• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Also, it's far too hard. If an average but dedicated player like myself can get on 48 KOs at best, what chances does your more casual player have before throwing his/her controller into the next dimension? We already have Cruel Mode for this.
I approve. I have experienced the pain of both Smash 4's Cruel Smash, and this game's Cruel Smash, and I can tell you now, we need Burly Brawl Melee back.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Nintendo is keeping things under wrap and its probably harder, if not impossible, for insiders to pass info to their 'leakers' since they'd be found out and fired. I'm not sure we'll ever really get any legitimate insider info or leaks for the remainder of the DLC schedule.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

The fact that no one was able to successfully leak Byleth tells me Nintendo stepped up their game and are letting so few people in the loop, that any leaks can easily be traced back to this small team of people.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

The fact that no one was able to successfully leak Byleth tells me Nintendo stepped up their game and are letting so few people in the loop, that any leaks can easily be traced back to this small team of people.
It probably helps that there were fewer people involved since Byleth is a first party Nintendo character

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Six characters and none of them leaking beforehand is not a situation I imagine will come to pass.

For one, some people might already know some of what's to come.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I feel like that they could do something new with a Ridley boss battle using the current Ridley as a template, like a Ridley equivalent to Giga Bowser. Call it 'Mega Ridley' and have that Ridley use attacks from Brawl Ridley, Meta Ridley, Clone Ridley and Fighter Ridley, as well as new attacks like a non-Final Smash Plasma Scream. The Ultimate Ridley Amalgamation.
As upset as I'd be that they'd go with some generic title, like Mega/Giga Ridley over some of his actual other forms (Omega, Proteus, Clone/X parasite, etc.), I'd be lying if I said I didn't like Xander Mobus calling Other M Ridley's "enhanced/hardened" form Meta Ridley with such enthusiasm ("and he becomes META RIDLEY!"). I wouldn't mind if they cut corners for it, frankly I was expecting the Pyrosphere stage assets to eventually just be reused as a boss arena.

-

On that note, genuinely miss classic/other modes having the little things that made previous side content/single player stuff feel much more loved than just "welp, it's here" as it does in Ultimate. Hearing the announcer say "Versus: Master Hand" isn't something I thought would matter that much, but the lack of it kills the drive to finish all Classic routes almost as hard as the lack of variety/non-hand final boss for most of 'em. Understand its a lot of work for this many characters (likely the same reason those little end cinematics didn't return), but seems like something that'd manage to sneak in with a quality of life update/end of DLC "definitive edition" patch, as I don't see it being any kind of priority while the fighters are still being made/released.

With the characters in question, the only way to tell this post wasn't actually made in 2007 is "we stan a queen" instead of "gurls ftw" :p:p:p
It's also distinctly missing the "and if you like/want ____ instead, *insert Xbox Live tier insult*" that was much more prevalent back then, and would certainly get you in way more trouble now.

Truly a magnificent age that made for a great time to be alive on this particular corner of the Internet. Not unlike this one, in its own splendid way.

The more you bemoan it each day, the longer it's gonna take (or at least feel like it is). Look at the positives, there's that much less time left to be disappointed this week by things that aren't related to speculation.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
So, I know this is a little off the topic, but Dragon Ball FighterZ (as it has a Fighters Pass similar to Smash Ultimate, but it's called the FighterZ Pass) had it's 3rd Season of DLC confirmed. I'm pretty excited for Kefla to join the DBFZ roster actually!
Let me know your thoughts on this.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
So, I know this is a little off the topic, but Dragon Ball FighterZ (as it has a Fighters Pass similar to Smash Ultimate, but it's called the FighterZ Pass) had it's 3rd Season of DLC confirmed. I'm pretty excited for Kefla to join the DBFZ roster actually!
I saw that actually.

It makes me wonder if smash will push itself into a 3rd season pass?

By 2021, 3 years would have passed since the game released and I doubt they'd move onto the next smash game so soon, not when this one is selling so well and can still be milked.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I saw that actually.

By 2021, 3 years would have passed since the game released and I doubt they'd move onto the next smash game so soon, not when this one is selling so well and can still be milked.
They would only have 4 slots left.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I've been debating on getting the game, but after seeing UI Goku and Kefla I definitely going for it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still say they should just continuously keep porting Ultimate onto each future console and keep adding additional characters. No Smash game will ever top Ultimate.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I still say they should just continuously keep porting Ultimate onto each future console and keep adding additional characters. No Smash game will ever top Ultimate.
They might get to a point where the only way forward is to cut the roster down, especially considering 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I wouldn't even be mad. Add new characters, stages, modes, items, music and assists and such with each 'reissuing' of the game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
They might get to a point where the only way forward is to cut the roster down, especially considering 3rd parties.
I mean to be fair it'd still be the same game just continuously updated.

Worst case scenario all the 3rd parties if not most goes. I can imagine ones like:ultsonic:and:ultbayonetta:staying.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Classic mode in general leaves me a little disappointed.

There are some really cool ones that go deep in referencing the character's history, but most just take a surface level quality of the character and have expand it into a really arbitrary classic mode. Kirby eats a lot of things? Have him fight other characters that eat. Snake uses guns? Have him fight a bunch of guys with guns. Ike's rival is the Black Knight? Just fight some swordsmen in their black alts.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I mean to be fair it'd still be the same game just continuously updated.
I think they mean if the series went forward, as in Ultimate wouldn't get ported/updated any further. Which is what I consider the future of the series if they make a new installment. I imagine it'll be a 'soft reboot' to rebuild the series with a smaller roster to possibly focus on universal changes to the series going forward. A new 'Smash 64' if you will.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I saw that actually.

I'm sure they'll certainly entertain the thought of more DLC, but it really depends on a lot of factors such as: Where will the Switch be in late 2021? Will it have another year or two in it? Is Sakurai comfortable doing more DLC? Do they want to get started on a potential sequel for a new console? Do they want to just let Smash be an evergreen title with 12 DLC fighters? Etc.

And unfortunately, we won't get a picture on much of that until 2021 actually rolls around. Now, if we progress considerably faster through Volume 2 than the December 2021 end date implies, I think the chances of further DLC increases significantly. But again, when we don't know the first detail about the first fighter, it's hard to really predict much about post Volume 2 without it just being wishful thinking.

They would only have 4 slots left.
This presumes they can't fix the Character Select Screen crashing past 90 characters by the time a 3rd Season Pass would be relevant. While certainly the game has clearly been setup to handle 90 and look nice in having that many fighters, I presume the developers at Nintendo are talented enough to come up with a workaround or solution.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

There are some really cool ones that go deep in referencing the character's history, but most just take a surface level quality of the character and have expand it into a really arbitrary classic mode. Kirby eats a lot of things? Have him fight other characters that eat. Snake uses guns? Have him fight a bunch of guys with guns. Ike's rival is the Black Knight? Just fight some swordsmen in their black alts.
Snake's goes a bit deeper than that. The classic mode is titled as OSP (On Site Procurement) and references how the Metal Gear games often require you to obtain equipment in the mission area. There's a whole trope named after these OSPs in Metal Gear.

Plus it calls back to Liquid Snake and the Metal Gears themselves with the last two matches.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
They should've kept Melee/3DS style "random" classic mode as an option for any character. Doing the same sequence of characters as your favorite is ironically more boring than having no set sequence for any character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This presumes they can't fix the Character Select Screen crashing past 90 characters by the time a 3rd Season Pass would be relevant. While certainly the game has clearly been setup to handle 90 and look nice in having that many fighters, I presume the developers at Nintendo are talented enough to come up with a workaround or solution.
There's also always simply doing an Echo Pack. Not as much work done and reusing models of already existing ones.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
hi yes i've returned

i see some people have suggested more premium mii costumes, some swordies and brawlers with tracks would be dope. sephiroth with one winged angel, monokuma with a dr medley. but whomever suggested gunvolt with a lumen song (eternal blue??) I HECKIN LOVE YOU.

and yes, with how well ultimate is doing, a third season wouldn't suprise me at all. with how much it MADE i don't even think they'd axe any third parties next installment assuming it's not another port - they made enough to afford the licenses again and more id think

anyway. yall seen these yet from mandycannot?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144

Out of every Classic Mode I've played, none of them, in my opinion, are better than Ultimate's Classic Mode, Melee's Classic Mode, and Smash 4's Classic Mode. However, for Adventure Mode in Ultimate, I still wish they could've done a Melee styled Adventure Mode. World of Light was a disappointment because it was SO HECKING LONG and the Final Boss fight(s) almost took FOREVER!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's also distinctly missing the "and if you like/want ____ instead, *insert Xbox Live tier insult*" that was much more prevalent back then, and would certainly get you in way more trouble now.

Truly a magnificent age that made for a great time to be alive on this particular corner of the Internet. Not unlike this one, in its own splendid way.
I, for one, appreciated the irony of someone being called gay because they wanted Krystal or Lyn or something.
But I'm glad no one brings my mom into it anymore.

The eloquence of that rhetoric is not something we'll again see in our lifetimes. Though we'll never be wanting for flawed perspectives.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If we do get more characters I suspect an Echo Pack. Again not as time consuming and simply redone models of already existing ones.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
hi yes i've returned

i see some people have suggested more premium mii costumes, some swordies and brawlers with tracks would be dope. sephiroth with one winged angel, monokuma with a dr medley. but whomever suggested gunvolt with a lumen song (eternal blue??) I HECKIN LOVE YOU.

and yes, with how well ultimate is doing, a third season wouldn't suprise me at all. with how much it MADE i don't even think they'd axe any third parties next installment assuming it's not another port - they made enough to afford the licenses again and more id think

It was proven the guy's a hack who deleted his prediction tweets that were wrong to make it seem like he's a leaker. Even if he's right about the date, it doesn't meananything since everyone expects a direct before the end of February.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Six characters and none of them leaking beforehand is not a situation I imagine will come to pass.

For one, some people might already know some of what's to come.
I would be shocked if one of the characters DOESN'T get leaked beforehand, by either an insider or Nintendo's own inconpetence

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Smash moves at the pace of a tortoise when it comes to DLC. There's no way they'd make a third season with such slowlyness.

D

Deleted member

hi yes i've returned

Hell, the date is technically tomorrow in my place, and yet we still have no Direct announcement.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Oh boy, no Melee style Adventure mode is such a missed opportunity.
I can't stop hating the fact that we just got Castlevania of all franchises, and don't get to go through a Dracula's Castle segment. Plust it would have been the first time :ultsonic: and :ultmegaman: get a chance to have sections based on their games.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
hi yes i've returned

I'm the guy who suggested Gunvolt, actually. :-P

Eternal Blue would be cool but I think they would opt for Reincarnation since it's a a lot more notable.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Out of every Classic Mode I've played, none of them, in my opinion, are better than Ultimate's Classic Mode, Melee's Classic Mode, and Smash 4's Classic Mode. However, for Adventure Mode in Ultimate, I still wish they could've done a Melee styled Adventure Mode. World of Light was a disappointment because it was SO HECKING LONG and the Final Boss fight(s) almost took FOREVER!
Aside from one or two specific routes, my only real nitpick with Classic in Ultimate is how some bosses are severely underutilized. Giga Bowser is fought twice. Ganon and Dracula, four times. Marx, three times. Almost 70% of the cast still has Hands as the boss. I hope these guys get more love in season 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm the guy who suggested Gunvolt, actually. :-P

Eternal Blue would be cool but I think they would opt for Reincarnation since it's a a lot more notable.
Maybe even Copen with Lola’s Igniter (the Luminous Avenger iX version)?
If they wanna include a second song with copen, maybe Beyond Probability (Darkness Trigger theme, basically your Desperation mode)?

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Oh boy, no Melee style Adventure mode is such a missed opportunity.
I can't stop hating the fact that we just got Castlevania of all franchises, and don't get to go through a Dracula's Castle segment. Plust it would have been the first time :ultsonic: and :ultmegaman: get a chance to have sections based on their games.
Not going to lie here, but I think Melee's adventure mode was the first good adventure mode, with Brawl's being the last (hate on me all you want for liking Subspace Emissary). Ultimate's Adventure Mode I found decent at points (such as ****ING GIGA BOWSER, Marx, and Galleom, the Street Fighter segment, and even the pop-quiz like Mysterious Space map), but the rest of the "Adventure" mode so they call it was just a borefest. Hell, it felt like forever trying to get Dedede!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would be shocked if one of the characters DOESN'T get leaked beforehand, by either an insider or Nintendo's own inconpetence
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I can't imagine the next two years will be completely free of (valid) leaks.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Maybe even Copen with Lola’s Igniter (the Luminous Avenger iX version)?
If they wanna include a second song with copen, maybe Beyond Probability (Darkness Trigger theme, basically your Desperation mode)?
Assuming that we would only receive one costume for Gunvolt, maybe the duet version of Indigo Destiny could be bundled in order to rep both Lumen and Lola?

Kinda hard to decide on a single track since a bunch of them are pretty good, TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom