• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm never gonna understand why he and Waluigi has such a massive fanbase. Waluigi I...I'm not even sure if I can still understand, but Geno, I 100% don't understand at all. He's BARELY a main character in a singular game that was almost never heard from again.
He’s a party member with some importance, I wouldn’t say “barely.” He’s just cool. Waluigi is cool too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So all of the talk about Sora has got me thinking a bit about a topic.

When Ultimate wraps up all of its DLC, which group of supporters do you think will get hit the hardest if the character they've been clamoring for never makes it to Smash? It's probably obvious to say Sora with all that's happening right now, but I'm thinking those that want Crash will be devastated if Nintendo skips out on adding him to the roster.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

When Ultimate wraps up all of its DLC, which group of supporters do you think will get hit the hardest if the character they've been clamoring for never makes it to Smash? It's probably obvious to say Sora with all that's happening right now, but I'm thinking those that want Crash will be devastated if Nintendo skips out on adding him to the roster.
Definitely Lloyd, KOSMOS, Heihachi, and any of the other Bandai-Namco character supporters. That would mean Bandai-Namco's only content in Smash comes from Pac-Man and their other arcade games.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Nah, Crash and Sora will probably still have fans wanting for the next game. I don't see that being the case for current first party characters like a SwSh Pokemon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Crash has been making a comeback and Activision's even considering Crash a major IP. I'd say Geno fans would be hit the hardest

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I want Mighty Number 9 representation in Smash, just for the spectacle of a ****storm it would cause.
There'd be so many pissed off Level-5 fans if that's the first thing owned by that company that gets acknowledged in Smash.

Oh boy...

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If breaking away from Disney meant Nomura could make the first open world Kingdom Hearts game on the same/similar scope as Breath of the Wild, then it'll be pretty painful for me, but I'd say goodbye to Disney with immense sadness, and tears in my eyes.

I've waited about a decade for Ammy personally, but I'd say the Sora supporters definitely, as well the Geno supporters hands down, but they also have the added pressure of trying to avoid the dreaded Mii costumes again, or they'll become assimilated into the ranks of the Mii Fighters, who at this point might as well be evil symbiotes/give mind that seek out unlucky characters that can't get in normally.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm never gonna understand why he and Waluigi has such a massive fanbase. Waluigi I...I'm not even sure if I can still understand, but Geno, I 100% don't understand at all. He's BARELY a main character in a singular game that was almost never heard from again.
Waluigi became popular because Wario is in and Waluigi is the last of the "Mario brothers" gang. I mean when everyone's moveset idea consists of him using sports equipment, you can tell the fanbase is scraping the bottom of the barrel for any reason to make him playable. That being said the duke of dorks made a pretty cool moveset of him using the game UI to cheat to attack people.

The origin of Geno's popularity is an enigma but I'd say it's a pleasant enigma because Geno looks like a cool character, he has a hand cannon and some magic to use so I can at least understand why people would want him.

Ordered from most upset to least upset

1. Geno fanbase
2. Sora fanbase
3. Crash fanbase
4. Namco fanbase
5. Everyone else

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, I think it's now or never for Geno.

Remember that after he missed the boat for Brawl, his fanbase, at least the online vocal ones, had more or less dissipated and scattered to the winds. It was basically Sakurai that revived the Geno craze with the Mii Gunner oufit and the interview acknowledging his popularity.

If he doesn't get into Ultimate, a game that prides itself on adding all these long standing fan favorites like K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo & Kazooie, I'm afraid he'll probably just go back to where he was during Smash 4, mostly forgotten about outside of a few dedicated fans, kinda like where Krystal is these days.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I'm gonna go with Geno. With Crash and many popular characters there's always the next game, their supporters won't abandon them. But for Geno's case it's now or never. Most of the arguments made in favor of Geno is that he's a popular long time favorite character and Nintendo and Sakurai know about this. Hell, Sakurai even addressed his popularity once and admitted he thought about adding him in Brawl. If Geno doesn't get in Ultimate I expect support for him will plummet hard for the next game. We already have two characters from Square Enix, and Geno's spirit is in the base game. If he doesn't get in now then he will never get in Smash, there's nothing really holding Geno back now besides a possible unwillingness from either Nintendo or Square Enix.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I think they will all be hit equaly hard

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Not fans of one particular character, but people who act like the purpose of this DLC is to turn Smash into an elite hall of fame where only the biggest gaming stars can join.

CureParfait

Smash Ace

I think Geno fans will get hit the hardest and maybe Waluigi fans.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Top 3 would definitely be Geno, Sora and Waluigi (Despite being already an assist trophy).

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Not fans of one particular character, but people who act like the purpose of this DLC is to turn Smash into an elite hall of fame where only the biggest gaming stars can join.
Tetris only has spirits and 2 songs, they've already failed if that was their intent.

D

Deleted member

I made this just to showcase characters I would like to see in future Smash titles.

Not based on current speculation:

image0-3.jpg

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Some first party characters like Springman, Rex and company. Depending in when the next Smash is released is highly possible that some characters have already missed his best chance due to the circumstances.

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman

That's already happened for us Isaac fans. We been wanting him for almost two decades, stretching back to Melee days. He's unique, his franchise was prominent during Melee and Brawl, his moveset potential is incredible compared to other fighters (much greater than his field psynergy, which is all Sakurai seems to care about, for some reason), he would bring a new franchise to the roster, he's first-party, and if argue he was part of the holy trinity of fan requests during the Wii U era (the others being Geno and Banjo, the former still in question and the latter making it in).

I think most fans would be hard pressed to find a character that has had as consistent a following as Isaac and been slapped this hard. Waluigi? Popularity was derived from his meme-like status rather than uniqueness or general appeal. Bamco reps? Only really considered after the Wii U game (outside of Pac-Man maybe, but he's in). Sora? He's had a huge following, and I would argue he's the only one close to having a consistent following as long as Isaac, but the always present elephant-in-the-room Disney has always made the situation questionable at best.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
People just want to see the cross-over get bigger. For a lot of people, they view Smash Ultimate right now as this once in a life-time chance to make the biggest cross-over in gaming media history, and people wanna see it become even more grand than it already is, because everyone knows this roster ain't happening again.

Personally, I don't feel the same way, but there's nothing wrong with people that do. The back and forth that started last night about first VS. third party is honestly leading nowhere, as it's just a matter of preference. There's no right or wrong here and people would do well to remember this, especially when the argument is over a video game of all things.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Waluigi became popular because Wario is in and Waluigi is the last of the "Mario brothers" gang. I mean when everyone's moveset idea consists of him using sports equipment, you can tell the fanbase is scraping the bottom of the barrel for any reason to make him playable. That being said the duke of dorks made a pretty cool moveset of him using the game UI to cheat to attack people.
I actually didn't like that moveset. I don't think "keep pressuring him or take damage" is a good design. Super Smash Flash 2's version of the character is pretty neat through. He's basically a weirder Luigi with some references to the spin-off titles. Also his Up Aerial spikes for no reason and I love it.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman

Pretty much Geno. Just looking at a couple of pages on the thread is evident of that. Heck one page may be enough

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

Geno is the only one I can think of. For many characters, there's always a next time, but this is never certain with Geno. It will depend on the fanbase's persistence.

There's also Rex. If a new Xenoblade comes along between now and the next Smash, he might have lost his chance. When Smash 4 wrapped up, I considered Elma to be one of the likeliest characters for the next Smash game. Then XC2 came along and the playing field completely changed. The same can happen to Rex in a few years.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Geno is the only one I can think of. For many characters, there's always a next time, but this is never certain with Geno. It will depend on the fanbase's persistence.

There's also Rex. If a new Xenoblade comes along between now and the next Smash, he might have lost his chance. When Smash 4 wrapped up, I considered Elma to be one of the likeliest characters for the next Smash game. Then XC2 came along and the playing field completely changed. The same can happen to Rex in a few years.
Considering Xenoblade doesn't seem to want to do sequels but rather rotate casts, Rex will be forgotten and people would push either a Xenoblade 3 character or Elma depending on if they get the X sequel they want

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Geno is now or never, but TBH even with that I feel personally that the odds aren't too high.

He has Sakurai admitting he was interested in putting him in, but apathy from his parent company Square Enix combined with his incredibly niche appeal and appearance in a grand total of...one game, with a cameo in one that got removed in a remake? I dunno, doesn't seem to me Nintendo or Square are that interested, and given Nintendo are the ones calling the shots with DLC in the end, I'd be surprised personally if Geno even crossed their minds. I really feel Geno's only true shot is if Sakurai himself pushed for it and got Nintendo on board, because I've gotta be honest, there's not much going for him in my eyes other than that.

I could be wrong, of course: This is just all my own speculation looking at the current trends, but if I were a Geno supporter, I would hope for the best, but definitely prepare for the worst.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I don't see what's so hard to get about a prominent Mario spin-off character having a sizeable fanbase.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't see what's so hard to get about a prominent Mario spin-off character having a sizeable fanbase.
I guess it's just because Waluigi doesn't really hold much significance outside of being that guy you can play as in Mario spinoff titles. He's not really an important villain or main character. He's just kind of filler with some funny animations. That's why people tend to be annoyed by his fanbase.

I.D.

Smash Lord
At least Sakurai acknowledged Rex, unlike Elma. If hypothetical XB3 gets hit with the TOO NEW hammer again I can see Rex making it.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Considering Xenoblade doesn't seem to want to do sequels but rather rotate casts, Rex will be forgotten and people would push either a Xenoblade 3 character or Elma depending on if they get the X sequel they want
Alternatively Rex could be like Chrom, were his fanbase just kept insisting on it until they relented and put him in a future game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
At least Sakurai acknowledged Rex, unlike Elma. If hypothetical XB3 gets hit with the TOO NEW hammer again I can see Rex making it.
People really seem hung up on the 'too recent' argument without realizing the context of game development and Sakurai's regrets with Roy. If XB2 was a 2019 game Rex wouldn't have had the 'too recent' comment

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
At least Sakurai acknowledged Rex, unlike Elma. If hypothetical XB3 gets hit with the TOO EARLY hammer again I can see Rex making it.
Poor Elma will always have a massive hill to climb, because she's not the player character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Poor Elma will always have a massive hill to climb, because she's not the player character.
Cross isn't competition for Elma, Cross doesn't even have a consistent design, personality or weapon
Alternatively Rex could be like Chrom, were his fanbase just kept insisting on it until they relented and put him in a future game.
Chrom's situation would require Rex already having a model in game and a character to be heavily cloned off of

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Chrom's just an echo fighter of Roy, though. He's just Roy without the hilt sweetspot and a different Up B. Rex needs to be entirely unique.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Cross isn't competition for Elma, Cross doesn't even have a consistent design, personality or weapon
I wasn't implying that Cross had a chance at becoming playable, haha. I wouldn't even want Cross.

Unless he looks like this.

1581196531920.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom