• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
MandyCan has said that the direct is this wednesday. So if there's a direct announcement tomorrow but it's for thursday I guess he was wrong.
Though at least we do know dates can be changed, etc. It depends when he got this information. It sounds like he's predicting at this point, not having insider knowledge.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, I don't know even know who qualifies as an insider these days. There are people who have consistently gotten stuff wrong, yet everyone in this thread goes nuts when they make a prediction.

D

Deleted member

I think there'll be a direct this month. Whether or not it will be this week or not remains to be seen, but if it's not this week then I'm counting on it happening next week.

What I don't think is as likely, is revealing the next character. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I won't go into a Direct expecting it to happen.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I know I have argued in favor of a reveal this month, but....

I honestly wouldn’t hold my breath for one until E3
And I must ask: why the long wait?

The closest I've seen to a good reason as to why we're waiting until E3 is that Fighter 6 is being held back for promotional reasons. A certain game is being planned for an E3 reveal, and since Fighter 6 is relevant to that game in some way, they're being held back to coincide with that reveal. It makes sense, though it does bring into question what game is being revealed and how big is it that a Smash reveal needs to be held off until E3 just to help promote it?

Assuming that isn't the case though (and it may or may not be, who knows right now), for what other reason would Fighter 6 be saved for E3? Is the character and their moveset that complicated that it requires much more development time than usual? Are we getting Heihachi with a moveset that fully replicates Tekken's fighting system, limb buttons and side-stepping included?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Around here, the real insiders rarely get invoked in favour of people who have incredibly shoddy track records. It's fascinating. But also a little troubling.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I think I'm out of the loop, isn't Mandy the one who did the typical 'make a bunch of predictions, delete the wrong ones and spread the account afterwards'?
Yeah, he's suspected of doing that. I personally suspect him of that since I've yet to see evidence of his twitter account existing publicly before Byleth's reveal.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think I'm out of the loop, isn't Mandy the one who did the typical 'make a bunch of predictions, delete the wrong ones and spread the account afterwards'?
That’s just what people theorize, even if it’s likely the case there’s no way to prove it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That’s just what people theorize, even if it’s likely the case there’s no way to prove it.
Tbf there's actually a few points that could prove it, the 'leaks' weren't in a single post but spread out as individual posts and if I remember correctly, some were as far as 4 minutes apart, which begs the question of why the account suddenly became inactive? Obviously there's a chance that they were merely interupted but to me it shows that there were posts in between the two that ended up getting deleted

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
And I must ask: why the long wait?

The closest I've seen to a good reason as to why we're waiting until E3 is that Fighter 6 is being held back for promotional reasons. A certain game is being planned for an E3 reveal, and since Fighter 6 is relevant to that game in some way, they're being held back to coincide with that reveal. It makes sense, though it does bring into question what game is being revealed and how big is it that a Smash reveal needs to be held off until E3 just to help promote it?

Assuming that isn't the case though (and it may or may not be, who knows right now), for what other reason would Fighter 6 be saved for E3? Is the character and their moveset that complicated that it requires much more development time than usual? Are we getting Heihachi with a moveset that fully replicates Tekken's fighting system, limb buttons and side-stepping included?
I’m just lowering my expectations.

I now don’t believe a reveal will happen this month, so E3 would be the bext logical opportunity.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Random thought but sometimes I think it's sad that Torna: The Golden Country didn't get any representation in terms of music and spirits
I know it was released close to Ultimate, but with the spirit events they could include at least some spirits from there. Plus, not having Jin and Mahlos as spirits when they're pivotal characters in Xenoblade 2 as well seems a mistake to me.

I know Xeno 2 isn't very loved by some people here. But I think Torna improved some of the problems of the main game and honestly, while I greatly enjoyed XC2 for some reason I have a major attachment for Torna.

Not having this or the new Gormott theme in Smash hurts:

I guess this is how Xenoblade X fans feel about X's representation in Smash, lol.

inb4 we get Lora & Jin for Pass 2 instead of Rex & Pyra

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Part of me would love to see Ryu Habayusa get revealed as a fighter and then just to confuse people also have premium Mii costumes for both versions of the main character from the Messenger.
Some men just want to see the world burn.

We can throw in a Mii Fighter costume of that protagonist from A Robot Named Fight! and Mighty Number 9 as well.

Character design is hard. Kind of makes you realize how important stuff like Lucina's butterfly mask and birthmark are.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Random thought but sometimes I think it's sad that Torna: The Golden Country didn't get any representation in terms of music and spirits
I know it was released close to Ultimate, but with the spirit events they could include at least some spirits from there. Plus, not having Jin and Mahlos as spirits when they're pivotal characters in Xenoblade 2 as well seems a mistake to me.

I know Xeno 2 isn't very loved by some people here. But I think Torna improved some of the problems of the main game and honestly, while I greatly enjoyed XC2 for some reason I have a major attachment for Torna.

Not having this or the new Gormott theme in Smash hurts:

I guess this is how Xenoblade X fans feel about X's representation in Smash, lol.

inb4 we get Lora & Jin for Pass 2 instead of Rex & Pyra
Torna fixed, like, all my problems with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and helped me realize the strengths of XC2 as a result. I just really dislike Rex, but Addam & Mythra or Lora & Jin? I'd be super hyped for.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
On the topic of MandyCan, I want to mention that the Smash community has a lot of wannabe detectives who scour the internet for rumors and leaks, no matter ridiculous they are. With that in mind, am I supposed to find it believeable that the Smash community somehow completely missed the alleged leaker who ostensibly predicted No Smash and (vague) Mortal Kombat stuff at TGA, and that nobody brought him up in the time period between TGA and Byleth's reveal which was longer than one month, which should be more than enough time for the aforementioned wannabe detectives to find him. The only way it makes sense is if his twitter account was set to private until Byleth's reveal... which puts his credibility and track record into question because that would make it easy for him to delete incorrect predictions.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Sabi knows stuff, but I can understand why others don’t want to give him the time of day; I don’t really want to myself most of the time, what with him apparently blackmailing others for the sake of e-cred and being narcissistic (at least he seems pretty full of himself).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Amazing how so many people here give Sabi flak, but they never give a reason why.

I guess that they are only trusted on this site when they say something everyone wants to hear, lol.
Pretty sure the reason is they always give vague predictions, do so in the most attention-seeking way possible, and generally speaking end up wrong.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Tbf there's actually a few points that could prove it, the 'leaks' weren't in a single post but spread out as individual posts and if I remember correctly, some were as far as 4 minutes apart, which begs the question of why the account suddenly became inactive? Obviously there's a chance that they were merely interupted but to me it shows that there were posts in between the two that ended up getting deleted
Yeah, there are definitely a lot of red flags about him, so there's no reason to hedge any bets on what he's saying, but there's no definitive proof that without a doubt prove he's a faker either. He's at least made it easy for us, unlike other attention seekers his posts are pretty clear and direct, if he gets either the wednesday Direct or Crash wrong he's out, if he gets both right then he's at least worth keeping an eye on, even if they're both fairly safe predictions.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At the very least, if not this week, I still expect a Direct sometime later this month.

I also believe we're getting a Smash reveal in that Direct. As pointed out before, leaving us hanging for months until E3 with a Fighters Pass we know almost nothing about is suicidal marketing... and even if it wasn't, it's still a much smarter choice to reveal the first character earlier than later, since it would give more people who are holding off until later a reason to buy the Fighters Pass now.
But Ace...

"Its gonna take some time for FP6" - Sakurai.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Amazing how so many people here give Sabi flak, but they never give a reason why.

I guess that they are only trusted on this site when they say something everyone wants to hear, lol.
For the past few weeks, if not months, Sabi hasn't disclosed anything, to my knowledge, which wasn't either a) incorrect or b) said earlier by a different, usually more reputable source. Moreover, everything he says he shrouds in an extra layer of vagueness so as to mitigate being wrong, however it results in it being less informative.

So, not only do other people get to the punch first, and with more clarity, but the truth is, if everybody had outright ignored Sabi, we'd be at exactly the same place we're at now, because he doesn't provide any actual new news.

Also, Sabi is incredibly egotistical for someone who has such an inconsistent track record, which rubs most people the wrong way.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, there are definitely a lot of red flags about him, so there's no reason to hedge any bets on what he's saying, but there's no definitive proof that without a doubt prove he's a faker either. He's at least made it easy for us, unlike other attention seekers his posts are pretty clear and direct, if he gets either the wednesday Direct or Crash wrong he's out, if he gets both right then he's at least worth keeping an eye on, even if they're both fairly safe predictions.
Actually, is Wednesday a safe bet? I remember most Directs typically being on Thursdays

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
For the past few weeks, if not months, Sabi hasn't disclosed anything, to my knowledge, which wasn't either a) incorrect or b) said earlier by a different, usually more reputable source. Moreover, everything he says he shrouds in an extra layer of vagueness so as to mitigate being wrong, however it results in it being less informative.

So, not only do other people get to the punch first, and with more clarity, but the truth is, if everybody had outright ignored Sabi, we'd be at exactly the same place we're at now, because he doesn't provide any actual new news.

Also, Sabi is incredibly egotistical for someone who has such an inconsistent track record, which rubs most people the wrong way.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the last thing Sabi got right without any piggybacking an Indie direct? Not the last one but the one before that?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the last thing Sabi got right without any piggybacking an Indie direct? Not the last one but the one before that?
Some of the popular deconfirmations he got right were before Vergeben backed them up.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Hopefully we do get some Smash news for a direct. It's not like Smash news only exists to show characters, they could be working on different game modes, fixing hazard-less stages so they're more competitively friendly. Maybe they're adding more past stages like Poke floats, Melee Mute City and Pac-Maze. Maybe the most unlikely of them all is they might throw a curveball and give us a surprise bonus character that isn't part of the Volume 2 fighters pass.
Sakurai said in the Banjo presentation that Home Run Contest was "pretty much the final mode". That vague statement could still allow for tweaks of existing mode things to come to fruition, like say, a Boss Rush outside of WoL's finale or a Target Test option for Stage Builder maybe, or even online options for stuff like Squad Strike, but there sadly hasn't been anything like that since that presentation other than the reveal of the "Convention" thing in the files being for testing players to be in an IRL tournament in Japan. That only just came up and near the presumed previously planned end of Smash Ultimate DLC with the last Fighter's Pass character being revealed/released, but there hasn't been any other definitive, named outliers datamined to suggest they're being worked on unless they've noticed the hackers and started hiding them like they did with the codenames of new fighters.

It's a damn shame if they're just dropping that development now honestly, because it's not asking for too much. Something like Smash Run would take a lot of development in creating mob enemies that they specifically lacked the resources for during base game's development (and what, was also the "main thing" of the 3DS game?) and just utilising beatable Assist Trophy elements for that isn't as thematically appropriate. But when we already have a WoL section where you fight all the bosses minus the Hands in succession and a drawing-based stage creator with breakable elements, would having a Boss Rush or Target Test spin on those respective things really be hard to implement? Or does that come off as redundant to them? That wouldn't be the case for online options for Squad Strike or 8 Player battles, though (assuming those are not absent because of Switch limitations).

If Ultimate can't have any more big modes, rounding out what we have now like this could be a good compromise, right?
One mii costume that I would like is Doom slayer + one music. I know he's been deconfirmed, but I don't know when the mii costumes are decided so maybe he still have a chance for that.
They seemed to add a Cuphead costume after the developers specifically talked about the prospect of Cuphead being in Smash, so it's possible!

Also, does anyone think it's 6 characters (with some people laughing in the background of the presentation video) because they planned to do one final surprise bonus character, but when they decided on making another pass they just said "screw it" and added it onto that? Though maybe that would only happen if they were already planning to give it a stage and music; Piranha Plant still lacked those.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You know what's great?

Japanese Smash 2 character poll.png

Nearly every single character from this Japanese Smash 2 poll has been included in Super Smash Bros at some point as either a Character, stage cameo, assist trophy, spirit or a Pokeball summon. Here is a list down below. I've used inspect element on the page just to change the names of characters that may confuse people.

Bowser - Character since Melee
Princess Peach - Character since Melee
Wario - Character since Brawl
King Dedede - Character since Brawl
Ganondorf - Character since Melee
Mewtwo - Character since Melee
Banjo & Kazooie - Characters since Ultimate
Toad - Part of Peach's moveset since Melee, Trophy and Spirit
Mew - Pokeball summon
Marth - Character since Melee
Mr. Saturn - Item, Trophy and Spirit
Ash Ketchum - The Pokemon Trainer represents him since he and Ash are based off Red
Fire Emblem characters - Fire Emblem has been getting new representatives each game
Gooey - Trophy and Spirit
Diddy Kong - Character since Brawl
Sukapon - Assist Trophy since Ultimate
Pokemon Characters - Pokemon has been getting new representatives each game
Meta Knight - Character since Brawl
Lugia - Pokeball summon since Melee

However there is only one character from this list who has not made an actual appearance in Super Smash Bros as of yet.

I'm talking about James Bond!

Since he's not a video game character, he is not able to join in the game. However there is one character that can represent him in his place as the defacto Goldeneye-esque style First person Shooter and that is...

Ha! Made you waste your time lmao!
22523319230_d69217a9fe_b.jpg

SGT. CORTEZ! TIME TO SPLIT!
It's time to split fast.gif

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still want me Boss Rush, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and All-Star Mode. Would make the game even more Ultimate but at the same time I understand Sakurai is only human and there's so much he can do so for him to go this far for us is better then anything.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still want me Boss Rush, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and All-Star Mode. Would make the game even more Ultimate but at the same time I understand Sakurai is only human and there's so much he can do so for him to go this far for us is better then anything.
I understand why All-Star became part of Multi-Man, or whatever it's called in Ultimate, an oldschool All-Star Mode would be ridiculously long at this point. I'm genuinely surprised we don't have Boss Rush though, I know there aren't a ton of bosses in Ultimate, but Sakurai usually puts them in pretty much every game he makes, even as far back as Kirby Super Star.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
So after much thought, I think Katalina would be a damn good choice for Smash.
She reminds me a lot of Charlotte from SamSho but somehow even cooler and it looks like she has a ****ing STAND?! I'm all in fro Granblue Fantasy VS!

I've updated my want list so much that I'm losing my mind but...I can't help it!

New Wishlist!
2B
Velvet (or Katalina)
Dante (or Nero)
Galford (or Sol Badguy)
Morrigan (or Chun-Li or Phoenix)
Master Chief

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
That has been heavily speculated. Depending if Crash is FP6, that will be the make or break moment for him, for us to know for sure he is lying or not.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Katalina isn't the main character, nor a company mascot, nor particularly popular. A peculiar product of fake leaks + smash bubble.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Sakurai said in the Banjo presentation that Home Run Contest was "pretty much the final mode". That vague statement could still allow for tweaks of existing mode things to come to fruition, like say, a Boss Rush outside of WoL's finale or a Target Test option for Stage Builder maybe, or even online options for stuff like Squad Strike, but there sadly hasn't been anything like that since that presentation other than the reveal of the "Convention" thing in the files being for testing players to be in an IRL tournament in Japan. That only just came up and near the presumed previously planned end of Smash Ultimate DLC with the last Fighter's Pass character being revealed/released, but there hasn't been any other definitive, named outliers datamined to suggest they're being worked on unless they've noticed the hackers and started hiding them like they did with the codenames of new fighters.

It's a damn shame if they're just dropping that development now honestly, because it's not asking for too much. Something like Smash Run would take a lot of development in creating mob enemies that they specifically lacked the resources for during base game's development (and what, was also the "main thing" of the 3DS game?) and just utilising beatable Assist Trophy elements for that isn't as thematically appropriate. But when we already have a WoL section where you fight all the bosses minus the Hands in succession and a drawing-based stage creator with breakable elements, would having a Boss Rush or Target Test spin on those respective things really be hard to implement? Or does that come off as redundant to them? That wouldn't be the case for online options for Squad Strike or 8 Player battles, though (assuming those are not absent because of Switch limitations).

If Ultimate can't have any more big modes, rounding out what we have now like this could be a good compromise, right?
Well since Sakurai said that Fighter 6 will take a while to reveal, it does give some room for additional content to existing modes. The one I'm most hoping for is an update to Stage Builder where you can create your own Break the Targets, board the platforms or even a story mode. If creating those modes are too much for the development team, they should get the fans to do it for them by giving us the tools and then allowing us to make them ourselves. Sakurai has seen what the community can do with the tools provided so there shouldn't be any issue with it...

... That or Fighter 6 is actually Sora and Nintendo are trying to break a deal with Disney of Japan to try and get Sora permanently as DLC for the game, get the voice actors to do the role and make sure Disney is satisfied with whoever Sora fights. But I don't know how these things go down.

D

Deleted member

That has been heavily speculated. Depending if Crash is FP6, that will be the make or break moment for him, for us to know for sure he is lying or not.
People have been predicting/speculating/hoping for Crash since the first 3rd party DLC character was released. Even if Crash is the first of the next wave, that wouldn't affect their credibility at all. I could have sworn this person's credibility was already put under heavy scrutiny for the leak 'suddenly' appearing and never having been found until after the Byleth reveal. People were scouring the internet for MONTHS, looking at EVERY SINGLE LEAK; you're telling me that this one somehow flew under the radar completely? BS; more likely, it was a part of a spat of tweets while the whole account was privated, then when the 'real' fighter was revealed, they simply deleted the wrong ones, un-privated the account and said 'look, I knew back in November who it was!'.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Katalina isn't the main character, nor a company mascot, nor particularly popular. A peculiar product of fake leaks + smash bubble.
I was unaware of any leaks or Smash Bubble. I just want her in because I was watching some Granblue Fantasy VS matches and she looks hype, her theme is cool, she uses a rapier (A staple when it comes to my favorite characters) and she has a damn stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom