• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think it's kind of hilarious how people are already bargaining for more characters because of this news
The Smash Community in a nutshell probably making the excuse of "W-Well Sakurai has lied before! He can do it again! Remember how he said he'd never make Ridley playable! Hurr!".

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think it's kind of hilarious how people are already bargaining for more characters because of this news
Bargaining how? Wiring Sakurai thousands of yen to make another one just cause?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
There's a lot to unpack here. I gotta collect my thoughts on this: Y'all can expect some takes from me on this review later today. I don't wanna write a big 'ol post on my tablet so I'm gonna wait until I can get to my PC, lol.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
The Smash speculation tradition; everything is true (or at least, possible) until proven false.

"Sakurai didn't say no more PERIOD he said no more PLANNED. That means more DLC is coming".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Sakurai didn't say no more PERIOD he said no more PLANNED. That means more DLC is coming".
I believed in a 2nd fighter's pass because of no statement being made for it

now the man flat out said it, **** man we're already nearing 100 if we miss it by 10 then who cares

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I know it'll never happen, as the rights for Ultimate are spread out among so many different companies renegotiating for another releases is almost impossible, I hope we get "Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Super Arcade Deluxe FESGR Definitive Game of the Year Edition Director's Cut". It doesn't have to be anything big or even add new content, just a rerelease of the base game with all the DLC. By the time's alls said and done, getting all the DLC characters will cost just as much as Ultimate itself. As such, I think a budget option for latecomers who want the full Smash experience may not be a bad thing.

Regarding this pass' recency pick, I still think it'll be a Gen 8 Pokemon until we see what Nintendo's big offerings are for the year. I'm not really expecting a BotW 2 character, unless they really do something with Zelda herself that makes Sakurai change his "She's a scholar, not a fighter" stance.

Alternatively, we live in the base timeline and we get Sigurd to celebrate a Genealogy Remake.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I will say this again but given how Ultimate just can't be topped its just better to continue porting it onto future consoles with continuous updated features (Additional characters, stages, and such).

MooMew64

I will say this again but given how Ultimate just can't be topped its just better to continue porting it onto future consoles with continuous updated features (Additional characters, stages, and such).
While ideal, it isn't really realistic IMO, as there is no guarantee that they can get the rights for everything again.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A BotW 2 character getting in Smash is more of a leap of faith than anything right now. Even if Nintendo is open to the idea, do we have any notable characters outside Link and Zelda? Is there someone who stands out more than any of the Champions did in the first game?

It's possible, but I wouldn't get too invested in this until we learn more about who and what's gonna be in the game.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A BotW 2 character getting in Smash is more of a leap of faith than anything right now. Even if Nintendo is open to the idea, do we have any notable characters outside Link and Zelda? Is there someone who stands out more than any of the Champions did in the first game?

It's possible, but I wouldn't get too invested in this until we learn more about who and what's gonna be in the game.
Chances are they'll probably add another Fire Emblem rep before they decide on another TLoZ rep.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
While ideal, it isn't really realistic, as there is no guarantee that they can get the rights for everything again.
As far as playable characters go I think they could negotiate most of the third parties easily enough, Sega, Capcom and Konami seem really easy to work with.

But we all know Cloud and Hero are out.

MooMew64

As far as playable characters go I think they could negotiate most of the third parties easily enough, Sega, Capcom and Konami seem really easy to work with.

And Microsoft given the great relationship.
I certainly hope so, but there is definitely the fact that the next installment won't be happening anytime soon. The Switch is poised for a long lifespan, and a lot could change in the 5+ years it'll more than likely take for the next Smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hoo boy!

So, this is exciting. Last chance, huh? Well, at least we know we have an ending. I hope this doesn't lead to a lot of people only expecting heavy hitters or being upset when their favorites don't make it, but at the same time I understand.

Obviously I'm going to be hoping for Travis Touchdown most of all. With this new news, it really does feel like this is the ideal time for him. Please Sakurai I've wanted him since Brawl I know I got Simon, Joker, and Terry but do me one more favor...just one.

Nintendo picking the pass sounds about right as usual. I'm thinking we'll see more strengthening bonds with companies, one newer Nintendo pick, a "fan favorite", and...well, who knows?

It's been a fun ride.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I certainly hope so, but there is definitely the fact that the next installment won't be happening anytime soon. The Switch is poised for a long lifespan, and a lot could change in the 5+ years it'll more than likely take for the next Smash.
If one thing is guaranteed it's that Joker ain't coming back.

By the time the next Smash happens P5 will be incredibly outdated and if Persona as a series comes back into Smash it'll probably be with the P6 protagonist

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Why are we talking about cuts. lol. Never change, Smash fandom.

By the time the next Smash happens P5 will be incredibly outdated and if Persona as a series comes back into Smash it'll probably be with the P6 protagonist
I mean, not really, he's an iconic character from one of the series' most popular games, and it has a sequel coming out. I don't think the world's just gonna forget about Joker.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

I dunno about that. Sega and Nintendo will still have a good connection and Atlus is starting to seep into the Switch a lot plus P5 is getting a re-release and a sequel. That and Joker has been making guest appearances left and right. I don't think Joker is going anywhere.

When it comes to 3rd parties that won't make it, Cloud is the likeliest bet. I think Hero with the alternate costumes will not come back, but I think one specific Hero might come back. Square Enix is just that notoriously difficult to work with because of much of a cluster**** their licensing is.

MooMew64

Nah Joker's fine. Atlus loves milking current games, yes, but they aren't strangers to keeping the old ones relevant as well with stuff like Persona Q, Arena, and the Dancing games. Heck, Joker's Smash content came with P3 and 4 content with music, stage references, and even Mii costumes.

Even if Persona 6 happens by then (and that's a big if given it's Atlus), Joker will still be here. P5 will still be recognizable and popular just like 3 and 4 still are, so I don't see the need to change anything.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
So now that were in the Endgame now. What are everyone's 6 predictions again? Mine are

76: Crash Bandicoot
77: Travis Touchdown
78: Ring Fit Adventurer
79: Heihachi
80: 2B
81: Phoenix Wright
76. Dante
77. Crash Bandicoot
78. Heihachi
79. 2B or Ryu Hayabusa
80. Master Chief
81. Sol Badguy

This is easily subject to change depending on the next year or so.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Like how Ike was replaced by Chrom? Or how Lucario got outdated and we get Zoroark instead?

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Nintendo hates us timeline:
Another FE character
I honestly don't see it as that big of a deal if we do get another one. If it happens, it's most likely going to promote a newer title after Three Houses, so we'll probably see a fresh, post-2019 face make it to the roster, which would be pretty neat to see. Not only that, you know Sakurai will try his darndest to make this proverbial new FE char stand out from the other FE swordies mechanically, like he did with Byleth, as well as Robin and Corrin. I don't exactly think we're getting a Marth or Lucina repeat in this scenario, so you can likely expect a fully-unique fighter that brings something new and worthwhile to the table if FE ever does show up again.

MooMew64

Why are we talking about cuts. lol. Never change, Smash fandom..
I don't like the idea of cuts but there's definitely a chance it could happen next game.

TBH, though, I'll admit even my own "It isn't really realistic IMO to think "Everyone is here!" will happen again" mentality only comes from what Sakurai had to say about getting all the rights for Ultimate being a miracle and to not expect everyone to come together like this again. Honestly, it's hard to say how much I'll care about the next Smash game, because if there are cuts next time? It's gonna be hard to see it as anything other than a downgrade from Ultimate.

I really do wonder what the future of the series is, as anything short of somehow even bigger than Ultimate will be met with disdain. Ah well, it's more than likely like 5+ years away, so it doesn't really matter anyways. :p

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Like how Ike was replaced by Chrom? Or how Lucario got outdated and we get Zoroark instead?
I don't think either of those are fair comparisons.

Chrome's an easy echo and this series has always seemed apprehensive about removing Pokemon who aren't Pichu.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I mean the only reason its even an discussion is due to Pokemon's popularity unlike other franchises that got Spirit Boards or Events.
Not really no. It’s because Pokemon is never really ignored when it comes to Smash. Starting from the original Smash as long as there is a new gen out by the time a new smash releases, a new Pokemon always followed. Pikachu and Jigglypuff from Gen one in 64, Pichu in melee, Lucario in Brawl, Greninja in Smash 4 and Incineroar in Ultimate with Gen 3 and 5 not getting reps because there was more relevant generations out at the time which were favoured. Mewtwo and Pokemon Trainer don’t break said pattern because it’s just gen one pandering which is understandable. As this pattern is still ongoing and we have more DLC it’s pretty hard to contest with. It’s been active longer than the spirit pattern. It’s practically an inevitability going by the theory. It doesn’t make much sense to back spirits deconfirming but not a pattern which has been going on a lot longer. Some people just chuck the theory out, not because they genuinely don’t think a new Pokemon is happening but just because they don’t want one

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I can't speak too closely on Cloud, but I do think Hero stands has a fighting chance of coming back. Square Enix and Armor Studio undoubtedly like having Hero in the game, given how closely Yuji Horii worked with Sakurai on making Hero happen and the "Heroes can't fight other heroes" embargo being dropped for Smash.

Likewise, Akira Toriyama is the father of Dragon Ball, one of the most licensed products in the world. I can't see him being too stingy about Hero in Smash.

The issue here is Koichi Sugiyama and the rights to DQ's music. Now, Sugiyama is a pain to deal with, but he's also 88 years old. There's a realistic possibility that Sugiyama will pass away between now and the release of the next Smash game. I don't know who the rights would go to, given I'm not a Japanese attorney, but I'm assuming it'll either go to Square Enix or his estate. Hopefully, either one will be a little more lax with the rights.

Obviously, this isn't trying to celebrate Sugiyama's potential passing or make light of it, but I do feel it's ultimately the contingent factor for whether or not Hero returns and thusly is worth discussing.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think either of those are fair comparisons.

Chrome's an easy echo and this series has always seemed apprehensive about removing Pokemon who aren't Pichu.
Joker's a Persona character, meaning until Persona 6 comes out 2 console gens from now, Atlus will pretend Persona 5 is the only game that actually exists like with how hard Persona 4 got milked

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not really no. It’s because Pokemon is never really ignored when it comes to Smash. Starting from the original Smash as long as there is a new gen out by the time a new smash releases, a new Pokemon always followed. Pikachu and Jigglypuff from Gen one in 64, Pichu in melee, Lucario in Brawl, Greninja in Smash 4 and Incineroar in Ultimate with Gen 3 and 5 not getting reps because there was more relevant generations out at the time which were favoured. Mewtwo and Pokemon Trainer don’t break said pattern because it’s just gen one pandering which is understandable. As this pattern is still ongoing and we have more DLC it’s pretty hard to contest with. It’s been active longer than the spirit pattern.
But as you stated Ultimate already got its Pokemon which was:ultincineroar:

:4mewtwo:doesn't count for DLC in Sm4sh since he was an pass veteran.

D

Deleted member

I have nothing against Fire Emblem ( I’m mearly indifferent to the series ), but I do hope it doesn’t end up being the only "base game represented series" to get a DLC character. There are other already reped series that could use some more characters( like Kirby ).

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
But as you stated Ultimate already got its Pokemon which was:ultincineroar:

:4mewtwo:doesn't count for DLC in Sm4sh since he was an pass veteran.
No... that’s not my point. Every time we have a new gen we get a new Pokemon. As we have dlc vol 2 and we have a new gen we have the opportunity to have a new Pokemon which if based on said pattern seems likely and is hard to contest with. Sorry to any detractors but like I pointed out it doesn’t make sense to block your ears to this pattern yet believe one with a lot less backing like spirits deconfirming.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I honestly don't see it as that big of a deal if we do get another one. If it happens, it's most likely going to promote a newer title after Three Houses, so we'll probably see a fresh, post-2019 face make it to the roster, which would be pretty neat to see. Not only that, you know Sakurai will try his darndest to make this proverbial new FE char stand out from the other FE swordies mechanically, like he did with Byleth, as well as Robin and Corrin. I don't exactly think we're getting a Marth or Lucina repeat in this scenario, so you can likely expect a fully-unique fighter that brings something new and worthwhile to the table if FE ever does show up again.
Yeah, because everyone loves to see extremely new character that people barely had any time to experience or get to know about them in this series that's all about having establish favorite character crossing over with each other. Keep putting brand new faces who's games are barely out for $6 before anyone even knows if they'll like the character. It work great with Corrin and Byleth, so they're so well loved and the Fire Emblem fans totally enjoy Corrin's character. And we all know that Byleth stands at the top as one of Three Houses favorite character and totally not just a blank page devoid of emotion. :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom