• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Sounds like a lot went down since last night. Can you bring me up to speed
Not sure if this covers everything, but the main thing seems to be that translations of a Sakurai column came out - major points are that Nintendo is making the selections (which we knew) and, more interestingly, that there are no plans to have any more fighters after 11

also some drama about insiders going low, but kind of standard fare after Nintendo started cracking down on that kind of stuff

D

Deleted member

Sakurai confirmed that V2 is the last Smash Ultimate DLC in terms of playable characters, meaning Ultimate's lifespan will be at least 3 years
Melee had no DLC and has had a lifespan well beyond its year of release. DLC alone isn't what keeps a game alive; so long as play it and have tournaments and such, the game will live beyond a typical lifespan for a game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm

Sakurai didn’t say no Echoes would be in this pass... since it’s the last one and there’s still 4 more after the 6, think those 4 missing slots will be Echoes that will be automatically bundled with their “originals”?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think its cool going in blind. I love the surprises. I wish we had an idea when to expect though.

I feel though this will have a good selection, and i still think we will get 2 or 3 spirit promotions. Here are my 6, a mix of my wants and who i expect.

1. Shantae.

2. Geno.

3. Reimu.

4. Crash

5. Ryu hyabusa

6. KOSMOS or Rex and Pyra

I dont think it will be that order. If i had to guess i can see them ending with Geno as a big last character, and starting with Shantae, with crash shown at this years e3

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Playing DMC3 on switch now... my gosh I never would have thought that this would ever happen.

One of my favourite games ever and I can play it on the go. This just makes me want Dante and Vergil in Smash even more.

Please don't be a spirit event. I would be so devastated if that were to happen...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’ll assume Echoes will be bundled with their originals as per my last post so all remaining 10 WoL slots will be filled. I’ll edit my signature accordingly later.
1. Elma (Mecha-Fiora echo)
2. Neku Sakuraba
3. Octoling (NOT AN ECHO. Inkling Semi-clone)
4. Arle Nadja (Amitie echo)
5. Ryu Hayabusa (Momiji echo)
6. KOS-MOS (T-elos echo)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Melee had no DLC and has had a lifespan well beyond its year of release. DLC alone isn't what keeps a game alive; so long as play it and have tournaments and such, the game will live beyond a typical lifespan for a game.
I meant from Nintendo, though I feel Melee's dying due to the fact they're resorting to ban a character for not being hype enough

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Playing DMC3 on switch now... my gosh I never would have thought that this would ever happen.

One of my favourite games ever and I can play it on the go. This just makes me want Dante and Vergil in Smash even more.

Please don't be a spirit event. I would be so devastated if that were to happen...
It's already available? I thought it released on thursday.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
It's already available? I thought it released on thursday.
I'm in Australia so it's already the 20th here. It's past midnight and I'm giving style switching a go.

It's godly... this style switching and weapon switching makes this the best DMC game ever. Sigh I love this game...

If Dante makes it in, weapon + style switching is the best way to go in order to make his character stand out. That should put an end to the "h-he's a s-sword anime guy so he's bad" argument to rest.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Considering how perfect Ultimate is, I really just want the next Smash Bros. game to be an extension of Ultimate. Just add on to what we already have rather than starting over every time.
There's no such thing as a perfect game. I don't get this mentality of not wanting new games. I don't want to just play Ultimate forever. I want a new Smash eventually. Maybe everyone will change their tune 6 years from now when Nintendo releases their next console with more power and better graphics. Ultimate will look dated and you'll all expect something better.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Hmm

Sakurai didn’t say no Echoes would be in this pass... since it’s the last one and there’s still 4 more after the 6, think those 4 missing slots will be Echoes that will be automatically bundled with their “originals”?
Nope. Likely has zero chance of happening.

D

Deleted member

Hoo boy. I just caught up with everything.

If these six fighters truly are the end, I sure do hope Nintendo picked wisely.

......I hope at least 2 Spirits get upgraded before the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I still don't think that a fighter pass 3 is 100% impossible. From what I understand Sakurai said that more dlc isn't planned, but I think it's obvious that not more are planned right now because the second pass is suppose to last 2 years (or so). So if there's a third pass I guess negotiations and idea would just start next year. And Sakurai loves the game, so if Nintendo want more I think he would be okay with that.

Then again, I don't want to give anyone hopes up, but for me I still don't see a third pass out of the question with that quote.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There's no such thing as a perfect game. I suppose many people thought Super Mario 64 was perfect at one point. Would you have liked it if Nintendo never made a new Mario game ever again after 64 and just rereleased added Super Mario 64 with new worlds over and over and over again?

I don't get this mentality of not wanting new games. I don't want to just play Ultimate forever. I want a new Smash eventually.
At the same time there's a difference between a single player game and a multiplayer game, when people say Ultimate's pretty much perfect, it's because they can't think of much, if anything, to improve on. For a singleplayer game like Mario 64, there's unique things to be done with the level design, lessons learned during development, criticisms to take from the prior game, etc, if you release the same multiplayer game again, people will play together, releasing a singleplayer game again, then people are pretty much buying the same game twice solely for themselves instead of enjoying it alongside others

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hmm

Let the poor man have a long break. Heck even retire at this point.

Sakurai we all know you love your work but for the sake of your health you really earn this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aren’t echoes way easier to make than not-Echoes tho?
Work is still work. As much as I'd love for him to round out the roster to 90 (92) I'd rather he live the rest of his life doing that no other gaming directors would had done leaving behind an great legacy of bringing one of the greatest crossovers of all time.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
At the same time there's a difference between a single player game and a multiplayer game, when people say Ultimate's pretty much perfect, it's because they can't think of much, if anything, to improve on. For a singleplayer game like Mario 64, there's unique things to be done with the level design, lessons learned during development, criticisms to take from the prior game, etc, if you release the same multiplayer game again, people will play together, releasing a singleplayer game again, then people are pretty much buying the same game twice solely for themselves instead of enjoying it alongside others
Yes it was a bad example. That's why I deleted that section of it. I should have said Street Fighter 2 or something. Or Mario Kart 64. Or some other old game. Games get old. That's my point. Eventually we'll want something up to date.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sakurai please take a break after Pass 2 and then make a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising I beg you

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think it would be wise for Nintendo to end with a popular character or a requested one.
Dude the last time they tried to do that we got ****ing Bayonetta off of some fishy poll results that likely weren't very accurate.

Was it a bad move? No. Was it a true move? No one knows but probably not.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dude the last time they tried to do that we got ****ing Bayonetta off of some fishy poll results that likely weren't very accurate.

Was it a bad move? No. Was it a true move? No one knows but probably not.
And lets remember despite the popular fan demanded picks Nintendo really chooses.

Given their history of ending on anti-climatic reveals lets not be surprised the final character ends up as such again.

Faso115

Smash Lord
slots are limited then. Assist trophies and spirits (unless a loophole is found) shouldn't be seriously considered for speculation. Sure you can still want it but the sensible thing is to pretend that character isn't happening.

So with that said, i hope Crash is one of those 6. Particularly the first three

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Going back through posts from the Brawl/Smash 4 days, its honestly hilarious how anti third party people were back then, lol.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Going back through posts from the Brawl/Smash 4 days, its honestly hilarious how anti third party people were back then, lol.
People were so salty about Snake lmao

So with that said, i hope Crash is one of those 6. Particularly the first three
Why the first three? What do the last three make any difference?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Because i don't want to wait an entire year to see my character get revealed
i waited a little under a year for terry's reveal and i didn't even think he would get in the game

you'll live bro

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Because i don't want to wait an entire year to see my character get revealed
I waited 5 years for Godzilla: King of the Monsters and have to wait nine more months for Godzilla vs. Kong which doesn't compare to the former.

Worth it.

You'll make it believe me.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Since Nintendo picked the DLC again, we can probably safely expect any first party characters in the pass to be promotional picks for as-of-yet unannounced Nintendo games.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
who the **** did they ban
There's a movement to banning Puff in Melee as Puff play is too lame and not hype rushdown
Considering how some people still act about it it's always crazy

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since Nintendo picked the DLC again, we can probably safely expect any first party characters in the pass to be promotional picks for as-of-yet unannounced Nintendo games.
Another Fire Emblem character for example.

Don't see Pokemon however given the Spirit Event it got.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Another Fire Emblem character for example.

Don't see Pokemon however given the Spirit Event it got.
*Pokemon can't get a character because the latest game got Spirits*
*Fire Emblem can still get a character even though the latest game already got a fighter*

Ah yes, logic.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
*Pokemon can't get a character because the latest game got Spirits*
*Fire Emblem can still get a character even though the latest game already got a fighter*

Ah yes, logic.
I mean the only reason its even an discussion is due to Pokemon's popularity unlike other franchises that got Spirit Boards or Events.

Last edited:

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Best case scenario:
Breath of the Wild 2

Most likely:
Sword and Shield DLC

Nintendo hates us timeline:
Another FE character

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's a movement to banning Puff in Melee as Puff play is too lame and not hype rushdown
Hbox is the only thing keeping Melee alive and they really just wanna **** on him huh

their funeral

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So now that were in the Endgame now. What are everyone's 6 predictions again? Mine are

76: Crash Bandicoot
77: Travis Touchdown
78: Ring Fit Adventurer
79: Heihachi
80: 2B
81: Phoenix Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom