• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tora_Toad

Smash Rookie
reminder that before vol 2 was greenlit, byleth was intended to be the last character Ultimate would ever receive
That is
Every character is "controversial", dude. There will never be any character in existence who everyone will unanimously agree would be a good pick for DLC.

Just because your friends aren't into Chief doesn't mean he's a bad pick. It just means he doesn't fit their personal tastes.
I know a lot other people who don't like him, and it's a bit ridiculous. Three Microsoft Characters including Cuphead? Iv'e heard many discussions online. You have to keep the controversy to a minimum, like I said before, Bandanna Dee would be a much better character for FP11, and Master Chief would abe a better starter, or someone in the middle. There are so many more characters who would get less hate and that would fit in smash better. Sora would be a perfect FP11 character other than Bdee. Dude.

I doubt having three Marios would be that upsetting seeing as we have three Links.
I totally forgot about that! thank you :D !!! probably because of how **** and forgetable the other two links are. If it weren't for everyone is here, we would only have 2 Links

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
You're saying that like Isaac fans don't want GS4/a GS remake as a way for Nintendo to promote Isaac.
Hi yes, how is this monkey's paw?? More like best case scenario paw.

Heck, I'd even trade Isaac/other Venus Adept playable in Smash for a GS4 or remake on Switch... but really one begets the other going either way. ESPECIALLY if it's Nintendo calling the shots now.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
That is

I know a lot other people who don't like him, and it's a bit ridiculous. Three Microsoft Characters including Cuphead? Iv'e heard many discussions online. You have to keep the controversy to a minimum, like I said before, Bandanna Dee would be a much better character for FP11, and Master Chief would abe a better starter, or someone in the middle. There are so many more characters who would get less hate and that would fit in smash better. Sora would be a perfect FP11 character other than Bdee. Dude.
We have 3 Capcom characters and no one is complaining, people want even more Capcom characters! Also Banjo and Cuphead where not controversial pick at all so I don't see the point you're trying to make.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I like your ideas for the smash DLC characters, I just think pauline wouldn't get in the game. and I don't think paper Mario would either, a lot of people would get upset with three marios, if they removed Doc in the next game and added paper, that would be cool :D
Aside from having "Mario" in his name, Paper Mario shouldn't be anything like regular Mario.

Actually, I think it would be harder to make him a clone than a unique character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Are we literally comparing, and I mean no offense, the literal icon of Xbox and one of the most revolutionary FPS games in the history of the industry

to

the extra character in Kirby games?

Like hey, like what you like. But if you really think a megaton pick like Master Chief would be received worse than a side character from a B-Tier Nintendo series, I don’t really know what to tell you. Different strokes for different folks, but there’s simply no comparison to who would be the better “last Ultimate character” otherwise known as the last entry to the crossover in terms of overall wow factor.

I doubt it’ll be anybody big, but that’s unfair to BWD to put him in that comparison, by far.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
You're saying that like Isaac fans don't want GS4/a GS remake as a way for Nintendo to promote Isaac.
Hi yes, how is this monkey's paw?? More like best case scenario paw.

Heck, I'd even trade Isaac/other Venus Adept playable in Smash for a GS4 or remake on Switch... but really one begets the other going either way. ESPECIALLY if it's Nintendo calling the shots now.
The monkey's paw is that my wish results in this game being CANCELLED. Not that the game exists.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I had to check the dates cause I was sure this was after Sabi deleted his twitter account, but it appears that Emily did say it before that happened. My bad. For some reason I lost track of time and thought the AC Direct was in the last week of February which would've been after Sabi and Zippo saying Nintendo were coming for their asses (even though Zippo said he was speculating about the directs or some **** idk).
Its fine. Its hard to remember when one leaker/insider said one thing or another.

I doubt having three Marios would be that upsetting seeing as we have three Links.
If that third mario is Paper Mario I don't think anyone would be upset at all, as Paper mario would be very different and he is really loved

D

Deleted member

Are we literally comparing, and I mean no offense, the literal icon of Xbox and one of the most revolutionary FPS games in the history of the industry

to

the extra character in Kirby games?

Like hey, like what you like. But if you really think a megaton pick like Master Chief would be received worse than a side character from a B-Tier Nintendo series, I don’t really know what to tell you. Different strokes for different folks, but there’s simply no comparison to who would be the better “last Ultimate character” otherwise known as the last entry to the crossover in terms of overall wow factor.

I doubt it’ll be anybody big, but that’s unfair to BWD to put him in that comparison, by far.
Right? As a Kirby fan, I would sacrifice the hell out of Bandana Waddle Dee if it meant Chief made it. He is that much of a western gaming icon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the last character isn't controversial, that will be the first time that ever happened.

So saying it shouldn't be or it won't be seems like an observation from someone who maybe wasn't paying attention.

But then again suggesting Bandana Dee would be less controversial than Master Chief as if we were in the pre-Cloud, pre-"Survive Together" days is also an out-there take.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Every character is "controversial", dude. There will never be any character in existence who everyone will unanimously agree would be a good pick for DLC.
Are you sure about this? Banjo seemed to be universally loved as a character

The worst complaints I've ever seen about him are that he feels like a character that should have been in base.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Right? As a Kirby fan, I would sacrifice the hell out of Bandana Waddle Dee if it meant Chief made it. He is that much of a western gaming icon.
I'm more of a Doom guy (not to be confused with Doomguy himself) and I don't believe that Smash's roster should be an elite gaming hall of fame, so...Dee's fine.

D

Deleted member

The worst complaints I've ever seen about him are that he feels like a character that should have been in base.
I've seen some people here hate him or his fanbase, but Banjo seems to be an accepted edition overall.

Compared to Byleth? Holy ****. There was a clear and evident uproar within the Smash community when Banjo made it in.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
"Controversial" is not the same as causing controversy, and no fighter pass characters caused as much controversy as Byleth. A few ****posters on /v/ upset that Banjo got in because they spent the past 10 months falseflagging as Minecraft fans, or people spamming "hoes mad" over Hero and then Terry is absolutely not the same as the overwhelmingly negative response and the coverage to said response that Byleth got. Hell, ZeRo is still making videos about it.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Master Chief is a character I wouldn't mind seeing as a potential playable fighter in Smash. In fact, a lot of people would be hyped for him, especially considering he's one of the most iconic western video game characters. If he does show up, then I would love to hear a Smash remix of the Halo theme, choir included. Certainly helps that Nintendo and Microsoft are willing together, like what happened when Minecraft and Cuphead came to the Switch and Banjo came to Smash.

Now is he guaranteed? No, but it's fun to humor the idea of him potentially coming to Smash.

D

Deleted member

I'm more of a Doom guy (not to be confused with Doomguy himself) and I don't believe that Smash's roster should be an elite gaming hall of fame, so...Dee's fine.
I'm not trying to enforce Smash as a hall of fame sort of deal, but I wanna see the internet erupt if Chief makes it in.

While I support Dee, Chief is just too big of a pick for me not to prioritize.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm not trying to enforce Smash as a hall of fame sort of deal, but I wanna see the internet erupt if Chief makes it in.

While I support Dee, Chief is just too big of a pick for me not to prioritize.
Understandable. Can't deny how much the internet would blow up.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The only real beef I have with Master Chief is that he'd be competing with Doomguy for a slot.
Not that I don't think there's room in the pass for two characters covering the same genre (Looking at you, Joker and Hero) but on a superficial level, having two western-developed fps space marines might be pretty redundant.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Ah yes Rex's chances of being playable are dead forever, because by the time a new Smash game comes out a new Xenoblade will be released, and the new protag will obviously be prioritized.

Just like how Noctis was chosen over Cloud because FFXV was the new Final Fantasy game, and Cloud's a relic of a bygone era. Or like how the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl was based off of Lucas from Diamond and Pearl, because who cares about Red anymore? He's not the most recent protag, so he's old news!

Toon Link? Who cares about him?! Twilight Princess was already released, Wind Waker's nothing anymore! Dark Samus? Hasn't been relevant for years! Thank god we got the Queen Metroid from Other M instead of that old dinosaur!

EDIT: Oh, and let's not even talk about Shulk. Phew, sure am glad we got Elma instead of a dude from a Wii game released years ago.
Oh boy, where do we start?

1. Final Fantasy VII is a corner stone of gaming. Final Fantasy changes up it cast of characters and world, but it the most iconic Final Fantasy game that changed everything; it's the face of the series. Xenoblade 2 is not on that level, it's a great game but it not the face of the series.

2. Gen 1 is the most recognizable Pokemon of the series. It gets special treatment. There's a reason why Gen 1 Pokemon comes back instead of getting someone from Gen 3 or 5.

3. Toon Link was suppose to replace Young Link. Winder Wake was fairly new so it make sense to replace Young Link with Toon Link.

4. Metroid is a consistent series. It doesn't change worlds and characters like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade, so you can't hold Dark Samus into the same comparison as Rex.

5. Xenoblade 1 came out before Xenoblade X, so of course Shulk was getting in before Elma. It started the series.

You got to put Xenoblade in the same category as Fire Emblem. The character who started the series get in first and whenever the current game comes out during the current Smash Bros cycle that character would be chosen. There's a reason why Lyn or any Pokemon for Gen 3 & 5 aren't becoming playable. But sure, keep believing Rex still has a shot in the future.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
A lot of people

a lot of people hate master chief and would much rather a roster spot go to a nintendo character instead of another Microsoft Rep. I know a fair amount of people who said they would quit if master chief gets in the game. A mii costume for him would be perfect.
Master Chief...one of the biggest icons in the history of gaming and helped shape two entire generations of gaming with the 6th and 7th generation...is viewed negatively and will be a bad addition to a legendary roster of video game icons throughout it's history...compared to a side-character from Kirby...

.....look no offense to Bandana Dee...but this is simply no damn contest.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm more confident in Chief than I would ever have believed myself to be even just a year ago, much less during Sm4sh speculation. It's genuinely surreal how people just nonchalantly talk about MASTER CHIEF IN SMASH BROTHERS. I struggle see a situation where Chief is on the table and Nintendo doesn't jump on the opportunity, it's that big of a moment. The Halo on Switch rumors have persisted for a full-year at this point and if they do actually get officially announced I will be floored if he isn't in.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Banjo didn't resonate with everyone, and sadly, I'm one of those people.

Any character can be controversial, but only a few have legitimately caused a controversy.

D

Deleted member

This controversy conversation reminds me of Animal Farm.

"Everybody's controversial, but some are more controversial than others."

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

If you took a quick stroll down 4chan back during his reveal, and hell probably even now, you'd see plenty of vitriol surrounding Banjo.

Banjo's pretty well-loved, yeah, but even he isn't a universally accepted addition.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sakurai can see more than you think. He could tell that Mega Man, Ridley (mainly a Western request), and Geno were popular without a ballot, and I don't think he needed a ballot to see that K. Rool and Banjo were popular either. A lot of characters who he claims to have gotten in because of the ballot should've been obvious.
I feel like you're under the impression that Sakurai is somehow aware of the goings on of this message board, which would be kinda ridiculous, considering how often he seems to be taken by surprise by the fan response to some things.

Like remember how shocked he seemed when he found out Bayonetta was broken...during a demonstration for Ultimate?

Nintendo has a reputation for being insular and ignoring outside opinions. And frankly, no, I don't think we WOULD have Ridley or K. Rool today without the ballot.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Id rather have this boy as another Sega rep

So we can have Yakuza, Persona and Sonic characters fighting each other after the few times they've referenced one another
Been playing Yakuza 0 lately, and Beast style is so much fun. If Kiryu gets into Smash I hope he has style switching since It could make a really unique fighter.
The first heat action for Beast style is literally K. Rool's down throw

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
The monkey's paw is that my wish results in this game being CANCELLED. Not that the game exists.
Hey now, you said delays. Frankly, I view every Mario Golf and Tennis game since 2001 as a delay, so take your blood money and leave me in peace, dead evil juju monkey.

And it's funny that you bring that up, we were just talking about it in the Isaac thread. If one of the six FP2 characters is a Golden Sun character (or any other shill first-party Nintendo character, say Sylux, for that matter), there's no doubt that they absolutely were delayed to coincide with the release of their game.

The one thing Byleth had going for them was timing, striking while that FE:3H zeitgeist was hot. All that hot and heavy DQ11 marketing Nintendo's doing, too.

TL;DR - shill picks stonks are strong buy buy buy

D

Deleted member

As someone who hasn’t played any Halo games and really wants Bandana Dee, I agree that adding Master Chief in Smash would be more hype to the general gaming community then adding Dee and wouldn’t be as divisive as him in this day in age.

What I don't agree with, however, is saying that Bandana Dee is "just an extra" or "a side character" when he’s now pretty much the fourth main character of his home series after Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Does Japan care that much about Halo for Cheif to get in?
Take it from a guy with Chief in his signature, Halo is turbo-niche in Japan. I don't think he's super unlikely, but if he were considered by Nintendo, it would purely be as a western pick. Like, Dragon Quest was niche in the west, but it's mainstream compared to Halo in Japan, if you get what I'm saying

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I feel like you're under the impression that Sakurai is somehow aware of the goings on of this message board, which would be kinda ridiculous, considering how often he seems to be taken by surprise by the fan response to some things.

Like remember how shocked he seemed when he found out Bayonetta was broken...during a demonstration for Ultimate?

Nintendo has a reputation for being insular and ignoring outside opinions. And frankly, no, I don't think we WOULD have Ridley or K. Rool today without the ballot.
To be fair he was aware of Ridley popularity way before the ballot, even acknowledging it in Brawl era. Also he knew about Sans popularity despite Sans probably having a really small presence in the ballot: the ballot was from April 1st 2015 to October 3 2015 and Undertale released Sepember 15 2015.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
If you took a quick stroll down 4chan back during his reveal, and hell probably even now, you'd see plenty of vitriol surrounding Banjo.

Banjo's pretty well-loved, yeah, but even he isn't a universally accepted addition.
Yeah, but like, that's /v/. 50% of the board trashes Smash and the other 50% trashes character suggestions and will find a way to make anyone sound boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom