• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm fine with Spirits replacing Trophies, but cutting the short little descriptions really sucks. It was especially helpful when it came to teaching me about characters I didn't know about.

Now, I'll have to manually search for the character online if I want to find out who they are, and I have neither the time or the interest to do that with every character.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I'm just glad Starfy not only still got kept as an Assist while other mainstays like Saki got cut, but the series also got some love in the spirits department.

If Starfy was somehow on the second pass that'd be sweet.

Which one?
Someone who plays Advance Wars please let me know if it has same turn reinforcements.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Complaining about Trophies cut has always come off as weird to me. Like, trophies, perhaps more so than any other Smash content were very much a product of their times. When they debuted in Melee, they were an ideal way to educate the people playing about Nintendo's rich history and unique characters that weren't playable or in other roles in the game at a time when the internet wasn't as easily accessible...

But in today's world, genuinely whats the point of Trophies? You'll learn way more if you obtain a Spirit and just do a 2 second Google search than you ever could in Smash games because the internet has evolved to that point. Smash has already spent the past 20 years informing people about Nintendo's history and characters as well, so there's not as much of an incentive to go all in on making loads of 3D models for a huge variety of characters when that takes up a significant chunk of development time. Sure, it's a cute and charming thing to do, but there's minimal return on your investment and unfortunately you can't actually do much with a Trophy other than display it. Meanwhile, Spirit Battles actually take the concept of Trophies and just do them way better IMO. If you actually know your Nintendo and Third Party history, the Spirit Battles alone will have you grinning as you realize what unique references have been packed into a gameplay medium. Not all of them are winners, but it's always a joy to see a rather unique way of communicating information to the player through gameplay instead of a static model and text. A Jiggy Spirit translating to a collectathon on Great Cave Offensive for example is one of the best implementations of extra content I've seen in Smash period. And not all Spirits have battles, but I think the way Spirits have been implemented is far more in the Spirit of Ultimate's celebration of Smash content to Melee's defining theme of discovery of content. The fan base has had 20 years to discover and learn about all this wonderful content, so Ultimate celebrates it by being packed with references and nothing but nods to the fans. Hell, that's why Everyone is Here is so great, because it's the most direct acknowledgement Sakurai has ever made to the fans of the series.
I don't know. I kind of wish they at least gave us Trophies for playable characters.

There's no face-petting in Advance Wars tho
There should be. I'd love to pet tanks, fighter jets and attack helicopters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It'd be nice to see some characters realized in a 3D smash style. It's also nice collecting something a little more weighty and original than an existing png.

And yeah you could just see a spirit and go, "who dis" and google them, but people aren't going to do that for dozens of characters. The information was already just there for trophies, you could read one after the other. That's not really the spirit's fault, more just an opportunity that wasn't missed with trophies. Personally I was never really one for reading the summaries - but I know other people liked that.

Also, the spirit battle is something apart the spirit. The spirit battle could still exist with trophies, it'd just be a "trophy battle".
Most of the 3D models are taken from other games though.
If anything, I think I might prefer them doing what their currently doing with stage cameo's. Especially in the DLC stages.
Imagine seeing Ness's/Lucas's friends or other Earthbound characters hanging around in the Onett and New Pork City stages, or Tetra and her pirate crew on the Pirate ship stage. Makes the stages more lively and all.

I think that was part of the plan for the Delfino Plaza Stage in terms of "making you feel like a tourist" its only missing the Pianta's and Noki's though...

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And Advance Wars literally got their only AT removed in Ultimate. Golden Sun and Wars haven't both had ATs in the same game since Brawl.
I really don't understand why any ATs between Smash 4 and Ultimate needed to be cut (Isabelle and Dark Samus aside), given how heavily the latter used the former as a base. And given how none of the Pokemon were axed. :/

I've heard suggestions that it could've been technical hurdles, but I find that pretty questionable both logistically and when by far the most frequent ATs cuts across the series are just those without recent iterations. Apart from the retro retros, for whom Sakurai always holds the door open. :p

I'd rather have face petting than ****ing Fog of War that you can't relatively cheese

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Hmmm.

I want something like another ESRB leak, Grinch Leak or Google Theory; even if it doesn't actually lead us to the content of the next fighter pass, it'd be something to generate interesting, evidence-based discussion and speculation, instead of 'x should be in smash because I want' and chains of a dozen 'here is my ideal FPv2 what is yours' posts. I know this is the Speculation thread and that's what the thread is supposed to be about, but I like it when there's something to constructively gear discussion a certain way.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmmm.

I want something like another ESRB leak, Grinch Leak or Google Theory; even if it doesn't actually lead us to the content of the next fighter pass, it'd be something to generate interesting, evidence-based discussion and speculation, instead of 'x should be in smash because I want' and chains of a dozen 'here is my ideal FPv2 what is yours' posts. I know this is the Speculation thread and that's what the thread is supposed to be about, but I like it when there's something to constructively gear discussion a certain way.
i mean id like that too but ever since they went on full lockdown post-swsh, don't expect any big juicy leaks sadly

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hmmm.

trust me, for this site's sake, you do not want another grinch leak.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
i mean id like that too but ever since they went on full lockdown post-swsh, don't expect any big juicy leaks sadly
Honestly the fact that people still pretend to be in the know about Smash leaks/spread 'potential' leaks since that happened should be enough proof that they're full of **** at best or a complete ****ing idiot at worst

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Honestly the fact that people still pretend to be in the know about Smash leaks/spread 'potential' leaks since that happened should be enough proof that they're full of **** at best or a complete ****ing idiot at worst
You say that now, but my uncle who works at nintendo says he knows exactly which 6 blue-haired amines are getting added next.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Most of the 3D models are taken from other games though.
If anything, I think I might prefer them doing what their currently doing with stage cameo's. Especially in the DLC stages.
Imagine seeing Ness's/Lucas's friends or other Earthbound characters hanging around in the Onett and New Pork City stages, or Tetra and her pirate crew on the Pirate ship stage. Makes the stages more lively and all.

I think that was part of the plan for the Delfino Plaza Stage in terms of "making you feel like a tourist" its only missing the Pianta's and Noki's though...
I genuinely want more DLC stages than the ones included in the passes just for this.

Even if the stages in question are from games without actual playable representation, like a Shantae stage where her and her friends hang out in the background, Sky Pillar where Zinnia and Wallace are in the background

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You say that now, but my uncle who works at nintendo says he knows exactly which 6 blue-haired amines are getting added next.
I know you're joking but for real, Nintendo has shown they can get your info even if you post it on somewhere like reddit, 4chan or discord and whenever I see people trying to pass off their delusions or fakes as legit I can't help but think that if they had actual info and were actually leaking it, then the white teenage girls in the new Candyman trailer probably have more self preservation instincts

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
anyway uh... let's change the topic

Do you think FPV2 will open with a BIG HEAVY HITTER like Crash or Master Chief, a fan fave pick , or a curveball?
Hard to say - there's probably evidence going in all sorts of different directions. Smash Ultimate's announcement had Inkling, an obvious pick, while Smash 4 gave us Mega Man and Smash 4's DLC gave us Mewtwo. (clear fan favourites/heavy hitters)

On the other hand, Smash 4's announcement also gave us Wii Fit Trainer, and Smash Ultimate's DLC kicked off with Piranha Plant and Joker (all of whom were definitely curveballs).

My first guess when the post-Fighters-Pass DLC was announced was that it would be someone who is a popular choice but couldn't make it into the Fighters Pass for one reason or another - specifically, my guess was Geno, though plenty of characters could fit the bill.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
trust me, for this site's sake, you do not want another grinch leak.
Yeesh, don't remind me of that. Half the characters on that leak weren't even well thought out. Who's unironically asking for Mach Rider? Seriously.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeesh, don't remind me of that. Half the characters on that leak weren't even well thought out. Who's unironically asking for Mach Rider? Seriously.
I think if you want to create any plausible looking roster, you do have to throw in at least one or two characters no one asked for. Otherwise it wouldn't be Sakurai-esque. Not saying Mach Rider is the best choice, but someone.

I mean, who's asking for Mach Rider? Probably more people than who asked for Piranha Plant.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
It's not as all surprising that the guy with the Meowth avatar would tonedeafly support more Gen 1 representation over everything else.

He has a bias people, just accept it and move on.
We got Byleth and their entire personality is that they don't have one.
I disagree with the “Doomguy don’t have a personality, so he can’t get into Smash“ people

But jfc, how much longer people are gonna pull that “(FE character) doesn’t have a personality XDDD” lie

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mean, I'm down. It was real and seeing moderators break their own rules because of salty denial was hilarious.

Fake leaks are a no, though. Grinch leak was just abysmal, peoples' heads were so up their own rear that they couldn't think logically about it. :nifty:

the hell is google theory
Mariotehplumber bought up ads on google to show the fighter pass if you searched for Doomslayer, Artorius, Banjo and someone else, it ended up being fake
I disagree with the “Doomguy don’t have a personality, so he can’t get into Smash“ people

But jfc, how much longer people are gonna pull that “(FE character) doesn’t have a personality XDDD” lie
Tbf Byleth's entire personality in 3H is to be a blank slate, which is mentioned in their own game

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Mariotehplumber bought up ads on google to show the fighter pass if you searched for Doomslayer, Artorius, Banjo and someone else, it ended up being fake
Who the hell is mariotehplumber and why did he waste money for google ads

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I only see advertisements instead of fleshed-out characters.
IT: “I don’t care for this particular franchise, so it’s advertising!”

Plant who's a joke character, neither of which should really be here
You literally just couterdicted yourself

“People tolerated Mario”
”Also :ultpiranha: :ultdoc: shouldn’t be here, BUT people tolerate Mario!! He’s Nintendo biggest IP, so therefore it’s okay!“

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still think :ultpiranha: is underappreciated. I know it isn't Waluigi or Geno, but you can't deny Sakurai the credit for making a mostly immobile, limbless enemy into a full-fledged fighter.

I think an unserious joke character now and then is healthy for Smash. Reminds us to keep an open mind, even to the seemingly stupid character suggestions.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm still convinced that the only reason people shut up about Google Theory despite a fairly similar push to Grinch Leak (albeit on a smaller scale), was solely because the big bait fan pick ended up getting in anyway.

we were lucky, lemme tell ya

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
IT: “I don’t care for this particular franchise, so it’s advertising!”

You literally just couterdicted yourself

“People tolerated Mario”
”Also :ultpiranha: :ultdoc: shouldn’t be here, BUT people tolerate Mario!! He’s Nintendo biggest IP, so therefore it’s okay!“
Because even without those two, who I've most people be pretty indifferent on whether they stick around or not, Mario still has the most characters in smash aside from Pokemon, and most people seemed pretty cool with Rosalina being here to represent Galaxy and came around to Bowser Jr. once they realized he was in the Clown Car and had the 7 Koopalings with him. Most people from what I see don't mind Mario reps in Smash.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
One week until the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake releases. I really hope it doesn't get spirited, I've felt hope in Grovyle for the first time and I'd hate for it to go away so soon.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm still convinced that the lack of backlash over Google Theory's debunking despite a fairly similar push to Grinch Leak (albeit on a smaller scale), was solely because the big bait fan pick ended up getting in anyway.

we were lucky, lemme tell ya
One was a theory made up in a Discord server dedicated solely to Smash speculation based on search engine algorithms, and the other was a fake leak with actual visual "evidence" that was widespread enough to get media attention and was made specifically to mess with people, they're not comparable in the slightest. Beyond the difference in circumstances and believability the Grinch leak also featured other popular picks like Isaac, Geno and Shadow, so the negative reaction wasn't just because of the big bad Banjo fanbase.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So uhhh

that... Junko leak...

Uh...

sweats

UHHHHHHH

OH GOD.

SO MUCH FOR NINTENDO GOING ON “LOCKDOWN”.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
One week until the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake releases. I really hope it doesn't get spirited, I've felt hope in Grovyle for the first time and I'd hate for it to go away so soon.
Grovyle would honestly be second on my list of wanted Pokemon... I already got the first.

For real tho, Pokemon has WAY too many spin-offs for them all to go completely ignored.

So uhhh

that... Junko leak...
Uh...
sweats
UHHHHHHH

OH GOD.

Nice Photoshops, bud.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So uhhh

that... Junko leak...

Uh...

sweats

UHHHHHHH

OH GOD.

No Gameplay Footage, no buy. Render also looks pretty sketchy honestly, specifically the face. No one would be able to take footage of what is presumably a presentation like this and not get a single in-game screenshot, come on.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So uhhh

that... Junko leak...

Uh...

sweats

UHHHHHHH

OH GOD.

Eh, that render doesn't feel very Smashy to me. Looks more like 2D art trying to imitate a 3D render.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So uhhh

that... Junko leak...

Uh...

sweats

UHHHHHHH

OH GOD.

I'm not familiar with Dangan Ronpa, but the artwork looks off (especially the eyes), and it seems easy enough to fake the list of music and the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X (insert series here)" screens. Even the spirit board would be doable in Photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom