• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

PushDustIn has started translating Sakurai's Famitsu column about FP2.

As it stands now, FP2 is 100% the end of DLC. There will be nothing coming afterwards.

Also, same song and dance as FP1; Nintendo decided the characters, Sakurai did not.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

As it stands now, FP2 is 100% the end of DLC. There will be nothing coming afterwards.

Also, same song and dance as FP1; Nintendo decided the characters, Sakurai did not.
NO SEASON 3 BOYS

WE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

osby

Smash Obsessed
As it stands now, FP2 is 100% the end of DLC. There will be nothing coming afterward.
This is going to get so many denial replies.

And this will get the usual "absolutely nobody in the entire universe but Sakurai knows what Persona and SNK are" comments.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
huh... I guess the ride does end after all

real talk, assuming we've still got two years of insanity to go through with vol 2, there's no way I'd be able to handle a vol 3

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wasn't there an article where he said there was no plans for a Fighter's Pass Season 2 during Season 1?

Either way this Pass is lasting till the end of 2021 apparently so we'll be 4 almost 5 years into the Switch's life cycle. Meaning that 2-3 more years and we might be seeing the next Smash game. Whether it's Ultimate Deluxe or what, who knows?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Yet Smash fans blame Sakurai for "Waaahhh! anImEy swOrd Guy, Fire emblEm bias."

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wasn't there an article where he said there was no plans for a Fighter's Pass Season 2 during Season 1?

Either way this Pass is lasting till the end of 2021 apparently so we'll be 4 almost 5 years into the Switch's life cycle. Meaning that 2-3 more years and we might be seeing the next Smash game. Whether it's Ultimate Deluxe or what, who knows?
Honestly, I believe him when he says no more DLC after this. Ultimate started development near the end of Smash 4's DLC life cycle, and is going until December 2021. That's 2016-2021. That's a LONG ****in' time to work on one game.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hmm so this is it huh

We're really in the endgame

Well not really since we're still going till some time in 2021, but you get my point

Real talk though I am interested to see who Nintendo decides to bring to the table this time

Because this is apparently it, the last 6 characters of Ultimate (and I do honestly think this is really the end of the line here considering how long this game has been in development between base and DLC)

Even if they're characters that don't interest me personally, I'm always curious as to how they'll shake up the competitive scene, so there's that to look forward to too

It's gonna be a wild ride from here on out, should be interesting to see it play out

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Honestly, I believe him when he says no more DLC after this. Ultimate started development near the end of Smash 4's DLC life cycle, and is going until December 2021. That's 2016-2021. That's a LONG ****in' time to work on one game.
Not to mention he was working on 2 Smash Games before this. Seriously, if we go until the end of 2021 he would have been working on Smash for almost 10 YEARS straight given that Smash 4 started in early 2012.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Well it looks like this is it. I was going to do the Endgame joke but two people beat me to it, so let's use the emergency alternative.

original.gif

Why is everyone saying endgame

This hasnt even started yet
Endgame lasted over 3 hours so I'd say it's appropriate.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Not that it really tells us anything, but given that Nintendo choose the characters again I wonder if they just went with the next 6 characters on their list or changed things based on sales/response to the first few characters in pass one.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Not that it really tells us anything, but given that Nintendo choose the characters again I wonder if they just went with the next 6 characters on their list or changed things based on sales/response to the first few characters in pass one.
Who knows. We still don't have the rest of the column and I feel like theres going to be something there. We only really have two sentences and the entire column is just about FP2, not expecting anything crazy but I do wonder what else he has to be say about it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna assume we're getting 6 more Fire Emblem characters so I can be pleasantly surprised for at least 5 of the characters we end up getting.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If this is the last one, then I'm gonna pour one out for the SMT boys.

I remember back in January 2017, 3 years ago I believed SMTV had a shot of releasing soon enough to catch the window to be considered for Smash 5.

Guess some things just aren't meant to be...
Joshua shrug.png

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I'm not confident about my most wanted characters getting in if it's all Nintendo's decision.

I'm guessing that the characters will be chosen for business / promo reasons primarily. I guess looking to ports and new games for what characters to choose would make financial sense for them.

I've only got 3 characters in mind who I want, so the chances of them getting in is extremely thin based on that alone.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So #81 is the final character for Ultimate and likely Smash overall before the reboot.

There'll probably be a 1st party character but I hope all 6 are third party to make Ultimate the biggest crossover in gaming.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
With what we got from Season 1, I'd say we'll be fine.
I've no doubt some of the choices will blow the socks off of some fanbases.

I just want 2B and Dante (and Vergil, but even I know that I'm really pushing it with that one.)

That's it. In the grand scheme of things, among the many, many choices of amazing characters out there to choose from... it's stiff competition for sure.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I've no doubt some of the choices will blow the socks off of some fanbases.

I just want 2B and Dante (and Vergil, but even I know that I'm really pushing it with that one.)

That's it. In the grand scheme of things, among the many, many choices of amazing characters out there to choose from... it's stiff competition for sure.
Why exactly is Dante a long shot? Devil May Cry is on a huge comeback, the first 3 games got ported to switch with 3 being made the definitive version, and Devil May Cry is by far the biggest Capcom franchise not in Smash right now. I'm saying this as someone who really wants Phoenix, I think Dante has one of the best chances of getting in out of anyone.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Eh, we'll see if FP11 is really the last. Plans can change.

Also, at the end when the budget runs out, that's when the Echoes arrive!

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
With the characters in Fighters Pass 2 the last 6 characters to be added to Ultimate, I'm sure there will be tons of salt regardless of who gets added. Some will say we'll get entirely shill picks because Nintendo was choosing the characters, not Sakurai, but considering that Nintendo picked the following as part of the first Fighters Pass:

:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth:

I think we'll be good in terms of who we'll be getting for the next couple of years. I'm sure we'll get some cool third parties, but I believe one of the characters will be a first party. That being said, I'm personally hoping that Dante is one of them, but I don't want to jinx myself.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Why exactly is Dante a long shot? Devil May Cry is on a huge comeback, the first 3 games got ported to switch with 3 being made the definitive version, and Devil May Cry is by far the biggest Capcom franchise not in Smash right now. I'm saying this as someone who really wants Phoenix, I think Dante has one of the best chances of getting in out of anyone.
Expect the unexpected.

That's how I've always viewed the season pass. Even if it's obvious someone has a high chance of getting in, that doesn't always turn out to be the case.

I think the Resident Evil spirit event just kinda shook things up and heavily emphasised that no franchise is safe, no matter how big they are.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Every Spirit event is now infinitely worse feeling. Every time a Tuesday rolls around, that sinking feeling that it could be THAT Tuesday, where the character you've been asking for for a long time now will be put to rest... yeesh, hope you don't get invested in the idea of a character making it in.

My general predictions still stand: Nintendo will do what they did for FP2 again. Popular third party with no obvious connection to Nintendo -> Huge Japanese character who was previously considered out of reach -> Western character of the same kind -> Iconic to the genre, niche in general third party with a huge legacy -> the new slot, a wild card -> A first party character intended to promote an upcoming (at the time of development; the game may release beforehand) release, who is widely unpopular in the Smash fandom.

I believe there is a chance we could see a Volume 3 anyway, but only if Volume 2 blows expectations out of the water. Like, incredible sales unparalleled in DLC before (I'm talking 80%, 90% of SSBU owners buying it, which is a complete farce and not going to happen). Otherwise, this is most certainly it.

Bear in mind, I will be happy to see a Spirit event in some cases; rejected Spirit candidates for Volume 1, Mii Costumes getting more Spirits, and other such things would be great. But any unrepresented franchise will be bittersweet at best, because while at least they're in, it means they won't be in.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

The translation continues.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Expect the unexpected.

That's how I've always viewed the season pass. Even if it's obvious someone has a high chance of getting in, that doesn't always turn out to be the case.

I think the Resident Evil spirit event just kinda shook things up and heavily emphasised that no franchise is safe, no matter how big they are.
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure making any of the zombies (I know they're infected and not undead, but still) spirits would up the age rating

D

Deleted member

Well, this is gonna be the last ride, huh.

More Women for Smash!

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
If I had one wish, it would be something grandiose, pro bono, and philanthropic. Ending suffering or something.

If I had one realistic wish, it would be that somehow, in some way, over the vast expanses of language and the Pacific ocean, that the fan's requests got to Nintendo, and that they listened and all six characters are fan requests.

The first DLC was decided long before the game released, probably in the summer of that year. This DLC has every opportunity to be a response to what the fans wanted and expected leading up to launch.

“Nintendo picked the characters”

aw man we’re gonna get nothing but shill picks /s
As long as the shill picks come from unrepresented Nintendo franchises, I am a pig in ****. Pander to me.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
If I had one wish, it would be something grandiose, pro bono, and philanthropic. Ending suffering or something.

If I had one realistic wish, it would be that somehow, in some way, over the vast expanses of language and the Pacific ocean, that the fan's requests got to Nintendo, and that they listened and all six characters are fan requests.

The first DLC was decided long before the game released, probably in the summer of that year. This DLC has every opportunity to be a response to what the fans wanted and expected leading up to launch.
Well good news, that's extremely likely. The 5 characters from the first pass all had fans wanting them to be added. The next 6 will also have fans wanting them to be added.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

As long as the shill picks come from unrepresented Nintendo franchises, I am a pig in ****. Pander to me.
You mean ones like Kirby and Zelda?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well good news, that's extremely likely. The 5 characters from the first pass all had fans wanting them to be added. The next 6 will also have fans wanting them to be added.
Literally every character has fans. Acting like Byleth was a popular or heavily wanted choice is ludicrous.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
inb4 we get Tom Nook as a shill pick tomorrow.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
So basically with Nintendo picking the fighters again, its safe to say that is like gonna very in line with what we got with Fighter Pass 1, which was basically.

5 out of 5 were main characters.

4 out of 5 were third party characters whose owners Nintendo has a strong relationship with.

4 out of 5 were characters from Japanese games.

2 out of 5 were characters that are the companies respective most iconic character (Joker for Atlus and Terry for SNK)

1 out of 5 being a Nintendo character from a recently released game.

So basically seems like its gonna be mostly main characters or mascots from Japanese third party companies that have a strong working relationship with Nintendo, with 1 or 2 Nintendo characters from a recent major release and maybe 1 western third party character (though I am not holding my breath for this one as none reached Banjo's height in terms of the sheer volume of request). If Nintendo's past picks are any indication for what we can expect to pick for Season 2.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Gotta say, I don't envy poor #81. Byleth got what he got with people knowing there were more characters. If #81 is a Byleth-style choice, then oh boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom