• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
For those who want Lara Croft, which version would you want?

The old classic design, or the reboot?

I would vastly prefer the classic design.
I like the classic design more if I'm truthful. Although I want both to appear as skins for her.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Every potential character could have a bunch of different Spirits for their board. But, can they have a legend Spirit? So far, the legends we have are...
  1. A collection of characters. Ren and Hero brought the Phantom Thieves and Hero's Comrades.
  2. The main antagonist of that Challenger Pack's game. Banjo and Terry had Gruntilda and Geese Howard.
  3. Sothis, who is a deity and a very important figure to the lore of 3H, as well as where Divine Pulse comes from. From Byleth's board.
The Zacian and Zamazenta spirits are the only DLC Primary Legends so far, but I'm not going to assume that's a hard and fast rule. But if it is, then a Legend Support Spirit must come with a new ability. So, if the character you wanted got a legend Spirit, who would it be?

Arle, for instance. Regardless of the identity of the Legend Spirit, as a Support they would have the ability "KO Boost", which makes you stronger after every KO.
  • Carbuncle, Arle's most iconic companion, and a Puyo powerhouse that is feared by all. Could possibly fit as a Novice as well, but him being a Legend references his status as a superboss and masterclass AI.
  • Doppelganger Arle, or more specifically Pierrot, the popular final boss of Puyo Puyo 4. If the normal Doppel is one of Arle's alternate costumes, then her disguise as Pierrot could fit here. Pierrot could, however, also be a Novice that evolves into Doppel, a Legend.
  • Puyo Heroines, consisting of Arle, Amitie, Ringo and Ally. The main four characters. I don't usually think of this as a good option, but if all else fails, then this'd work.
Those seem like the leading two candidates for legends. I have other characters who could fit that mold, but I feel like these two have the strongest claim. Satan could be here, but I think an Ace that evolves into a Legend spirit would fit better, or even just a normal Ace spirit fits.

You don't even need to think of what they'd do. As long as you can think of someone or something to fill the Legend Spirit slot, you're golden. For Crash, I'm thinking Cortex is too obvious of a candidate. Instead, it'd be Aku Aku, who'd grant Invincibility Duration Up. For Lloyd, easily Yggdrasil. Frisk, I'm thinking the Annoying Dog as a Joke Spirit (ability: Initial Damage +100%.). When it comes to Paper Mario, it could be the Star Spirits, who would have the ability to nullify stat bonuses to enemies with Spirit boosts (let's call it, Stat Up Seal, or maybe just Star Beam).
Bandana Dee - Dark Termina, I guess. Most of the big Kirby stuff is in already.
Grovyle - Primal Dialga, easy peasy. It's effect would probably be some sort of timer effect.
Maxwell - ???. Scribblenauts isn't exactly a character-based series. Maybe the doppleganger? Maybe Batman?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Sora would be cool.

But we all know how that's gonna go. :upsidedown:

Anyways, Crono would be sick but Chrono Trigger is pretty much a dead IP so I dunno how likely it'd be them choosing Crono over the much more widely marketable 2B or Lara Croft.

Speaking of which, where's the Tomb Raider love here? That would be a monumental addition to Smash!
Personally I feel like if Sora ends up in Smash he'll have the least amount of content of any of ultimates newcomers.

Least songs, smallest spirit board, a stage similar to Yggdrasil altar where instead of cameos from Sora's human friends the cameos are generic enemies. stuff like that.

Still more content than FF7 tho lol

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So, I looked me up some Doppelganger Arle, and I got this cutie.
Note that after she lost to Arle in Puyo Puyo~n, she said to the protagonist that she was Arle, which shocked the real Arle (the one with blue armor).
Doppelganger Arle as alt costume, or we riot.
For those who want Lara Croft, which version would you want?

The old classic design, or the reboot?

I would vastly prefer the classic design.
Definitely the Classic design, voice and all

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Its funny that people say Square is stingy, but at the end of the day I think they are the only third party characters to have alternate skins/ costumes that aren’t just recolors.

So if Lara Croft gets in, sure she’ll have 1 song, but probably multiple outfits if history repeats itself.

Edit* Well maybe PAC Man

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Its funny that people say Square is stingy, but at the end of the day I think they are the only third party characters to have alternate skins/ costumes that aren’t just recolors.

So if Lara Croft gets in, sure she’ll have 1 song, but probably multiple outfits if history repeats itself.

Edit* Well maybe PAC Man
Every third party other than Sonic and Pac-Man have good alts.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how unusual this is, but I'd take a second character for a guest franchise over strictly adding a new franchise. It's a tough choice either way, but I kind of have a problem with keeping a series tied to one character: they tend to absorb most of the impressions I have on that series. Olimar's Smash appearance, for example, was my only taste of Pikmin before I dipped my toes into knowledge of that series, and there's definitely more they could do with it compared to just what I knew from Smash. But I guess that's the price to pay for throwing in so many contrasting universes.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd be surprised if the Shantae franchise's cumulative sales beats Nier Automata's alone. What she has going for her over 2B is longevity and that's really it. There's no way she's more recognizable to a mainstream audience despite being around for longer.
Well, I disagree. And frankly, I don't think "a mainstream audience" would be very familiar with either character. And 2B is recognized by the average gamer as "that eyepatch girl with the ass".

With Tails. He's Sonic's Luigi. His Player 2.
Which is the main reason not to pick him, as he'd likely be an uninteresting semiclone.

Take relief in that backpack man also has the same issue as James Bond.
Well, no. Because Bond's #1 issue is he's not a video game character.

If Sephiroth were to get in what would his stage be?
Nibelheim Reactor.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Made a SEGA Fighting Roster
Its incomplete at the moment(need to add character alts, logos and names)
52 characters

But here's the thing:

I forgot about Atlus which ruined it since i had to get rid of Amigo

Thanks a lot Atlus

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amp/disn...ith-its-properties/?__twitter_impression=true

So apparently Disney wants developers to 'come and play' with it's properties.
Although this doesn't mean Sora is *lock and key, this could boost his chances.

*Pun intended.
I would give it the benefit of the doubt, But this could mean that Nintendo could at least settle with the big Mouse for discussions on the drawing board, though to what extent is unknown largely because I don't know if they ever made any negotiations in the first place anyway...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Joker and Bayonetta.
SEGA can deliver when they really want to it seems. (Although not sure who really handled those two). But I’m at least glad Sonic has a black Alt now instead of a bluish black. It’s my go to skin when I’m playing teams on a non-blue color cause it goes with everything. Especially red, giving Shadow vibes.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The worst part about the first DLC pass is that nowadays people undersell characters just because they wouldn't have a new series logo under their portrait.

Like, yeah, sure, maybe someone like Sol or Travis or Arle would be more surprising for the two minutes their trailer lasts but they are not a bigger deal than characters like Shadow, Chun-Li or Sephiroth. Honestly, the hardcore Smash community has become really spoiled where everything has to be an absolute shocker and a hypefest and something that's never been possible before, otherwise it's not worth it.

To me, it's insane. Had you asked anyone 6 years ago what their reaction would be if Sephiroth got into Smash and they'd have told you it's impossible or that they'd cry and stuff. Nowadays apparently it's divisive/disappointing? Yeah, things have changed, and not for the better.
For me personally, I'd rather have the former 3 (Sol, Travis, Arle) over the latter 3 (Shadow, Chun-Li, Sephiroth). In regards to 3rd parties, I'd rather have the love spread out rather than double up on something already there. 3rd parties are and should be treated as special. Simply put, popularity isn't the end all be all. I'd rather have Travis put in the game then for Sephiroth to be put in because he's "popular".

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amp/disn...ith-its-properties/?__twitter_impression=true

So apparently Disney wants developers to 'come and play' with it's properties.
Although this doesn't mean Sora is *lock and key, this could boost his chances.

*Pun intended.
Fine print is everything and we will never be privy to the finer details of Disney's agenda here. This doesn't give companies free reign over their properties and is more akin to the deal EA got for Star Wars games.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
In terms of 2nd 3rd Party reps, here's what would excite me personally from most to least:
1. Castlevania - Alucard
2. Mega Man - Zero
3. Street Fighter - Bison
4. Final Fantasy - Sephiroth
5. Metal Gear - Raiden
6. King of Fighters - Geese

Chun-Li being the first playable fighting game character is an impressive accomplishment, but that doesn't make her iconic.
When they said "first woman of fighting games", pretty sure they meant "the #1 woman in fighting games" not "the first female fighting game character".

I could go to my local supermarket, show several people a picture of Sephiroth, and ask them if they recognize him.
Okay but...who cares? At that point you're talking about mostly non-gamers. People who would NEVER buy Smash.

When people talk about being iconic, they aren't talking about to people's freakin' grandmas.

That's a very subjective thing to say and pass off as if it's objective.
Pretty sure including the phrase "quite possibly" is the exact opposite of trying to pass something off as objective.

Like, yeah, sure, maybe someone like Sol or Travis or Arle would be more surprising for the two minutes their trailer lasts but they are not a bigger deal than characters like Shadow, Chun-Li or Sephiroth.
Well, sure. But by that same token, EVERY Street Fighter 2 character is bigger than Joker. Does that mean we should have got a dozen SF characters before we got our first Persona character?

Bigger franchises have bigger characters, but that doesn't mean Smash should just be every character from the 4 biggest gaming franchises.

The only issue I have with Sephiroth is the knowledge that Square would give us like 2 songs and we still wouldn't have any remixes from a series that's well known for its music.
No remixes, but maybe you'd get remade tracks from Remake!

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
When has a dead IP stopped BK?
Banjo & Kazooie had massive fan demand to make up for their lack of relevance.

Unfortunately Crono has never really been a massive fan request in the same way. The Smash fanbase would rather instead rally behind Geno as the forgotten SNES era Square rep.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Smash having too many sword users/ FE characters is a pretty common complaint.
What if... hear me out..
They add Gilgamesh from Fates and his motive for joining Smash is to add the legendary swords/ weapons to his armory of legendary weapons.
He's come to claim the grandest of prizes.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Made a SEGA Fighting Roster
Its incomplete at the moment(need to add character alts, logos and names)
52 characters

But here's the thing:

I forgot about Atlus which ruined it since i had to get rid of Amigo

Thanks a lot Atlus
No Danica Patrick.
No buy.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think Sephiroth is pretty iconic, but calling him gaming's most iconic villain after Bowser is a massive stretch. He's really only the main antagonist of one game. A game with a massive legacy and the most popular entry in one of gaming's biggest franchises, but still one game, which really harms him when he has to go up against antagonists who appear more frequently.

Off the top of my head, Donkey Kong, Wario, Ganon, Dr. Eggman, Dr. Wily, Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde, Mewtwo (if you count him as an antagonist), M. Bison, and Akuma are all far more recognizable than Sephiroth.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
The worst part about the first DLC pass is that nowadays people undersell characters just because they wouldn't have a new series logo under their portrait.

Like, yeah, sure, maybe someone like Sol or Travis or Arle would be more surprising for the two minutes their trailer lasts but they are not a bigger deal than characters like Shadow, Chun-Li or Sephiroth. Honestly, the hardcore Smash community has become really spoiled where everything has to be an absolute shocker and a hypefest and something that's never been possible before, otherwise it's not worth it.

To me, it's insane. Had you asked anyone 6 years ago what their reaction would be if Sephiroth got into Smash and they'd have told you it's impossible or that they'd cry and stuff. Nowadays apparently it's divisive/disappointing? Yeah, things have changed, and not for the better.
I highly disagree with you, the former three (yes, even Arle) would be way more exciting for me than the latter. Just because they’d bring even more new universes to the biggest gaming crossover ever.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think Sephiroth is pretty iconic, but calling him gaming's most iconic villain after Bowser is a massive stretch. He's really only the main antagonist of one game. A game with a massive legacy and the most popular entry in one of gaming's biggest franchises, but still one game, which really harms him when he has to go up against antagonists who appear more frequently.

Off the top of my head, Donkey Kong, Wario, Ganon, Dr. Eggman, Dr. Wily, Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde, Mewtwo (if you count him as an antagonist), M. Bison, and Akuma are all far more recognizable than Sephiroth.
Wario's an anti-hero tho.

Donkey Kong is a hero (The one you saw in the original arcade was a younger Cranky Kong).

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'd love to see Gilgamesh get drawn into Smash by the promise of "too many swords", plus it'd be a fun way to reference other Square games by having him wield counterfeit gunblades, keyblades, Brotherhood, a knockoff Geno doll...
View attachment 262185
Smash having too many sword users/ FE characters is a pretty common complaint.
What if... hear me out..
They add Gilgamesh from Fates and his motive for joining Smash is to add the legendary swords/ weapons to his armory of legendary weapons.
He's come to claim the grandest of prizes.
CAN'T ESCAPE FROM CROSSING FATE
1581652020651.png

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Entire Smash roster shows up to confront Gilgamesh.
Buncha golden portals start opening.
Evil smirk.
Would be an awesome trailer.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

People want different things. People are in love with the crossover element right now and want to see Sakurai make history here by taking advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity to have all these IPs coexist in a single game. This chance ain't ever happening again, people want him to make the most of it.

Having different opinions isn't bad. What's bad is criticizing others for having as different opinion. That ain't cool.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Forget it, all this talk about “icons” and nobody mentions Pepsi Man? Smh y’all are frauds.

Either him, Coca-Cola Bear or Cranberry Sprite Lebron are top tier picks and would be perfect soft drink reps.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Wario's an anti-hero tho.

Donkey Kong is a hero (The one you saw in the original arcade was Cranky Kong in his younger days).
Wario's morality tends to vary from game to game. In his own series, he's an anti-hero. In the context of the general Mario series, he's almost always portrayed as a rival to Mario at best or an outright antagonist at worst. Wario is generally more well-known and popular as a Mario character than as a WarioWare or Wario Land character, so most people would probably identify Wario was a villain

Likewise, the villainous Donkey Kong of the pre-DKC games and heroic Donkey of DKC and beyond are two different characters, both carry the name Donkey Kong. Most people don't really know that distinction, so many still associate Donkey Kong as a villain to Mario, particularly people who grew up pre-DKC or gather most of their gaming knowledge from general pop culture.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Forget it, all this talk about “icons” and nobody mentions Pepsi Man? Smh y’all are frauds.

Either him, Coca-Cola Bear or Cranberry Sprite Lebron are top tier picks and would be perfect soft drink reps.
No one mentioning the absolute legend that is Gooigi either.

For shame, Smashboards. And y'all call yourself gamers. :T

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've never played a Tomb Raider game, so I don't know how feasible this is, but...

Could they mix the classic and new designs for Smash?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I mean alongside Sonic obviously Tails is probably the most popular and recognizable Sonic character. He's Sonic's Player 2. Sonic's Luigi.

It just doesn't feel right...
There's quite few obvious characters missing in that roster

Tails, Ringo, Gemini, Joe Musashi, Kage Maru, Nei, Cain, Max, Chaz, Dopple,Reala, Red Ring Rico, etc

Reasons why didnt include them is

1) I didnt want character types to overlap. Kage Maru is a ninja's and all the shinobi character are pretty much visually more interesting ninja's. Max is just more generic sword character when Alis and Han can cover that much better. Cain is just a android with a gun which RAcast/caseal cover better.

2) Some characters already cover or do better with the movesets they have. Ryo uses several of Kage Maru's martial arts techniques, Alis is the leading lady of Phantasy Star and can basically be retconned to do what Rico can do.

3) Some character are just more interesting than others. I didnt want just a dude who punches like Axel Stone, At least Blaze Fielding can use fire, characters like Ryo, Majima, Kiryu, Akira all have their own variety of Martial Arts thats keep them all different from another. Gemini uses a sword and gun which Erica and Sakura already cover so why not have Sumire instead with a Naginata? Why have Ringo when Draco can use her Magic powered Dragon melee fighting style? Cream is funnier to work with than Tails.

4)Their just Alts (Rika is a canonical incarnation of Nei, Joe Musashi will just fight like Hotsuma, Chaz will just fight like Alis, Arle=Dopple, NiGHTS=Reala, blah blah)

5) Too big. Sorry Virtual On and Panzer Dragoon. I woudve gone with The Seekers from PDS but having a PD rep without the dragon is weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom