• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
One thing to keep in mind that the most likely characters not to come back are clones, had everyone not been here. Not bringing back low-effort fighters doesn't necessarily speed up development time for alternate content, unless you have certain clone ideas that didn't make it in.
I'd like a source as the only clones cut in Smash that weren't scrapped due to constraints was Pichu, the joke character

osby

Smash Obsessed
ahem

thoughts, anyone?
Probably a curveball.

I'm mostly just going off from Joker but I don't see Nintendo adding significantly more "big" characters than the first pass. That makes it more likely for any given reveal to be a pick that most people didn't predict, be it because of their lack of popularity among core fans or relatively low sales numbers.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Because we never learn.

And even if we do, there's always going to be someone new who brings it up again because they have an opiniontm and that opinion has to be correct, leading them to assert that opinion as fact despite multiple people debunking them. This stirs up both sides, thus leading to that topic being brought up again. And the cycle continues.

We're stuck like this for another two years.
Well, everyone wants the best for series that are represented. For some it's good as it is and for some, more could be done to improve it. It's.. really that simple.

D

Deleted member

anyway uh... let's change the topic

Do you think FPV2 will open with a BIG HEAVY HITTER like Crash or Master Chief, a fan fave pick , or a curveball?
Why not both? When you think about it, Master Chief is definitely a curve ball nobody could believe happen.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Bosses are one off things only fightable by only their respective characters. While I don't particularly care about Everyone is Here, the tradeoff being bosses most peopld stopped caring about in less than a week would be disappointing as hell.
It was just an example, but yeah, that's the same reasoning for why they removed character-specific stages in Break The Target (and Break the Target as a whole), and other modes, because what's the point of having variety in a game when you can have only fox, final destinations and no items because that's what people will play after the first week; just cut everything else.

That's why most of the final smashes are now cutscenes with no interaction, and trophies are replaced by png with no descriptions (but they are more, and occasionally added through mobile game-like limited time events), and more.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, everyone wants the best for series that are represented. For some it's good as it is and for some, more could be done to improve it. It's.. really that simple.
You don't improve something by getting rid of something else. If all Pokemon and Mario content got cut in the next patch then it wouldn't make CastleVania's representation better

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd like a source as the only clones cut in Smash that weren't scrapped due to constraints was Pichu, the joke character
I mean, Brawl itself shows that more similar characters tend to have lower priority. Toon Link, Wolf, and Jigglypuff (who is easy to make and partially built off Kirby) were added in late and almost didn't make it, which is why they weren't integrated into Subspace, while Roy and Doc were victims of time constraints. Mewtwo was the outlier there, likely due to Sonic.

Smash 4 then had Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doc only be upgraded to playable late in development as per Sakurai, and Alph would have been upgraded too if they had more time. Lucas was cut before being readded as DLC. Wolf was cut entirely.

Being similar to another character doesn't automatically mean characters get put on a chopping block, but it can often lead to them being lower priority, and as such, victims of time constraints.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603

Do you think FPV2 will open with a BIG HEAVY HITTER like Crash or Master Chief, a fan fave pick , or a curveball?
Let's face it, every Fighter they're going to reveal will change the face of the Pass. People try to guess who's coming next based on what came before but it never works.

You don't improve something by getting rid of something else. If all Pokemon and Mario content got cut in the next patch then it wouldn't make CastleVania's representation better
Then you'd change Castlevania instead. I just don't think it's productive to keep something around just because it was there before and people are attached to it. If it's weighing down the game somehow, a developer shouldn't be afraid to go in and cut it out, even if they themselves have an attachment to it. Development's about hard decisions, and sometimes they need to be made.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It was just an example, but yeah, that's the same reasoning for why they removed character-specific stages in Break The Target (and Break the Target as a whole), and other modes, because what's the point of having variety in a game when you can have only fox, final destinations and no items because that's what people will play after the first week; just cut everything else.

That's why most of the final smashes are now cutscenes with no interaction, and trophies are replaced by png with no descriptions (but they are more, and occasionally added through mobile game-like limited time events), and more.
Most final smashes are now cinematic because it improves the pacing while giving a lot more impact, making the final smashes more satisfying to land lmao. Not to mention having a transformation final smash on a stage where one could easily camp you out to the point the transformation ended is literally one of the worst feelings in Smash alongside buffering an air dodge and SDing at 0%

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I think a bigger reason for those is because they're both aspects of the game which ostensibly need to grow each time, and doing that is untenable after a certain point.

It's not like HRC or Multi-Man Smash, which doesn't need to grow, it just needs to return. Individual Target Tests and Trophies are things that increase with each game, and at a certain point, because I agree they're not the main draw, the costs outweigh the benefits. But if those were both static (and didn't kind of suck, like the last iterations of Target Tests) - they'd probably be back, given those were two of the more popular extraneous features.

I think that's a big reason All-Star didn't return (in its traditional capacity) - and that was a pretty well-regarded mode, all things considered.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most final smashes are now cinematic because it improves the pacing while giving a lot more impact, making the final smashes more satisfying to land lmao. Not to mention having a transformation final smash on a stage where one could easily camp you out to the point the transformation ended is literally one of the worst feelings in Smash alongside buffering an air dodge and SDing at 0%
Or worse. Having your opponent summon landmaster on Battlefield and losing two stocks.

D

Deleted member

Also can we please stop pretending people would have cared about Break the Targets returning for more than 3 weeks?
Even if Break the Targets return, I'm not doing them all again unless they unlock Mr. Game & Watch.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

is gonna be dante

Actually though this is my current Fighters Pass idea (not ordered):
  1. Dante
  2. Heihachi
  3. Gran/Djeeta
  4. Crash
  5. Ryu Hayabusa
  6. Sora
No company double dipping between DLC. Gran/Djeeta are the "Nintendo" pick considering Nintendo's significant stake in Cygames, and have a class change moveset because I'm hard calling that Sakurai is going to revisit that concept before he's done.

I know I've said no on Heihachi in the past, but I feel we're going to get another Fighting Game rep, and Namco is real overdue for a character at this point.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
You know I find it funny on how some people are still fixating on the biggest franchises not in Smash as being the most likely to get a playable character despite Resident Evil who the majority agreed was going to get a character, got spirited away.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Probably a curveball.

I'm mostly just going off from Joker but I don't see Nintendo adding significantly more "big" characters than the first pass. That makes it more likely for any given reveal to be a pick that most people didn't predict, be it because of their lack of popularity among core fans or relatively low sales numbers.
Given the lifespan of FPv2 will cover 2 E3's, we'll probably get our 'big' characters announced there -- most likely one at each, assuming we get the same amount of 'big' characters as the first pass.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think a bigger reason for those is because they're both aspects of the game which ostensibly need to grow each time, and doing that is untenable after a certain point.

It's not like HRC or Multi-Man Smash, which doesn't need to grow, it just needs to return. Individual Target Tests and Trophies are things that increase with each game, and at a certain point, because I agree they're not the main draw, the costs outweigh the benefits. But if those were both static (and didn't kind of suck, like the last iterations of Target Tests) - they'd probably be back, given those were two of the more popular extraneous features.

I think that's a big reason All-Star didn't return (in its traditional capacity) - and that was a pretty well-regarded mode, all things considered.
I agree with your post, though I'm not happy of that. That's why I'd rather have less character and all those modes and content back, because I think that as the number of playable characters rises, Smash is losing its charm bit by bit. Especially if the reason is "characters sell more".

I don't expect anyone to agree with me anyway, I just wanted to point out why I'm disappointed with the current state of the Smash franchise.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's the idea that "If that character wasn't in, mine would be instead".
I will never forgive that stupid tiger for taking Decidueye's spot!

ahem

thoughts, anyone?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
I don't...

Just kidding. We could get Crash Bandicoot or another big character. Not too confident in Master Chief's chances.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

I guess a curveball opening would be the most likely.
Depends when FP6 comes.

March/April could be anyone though more around the lines of someone like 2B, Dante, Heihachi, Travis Touchdown, etc. Someone really wanted but not heavily requested.

E3 I feel will be an heavy hitter such as Crash, Master Chief or Steve.
I feel this is the best marketing choice for Nintendo when it comes to smash dlc.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know I find it funny on how some people are still fixating on the biggest franchises not in Smash as being the most likely to get a playable character despite Resident Evil who the majority agreed was going to get a character, got spirited away.
I agree being outright convinced often ends poorly, but for every resident evil there's also a dragon quest

for every crash bandicoot there's a travis touchdown

seems mostly balanced to me

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Well, if someone gets a Spirit Event during the DLC period, they'll be out of consideration too, won't they?

D

Deleted member

because I think that as the number of playable characters rises, Smash is losing its charm bit by bit.
You're entitled to your vision on what Smash is, but I could have sworn the biggest appeal was the crossover aspect and how each roster is able to expand in size. While single-player modes add a ton of potential distractions, none of that compares to the euphoria of playing with my friends and family and laughing at the chaos of items and stage hazards ruining our days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I agree with your post, though I'm not happy of that. That's why I'd rather have less character and all those modes and content back, because I think that as the number of playable characters rises, Smash is losing its charm bit by bit. Especially if the reason is "characters sell more".

I don't expect anyone to agree with me anyway, I just wanted to point out why I'm disappointed with the current state of the Smash franchise.
Bro literally how can you be disappointed in "Your strongest attack looks cool as ****" being a main focus for Ultimate, I genuinely want to know, would you have been happier if Terry just did some jazz hands for 40 seconds while random explosions appeared on screen instead of one of the coolest final smashes in the game?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I think it's going to be far more like Joker. So a character like Travis make more sense as an opener.

Not even the first pass had the typical heavy hitters. If the first pass didn't there's absolutely no reason to believe the 2nd pass will.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I expect Sakurai probably agrees with you. I would guess that he cares a lot about those alternate modes, but the draw for most people is just the main Smash mode and the content therein - characters, stages, music, mechanics and items (yes, items). So that's why there is an ever-increasing focus on those aspects.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All I predict for V2 is Saber due to me needing a darkhorse pick
Nah, it's going to be Archer and the amount of swords in Unlimited Blade Works will make all sword haters combust internally with salt.

SKX31

Smash Master
Because we never learn.

And even if we do, there's always going to be someone new who brings it up again because they have an opiniontm and that opinion has to be correct, leading them to assert that opinion as fact despite multiple people debunking them. This stirs up both sides, thus leading to that topic being brought up again. And the cycle continues.

We're stuck like this for another two years.
if were stuck in this loop then we gotta add new content (like some sort of speculation DLC). such as why there are only 1 and a half fire user in FE (dunno if :ultrobin: counts as a full or half fire user) and none of the FE characters spam emblems everywhere with their attacks. like seriously, all mario characters are connected to :ultmario: and all zelda characters connected to a legend. obviously all pokemon... wait, :ultpokemontrainer:'s not a pokemon. at least the trainers are connected to pokemon.

i demand brand loyalty damnit.

:4pacman: obviously.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
if were stuck in this loop then we gotta add new content (like some sort of speculation DLC). such as why there are only 1 and a half fire user in FE (dunno if :ultrobin: counts as a full or half fire user) and none of the FE characters spam emblems everywhere with their attacks. like seriously, all mario characters are connected to :ultmario: and all zelda characters connected to a legend. obviously all pokemon... wait, :ultpokemontrainer:'s not a pokemon. at least the trainers are connected to pokemon.

i demand brand loyalty damnit.

:4pacman: obviously.
The worst part about this post is that Byleth has the Fire Emblem as a gameplay mechanic in combat with the Crest of Flames and their canon last name being Eisner which can be traced to iron, with iron being used for Fire Emblem's codename meaning we literally have a ****ING CHARACTER CALLED BYLETH FIRE EMBLEM WHO DOESN'T USE THE FIRE EMBLEM IN SMASH HOLY **** WE WERE SO CLOSE TO HAVING THE FIRE EMBLEM ITSELF IN SMASH

And no, Corrin's Yato doesn't count, Fates is a hoax created by Smashing Raven

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
is gonna be dante

Actually though this is my current Fighters Pass idea (not ordered):
  1. Dante
  2. Heihachi
  3. Gran/Djeeta
  4. Crash
  5. Ryu Hayabusa
  6. Sora
No company double dipping between DLC. Gran/Djeeta are the "Nintendo" pick considering Nintendo's significant stake in Cygames, and have a class change moveset because I'm hard calling that Sakurai is going to revisit that concept before he's done.

I know I've said no on Heihachi in the past, but I feel we're going to get another Fighting Game rep, and Namco is real overdue for a character at this point.
Speaking about Dante, Hideki Kamiya at PAX East mentioned that he wants to see Dante vs Bayonetta, while all the discussion about Dante in Smash is going on.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Speaking about Dante, Hideki Kamiya at PAX East mentioned that he wants to see Dante vs Bayonetta, while all the discussion about Dante in Smash is going on.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
He's always wanted to see that, so much so he regrets veto-ing Bayonetta out of Project X Zone 2 because he admits he was petty on wanting to make their first crossover. Now he's too late due to the SMT gacha

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Impa has a lot of incarnations but they're all (mostly) vastly different from each other and people like Ghirahim, Revali, Vaati etc. are for the most part one-offs.
There's Old Impa and there's Young Impa. Fairly obvious they would choose Young Impa, like how they chose human Ganondorf over Blue Pig Ganon. There may be several incarnations Young Impa, but A) they're not that different to the point of being unrecognizable, and B) it wouldn't be that hard to just pick one because of the fact that Ultimate's Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are all from different games and were chosen from different incarnations that are no more different than the Young Impa incarnations we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom