• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Well, I disagree. And frankly, I don't think "a mainstream audience" would be very familiar with either character. And 2B is recognized by the average gamer as "that eyepatch girl with the ass".
Depends on how we're defining "mainstream audience". There's obviously levels to this kind of thing, as there are with niche products. Nier Automata has more sales than Persona 5 at this point (4 million and 3.2 million respectively as of last year), which puts them above the level of niche cult following imo, especially when both games have had a semi-mainstream stage at the game awards. Shantae on the other hand has no public numbers to my knowledge beyond the first game, which was a massive sub-30k flop iirc.

For Shantae to be more recognizable, we'd have to assume the people that haven't played any of her games are just tangentially aware of her through cultural osmosis, as sales is clearly not in her favor. The problem here is 2B has the exact same thing going for her. To outsiders, she may be known as "the girl with the fully-rendered butthole" (even if they never learned that was fake), but that's still awareness. That's a very clear 4 million+ while Shantae is coming at this from a much lower number+. Let's say for arguments sake the Shantae franchise has sold 1 million copies. That means there needs to be a whopping 4 times the amount of people that have consumed no content with her in it but are in some way aware of her to reach the amount of people that have flat out consumed the content 2B is featured prominently in.

There's obviously no way to get exact numbers on something as hidden as awareness, but we can extrapolate from what observable metrics we do have, and they are not in Shantae's favor.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Made a SEGA Fighting Roster
Its incomplete at the moment(need to add character alts, logos and names)
52 characters

But here's the thing:

I forgot about Atlus which ruined it since i had to get rid of Amigo

Thanks a lot Atlus

Selvaria Bles main btw. God I need to finish all the side content for VC4.

No joke, if I got a blank check from Nintendo to get real stupid with Smash DLC got to pick literally any video game characters and didn't have to answer to ANYONE, Alicia or Selvaria would be one of my picks, along with Infested Kerrigan from Starcraft and the Witch from Dungeon Fighter Online (along with more conventional Golden Sun and Advance Wars representation).

Smashboards and Reddit and Twitter would explode, but I'd be a pig in ****. Those are the things dreams are made of.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, sure. But by that same token, EVERY Street Fighter 2 character is bigger than Joker. Does that mean we should have got a dozen SF characters before we got our first Persona character?

Bigger franchises have bigger characters, but that doesn't mean Smash should just be every character from the 4 biggest gaming franchises.
Variety is key. We can have characters from old and new franchises. But to shut out the biggest franchises in gaming just because they don't add one name to the credits list is counterproductive.
Don’t you just love it when people here try and speak for everyone on their high horse?

I highly disagree with you, the former three (yes, even Arle) would be way more exciting for me than the latter. Just because they’d bring even more new universes to the biggest gaming crossover ever.
Well, the whole post was about how the sole fact that they are from new universes doesn't make them inherently better. Of course it's more surprising, and you're free to like whatever character you like best. But to the mainstream, the three I mentioned would be bigger deals, I don't think there's any arguing that.

For the record, I support the other three characters from new franchises I mentioned. I just disagree with the notion of just adding new franchises to the exclusion of everything else. New doors are opening, and that's great, but it's not ideal if it means other doors are closing.
People want different things. People are in love with the crossover element right now and want to see Sakurai make history here by taking advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity to have all these IPs coexist in a single game. This chance ain't ever happening again, people want him to make the most of it.

Having different opinions isn't bad. What's bad is criticizing others for having as different opinion. That ain't cool.
See, the thing is, the once in a lifetime deal is not a good argument. It's based on the theory that all these third parties can all coexist in the game because they're getting cut next game. Let's presume it's true (it's nowhere near a guarantee). That means, for example, that Cloud's getting cut. If so, then getting Sephiroth is also a once in a lifetime chance - after all, we're not going to get Sephiroth if Cloud doesn't return. That's the same with anyone, really. We're not going to get Gruntilda if Banjo never returns. We're not going to get Chun-Li or M. Bison if the shotos are cut. So, really, if third parties are in jeopardy, then second reps from those series are the ones that should get in.

After all, maybe it's Kiryu or 2B's only chance to be in a game with the Luminary. But maybe it's Chun-Li's only chance to get in period. I think there's more urgency in the latter case.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Off the top of my head, Donkey Kong, Wario, Ganon, Dr. Eggman, Dr. Wily, Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde, Mewtwo (if you count him as an antagonist), M. Bison, and Akuma are all far more recognizable than Sephiroth.
Isn't seen as an antagonist, no, yes, yes, yes, no, no, no, no, maybe, no and no.

See, the thing is, the once in a lifetime deal is not a good argument. It's based on the theory that all these third parties can all coexist in the game because they're getting cut next game.
See, I don't think they are getting cut.

Which is why it makes more sense to save 2nd 3P characters for the next base game, and leave the DLC slots to new franchises.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Forget it, all this talk about “icons” and nobody mentions Pepsi Man? Smh y’all are frauds.

Either him, Coca-Cola Bear or Cranberry Sprite Lebron are top tier picks and would be perfect soft drink reps.
Not the most original idea because I'm sure it's been brought up before, But In all honesty I would love a Super Smash Bros game regarding food mascots/icons that's over the top and wacky, Everyone beating the crap out of each other while throwing around their iconic catchphrases and one liners at each other.

It sounds so stupid and ridiculous to the point that it would be nothing short of hilariously amazing.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I've been living under a rock, and now I think the following characters are likely, in no particular order: Crash Bandicoot, an ArcSys rep (either Ragna the Bloodedge or Sol Badguy), Travis Touchdown, Frisk/Chara, Gen 8 final evolution (Rillaboom, Cinderance, or Inteleon), and someone totally unexpected.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Hot take incoming.

If we are getting another Square rep, it is 100% going to be either Sora or 2B. I’m sorry, but Sakurai legit had the rights for Geno (contradicting the “Square Bad!” narrative that people are STILL trying to push to this day) and he still made the conscious decision to make him a Spirit. Its over. If there was still any desire to make him playable, it would’ve happened by now. Its honestly really shocking that everyone and their mother are still putting him on prediction lists and that his thread legitimately thinks he is a lock.

Also, a huge reason why we got K Rool, Banjo, Ridley ect was because of the ballot, which undeniably had a huge influence on this game. And ironically enough, that was the one time period that his support went down significantly compared to Brawl and Ultimate. The moment where it absolutely mattered most, the support base didn’t show up.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

No joke, if I got a blank check from Nintendo to get real stupid with Smash DLC got to pick literally any video game characters and didn't have to answer to ANYONE, Alicia or Selvaria would be one of my picks, along with Infested Kerrigan from Starcraft and the Witch from Dungeon Fighter Online (along with more conventional Golden Sun and Advance Wars representation).

Smashboards and Reddit and Twitter would explode, but I'd be a pig in ****. Those are the things dreams are made of.
I'd add Goku, and rationalize it by saying fourth parties have contributed to gaming significantly to the industry for decades and deserve to spot of recognition too.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hot take incoming.

If we are getting another Square rep, it is 100% going to be either Sora or 2B. I’m sorry, but Sakurai legit had the rights for Geno (contradicting the “Square Bad!” narrative that people are STILL trying to push to this day) and he still made the conscious decision to make him a Spirit. Its over. If there was still any desire to make him playable, it would’ve happened by now. Its honestly really shocking that everyone and their mother are still putting him on prediction lists and that his thread legitimately thinks he is a lock.

Also, a huge reason why we got K Rool, Banjo, Ridley ect was because of the ballot, which undeniably had a huge influence on this game. And ironically enough, that was the one time period that his support went down significantly compared to Brawl and Ultimate. The moment where it absolutely mattered most, the support base didn’t show up.
Damn yo, your going to anger the Geno stans with this.

Also inb4 2B gets relegated to spirit event status.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
You fool! It took me forever to get that song outta my head, and you had to... to... do...
DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DODO! Daytonaaaaaaaaa! Daytona, let's go away!
Funny thing is, the composer for that song DID make a remix for Smash Ultimate and yes it has lyrics
Forget it, all this talk about “icons” and nobody mentions Pepsi Man? Smh y’all are frauds.

Either him, Coca-Cola Bear or Cranberry Sprite Lebron are top tier picks and would be perfect soft drink reps.
Soft drink reps are cool, but what about a cereal box rep? We need Chex Warrior from Chex Quest in Smash!

dims.jpg

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Hot take incoming.

Sora is Disney, not Square.
Lara Croft is 1000 times more likely than Sora.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People want different things. People are in love with the crossover element right now and want to see Sakurai make history here by taking advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity to have all these IPs coexist in a single game. This chance ain't ever happening again, people want him to make the most of it.
You don't speak for everyone. There could be a decent crowd who is just buying these characters just to have the full roster, and the individual characters are hype to different people for different reasons than expanding the crossover. Like how Banjo's hype doesn't come from that Microsoft copyright, but a desire to have it not exist.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
See, I don't think they are getting cut.

Which is why it makes more sense to save 2nd 3P characters for the next base game, and leave the DLC slots to new franchises.
If they aren't getting cut, then both options make equal sense.
I’m sorry, but Sakurai legit had the rights for Geno (contradicting the “Square Bad!” narrative that people are STILL trying to push to this day) and he still made the conscious decision to make him a Spirit.
Having the rights to a character doesn't mean you can use them any way you want. Contracts have nuances and limitations. He just negotiated for his appearance/that specific art of him. This is why, for example, SMRPG and FF7 music featured in trailers yet was absent from the games themselves. Just having permission to use a character/IP doesn't mean you have carte blanche to use them however you want.

Sakurai can't just, for example, add Heihachi or Alucard as a character just because they're in Smash as a sprite or an AT, there would need to be extra negotiations.
No they wouldn't. The "mainstream" isn't a bunch of video game nerds and wouldn't know who any of those are.
The mainstream doesn't know who Shadow the Hedgehog, Chun-Li, and Sephiroth are?

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

I wanted to do Alicia with the Squad 7 assisting her Captain Commando style with their different classes, (Largo=Lancer, Rosie=Shocktrooper, Welkin/Isara=Tank, etc) but i didnt have any room left for them.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hot take incoming.

Despite that, Sakurai still said he gets lots of requests and that he wanted to put him in as far back as Brawl. He may not get in, but Sakurai could still add him due to fans/liking Geno himself and just prioritized DQ over him because of how big it is and no way he’d pass up the opportunity to add one of his country’s biggest series, and prioritized some other characters in basegame due to bigger fan requests or something. There’s no reason Geno couldn’t be kept in mind for later.

And as GoodGrief said, when negotiating characters, you can only negotiate them for specific uses. It’s possible Square said something, or Sakurai was just wanting to focus on DQ when it came to Square stuff, so he negotiated for Geno and Mallow to be spirits at least.

Also, “it would’ve happened by now” has been used against other characters that have gotten in, and it could still happen later (for any character), so not exactly the best thing to say against characters’ chances, including Geno’s.

Geckocalypse

Smash Rookie
The mainstream doesn't know who Shadow the Hedgehog, Chun-Li, and Sephiroth are?
No. You either had to grow up around a certain time, or be into those games. Chun-li is the most likely out of the three because Street Fighter was huge. The only reason I know what a ****ing Sephiroth is is beause Final Fantasy fans never shut up about him. Shadow was a GC game and came way after Sonic was a household name. gamers know about them but most people in general wouldn't, and you could say that about any of the crap people want. Like do people honestly think 2B is actually iconic, because she absolutely isn't. The Characters I can think of that everyone would know is pretty much:

-The Mario cast
-Sonic
-Donkey Kong
-Pikachu, probably

Even Crash I don't think would be recognized by most people on the street. Most of those characters are from huge IP's and spinoff media like cartoons, movies ETC, and I know some people who would only know Lara Croft because they made a few movies. And that doesn't mean anything anyway, I mean Pit was added and he was only in one NES game and one Game boy game at the time that was a much lesser known game. Fire Emblem characters were added despite nobody in the west knowing them before their appearance.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No they wouldn't. The "mainstream" isn't a bunch of video game nerds and wouldn't know who any of those are.
"Mainstream" means mainstream gamers, not non-gamer. Nobody here is ever talking about non-gamers, because non-gamers don't matter to Smash!

No. You either had to grow up around a certain time, or be into those games. Chun-li is the most likely out of the three because Street Fighter was huge.
WTF dude, all 3 of those characters are still in games now.

The only reason I know what a ****ing Sephiroth is is beause Final Fantasy fans never shut up about him.
...he's the main villain of one of the most anticipated games ever, coming out in like a month...

Shadow was a GC game and came way after Sonic was a household name.
Jesus Christ, Sonic is more of a household name now than he's ever been. Or did you somehow not hear about the movie.

And Shadow has been in like 20 other games and TV shows since that GC game.

Like do people honestly think 2B is actually iconic, because she absolutely isn't.
I agree with that one.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
See, the thing is, the once in a lifetime deal is not a good argument. It's based on the theory that all these third parties can all coexist in the game because they're getting cut next game. Let's presume it's true (it's nowhere near a guarantee). That means, for example, that Cloud's getting cut. If so, then getting Sephiroth is also a once in a lifetime chance - after all, we're not going to get Sephiroth if Cloud doesn't return. That's the same with anyone, really. We're not going to get Gruntilda if Banjo never returns. We're not going to get Chun-Li or M. Bison if the shotos are cut. So, really, if third parties are in jeopardy, then second reps from those series are the ones that should get in.

After all, maybe it's Kiryu or 2B's only chance to be in a game with the Luminary. But maybe it's Chun-Li's only chance to get in period. I think there's more urgency in the latter case.
Except it's not an objective right or wrong, nor are people arguing. People are expressing an opinion and preference, and that is evidently bugging you because it differs from yours.

You don't speak for everyone. There could be a decent crowd who is just buying these characters just to have the full roster, and the individual characters are hype to different people for different reasons than expanding the crossover. Like how Banjo's hype doesn't come from that Microsoft copyright, but a desire to have it not exist.
Where did I say I was speaking for anyone? The whole point of my post was that people have different opinions and tastes for Smash characters, and givin' 'em flack for it ain't cool.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Despite that, Sakurai still said he gets lots of requests and that he wanted to put him in as far back as Brawl. He may not get in, but Sakurai could still add him due to fans/liking Geno himself and just prioritized DQ over him because of how big it is and no way he’d pass up the opportunity to add one of his country’s biggest series, and prioritized some other characters in basegame due to bigger fan requests or something. There’s no reason Geno couldn’t be kept in mind for later.

And as GoodGrief said, when negotiating characters, you can only negotiate them for specific uses. It’s possible Square said something, or Sakurai was just wanting to focus on DQ when it came to Square stuff, so he negotiated for Geno and Mallow to be spirits at least.

Also, “it would’ve happened by now” has been used against other characters that have gotten in, and it could still happen later (for any character), so not exactly the best thing to say against characters’ chances, including Geno’s.
That and Fighter's pass season 2 means at least 6 chances for Geno to get in.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
This whole "New series VS. new rep for old series" thing just feels like an excuse for people to take sides and argue about how "My character is better!" "Nuh-uh, mine is! Now, in my 500 page essay I will explain how my taste is better than yours!"

Same old song and dance, just a new flavor added to it. This fandom sure does love its tribalism.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nintendo is probably the company that caters to non-gamers the most.
No, they don't. Because if you're playing a Nintendo game, you're no longer a non-gamer.

You're calling casual gamers non-gamers, and they aren't the same thing.

And as GoodGrief said, when negotiating characters, you can only negotiate them for specific uses.
Well, you can negotiate them for anything you can get them to agree to.

If Nintendo says "We want the rights to put Mega Man in Smash 4 and any future Smash game, along with any Mega Man related characters." and Capcom agrees, then it's not specific at all.

Last edited:

Geckocalypse

Smash Rookie
No, they don't. Because if you're playing a Nintendo game, you're no longer a non-gamer.

You're calling casual gamers non-gamers, and they aren't the same thing.
I mean, my parents never play video games at all and they still will buy a Nintendo console and Mario or something, play it once and then literally never touch it again.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People who don't know Shadow, Chun Li, or Sephiroth probably didn't know any of the DLC received so far, bought the game because Mario and Pikachu were on the cover, and stopped playing probably a month after they got the game.

DLC doesn't cater to that strata of "mainstream".

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well, I disagree. And frankly, I don't think "a mainstream audience" would be very familiar with either character. And 2B is recognized by the average gamer as "that eyepatch girl with the ass".
I kinda think you're wrong here. Considering that NieR Automata was one of the biggest games of 2017 along with Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Persona 5, I think most people are at least aware of who 2B is and her name is unique enough that most people would at least recognize it and likely know who '2B' refers to..the fact that no one here has had to have them told who 2B is or what NieR Automata is is proof enough of that. She's at the very least as recognizable as Joker is..and even if they did only know her as 'that blindfolded girl with the ass', they would still know of her akin to people that thought Link's name was Zelda still recognized him as the main character of the Legend of Zelda. She's not the most obscure or unknown characters to gamers, most would at least recognize her. Shantae, probably not as much, considering that her games have never been Game of the Year contenders nor has she had many crossover appearances, unlike 2B (being in Soul Calibur VI was a pretty big deal for her to be honest).
People who don't know Shadow, Chun Li, or Sephiroth probably didn't know any of the DLC received so far, bought the game because Mario and Pikachu were on the cover, and stopped playing probably a month after they got the game.

Pretty much. Nintendo knows that DLC will likely only really sell to people that gamers/see themselves as gamers.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Hot take incoming.

Well I won’t sugar coat it, but personally I do think that Geno’s history with Nintendo is negligible. SMRPG in general looks like it barely broke the top 20 best selling SNES games. Just barely beating Crono Trigger.

Most people aren’t familiar with the character since he’s only made one notable appearance and isn’t even the star of that specific title unlike Banjo.

The biggest issue I find with Geno is Nintendo reaps very little benefit to include him unless they plan on using the SMRPG IP again. And I’m not saying a character needs to promote a game coming out, but even a character that brings in a new audience would be beneficial to Nintendo. Unfortunately Geno fails to do even that considering most Geno fans are probably Mario/Nintendo fans anyways. Way too much overlap there on a Venn diagram.

Overall I’d agree that there’s a lot against the character, but I could still see him getting in this season out of pure fan service. Sakurai has already acknowledged the character which is a lot more than other characters have at this point anyways.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, my parents never play video games at all and they still will buy a Nintendo console and Mario or something, play it once and then literally never touch it again.
I think that is...unusual behavior, and I don't think even Nintendo caters to that audience(you can't sell games to people who only play a console once).

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I think that is...unusual behavior, and I don't think even Nintendo caters to that audience(you can't sell games to people who only play a console once).
It happens, bought my switch and I’ve had it for like 2 years now. Think I’ve turned it on maybe 5 times.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Trolling/bait
Hot take incoming.

I hope we don’t get geno, 2b, or Sora hahah

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Tell that to the Wii..a ton of people legit bought it only for Wii Sports and only played it a few times...and that somehow propelled it to becoming one of the best selling consoles ever..
I hope we don’t get geno, 2b, or Sora hahah
All three would be amazing.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think they should test the waters with a second Sonic character first. That would probably be the safest and most popular franchise to experiment with.
I mean, sure? But most of the third party series would probably get a 2nd/3rd character and most people would be pretty happy.

Geckocalypse

Smash Rookie

They also own a Ps4 and never played that either. My dad is one of those people you see mentioned and would think Link is Zelda (He actually saw me playing the Wonderful 101 and thought it was zelda, thought No More Heroes was Power Rangers, and Dodonpachi was asteroids)

So when I think of "mainstream" I try to think of something that even they would recognize, and when I think of "Casual gamers" I think of people that play mostly cell phone games.

I also didn't mean to quote that first one, but I don't think Nintendo honestly cares much. I mean people were complaining about Fire Emblem characters and they still added another one.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Shantae, probably not as much, considering that her games have never been Game of the Year contenders nor has she had many crossover appearances, unlike 2B
Granted, but Shantae has an entire franchise that's been around for 20 years. 2B has been around for 3 years.

Like, every Mega Man game has probably sold less than Red Dead Redemption 2, but that doesn't make Arthur Morgan more iconic than Megaman.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I don't think those are the type of people to give two sh**s about DLC choices either way then, and thus, what characters they recognize and don't recognize don't exactly matter in this context anyways, because like N3ON said, the only characters in gaming they would recognize period would be Mario, Pikachu, and Pac-Man, and they probably don't care at all about Smash or anything to do with gaming crossovers to begin with.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Granted, but Shantae has an entire franchise that's been around for 20 years. 2B has been around for 3 years.

Like, every Mega Man game has probably sold less than Red Dead Redemption 2, but that doesn't make Arthur Morgan more iconic than Megaman.
Iconic, no, but more well known..but that's not the best comparison either since Mega Man is still a well known game series and has a ton of appearances in his own series and others.
While I adore Shantae, she just doesn't compare to 2B in regards to how well known she is and what NieR Automata has done for Square-Enix..its one of the few non-Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, or Kingdom Hearts RPG to actually get popular and achieve mainstream success.
I also don't think most people would know Arthur Morgan or who he is just from his appearance..I know I wouldn't..granted, it is a more customizable appearance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom