• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I don’t trust this Mandy person. It wasn’t that hard to predict Byleth, and it wasn’t really a direct so much as a presentation.

I also don’t think Crash is FP6, but that’s more of a personal bias.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Honestly expecting a lot of radio silence until at least E3.

And I think Crash is entirely possible as part of the 2nd pass, although not necessarily FP6.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know I’m still legit curious why did the Puyo director retweet the Byleth presentation

That presentation also revealed pass 2 with 6 characters. Either Arle’s there, or perhaps Puyo director had a hand in FE3H that I’m not aware of

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You know I’m still legit curious why did the Puyo director retweet the Byleth presentation

That presentation also revealed pass 2 with 6 characters. Either Arle’s there, or perhaps Puyo director had a hand in FE3H that I’m not aware of
The wildest theory I've heard is that he's a fan of Smash Bros and wants others to experience the direct as well, but of course who could believe something so outlandish.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Oh man, if there is a Direct announce for Wednesday many people are going to rapidly believe Mandy and that Crash is going to be announced only to be disappointed when it turns out it isn't... so I'm hoping for an announcement tomorrow, let's keep the salt train rolling.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I don’t trust this Mandy person. It wasn’t that hard to predict Byleth, and it wasn’t really a direct so much as a presentation.

I also don’t think Crash is FP6, but that’s more of a personal bias.
Bull**** it wasn't hard, last time I checked, most people were expecting another 3rd party character, not a character from a game that was released well after the pass was finalized.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord

Apparently he also retweeted the part where it's all about Byleth. I guess he might just be a fan of 3H? I think Arle's got a sizeable shot but the retweet is going to go down eventually as something that means relatively little, if anything.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

There was a interview with puyo puyo team about sega ages port the same week and the director I think mentioned that puyo puyo was like smash were people will return to a older game (melee) no matter how old it gets.

I assume he just likes smash

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna hold my breath for this supposedly upcoming direct. If MandyCan turns out to be right, cool there's a direct coming. If not, oh well.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I don’t trust this Mandy person. It wasn’t that hard to predict Byleth,
For post fighter's pass? Yes. For FP5? Ehhhh....
Don't get me wrong, I don't trust this Mandy person either but let's not get crazy and pretend everyone wasn't speculating every 3rd party character under the sun for the past 3 months.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Apparently he also retweeted the part where it's all about Byleth. I guess he might just be a fan of 3H? I think Arle's got a sizeable shot but the retweet is going to go down eventually as something that means relatively little, if anything.
There was a interview with puyo puyo team about sega ages port the same week and the director I think mentioned that puyo puyo was like smash were people will return to a older game (melee) no matter how old it gets.

I assume he just likes smash
Yeah, I wouldn't put it past Hosoyamada that he just likes Smash/3H/Byleth, but I'm pretty sure Monolith Soft retweeted Robin/Lucina's Smash 4 reveal back in July 2014, and Shulk was revealed for Smash 4 like a month later...

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Bull**** it wasn't hard, last time I checked, most people were expecting another 3rd party character, not a character from a game that was released well after the pass was finalized.
I saw plenty of people speculating that another Fire Emblem character would make it in from Three Houses. It wasn’t hard. Most people just assumed it would be another 3rd Party character because the majority of the Pass had been.

For post fighter's pass? Yes. For FP5? Ehhhh....
Don't get me wrong, I don't trust this Mandy person either but let's not get crazy and pretend everyone wasn't speculating every 3rd party character under the sun for the past 3 months.
That’s only because people were assuming due to the majority of the Fighter Pass was 3rd Party. It was never stated that the Fighter Pass would be entirely 3rd Party. People were just assuming. That’s their own fault for believing in an assumption.

All I’m saying is, I saw plenty of people speculating Byleth/A Three Houses character. Those claiming they didn’t see were the ones who didn’t want to believe that they’d add ANOTHER Fire Emblem character.

Edit: It keeps saying I’m double posting after it tells me other people have posted.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Even if the direct is on the same day as this Mandy person predicts, I don't think that's enough for them to be considered credible.

Unfortunately that alone would be enough for some to worship them like the second coming of Christ.

I'd be quite dismayed if I see people fully entrenched in believing Mandy's validity just because of this, as seeing some people so downright gullible is kinda... Disheartening.

Everyone knows a direct is bound to happen soon anyway. It's not an out of left field guess.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Byleth isn't hard to predict when you make a ****ton of other potential predictions only to delete them after the fact
Hate to say it but they didn't do that. I was following them before hand because I had this inkling that they are VR Plant. Papagenos never gave out VRP's real name but I think it's them. Anyways, whether or not Crash as F6 is up in the air but, like, if he is then this dude is big legit.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Hate to say it but they didn't do that. I was following them before hand because I had this inkling that they are VR Plant. Papagenos never gave out VRP's real name but I think it's them. Anyways, whether or not Crash as F6 is up in the air but, like, if he is then this dude is big legit.
Dude had 0 followers prior to Byleth's reveal.

Also, VR plant gets **** only a few days before, not what may even be close to 8 months.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, if the direct is Wednesday and it has Crash? That's 3 for 3 of the leaks. There's a good chance they're credible if both happen. Otherwise, I wouldn't call him credible. I also wouldn't say Byleth was that easy to predict either. Right now, the person is 1 for 1. That's not a bad start, but whether or not it'll continue we'll see. Even then, they specifically told us about the direct very recently. That's somewhat reassuring because it means they continue to have sources that aren't outdated(if this actually happens).

Either way, there's a very good chance they knew about Byleth, but that's possibly all they ever knew to begin with. I'm not sure what to think if they might be VRPlant or not. I'm not seeing a good reason to believe so.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You'd better be telling the goddamned truth.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It wasn’t that hard to predict Byleth

The Byleth fires have subsided and with it so commences the revisionism.

Thank you for this. It must've taken a lot of effort but I appreciate it all the same.

My sig has been empty for awhile now.

Now to figure out how to put these as my sig lol.
My pleasure. I figured this would be easier than reposting chunks of them over and over. :)

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm just saying..I had Byleth in my Sig from the point that Three Houses was released and GameXplain thought a Three Houses rep was likely as well.
Byleth wasn't that hard of a prediction, just one likely to make people say 'fake' because they erroneously assumed that the entire Pass would be 3rd Party characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It wasn’t that hard to predict Byleth
SOops.png

Are y'all really forgetting that quickly when this thread was parading around the Astral Chain deconfirm saying that Three Houses had no chance? Does no one remember when ****ing KOS-MOS was the talk of the town, that everything was going for her?

Or Doom Slayer with Cacamallow?

Or Phoenix Wright when Capcom was up in the air after the has-been celebrity leakers shot down everyone in a list? And then he got shot back down and got revived in less than 24 hours?

For in-general after the Fighters' Pass I can agree with you. But for FP5 not even I was anticipating that ****, I was thinking Byleth was gonna be FP6.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
View attachment 261858

Are y'all really forgetting that quickly when this thread was parading around the Astral Chain deconfirm saying that Three Houses had no chance? Does no one remember when ****ing KOS-MOS was the talk of the town, that everything was going for her?

Or Doom Slayer with Cacamallow?

Or Phoenix Wright when Capcom was up in the air after the has-been celebrity leakers shot down everyone in a list? And then he got shot back down and got revived in less than 24 hours?

For in-general after the Fighters' Pass I can agree with you. But for FP5 not even I was anticipating that ****, I was thinking Byleth was gonna be FP6.
If we're under the assumption that the guy had a private twitter prior to Byleth's reveal then if you have about 50 characters to choose would you not put Byleth?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm just saying..I had Byleth in my Sig from the point that Three Houses was released and GameXplain thought a Three Houses rep was likely as well.
Byleth wasn't that hard of a prediction, just one likely to make people say 'fake' because they erroneously assumed that the entire Pass would be 3rd Party characters.
Outliers and people who know more than they let on don't set the norm, they defy it. There will always be someone who says "I supported x!", but that doesn't constitute a trend in the groupthink.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It was totally erroneous for people to believe that it was gonna be all third parties. People just love to see patterns and assume that Sakurai's wild ride also meant predictable. But Byleth is a completely one-out oddity. Sakurai says "Assist!" to Spring Man, "Costume!" to Rex, but Byleth gets the save for a slot. I understand that Three Houses was in development hell for a while, but it was in there just as long as XC2 was. And yet, by Nintendo's orders, they chose the most controversial pick possible.

imagu.gif

I have no clue if this is just Nintendo trying to make us shooty shoot loving Americans that as a joke don't murder me more into Fire Emblem and hoping that if you throw enough Marths at a wall, one will stick. Sakurai said himself this **** was deep information that not many had access to. Assuming this guy is legit, he must be so close to Sakurai or Sora and somehow be ballsy enough to leak this kinda ****. Either that or he's blackmailing someone for info, which is hilarious to think about a conversation revolving around that.

I still refuse to believe that calling Byleth on the dime specifically for FP5 was meant to be an expected of people or plainly obvious. Hell, even if you had people saying it was gonna be Three Houses, you had to pick between the four Lords. I know three people in this thread who banked on Edelgard.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Yeah that just about sums it up perfectly. Kind of upset it took a Twitter bandwagon to get people to talk about his chances more but oh well.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Seems like a preview event is happening this week, probably for Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.
and hopefully NMH3

Wonder what Xenoblade is gonna bring in-store, since it still has no concrete release date IIRC.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I have no clue if this is just Nintendo trying to make us shooty shoot loving Americans that as a joke don't murder me more into Fire Emblem and hoping that if you throw enough Marths at a wall, one will stick.
I'm sure the monthly subscription to Heroes will finally do the trick.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It was totally erroneous for people to believe that it was gonna be all third parties. People just love to see patterns and assume that Sakurai's wild ride also meant predictable. But Byleth is a completely one-out oddity. Sakurai says "Assist!" to Spring Man, "Costume!" to Rex, but Byleth gets the save for a slot. I understand that Three Houses was in development hell for a while, but it was in there just as long as XC2 was. And yet, by Nintendo's orders, they chose the most controversial pick possible.

I have no clue if this is just Nintendo trying to make us shooty shoot loving Americans that as a joke don't murder me more into Fire Emblem and hoping that if you throw enough Marths at a wall, one will stick. Sakurai said himself this **** was deep information that not many had access to. Assuming this guy is legit, he must be so close to Sakurai or Sora and somehow be ballsy enough to leak this kinda ****. Either that or he's blackmailing someone for info, which is hilarious to think about a conversation revolving around that.

I still refuse to believe that calling Byleth on the dime specifically for FP5 was meant to be an expected of people or plainly obvious. Hell, even if you had people saying it was gonna be Three Houses, you had to pick between the four Lords. I know three people in this thread who banked on Edelgard.
Honestly, that kind of comes down to one thing in particular, when it comes to Fire Emblem: Three Houses, ARMS, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, only 1 of the 3 was almost certain to be a huge seller. ARMS was an unproven New IP (and it sadly didn't set the world on fire) and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a surprise hit since the first two weren't massive successes. Fire Emblem, on the other hand, has been on the rise as one of Nintendo's best selling series that fell outside of Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokémon..so if Nintendo was going to pick one of those three games to represent as a DLC character, it was going to be the one with the most things going for it. Nintendo doesn't care about hardcore Smash fans saying there are 'too many swords' or 'too many Fire Emblem characters'..the majority of Smash Bros. players don't care about that stuff and the DLC will sell regardless while giving more promotion to their successful title. Had they known that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was going to be the surprise success that it was, Rex & Pyra may have been chosen instead.

Was it a particularly obvious character choice? No, not by a long shot, but it was also far from an impossible guess either. Honestly, I do think that Byleth was the most obvious choice for a Nintendo DLC character, but considering few were considering Nintendo characters in the first place..yeah.
In regards to Edelgard, while she would have been an awesome character choice, I never found her that likely since, while important in each route, she's still mostly a representative for Black Eagles House whereas Byleth is not only the main character and avatar like Robin & Corrin before them and then main character which goes with what Sakurai always chooses time and again, and it promotes a new game, which most of the other Nintendo picks wouldn't (sorry Bandanna Waddle Dee and Dixie Kong..)

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I'm throwing my bet for this week or next week for a Direct.

If not, then outside of a mini Direct or such I'm thinking borderline radio silence til E3.

Outside of Animal Crossing, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Xenoblade 1 Remake by the rumours it feels empty from Nintendo.
Hell I would say for this year in general for me feels a bit empty so far.

D

Deleted member

*reads news and stretches arms*

If Mandy's releasing stuff about a Direct tomorrow (techinically), then we shall see.

I highly want to stay safe and assume that Crash won't be FP6. I mean, if this person is right, then that's gonna lead to people flockin' over. Or it could just be a guess, I could. say.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The big hit seller games aren't coming until the second half of this year.

For now, we can live with Animal Crossing and Final Fantasy 7. Kinda concerned about the remake though, wonder why they had to delay. I don't want another No Man's Sky problem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm throwing my bet for this week or next week for a Direct.

If not, then outside of a mini Direct or such I'm thinking borderline radio silence til E3.

Outside of Animal Crossing, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Xenoblade 1 Remake by the rumours it feels empty from Nintendo.
I'm hoping it's a Direct, but there won't be any Smash news. I mean, last year gave us one at this time of the year; we got nothing outside of Joker's model.

Dutch Raikuna

The big hit seller games aren't coming until the second half of this year.

For now, we can live with Animal Crossing and Final Fantasy 7. Kinda concerned about the remake though, wonder why they had to delay. I don't want another No Man's Sky problem.
Even then for me most of these are maybes and so far for the first four months, I've only bought Tokyo Mirage Sessions and a lot more are unsure about. Animal Crossing, Granblue Fantasy Versus, Doom Eternal are examples.
Compared to 2017 for instance in which and deep breath about 15 games I got all within the same time period, about bar two being new releases.
I miss that at the minute. The rifle shooting rate of games out.

Dutch Raikuna

Even then for me most of these are maybes and so far for the first four months, I've only bought Tokyo Mirage Sessions and a lot more are unsure about. Animal Crossing, Granblue Fantasy Versus, Doom Eternal are examples.
Compared to 2017 for instance in which and deep breath about 15 games I got all within the same time period, about bar two being new releases.
I miss that at the minute. The rifle shooting rate of games out.
Edit: I have the list somewhere. I'll find it.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
NateDrake said that its not for AC

Also they have done this before with the Cloud Reveal. If we looking at something at his level, then Crash, Sora and Master Chief. Of Course this could be anything.

Screenshot_105.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom