It's hard to tell. Sometimes he seems blindsided until presented with tangible evidence, but then there are cases like Mewtwo where despite the lack of some census, Sakurai still knew the character was popular. Though perhaps not until mid-way through developing Smash 4, even though he had been popular ever since being cut.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This controversy conversation reminds me of Animal Farm.

"Everybody's controversial, but some are more controversial than others."
In fact, why don't we play a game in which we post complaints a character would receive, and try to guess who they are?

"She doesn't introduce a new world, WW was already represented"
"Zelda will stick to Links/Zeldas/Ganons forever, won't it?"

D

Deleted member

Who do you think will be revealed at E3???
Nobody. Accept destiny for what it is.

I know...

Life simulators just don't do it for me though.
Fair.

In fact, why don't we play a game in which we post complaints a character would receive, and try to guess who they are?

"She doesn't introduce a new world, WW was already represented"
"Zelda will stick to Links/Zeldas/Ganons forever, won't it?"
Tetra. Next.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Fascinating.
That really is how a majority of speculation works though. Whatever character the fanbase is obsessed with is usually considered to be 10x more likely than what they really are.

And who do you want?
At the moment, a Pokemon from SwSh that preferably isn't a starter and (finally) another Zelda rep. Paper Mario, Dixie, and BWD would also be swell.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I know...

Life simulators just don't do it for me though.
I adore Animal Crossing, but to be honest I think New Horizons is being over-hyped, not that it doesn't look absolutely amazing game but life sims aren't for everybody.

If you don't care for Animal Crossing you're out of luck as a Nintendo fan right now. Hopefully a direct will amend that soon...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The E3 reveal(s) will definitely be the ones to look out for.

E3 2018 had Ridley (+Everyone is here and Daisy)
E3 2019 had Banjo & Kazooie (+Hero)
E3 2020 will have _________

zferolie

Smash Hero
i am guessing crash will be at e3 as that would have lots of sony fans noticing it. I doubt we would get a second there giving how this pass goes till 2021.

I would love shantae to be shown there but banking on her at another time, like the first in the pass or after e3

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
The E3 reveal(s) will definitely be the ones to look out for.

E3 2018 had Ridley (+Everyone is here and Daisy)
E3 2019 had Banjo & Kazooie (+Hero)
E3 2020 will have _________
...no attendees due to Covid 19 shutting down all large gatherings for the next 4 months, as well as generally declining interest from publishers and less reliance on large promotional events due to the Information Age methods of sharing content changing the way target audiences receive news about upcoming releases?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Goomba with a hat!"
"He's not unquie!"
Bandana Dee.

"Why couldn't you just deal with the AT?"
"Only the Smash Bubble cares about him."
"You people complain about JRPG swordsmen but wanted this?"

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Been playing Yakuza 0 lately, and Beast style is so much fun. If Kiryu gets into Smash I hope he has style switching since It could make a really unique fighter.
The first heat action for Beast style is literally K. Rool's down throw
I didn't think about that. Yeah it would be a neat gimmick for him, sounds like Monado arts a bit.

D

Deleted member

"Ugh! A first party character."
"Ewww! a promotional character for a recent release."
"This guy’s from an already represented universe. LAME!"
"NO NO NO!! He was already represented as a Spirit and is in not one, but TWO Final Smashes!"
"THAT SLOT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FOR A CHARACTER FROM AN NEW FRANCHISE! THE CROSSOVER IS RUINED!!!"
edit: Made it sound more complain-y.

Last edited by a moderator:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Anyone who tries to use core fandom reaction as a determining factor for characters that Nintendo picked is rather short-sighted. Barring Banjo-Kazooie, none of the Fighter Pass characters were those that were pushed or talked that much by the core Smash fandom.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sol Badguy.

"She only dances and gets kidnapped. The NDS doesn't exist at all!"
"We don't need more Mario reps"
Pauline.