• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I don't actually think this sounds that bad. so:
Fan Favorite that isn't Geno (Crash or Sora)
Mobile character probably from Cygames or Dragalia lost
Pokemon character (Has a lot of options)
Promotional Character (Maybe Rex/Pyra or Something of that sort)
2 Third party characters (lots of great choices)
This pass actually sounds fine, would definetly have high highs and low lows though.
Well it's definitely not going to be Rex since he's a Mii Costume and Nintendo will think that's good enough, so no need to make him playable.
As for the Pokemon rep it's going to be Cinderace. They put in the Pokemon that going to have a lot of presence in the anime. X&Y was Greninja (mostly because Sakurai chose him), Sun&Moon was Incineroar, and currently the only starter Pokemon being shown in the new anime is Scorbunny. So it's going to be Cinderace by default.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
2) With Nintendo choosing the characters (which we knew), this is more of the same. We know Nintendo also picked the first pass. Based on that, I still do not believe that there's going to be this dynamic shift where we get more than 1 (maybe 2) 3rd parties, and in a position where those Nintendo characters are something other than advertisement picks similar to Corrin or Byleth (Though I do not believe we'd get another Fire Emblem character).
Just for clarity, are you saying there likely won't be more than 1 or 2 3rd Parties in this pass? Because there were definitely more than 1 or 2 3rd Parties in the First Pass.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Sure sure. As long as you view it as your opinion and nothing more. I’m not going to contest with someone else’s opinion but if they pass it off as fact someone would probably need to intervene
It's my speculation. I feel this is the most likely outcome. I'm glad to be wrong, but currently with what's going on I feel super confident in it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why does everyone think Pokemon if they also think Spirits deconfirm? :nifty: Is hypocrisy the new black?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I still just think it'd be really odd to do a Pokemon Sword/Shield event with the knowledge that we'd be adding in a playable rep for it later. It's like, why not just hold back and save it until then?

To me, it'd be like if before Byleth was announced, they did with a spirit event for 3H, featuring Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude. Even if Byleth wasn't included in that batch and ergo not necessarily deconfirmed, why wouldn't they just hold those other spirits off until then?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just for clarity, are you saying there likely won't be more than 1 or 2 3rd Parties in this pass? Because there were definitely more than 1 or 2 3rd Parties in the First Pass.
Thank you for that! Definitely a nasty typo there.

For being non-specific, you're reasonably specific, you know that?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Well it's definitely not going to be Rex since he's a Mii Costume and Nintendo will think that's good enough, so no need to make him playable.
As for the Pokemon rep it's going to be Cinderace. They put in the Pokemon that going to have a lot of presence in the anime. X&Y was Greninja (mostly because Sakurai chose him), Sun&Moon was Incineroar, and currently the only starter Pokemon being shown in the new anime is Scorbunny. So it's going to be Cinderace by default.
I spoke too soon. You should really stop saying stuff like ‘it isn’t going to be rex’ or ‘its cinderace by default’. Seriously pass off your opinion as nothing more than an opinion not as fact. It makes you look like you view yourself higher than you should and doesn’t look good in general. Your opinion isn’t fact it’s the equivalent of mine and anyone else’s.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Trugding my way thorugh the Smash wishlist tierlist, there's an insane amount of Literal Who's here, Jesus

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Decidueye was heavily considered and barely had any presence at all in the anime. Scorbunny appearing doesn't confirm that the Pokemon Company has their eye on Cinderace either, as Scorbunny could be like Piplup and we never see him evolve so he can be a foil to Pikachu.

Faso115

Smash Lord
A new director would allow stuff from newer Kirby games be playable. Just saying.

That's like, my only gripe with Sakurai.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So now that were in the Endgame now. What are everyone's 6 predictions again? Mine are

76: Crash Bandicoot
77: Travis Touchdown
78: Ring Fit Adventurer
79: Heihachi
80: 2B
81: Phoenix Wright
I'm doing this a bit different:
1. Capcom character
2. Namco/Western character
3. Nintendo character
4. Waluigi/Geno
5. Travis Touchdown
6. Unexpected 3rd party character that most people didn't expect

Would SNK return tho?
I'm pretty sure SNK will return if all the content we got with Terry serves as a hint.
Usually I don't like to talk about this but I think SNK, Sega and at least 1 Capcom character will return in the next Smash, unless maybe they decide to do a strong reboot with the next one.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A new director would allow stuff from newer Kirby games be playable. Just saying.
"this director has 15 years of experience in fighting game and party game development"

"ok yeah but this one made kirby star allies and he'll add bandana waddle dee"

no offense bro that sounds selfish at the press conference

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Why does everyone think Pokemon if they also think Spirits deconfirm? :nifty: Is hypocrisy the new black?
The Pokémon Spirit event wasn’t very fleshed out. There’s still plenty of SwSh material to work with Spirit wise. Pokémon is one of Nintendo’s most popular franchises, and it has upcoming DLC that a fighter could be used to promote.

That’s just what I think/ how it could work.

However, I am not fully convinced that Spirits deconfirm anything.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
>15-20 years of experience
>Brings everyone back
>Adds Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo.

But Hat Goomba isn’t playable! Pack it up boys, we need a new director!!!! :DDDD

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Pokémon Spirit event wasn’t very fleshed out. There’s still plenty of SwSh material to work with Spirit wise. Pokémon is one of Nintendo’s most popular franchises, and it has upcoming DLC that a fighter could be used to promote.
Yeah, it's a game promotion for a game that was just then coming out, they aren't gonna spoil the entire game to celebrate the release of the game. That seems like a shallow excuse to think it's likely. Either spirits deconfirm or they don't, you can't flip-flop when it does and doesn't apply.

However, I am not fully convinced that Spirits deconfirm anything.
Reminder that Porky is still very viable then.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Okay, so here's some of my initial thoughts on this:

- Sakurai specifically mentioning that Nintendo chose the characters completely is definitely interesting. It confirms in my mind that we most likely are gonna get at least one promotional rep. Pokemon is the seemingly most likely candidate but the Spirit Board makes it weird. Another choice being slept on IMO is the possibility of Waluigi, but that hinges on when this DLC was decided on and if Nintendo wants Sakurai to actually make AT upgrades a thing or not. Regardless, as a Waluigi supporter, this is probably the best chances he's had in a while, so we'll see if they actually do it or not. As Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones said I do think some choices are gonna be hurt by this news, but again it's hard to say for sure with a translation this rough and early on.

- There not going to be any more DLC after this volume is unsurprising to me. It was honestly a miracle we got another one, and with an extra character even! I would definitely caution people to not expect things besides Fighter Packs to be added, though: Sakurai already confirmed no more new modes would be coming after...I want to say it was Tournament mode being added last year? (Which means no Boss Rush or Break the Targets. :( ).

- And lastly, no new Smash game in the works right now is again, an unsurprising statement. Sakurai always says this when a Smash is entering it's final stages, as he makes every Smash game as if it were his last one. However, I wouldn't be shocked if this truly was his last one.

That's all I got for now. We'll see if better translations reveal any more, but as it stands, this is definitely setting the stage for me personally on what to expect and who I feel is likely or not.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't THINK there will be a Gen 8 choice this time around. At least that's my gut right now. It could happen I guess but I don't see it.

I do think a Zelda character might finally shine through this time if BotW2 releases anytime between now and December 2021.

If they want to push Prime 4 and that rumored MercurySteam Metroid game then we might get a Metroid character like Sylux.

And IF Nintendo is REALLY listening a Mario character might be likely if we're going for fan favorites like Geno or Waluigi

Any other 1st Party franchise seems extremely unlikely to say the least, especially Fire Emblem, unless it IS a straight shill pick from a new Nintendo franchise that hasn't even been shown yet.

I think, like Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones said, we're getting a Max of 2 1st Party characters. The rest will likely be 3rd. The only way I can see that changing is if they want to upgrade more Assist Trophies besides the obvious Waluigi, which would mean Krystal, Isaac, and Lyn could be sent into the fray.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Okay, so here's some of my initial thoughts on this:

- Sakurai specifically mentioning that Nintendo chose the characters completely is definitely interesting. It confirms in my mind that we most likely are gonna get at least one promotional rep. Pokemon is the seemingly most likely candidate but the Spirit Board makes it weird. Another choice being slept on IMO is the possibility of Waluigi, but that hinges on when this DLC was decided on and if Nintendo wants Sakurai to actually make AT upgrades a thing or not. Regardless, as a Waluigi supporter, this is probably the best chances he's had in a while, so we'll see if they actually do it or not. As Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones said I do think some choices are gonna be hurt by this news, but again it's hard to say for sure with a translation this rough and early on.

- There not going to be any more DLC after this volume is unsurprising to me. It was honestly a miracle we got another one, and with an extra character even! I would definitely caution people to not expect things besides Fighter Packs to be added, though: Sakurai already confirmed no more new modes would be coming after...I want to say it was Tournament mode being added last year? (Which means no Boss Rush or Break the Targets. :( ).

- And lastly, no new Smash game in the works right now is again, an unsurprising statement. Sakurai always says this when a Smash is entering it's final stages, as he makes every Smash game as if it were his last one. However, I wouldn't be shocked if this truly was his last one.

That's all I got for now. We'll see if better translations reveal any more, but as it stands, this is definitely setting the stage for me personally on what to expect and who I feel is likely or not.
I feel Sylux is being slept on as a promotional pick. a BOTW2 character could also be a contender

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I spoke too soon. You should really stop saying stuff like ‘it isn’t going to be rex’ or ‘its cinderace by default’. Seriously pass off your opinion as nothing more than an opinion not as fact. It makes you look like you view yourself higher than you should and doesn’t look good in general. Your opinion isn’t fact it’s the equivalent of mine and anyone else’s.
It's speculation. Do I have to start everything with "I think" or "My guess based off of research" anytime I have to say a bloody think on this website? Any time someone says anything online you should take it as just their opinion. I feel confident on my take based off of what happen in the past and current patterns, so sorry that I didn't say "I believe Rex ain't happen" and "I believe that Cinderace is the most likely rep based off of the anime"

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If history shows us anything is that it will likely come down to who Nintendo/Pokemon Company want to market and promote this generation.

If I had to make a guess it's gonna come down to Rillaboom or Inteleon, Cinderace I think is less likelier than the other 2 (Not Impossible) Only because one thing we do know is that Ash's traveling companion's main Pokemon is Scorbunny and history shows us that Ash's main starter during the generation at the time is what normally takes priority based on past promoted Pokemon in Charizard/Greninja/Incineroar who made into Super Smash Bros over the years.

Urshifu makes a lot of sense too as it's release lines up nicely with the 2nd fighter pass and Pokemon Sword & Shield DLC Expansion releases this Summer and Fall, Plus he's a Fighting Type Pokemon based on Kung Fu/Martial Arts Style combat which should transitioned nicely into Smash.

Last edited:

MooMew64

I feel Sylux is being slept on as a promotional pick. a BOTW2 character could also be a contender
Yeah I'm with you and NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy here as well on these two. It mostly comes down to timing, methinks; if a Metroid project is coming out in between now and end of next year, Sylux could very well have a shot if he plays a role in said new game. BotW2 gets tricky, though, as it's hard to imagine who they'd pick unless Sakurai goes back on his "BotW Zelda is a scholar" take.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's a game promotion for a game that was just then coming out, they aren't gonna spoil the entire game to celebrate the release of the game. That seems like a shallow excuse to think it's likely. Either spirits deconfirm or they don't, you can't flip-flop when it does and doesn't apply.

Reminder that Porky is still very viable then.
Well, I just said I’m not convinced that Spirits deconfirm anything. I know they weren’t going spoil the game, but in that case, they could’ve used Pokémon that had already been revealed. Wooloo, Alcremie, Drednaw, etc. It seems you’ve made up your mind about a new Pokémon potential making it in though.

I made a post a little while back that detailed how it could work. Take a look if you like.

I’m just saying it’s possible. They only used Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble, Corviknight, Morpeko, Zacian and Zamazenta. Now that the game is out, there’s nothing to spoil, and it’s got upcoming DLC that could be used as cross promotion.

Don’t count it out just yet.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's speculation. Do I have to start everything with "I think" or "My guess based off of research" anytime I have to say a bloody think on this website? Any time someone says anything online you should take it as just their opinion. I feel confident on my take based off of what happen in the past and current patterns, so sorry that I didn't say "I believe Rex ain't happen" and "I believe that Cinderace is the most likely rep based off of the anime"
It doesn’t help when, previously, you’ve said this kind of stuff to people who didn’t ask/like in a case with me, weren’t even speculating, as if they should just accept their favorite characters won’t happen, and ignore people’s points or say stuff like “don’t come to me when I’ve told you so” when no one agrees with your incredible pessimism.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
as it's hard to imagine who they'd pick unless Sakurai goes back on his "BotW Zelda is a scholar" take.
>3 links
>3 zeldas
>captain falcon

Would it kill for some ****ing variety man? There are more characters in the series that aren't those three. Personally, I'd go for Monk Maz Koshia.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
People have been debating Sylux for years now at this point man, we don't even know if Retro is gonna keep him as the antagonist anymore.
I mean, it's Retro who put Sylux in the secret ending in Metroid Prime Corruption. I don't think Retro would do that if they didn't have any ideas involving Sylux.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, it's Retro who put Sylux in the secret ending in Metroid Prime Corruption. I don't think Retro would do that if they didn't have any ideas involving Sylux.
They had ideas 10 years ago and I think those people have a high chance to have left the company for greater pastures.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As a Metroid fan, I would rather to not have Sylux as DLC. I'm fine with people who wants him! But I don't know, I sort of feel that he would be adding another Metroid rep for the sake of it. At least now. Maybe when Prime 4 releases he will have a major role in the game and he will end being a very cool antagonist, but at this moment I don't find the idea of Sylux very exciting.
Maybe it doesn't help that I find his design to be very uninspired. I hope for a better redesign if he's in Prime 4.

MooMew64

>3 links
>3 zeldas
>captain falcon

Would it kill for some ****ing variety man? There are more characters in the series that aren't those three. Personally, I'd go for Monk Maz Koshia.
Oh no I'm definitely with you on wanting someone who isn't the Triforce Trio, but anytime the side characters come up they get AT'd or are just straight up not in the game and it's weird. Zelda's Smash content when it comes to the roster is actually really weird: Like, stages and music selection are great, but the roster being padded with three links and Ganondorf being a Falcon clone in the first place is just bizarre and should be corrected IMO.

Basically what I'm saying is add Tingle, Sakurai.

Ricksaw

Smash Cadet
So guys have you seen how there is not a single adult midna sticker in the game? And now nintendo is picking the character, and tloz have not had a single new rep since like 10 years? Maybe she has a shot.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I mean you literally said here that everything you were saying wasn't fanrules/opinions and was indeed a fact.

Spirits added in later aren't becoming playable.
Assist Trophies are never getting upgraded because the character is represented in the game and that's good for Nintendo & Sakurai.
And they're not going to upgrade miscellaneous Pokemons from prior gens into being playable. Only current Pokemon that's either a starter like Greninja or Incineroar, a legendary like Mewtwo, or a pseudo-legendary like Lucario are the only viable Pokemons that will ever be playable.
These are not fan rules, it's a fact and logical choices based off of the mentality that Sakurai & Nintendo have when deciding characters.
I won't question your intentions, but just don't act surprised when people accuse you of acting all high and mighty when you word things like that.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, I just said I’m not convinced that Spirits deconfirm anything. I know they weren’t going spoil the game, but in that case, they could’ve used Pokémon that had already been revealed. Wooloo, Alcremie, Drednaw, etc. It seems you’ve made up your mind about a new Pokémon potential making it in though.

I made a post a little while back that detailed how it could work. Take a look if you like.

I’m just saying it’s possible. They only used Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble, Corviknight, Morpeko, Zacian and Zamazenta. Now that the game is out, there’s nothing to spoil, and it’s got upcoming DLC that could be used as cross promotion.

Don’t count it out just yet.
If anything, the fact that they managed to fit seven Pokémon in four spirits is, in my eyes, evidence that they wanted to add as much as they could from Sword and Shield. Four spirits seems to be the standard for spirit events (with, if I remember correctly, Tetris being the only one with five since one piece would've been awkwardly left out), so the fact that they didn't just do the bare minimum shows they were adding as much as they could.

Starter trio. Box Legendary duo. Regional Pikaclone. And finally, Corviknight, who got tons of promotion and is pretty much a symbol of Galar considering the Corviknight Taxis. Wooloo's the only one I would say is a glaring omission, but you can't win 'em all.

But for real. Even if you think spirits don't disconfirm, Sword and Shield crammed as much as they could into their spirit event. If they knew a Galarmon was coming to the game, why would they do MORE than the bare minimum?

I just really think Galar will end up like Hoenn and Unova at the end of the day.

D

Deleted member

ngl I think it’s kinda cynical to think that the only viable first party picks are those that promote newer releases and give next to no consideration to older, pre-existing characters that are important, iconic and beloved in there home series, regardless if they’re a Spirit/Assist or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom